Masters Running

Starting all over again - 8.1.16 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone, and welcome to August!

I'm glad the rain lightened up so you could get a run done (with wardrobe-adjusting, blueberry-picking, and construction-checking along the way), Evanflein.

Welcome back from your vaca, Holly. Sorry about the stomach distress and the still tender knee. It's OK to test the knee, but don't push it til it is clear that it is ready to be pushed. Nice work on the 'bribe' with DD - you're very tricky!

Congrats on keeping it easy, Mike. I hope you get the right answer from your bosses so you can help Ryan out.

Tet, I'll be happy to dedicate my workouts this month to those on the DL, but I won't have a streak that even comes close to your 15-dayer, and certainly not anywhere on the same planet as the other notables you mentioned. In fact, I almost always take Monday as a SRD, so I got nothing to start off the new month.

Have a greta Monday and month!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Welcome back Jay!  and here's a link to an article on race walking in the Globe if you missed it

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/specials/olympics/2016/07/30/racewalking-olympic-sport-people-can-relate/hCn9TvBYM6k4mWxZIocbbP/story.html

just 4 HHH running and race walking this morning after no running in the berkshires for 3 days - lots of family, friends, music, food & wine.  didn't go to sunday afternoon concert because of the pouring rain - western MA only, none in boston

enjoy the new month

marj

Good morning Jay, Marj and all to follow. Yep - it sure is nice to have order restored to our universe. Thanks for taking the "recap" job back Jay. You really were missed!

Sorry about the heat and humidity Marj. We've had a nice streak of days but it's supposed to get hot and sticky again at the end of the week.

Welcome home Holly!  Hopefully your stomach issues have cleared up and that knee benefits from a week off.

Nice run Erika. Do you have a rainy season up there? Sounds like this has been a pretty soggy summer for you.

Sorry about Ryan's breakup Mike. And you and Debbie are good parents to help him move back home. And you'll get your running partner back, right?

Boy - I am soooo out of shape from those weeks off. It's been brutal trying to get back in the groove. I don't even think I could run a 10k right now without having to walk parts of it. 7.5 miles this morning with LOTS of walk breaks. Too bad, because the weather was absolutely gorgeous.

DS#2 is moving today. I've been after him to sell all of his appliances (the stove and fridge are a little over a year old) since he won't be needing them in the duplex he'll be living in. He. Still. Hasn't. Done. Anything. That money could help him get by the next few months. That child drives me crazy!   The only good news is he got out before he lost everything. I really hope he takes this new start and makes some positive changes in his life.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good mornin' all

Jlynne and Mike, you are good parents.  Wow, again, the hardest job, or so it seems from the bench.  Blessings and good luck.

Welcome home Holly!  I can imagine work is going to be a bear.  Invest in Pepto and just take it an hour at a time.  And one of running chums is an Asst Prin. at a Middle School.  She's in charge of scheduling, so is dealing with complaining parents all this week who are up in arms over classes, electives, etc. 

tet, YAY!!!!   Love that marathon.  Do they still grill up a mess of salmon after the run?  I ate my entry fee at that race!!!

Bummer about the rain in my old homegrounds, marj.  You are running into rain more than your share of late.  Of course, it was NOT raining in southern California yesterday, so the LASER SHOW was clearly visible!

Leslie, congrats again on the run and the furniture and the welcome home!!

We have manatees in the canal about 2 miles from where I live, right on my regular run route!  Saw folks standing on the little bridge this am on my way back and several confirmed they've seen them there.

They're so incredibly homely, they're beautiful, aren't they??

O, another thing about getting older: woke up this am and thought I had skin cancer on my arm.  Then I noticed it was sort of large to have developed overnight.  THEN I saw that it coincidentally right along a rather prominent vein in my arm.  And recalled I banged the arm cleaning Simon's "house" yesterday.  Plus over the course of the morning, it's been receding.  So guess what?  "As we become older, the collagen and elastin in our skin become weaker because they are not replenished as quickly. This, among other factors, causes the skin to become thinner and the veins are more noticeable. This also causes skin to lose flexibility and it gets bruised easily. Broken blood vessels are common in old age. "

Ok, so I don't have cancer, I have "old age."    As a PSA, and with a tip of the sunscreen lid to Dr. Robin, I conclude with this:

Environmental factors like sunburns, windburns or extremely cold conditions can lead to broken capillaries. Sunlight is known to aggravate this problem, therefore always use sunscreen before going out in the sun. Also moving from one extreme temperature area to another in a short period of time can be a contributing factor. If change in temperature is the causing factor in your case, you should stay away from saunas or very hot showers.  (Or SW Florida???)

Heading into the countdown for the Monday night party at our house.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tet, YAY!!!!   Love that marathon.  Do they still grill up a mess of salmon after the run?  I ate my entry fee at that race!!!

Yes, yes, Dr. Grins, it's still Omega-3 heaven at the Sandy Beach finish in Douglas.

and all the veteran 5am starters were telling the FMM newbies all about it.

With my 15-day running streak ended with the Frank Maier Marathon and finding out I’m no streaker, back to now-and-then running and racing but with oozin’ awes for the real streakers and everyone who gets up and puts on their running shoes even when they might not want to.  I can’t even get that far. Even more regard for those want to but can’t because of the DL. 
            Lake water went down over the weekend so first day of many morning runs down the one mile trail to Mary’s Falls and back in the next two weeks up in here GS-;land, . . . I hope.   In fact, might be taking GS and friend down there this afternoon with their shovels and pails for making their beloved dams, ditches, and diversions, . . . same as I did too in those days.  Very nostalgic.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Nice marathon Tet, and all the salmon eating sounds great!

Jay - your vacation sounded pretty great

Holly, same thing, despite the intestinal issues.

I went out yesterday with MBE for a bike ride.  We did 45.5 miles.  I was hoping for 50 - which would be the longest ride of my life.  I was wiped out - not really during the ride, but after.  I feel like that is not entirely due to the exercise, but also from being out from 10 am to 3 pm in the sun.  Lots of sunscreen, but I just don't like that much sun exposure, period.

Tet - we went along the Green River Trial and also the Interurban trail.  Someday I will do the whole L. Washington loop.   MBE is trying to convince me to do more biking, but I have said, not until my body can't handle the pounding of running any longer.  Biking just takes too much TIME for the same workout  benefit, you know?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

(peeking in between phone calls and emails)

Jlynne - put DS's appliances on Craigslist and sell them for him, keeping a 20% fee for yourself.  Don't tell him about it, though, until (and if) he actually notices them gone.  

No run for me today, just 25 minutes or so of weights and core.

7 more weeks of summer!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

I love manatees!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

I decided to start out my month of August with some running. I did very little of it in July, and I'm determined to turn that around. Just an easy little trail run before he got too hot out. Bella and Bailey were thrilled of course. Off work until Thursday, so should be able to get in a morning run with them each day.

Tammy

Hi all -  home from Maine altho I wish I was still up there!! Haven't had a Mainerunnah siting yet this year but still plenty of time!!

I am slowly increasing my miles and have been feeling optimistic until today's 6 miler - not as smooth toward the end as I would have liked and had some soreness and stiffness the rest of the day. Maybe it's the back to back days which I haven't done in awhile. Biked 14.4 yesterday and followed it with a 4.4 mile run that felt great!! Guess I was a little too greedy trying for 2 days in a row!!

Erika - I have 2 friends from different walks of life visiting Alaska right now and they were both in Denali yesterday. So cool to see them posting from your state!!

Aamos - so sorry to hear about your friend. She sounds like a beautiful person.

Sweet dreams my friends!!

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Well...I went out for another 2 miler and stopped after 1.  It wasn't the searing pain...but it felt like it did right before the searing pain.  I ain't happy.

That's it--gotta go feel sorry for myself.  See ya!

evanflein

Awww Mike, that sucks. Hope it's just a minor "re-entry" set back.

Holly, I find the worst thing about taking time off is the mess of backlogged e-mails and phone messages you come back to. That's why I take my laptop with me on almost every trip. It's worth it to me to spend an hour a day clearing out the accumulations. Then again, we don't take vacations like you guys do! Welcome home!

Deez, I hope they're staying dry. Denali has gotten an incredible amount of rain this summer. Something like 16" near the visitor center deep in the park. Just crazy. There's a mudslide there that's blocked the road (the only road) so I hope they're on the right side of that mess.

Got out for a 4.4 mile recovery run today. No rain! Woot! I actually got warm at mid-60's and running easy. Legs felt tired but ok, but the right foot continues to be a nuisance, this time with a developing blister on my arch. WTH? In the shoes I wore yesterday with no problem, now if felt like a running right in the mid-foot. Grrr. Anyhow, I had taken the afternoon off so I went berry picking and got almost a gallon of beautiful blueberries! Now to clean them...

SteveP

JLynne, everyday is an opportunity to start over.

You are so effervescent, AAmos Y. It's easy to picture you as a hostess.

If you need an extra, GS, Tet, I'm available.

SteveP

JLynne, everyday is an opportunity to start over.

Thank you for reminding me of that Steve. I need to have more patience