Masters Running

Wintery Wednesday Runs (Read 608 times)

Yep - still winter here. 3 fresh inches overnight to add to the several we got during the day yesterday. I'm SO ready for spring.

Wimped out and went to the Y for a day of cross training. 45 minutes on the eliptical (Sue, I truly don't know how you do more than that) followed with some free weights, lunges and stability ball work. Not as many regulars there this morning due to the weather, I'm sure. I always feel like I'm the only crazy person there at 5:00 AM, but there are usually 30 - 40 other lunatics standing by the door with me waiting to get in.

Off to shovel the driveway before work. Hope the weather is better in your world today...

Tramps

Karin--nice run yesterday.  Your run and post on that other thread I started has got me thinking I should put some late hills in my long runs.

Some of you folks who nod off during movies need to get more sleep!

Dave--looking forward to hearing about your Bataan race; sounds like you're ready.

Jlynne--hang in there Spring's not that far off.

Easy 5.1 miles @ 8:18.

Heckuva day for hockey .

Be safe. Be kind.

Hi George, glad you came out of lurkerdom today!  Good luck with the recovery.  So it took you 4 months recovery for a tibial stress reaction?  Was that 4 months off entirely? I'm currently recovering from the same thing - I  took 1 month off entirely, and have been doing an easy run/walk mix every other day for 3 additional weeks, but still feel tenderness in my leg some days.  I'm being careful to stop if it bothers me so I hope I'm not setting back my healing.  Sue has the same issue but in her foot so I'm sure she'll appreciate your input too.

Hi Carolyn,

I guess recovery can vary by severity. Mine was pretty bad. I had to go back and look at my log. I stopped running on 1/31/09 and I my first real run after that was April 30th so it was actually 3 months. I just did what the doc told me to do. At its worst it hurt to walk. Dixie cup ice massages and lots of calf stretching are you friends. I also had to use arch supports in neutral trainers.

I took today off. Need it mentally more than anything. I felt worse yesterday afternoon and today. So I made an ortho appointment this Friday and that will tell me whether I have any chance of running Boston.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

good morning all.  Lovely Nor'easter around Boston today.  My foot seems to be feeling better the past couple of days, so since there was a short run on the schedule, I thought I'd test it a little.  Since we were in the section of indesicon (Will it be rain or snow?) I set out two sets of clothes--outdoors if it was snow when I woke up, or off to the TM if rain.  So--2.25 miles on the TM for me in about 25 minutes w/ WU/CD.  Foot felt good.  Hope it continues.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Morning, gang!

Jlynne - sorry about the shoveling, but good workout!  I watched the recorded ice dancing last night.  There were very few performances that I really liked - the newbie American team, Miles and Davis were awesome (I love the music from Phantom of the Opera), the Canadians that took the gold medal were wonderful.  Some of the other music left me wondering - what were they thinking???  I was quite unimpressed with the Russian pair who did the aborigine routine.   I saw a little of the women's short program last night and I'm hoping the DVR recorded all of the rest of it. 

dg - if the umbilical hernia is causing problems, you probably should have something done about it.   They usually don't cause any major problems, but there is a risk that a loop of intestine can get "stuck" in there and cause an obstruction (emergency surgery).  I don't think the repair would involve hospitalization.

Carolyn - I was hoping I had read George's post wrong - I saw the 4 month recovery time too. 

George -  hope you get the green light for running Boston!  I'm on the verge of writing that one off after looking at your recovery time. 

Stumpy - glad the foot felt good - nice run!

69 minutes on the elliptical this morning with an average heart rate of 149. 

My right eye has been irritated for the last few days.  I finally looked in the mirror last night and noticed that the eyelid margin was swollen and angry.  This is after the 3+ week cold/sinus infection and a series of unrelated infectious disease incidents.  I'm not stressed, and I've had half a dozen infections in the last month, so I decided it might be time to have some blood work done to see what's going on.   I had blood drawn this morning, and I go in next Tuesday for the results and a physical. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne – more snow for us today and tonight as well, only an inch or two, but like you, I’m ready for it to go away.

Sue – sounds definitely like a trip to the doctor is merited.  Hope they get you fixed up.

Dg – sleeping all the way through the night?  You mean people really do that?    No, I get up 2-3 times during the night (either my peanut bladder or Daisy's) but usually go back to sleep fairly quickly.

Enke – I’ve given the “TM vs. Outdoor” issue some thought, too.  While I do seem to run faster with less effort in warmer temps, with the TM this trend seems to be offset by a much shorter attention span and weaker resolve.  I can struggle through mile repeats or tempo runs outside by looking way off into the distance and letting some point of interest reel me in.  On the TM, I’m good for about a half-mile of speed, before I lose my mental resolve.  And what I really need to be doing for marathon training is those tempo runs, which are hard to do mentally on the TM and hard to do physically outside in the winter. 

Divechief – my best running seems to come in temps of 50-55°.  My PR marathon temp range was 49-54° and that felt perfect.  I believe I was better trained for Columbus last fall, but still ended up 2 minutes over my PR, but temps Columbus were something like 34° at the start, and I really felt like that impacted my running.  Maybe it’s just me.  I guess if people can be adversely affected by warm weather, others can be adversely affected by cold.

5 slow and easy miles for me today in 28° (ave 10:54).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, how did your sekrit meeting interview go?

I definitely run better in colder weather.  My two best Marathons were NYC 2007 and Columbus 2009 where it was in the 30's.  I hate training in my summer H&H but I defintely fly when I then go for a Fall race up north.  That's probably a factor in why my Spring races have never been run as well.

I ran an easy 5 miles this morning, where I had to continually slow myself down to keep with the plan for the day. Sorta sproinky today. That should mean good things for tomorrow's MLR with tempos.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good Morning!

Winter is coming.... rain changing to a trace to 1 inch of snow forecast......but it's Spring right now. 42° this morning.

8 miles  including first speed work since August. 4 x 0.5 mile repeats averaging 7:28 pace with 2 min rest intervals. 

My pace is about 40 secs slow right now but the knee did not mind the effort at all (my lungs were protesting though).

During the 2 miles of cooldown with Tory and Sadie, they started pulling and getting excited, I thought it was due to a runner coming towards us which would be strange. Suddenly, 3 large deer came bounding full throttle across the road between us and the other runner and only 10 feet in front of us.  Scared the carp out of me. I was thinking road kill.. me and the dogs!

ETA: 28 (before the run) + 27 (after the run) = 55 pushups

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, how did your sekrit meeting interview go?

shhhh...itstomorrowafternoon........

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

My traditional Wednesday morning fly by post here. 12 miles in the rain...it was fun!!! 3 miles easy, then 6x4 blocks, same as last week, at a 7:50ishh pace with 2 blocks intervals. My garmin decided that she did not have enough energy today, so she stayed home. I am always so glad to have my good old fashion timex for times like this.

Have a great day folks!!!!

Be daring today

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mariposai

shhhh...itstomorrowafternoon........

you better call me today then so we c an talk about how to best meet.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Carolyn - I was hoping I had read George's post wrong - I saw the 4 month recovery time too. 

George -  hope you get the green light for running Boston!  I'm on the verge of writing that one off after looking at your recovery time. 

Sue, don't let my experience deter you. Everyone recovers differently and everyone's injury is a little different. I was very close to a fracture at the time - I had significant thickening of the periosteum and elevated bone metabolism on the MRI. It took 3 months to run but that was unique to my situation. Someone in my running club just came back from a stress fracture two weeks ago and is running Boston. Her recovery was only ~ 4 weeks - and that's for a fracture. It really depends on where it is and the severity. How early you catch is pretty key too. I was stubborn with mine and ran through pain when I shouldn't have. I'm being smarter about it this time around (though no less frustrated).

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Everyone,

While it never gets really cold here in SOCAL, this time of year when the morning temps are around 48-54 are the IRC for me. The PV Marathon is in May so I hope the temps stay cool in the morning. I agree with Bill about not liking to run in the heat. At least we don't have the high humidity to go along with the heat.

Today was tempo run day for me:

2 mi wu @9:49 pace

4 mi tempo run: 8:42 (lost focus for some reason on the middle two laps); 8:18; 8:11; 8:08; Total time: 33:19 (8:20/mi pace). The goal was 8:12-8:33/mi pace.

2 mi cd @9:32 pace

55 push-up (20x2+15) and abs

Have a great day and great runs Everyone,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Marathon Maniac #957

you better call me today then so we c an talk about how to best meet.

I'll call ya, chick-let.  What's a good time for you that is after 4pm EST?

55 push-ups (20+20+15)

Tramps, u making me nervous.  (verygoodlucktoHollyfornoreasonjustsaying)

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."