Masters Running

Weight Management (Read 325 times)

SteveP

Festivities abound

It getting hard to drop a pound.

DW wanted to make me hot cocoa when I got home. I told her I'm still trying to work off last year's batch. Bless her heart. At the first Christmas party, we both took 1/2 of our order home.

SteveP

Prince of Fatness

172.  Down 1.  It's December.  The word "down" is in this post.  That's good.

Not at it at all. 

(to be sung to the tune "Carol of the Bells"

with my apologies for ripping off the Garmin commercials)

One cookie bite pants getting tight

Two chocolate chips land on my hips

Fudge and peanut brittle not feeling little

Too much red wine not feeling fine

Another dip with cheese no more parties please

Traffic at the mall budget is small

In-laws are here trouble I fear

Eating more for stress can't get in my dress

Gotta gotta get a run in

Gotta gotta get a run in

Up to 124

i keep fluctuating between 135 and 136 - have a feeling it might be like that til 2010!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Back down this week to 113 - my starting point before the holidays.  So far, so good!  (whew!)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

JLynne -

142.5.  I think I was around 144 last week, so this is good!

Yesterday was my association's Christmas luncheon, at which I ate quite freely of the wonderful fries I had with my Asian albacore sandwich.  YEE-UM!  Today is the Christmas party for my new job - a lunch that starts at 1:00 and goes 'til I don't know.  Good thing I have lots of miles to run this weekend!

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

That's one thing I don't seem to have: holiday parties to go to. I guess that's the dietary benefit of not having any friends... Oh well, I seem to make up for it all on my own. I am down 1 lb from Dec. 1, which is good, but I was really hoping for more. I think I need to step up the workouts (maybe aim for 45 minutes on the elliptical instead of typical half hour) and back away from the table.
                  Back on track after putting on 3 lbs over the fall.  What was I thinking?  In last two weeks I have taken off two of  those.  Just now, . DH has invited me to the local Mexican place for lunch.   I can do that, but need to be careful.  They have a good shrimp and vegie soup, but it is spendy.

Does this happen to anyone else? The less I run, the less I weigh. This October, in between marathons that were two weeks apart, I was kicking myself at 168...a record high. Now I'm down 8 pounds from that, and not putting in the same mileage. I think that I do tend to use running as a way to excuse culinary excess, and I could even see that "more time spent running = less time to cook= more takeout/ processed foods." Seems like I was in the upper 150's before I started all this marathoning bidness back in '07/ '08. I'm 6' 1"...sort of a string bean at that weight. I've heard others here state that their weight loss came from dietary management and not from running. Any thoughts on this?

Walt

I've heard others here state that their weight loss came from dietary management and not from running. Any thoughts on this?

Walt

I attribute about 85% or so of my weight loss to dietary management.  Yes, exercise allows me to "indulge" a little more, but I still adhere pretty close to what I learned in Weight Watchers.  I fairly consistently burn approximately 100 calories per mile.  If you think about it, it's very easy to consume 100 calories.  If I run 10 miles, it's a little under 1000 calories.  If I'm not careful, it's not hard to rake those right back in.  Give me a burger and fries (and I LOVE French fries), and there you go!

I think this is a "lie" (for lack of a better term at the moment) that many people tell themselves.  I exercise, so therefore, I can eat more/indulge more.  This exact subject came up yesterday at my office Christmas party.  One of the other secretaries commented that because I run, I can probably pretty much eat whatever I want.  As I told her, on the contrary, running makes me more aware of what I put in my mouth because I don't want to gain weight.  As Holly put it few months ago when we were talking about adding an extra 5 pounds - we wouldn't want to carry around a 5-lb bag of sugar when we run.

Weight Watchers was the best thing I ever did for myself.  It taught me portion control and accountability without having to give anything up (i.e. the "no carb" diet or Atkins).  Accountability in that, if you're going to a party and want the chocolate cake, you can't have the fries at lunch.  And portion control - we've become a society where bigger is better, especially with our food.  If you compare the size of dinner plates now to those of 30 years ago, the difference is quiet an eye opener.

Food management, a health diet, appropriate exercise - it all walks hand-in-hand with one another.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

evanflein

I understand exactly what you're saying, Walt. Before I started running, I was a total gym rat... at least two hours of cardio and weight training daily. I could eat pretty much what I wanted, but I didn't want much. I got down to 129 lbs, and sub 10% body fat (measured several times at the gym and doctor's because they were so concerned). I felt great, but was frequently cold and had to eat something every 2-3 hours or I'd get the shakes. Enter running... I gained over 14 pounds in 18 months, up to 24% BF at the peak and hungry ALL the time. It's like running turned on the furnace! I don't know how many calories I was burning before, but I know that even running 50-60 mpw, I was eating enough to gain weight. The problem for me, is when injured or tapering, I run less, but it takes 2-3 weeks for my appetite to slow down!! So, while I may enter taper at a good weight, I'm almost always racing heavy (and by heavy I mean over 140).

I don't eat junk food. Don't even like it. But I have no sense for portion control. I rarely don't take seconds. I eat low fat, whole grain, lean protein foods... but I love almonds and have a weakness for dark chocolate. And wine... oy. But still, I firmly believe that running makes you hungrier than other types of cardio/exercise. Not sure why that is...

#artbydmcbride

Well, I have a new ally in my Battle of the Bulge; some sort of severe cold/flu like illness. 

Runners run

{{{Ilene}}}  Too bad we can't have that problem for the appetite control and still feel good.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

evanflein

"I'm just one stomach flu away from my ideal weight."