Masters Running

Thursday's Daily: 1.2.14 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

It seems that everyone survived the New Year celebrations (or not) in fine fashion.

Denise, thanks for setting a fine tone for starting the year off, and congrats on your PR! The Hangover Classic has a good, fast course, so good for you for taking full advantage of it. I suppose you didn't do the post-race ocean plunge - I wouldn't have either.

Twocat, you're a funny guy! You don't have to drag your poor DW across the planet to start RA in the morning - just get up a little earlier...

Tet - biking is great cross-training for racewalking because it uses different muscles and it gets your legs moving a lot faster. Of course, not having to touch the ground with your feet changes things a lot. Running is good cross-training as well because of the use of different leg muscles. A good way to work on racewalking speed is to sprint (running) for about 50 yards, and then try to change over to racewaking without slowing down. It's challenging, but great training.

There was light snow coming down at 4 o'dark, and the roads were covered, so I donned my YakTraks for about 5.4 racewalking miles. When the snow wasn't blowing in my eyes, it was great to be out there. I saw an amazing number of fresh deer tracks in the snow, so I'm glad they got their workouts in too. More snow coming today and tonight, so I may be just doing a snowblower workout.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Good morning.  I hope everyone had a nice holiday, no matter what country you're in.

Good luck with that snow, Jay.  I understand lots of folks are in for a significant storm. Only an inch or two forecast for here.

EZ 5 this morning followed by my first core work in ages.  I figure since I'll be doing fewer miles this year, I'll try to supplement those with more (or any!) core work.  Starting nice and easy, though.  I feel like a resolutionista!

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning Jay and Tramps and all to follow.

I didn't watch the news yesterday, so was surprised at the snow we got overnight.  Roads were bad on the way to work and we're supposed to get a few more inches before the day is out.  At least the road crews are working hard to keep them clear, so should be okay to get home.

35 minutes of weights and core this morning, followed by 2 miles on the TM.

A deep freeze is predicted behind this storm, and weather forecasters are saying it will be (-10) on Monday night - almost unheard of to get that cold around here.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

EZ 5 this morning followed by my first core work in ages.  I figure since I'll be doing fewer miles this year, I'll try to supplement those with more (or any!) core work.  Starting nice and easy, though.  I feel like a resolutionista!

Good job with the first day of core work, resolutionista!

Jay, have fun with the snow plow. How much snow are you guys expecting?

Holly, I am sorry to see that you guys will be hit with this bad weather as well.

Erika, great run yesterday in good weather. Got any news from your son overseas?

It is so great to see how much faster Denise is getting? She is my inspiration!

We did get some freezing rain last night with some dust of snow this morning. The roads were very, very icy, but runnable with the yaktrack. 6 slow paced miles for me. I will do some core tonight as well to follow the steps of Tramps, the resolutionista.

Off to work now!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM #7877

Deep Freeze = Ice and I love ice!

Philippians 4:13.

Dave59

I introduced my legs to running in 2014 with a 4 miler around the icy streets.  Busy day getting caught up after being gone for a week, and we have people coming to stay with us tonight so I guess we have to finally clean my daughter and granddaughter's rooms.  They made a hasty exit at the end of June and both rooms still look like a disaster area.    At least the bathroom on that side of the house is in good shape.  All newly remodeled and not even used yet.  (And our wonderful cleaning helpers cleaned up all the construction dirt a couple weeks ago.)

mta: We got the upstairs all clean.  Worked up a good sweat taking stuff to store in the basement, trash to the garage, and bringing up a bed from the basement.  Then our friends sent a text saying they were staying somewhere else tonight.   (They have been staying in a cabin up north and were looking for somewhere to stay tonight that was closer to the airport.  They have to take their parents there tomorrow morning.  They found a volunteer that was closer than us.)

I guess it is nice to have all that done.

Following coastwalker's advice I got up earlier today.  Saw what time it was and went back to sleep.  So here I am post hours after the daily has been started. 

Dave59 any time construction is over it is time to celebrate!  Even small jobs seem to go on forever.

evanflein funny how your ideal winter running conditions are my ideal indoor workout conditions!  I hope you are having a good day off from work today.

tetsujin209 you know I wonder if my DW would be more amenable to moving if I suggested moving to Japan instead of Thailand? 

rasmussenmp good luck with your Avenue of the Giants training this winter.  I hope the weather cooperates for your many runs to come.

We were supposed to get switched from DirecTV to Dish today.  But with the snow around here I figured they would cancel.  To install a satellite dish on our house you have to get up on the roof and I did not see how that would safe to do today. Well, I asked and they said no they are not canceling and coming over.  Once the installer got here he did some inspecting and said they would have to come back since, drum roll, it is too dangerous to go up on the roof.  So, I have a new appointment next Tuesday.  In the meantime in addition to the snow we have now another 4 to 8 inches are expected to arrive.  But it is a nor'easter and that means 4-8 inches unless it is 12-24.  I have a long drive to Long Island tomorrow to deal with some real estate from my DW's aunt's estate which should be made all the more fun by the snow and sub-15 degree weather!  Oh joy!

In running news:  I went out for 8 and with some careful foot placement I made it safely around my loop and home.  That and one dash off the road to avoid getting run over by a car that seemed to think runners did not have a right to use any of the pavement.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Happy New Year, Friends ~

And congrats to Dove re her 100 miles at the Across the Years race in AZ.

We started off the new year with laundry and yard work (which I counted as may XT/ST for the day ), then I made homemade cornbread to go with the ham and beans Shorty had made the day before.  All in all, a fairly easy day.  My only resolution is to have a little bit better diet and see if I can comfortably get down to, and comfortably stay at, 140.  We'll see.  I refuse to make any promises.

Very sad news for us here on the North Coast.  Yesterday, the priest of the local Catholic Church, Father Eric Freed of St. Bernard's Church, was found murdered when he didn't show up for yesterday's 9:00 a.m. mass.  He had also been a professor at Humboldt State University for about 10 years.  My heart is sick for this community, his family, friends, and parishioners.  The church is right behind our building, about half a block away, and we use rent storage space from the church for our closed files. I'm fairly certain that the only way to get into the area where our files are located is via a main locked door, but it's still a bit unnerving, to say the least.  Not the way to start the new year.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Very sad news for us here on the North Coast.  Yesterday, the priest of the local Catholic Church, Father Eric Freed of St. Bernard's Church, was found murdered when he didn't show up for yesterday's 9:00 a.m. mass.  He had also been a professor at Humboldt State University for about 10 years.  My heart is sick for this community, his family, friends, and parishioners.  The church is right behind our building, about half a block away, and we use rent storage space from the church for our closed files. I'm fairly certain that the only way to get into the area where our files are located is via a main locked door, but it's still a bit unnerving, to say the least.  Not the way to start the new year.

Very sad news for sure - so sorry for your loss!!

Thanks all for shouting out about my race time - I am very happy with my progress for sure!!  My goal now is to train smart and stay strong and healthy for Boston!!  The weather here is FRIGHTFUL!!  Took my run to the gym - 4.2 rolling hills on the treadmill, 15 minutes on this trainor called Adaptive Motion Trainor - kind of like a cross between the arc trainor and a stairmaster -- then some upper body work and core work!

Planning on heading in to work tonight to share a sleep room with a co-worker so I dont have to fight the weather to be in for 7am tomorrow morning!!  Oh the joys of winter weather!!

denise

Brilliant

I went out for an easy 7 this morning, which turned into 9 because I ran into a locked gate.   I thought about climbing over and even gave it a small effort - but the fence was spiked; I decided that if I slipped I'd end up seriously injured.  I was only about a 1/2 mile from home, and the next-shortest way to my house was 2 1/2 miles.

deez, great 10K with PR.  fatozzig, what tragic news about the priest.

Nice long runs for mari, Holly, evan, and ibleed.  Good job on the speedwork for CNY.

This morning, it was about 10°, there was some wind, and there was some ice.  My Yaks and I did 5 miles at an 11:16 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Snowy commute run home this evening - I ran about 3 miles in about 4 inches of snow - all very fun. When I started out, I questioned the wisdom of my decision. The further away from public transportation I was, the more confident I became.

All-in-all a beautiful run!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

janie b good

hi everyone!  got 4-6" snow here too... and I'm not brave enough to run in the snow.  so, I did 45 minutes on the elliptical in my basement.  got super bored with that, so jumped off and ran figure eights in my basement for 1.5 miles.  I really need a treadmill.  oh, and I shoveled outside.  twice!

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Maniac 505

Leslie,  so sorry, that is awful.

Hope everyone can hunker down and keep warm as this storm blows over.  mid 40's in Seattle today,  not bad for a short run.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  No more snow here...just cold and getting colder.  10 more miles on the treadmill...at least I've had some good football games to watch.

Okay--I gotta get back to the game...I'm very surprised Alabama and Oklahoma are so close...I hope it stays this way.