Masters Running

Thanksgiving Tuesday's Daily - 11.26.13 (Read 42 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I layered up and walked to the end of the driveway to find an icy road.  I went back in, shed the layers and hopped on the TM. 

Sounds like the smart move to me.

I am currently on a chat with Sony support on my other monitor, trying to figure out how to get my Smart TV to connect to Netflix through our wireless router.  We were getting Netflix through the Xbox 360 until a recent power outage, and somehow now it doesn't work.  I am the only one in the house who has never watched Netflix, mostly because I am LAST to get access to the laptop or tv, but I am expected to fix the issue.  Go figure.

6 easy-paced miles for me this morning in 32 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

I'll be in bed in another two hours, but needed to comment one more time, two quick points:

We often just take TC for granted as a friend, a good runner, a good cook. But please click on his link, and see some rational business comments on the market. His erudition is something to see.

Point two:  At TG, it's all about family, relatives, guests, travel, big dinners, lots of wine. I mentioned the other day we had a smoked meatloaf. On TG we'll have traditional turkey at SpareTire's house.  On Saturday we will all play WhirleyBall (more on that later) and then we'll all come back to our house for a ham dinner.

Years ago my MIL said, "Definition of eternity?  Two people and a ham."  You know this is so.  So I am thinking I'll have a ham with all these guests, then when they buzz off, I have:  ham and scalloped potatoes, split pea soup and ham and a bunch of other dishes to freeze.

It's not only possible, but a good idea not to spend a jillion dollars on food, if you are sincere, cook well, are creative, get others to help and just enjoy the company and not obsess about the food and cooking. My focus every TG is on the people. No one I know cares about what the food is.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks the super-masters article CR, penned by the webmaster of a Japan Running News

blog I didn’t know about covering Japan’s elite distance runners.

Yoshihisa Hosaka (Japan)
        . . . Age 60: 2:36:30 - 2009 Beppu-Oita Mainichi Marathon
        . . . Age 61: 2:38:12 - 2010 Beppu-Oita Mainichi Marathon
        . . . Age 63: 2:46:30 - 2012 Hofu Yomiuri Marathon

Ed Whitlock (Canada)
        . . . Age 70: 3:00:23 - 2001 London (Ontario) Marathon

. . . Age 72: 2:59:10 - 2003 Toronto Waterfront Marathon
        . . . Age 73: 2:54:49 - 2004 Toronto Waterfront Marathon
        . . . Age 74: 2:58:40 - 2005 Rotterdam Marathon
        . . . Age 75: 3:08:35 - 2006 Toronto Waterfront Marathon
        . . . Age 76: 3:04:54 - 2007 Rotterdam Marathon
        . . . Age 77-79: I wonder why he wasn’t running marathons for three years
        . . . Age 80: 3:15:54 - 2011 Toronto Waterfront Marathon. . .
        . . . Age 81: 3:30:29 - 2012 Toronto Waterfront Marathon
        . . . Age 82: 3:41:58 - 2013 Toronto Waterfront Marathon

No one I know cares about what the food is.  Spareribs

Just don't say it to most cooks, .. . or diners. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Funny how that works, Holly. Hope you can figure it out. Recent power outages here this summer fried our microwave and refrigerator fan motor... If resetting your netflix is all you need to do, you are lucky.

That Ed Whitlock is truly amazing....

5.1 miles on the treadmill tonight, with 3 x .5 mile @ 8:00 just to mix things up a bit. Actually, the last one was .6 mile just because that got me to 4 miles and then the last 1.1 mile was at 8:34 to wind down. We get on the plane tonight around 1 a.m., then get to Kauai a little before 2 p.m. That's a lot of time on planes so wanted to be sure to get a good little run in first. I hope I can run late afternoon, but we'll see. We're going out with MIL and both boys for Thanksgiving to a local restaurant, then say goodbye to DS2 for who knows how long while he's deployed in the Philippines.

(Holly, he says he'd rather be in Fairbanks (not Anchorage) for winter... being in the tropics in uniform is like wearing a blanket in the sauna, according to him!)

Marathon Maniac #957

In semi-professional news:  I was interviewed by some people at the Wall Street Journal for a new on line series of theirs called "Portfolio of Ideas."  My little segment is up and if you want to spend two or three minutes seeing me pontificate on the subject of bubbles and panics you can do so at http://portfolioofideas.com/.  Happy viewing if you decide to click!

Very cool!

Erika - Have fun!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."