Masters Running

2 Marathons in 2 weeks on one leg part 2: Richmond Marathon (Read 355 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Earlier this year I decided to attempt a Maniac feat of 2 marathons in 2 weeks on a low budget.  The only ones that fit the bill were City of Oaks on 11/1/09 (local) and Richmond 11/14/09 (2.5 hr drive).   The "Plan" was to run the first as a long run and hammer the second... we'll that was the "Plan"..

Trainning this year has been up and down like a roller coaster. After my best racing ever in February, I got an adductuor injury which made me miss running Boston.  Then that healed perfectly and training went well until July, including a 19 mile training run at 8:10 pace 8 weeks out from City of Oaks.  Then for the first time in 11,000 miles of running I started having a knee problem in my left leg.  This resulted in my training pace dropping as well as mileage.  The Sports Dr said I could run the marathon(s) after draining my knee.  City of Oaks was a steady run in the hills, mud and rain with 70% power in the right leg and 30% in the left. But doable. After 2 weeks easy low mileage I was ready to run Richmond but had no idea how fast.  These were the first marathons where I was good enough to get to the starting line but not nearly 100%.

My goals were simple:

1. Finish and become a Marathon Maniac

2. Get a race photo with a smile instead of the usual agony

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to stay with Tramps and his DW about an hour from the race.  We had a really good time talking about each other's past, present and future.... and running!  Tramps was planning to catch up with Rosie and RS who were doing the half and then meet me at the finish.  I gave him a window of 3:45 - 4:15 (I know a bit broad eh?).

Richmond is so easy. Parking near the finish and short walk to the start. I arrived 90 min early and camped out on a heating grate with other homeless  runners. It was 50° drizzle.  What's a marathon without rain?  And a few gusts of wind....

I had signed up for 3:30 time in corral #1.  My legs felt good, so why not? 

The race started and I had burning shins and ankles which kept it slow. I've had this the day before marathons but never during!  That was painful for only about 4 miles. I felt like a traffic island, stationary, with heavy traffic zooming around me.

The next few miles were getting better but not much speed.  At mile 7 there was a "Party Zone" dense with spectators yealing loudly which was energizing.  Then downhill, over a bridge crossing the swift, swollen James River and then a beautiful section along Riverside Drive.  After 3 days of a Nor'Easter, the James was really high.  At one point the side of the road was only 10 feet away from very loud dangerous looking rapids that once was a waterfall!   That was awesome!

Miles 7-10 felt really good.  Then there was a bunch of climbing which felt hard due to the lack of leg power.No soreness, just no power.  By mile 14 it felt like you feel after hitting the wall at 20!  When running on weak legs, this course feels like it is uphill without a break from miles 14-20. Not steep, just a noticable incline and looong straight roads.  Mentally taxing.

My half split came in a 2:03:XX (9:20's).  The second half was way slower with those hills and overpasses.  I never walked, except it did feel like I was doing the Moon Walk, lots of effort but going nowhere, or backwards.  Luckily this course gets easier after mile 22 and has a steep downhill finish the last half mile. I was passed by about 1500 runners but I passed a bunch the last few miles even though my pace had slowed to around 10+. 

The best parts of the race were hitting mile 24 and knowing that I'd hold together to become a (one legged) Maniac, and hearing Tramps, Rosie and RS cheering at the final stretch!

Now the smiling part: I'm Lovin It

So... mission accomplished!!

City of Oaks11/1/09: 4:12:23

Richmond 11/14/09: 4:12:59  ( within the window I gave Tramps.. hee, hee)

Marathon Maniac #1949

Now to fix that leg....

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

City of Oaks11/1/09: 4:12:23

Richmond 11/14/09: 4:12:59

dear MM#1949,

I'll leave the smiles alone for the goddesses, . . . it's those times I love!

You know you're a maniac when, instead of DNS'ing 'cause of injuries,

you do it anyway and just adjust your pace not to make it worse.

mm#209

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

And what a handsome Maniac you are too!!     Get that leg healed up - you have many more marathons in your future.

Great report and congratulations!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Yay, Perch!  Greta peekshure indeed!

Next one will be in Maniac yellow, yes?

grins and welcome!

MM #130

Masters 2000 miles
          stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Way to meet those goals!  It almost looks like you  were enjoying yourself.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Some people take great running pictures.  You are one of them and I am not.

Congratulations on MM status!  You did this with the usual Perch positive attitude, in spite of the challenges you've had this year with injuries.

Now - get that leg fixed so that you can move onto the next big thing.

MM#1856

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Yea, Perchcreek.   Many Bravos to you.  I loved the report and pictures too.

Hey the Goals were met.  Great happy Pictures!

Get yourself fully healed up.  You have such knowledge and smarts about running.  And you Love it too.  We want you back on the Roads healthy!

Welcome Maniac!  (Said in the nicest possible manner!)

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Huzzah!

Yay Perch!

I am so glad you wrote this, I was wondering about the river.  We didn't see it... I think.  

Congratulations on a nice 26.2.  Yes, do heal up that leg.  I wish we would have talked with you at the finish but, I felt like I needed to cheer for Emily. Although she felt differently...

Shamrock in March?

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats to our newest maniac!  Loved the pictures and the report.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I am not sure I would have done it with all your issues, but man you really showed some guts and pulled off a MM double. Congrats to you on an outstanding effort.

Hope the knee gets back to normal quickly.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Tramps

Steve--glad to see those smiling pictures.  You weren't smiling when you went past us; you looked seriously tired.  I'm not even sure you heard me yell, "Run, you maniac!" (Congrats on that.)

This was a demanding schedule, especially on injured legs.  I'm glad you survived but now you owe it to yourself to take the time to address that knee damage properly.

Be safe. Be kind.

perch, congrats on your two fine marathons, in spite of the knee problems, and in your new maniac status.  You did a great job of smiling for the finish line.   I hope your knee can now heal up properly.

TomS 

evanflein

Congrats on the maniac status AND the awesome race photos! You do take good race photos though...

Got your yellow shirt yet? I'm with Amy sayin' run the next one in that! Heal up that leg and I look forward to running with you again sometime. (did you enter Boston??)

--mm#685

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

That picture is worth 1000 words!!!

Congratulations Maniac!!

Francesca