Masters Running

Tuesday, April 5th--I guess a short TM run will have to do for the start............. (Read 37 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'll set the bar low for all that follow.  1.5 miles on the hotel TM this morining after I was a bit slow in getting going (again), but no alarm to blame this time.  I did more intervals and at least was able to work up a sweat and hit 8 mph for 1/4 mile.

I understand that the forecast for my 10K in Richmond may involve snow and 30's.  JTWILI!.  The natives will be amusing.  I may have to use a long sleeve shirt, but no way I'm racing in tights.

Hope everyone else's runs are longer and more fulfilling.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

........well, ya got me beat stumpy..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

Good Morning!

I ran 3.1 after work while David was finishing up tennis practice. Then sat around and watched him play for another 1/2 hr as I thought practice ended at one time, but it was really a 1/2 later than that. could have gotten in another 3 miles, but it was fun to watch him play. He's surprisingly good for only playing for 4 wks now.

He leaves at 4:30 a.m. tomorrow morning for his FBLA state competition in Portland which means we have to get up at about 3:20 and DH will drive him to HS where he has to be by 4:00 a.m.  He'll come home Saturday evening and probably vegitate the rest of the weekend. They get very little sleep on this trip and are busy non-stop from early morning til about midnight each night.  I get exhausted and cranky just reading their hour-by-hour schedule!

no run today as I'll be busy getting him all packed, ironing his business attire, hopefully getting to bed early.

Tammy

Mornin' Glories ~~

Tammy - I listened to a Radiolab podcast the other day called "Debatable," which was about debates. I found it utterly ridiculous how fast they had to talk, not to mention I couldn't understand a word they were saying.  Is that what's happening with HS debates?

Portland Marathon - What's the skinny as to when people are showing up, etc.?  If I drive 8 hours (one way) just to see you all, you'd better make it worth my while!    Tammy - Are you going, or are you interested in going as a cheerer-on-er?

No tights, huh, Stumpy?  Just a long sleeve shirt?  Ain't that gonna be a bit chilly for the nether regions???

6 miles this a.m. in crisp conditions under a star-filled sky.  My legs were still squawking a bit from Sunday's run, but it went better than I anticipated.  I was supposed to go in this morning to get blood drawn for an annual work up, but (a) I didn't get up early enough to get to the lab and then get to work on time and (b) I forgot the "nothing for 12 hrs" thing and chewed gum on my run.  Don't know if the gum would affect anything, but decided to go tomorrow instead.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

C-R

........well, ya got me beat stumpy..........

me too but then again I haven't run in over 4 weeks. Found out today I have a meniscus tear and require arthroscopic surgery. No idea when just yet. Likely in the next couple of weeks. Anyone have any experience with that? Would love to hear some details on recovery actions and times. My surgeon said where my tear is located is the least invasive and he's performed over 3000 of these operations successfully. When asked about older vs. younger runners, he said most of his have been younger but the rest of my knee looks very good.

Oh well another page of the story turns.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

but no way I'm racing in tights.

How about a cape?

{{{CR's knee}}}

The forecast (at the moment) for my marathon start on Sunday is 25 degrees.  I just realized I have never started a marathon that cold.  I normally don't do marathons in really cold weather.  Looks like I will be layering like the Stay-Pufft Marshmallow Man in my thrift-store layers, so I can slowly shed them as the temperature climbs (somewhere in the 40's is what they are currently saying).  I am a cold weather wussy and it gets pretty windy out on the farm-country roads where this race takes place.

5.6 miles for me this morning watching Grantchester.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Mornin' Glories ~~

Tammy - I listened to a Radiolab podcast the other day called "Debatable," which was about debates. I found it utterly ridiculous how fast they had to talk, not to mention I couldn't understand a word they were saying.  Is that what's happening with HS debates?

Portland Marathon - What's the skinny as to when people are showing up, etc.?  If I drive 8 hours (one way) just to see you all, you'd better make it worth my while!    Tammy - Are you going, or are you interested in going as a cheerer-on-er? 

For this particular competition, he's competing in "American Enterprise" category. (this is something different than the debate team he was on) There are tons of different categories for FBLA but it's not like a debate team scenario. David and his 2 partners developed a business leadership course to be taught at a middle school. For a week each quarter they go to the MS, teach about nonprofits, business, business etiquette (actually have a business etiquette luncheon that is generally also attended by the mayor or a council person, plus news coverage). His team then presents their business class curriculum, results, summary, etc. to the judging panel in Portland. Other Oregon schools that have an American Enterprise team (not all HS's do) also do their presentation. Top 4 teams in Oregon will go to Nationals in Atlanta in June.  David's HS FBLA team has held 14 consecutive State Titles. They are a very strong team with a top notch Advisor who really knows how to prep these students to compete at the State and National Stages. For such a small HS, they are pretty much known both statewide and nationwide as the school to beat. 

Portland: I do not plan on running it, but if you wanted to do a road trip Leslie, I'd totally be up for that!

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Stumpy, snow and 30s sounds like perfect race weather!    Should give you an advantage over the locals, anyway!

Norm, bummer about the meniscus surgery.  That's what my doc originally thought was wrong with my knee, so I was happy  to hear it's a stress fracture.  They do amazing things with arthroscopic surgery these days.

I'm still not running, but walking every day.  My knee does okay with short walks, but longer walks make my knee swell up afterward.  When I had a tibial stress fracture 6 years ago, it was not near a joint,  so there was no swelling.  This fracture is right at the top of  my tibia below my knee, so the whole knee seems involved and healing seems slower.

Anyway, we spent a week at Indian Creek south of Moab, at a beautiful climbing area.  Now we're in Arizona, heading for Mt Lemmon near Tuscon, for more climbing and camping.  Nice and warm here.  Loving the Sprinter camping!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

How about a cape?

Sorry, that's reserved for Steve.  No way I'd steal that.

Ok, there MAY be shorts involved.

Good luck and fast recovery, Norm.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

after four straight days of two-miles each
                      but with the rest of the day with GS
                      same as a marathon or more,
                      zero for me today too.
                      Congratulations Amy, . . . and Bruce.
                      Was he there for the first time?
                      ps stumps - you wear ‘em for training though, don’t you?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

C-R before you go in for surgery read http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/846666 and Google related articles in either medical journals or reports drawn directly from the medical journals. There is mounting evidence that knee surgery for meniscus tears and related issues may not do any good.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Henrun

All about knees and cold today. Norm, my PTherapist thinks I might have a slight medial meniscus tear. So far I'm continuing with PT. It gets slightly better, I try to run and it gets worse. I'm now trying to lay off the running and just walk and use the elliptical and cycle at the gym. But , once the weather improves, it'll be difficult  to avoid a bit of slow running.

Portland: I do not plan on running it, but if you wanted to do a road trip Leslie, I'd totally be up for that!

We need to talk then!  We could be the cheering squad for everyone.  My cowbell needs some action!  BTW - The marathon is on a Sunday (Oct. 9).

C-R - Good luck with the knee issue.  I have no words of wisdom.

Carolyn - I'm surprised they don't have you on crutches.  It would seem with a stress fracture, the goal would be to take all pressure off until it's healed.  Not that I'm wishing you were on crutches, but I know when I had my foot issue and I didn't have the money to pay for an MRI, therefore we didn't know if it was a stress fracture or a ligament tear, the doc told me he'd prescribe the same treatment either way - crutches for 3 months.  Ah, those were the days! . . . not! 

I feel so much better knowing Stumpy is going to at least wear shorts. . . . . I could go further with this, but I won't.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

We need to talk then!  We could be the cheering squad for everyone.  My cowbell needs some action!  BTW - The marathon is on a Sunday (Oct. 9).

you also need to make sure and bring your cowbell to the relay. I know everyone in our van is really looking forward to that! lol

okay, i'm marking my calendar Leslie - 10/9!!

Tammy

moebo

Haven't checked in here in quite a while because I am not running these days and am trying not to think too much about what I am missing. But I wanted to give my perspective on C-R's question about repairing a torn meniscus, so...

I twisted my knee while gardening in the summer of 2013 and knew immediately that I had messed something up in my right knee. A couple of weeks later, the ortho confirmed that I had a meniscus tear that "would never heal on its own," so I scheduled surgery for a few weeks later.

While I waited I did a little research and saw that there was some question as to whether surgery was truly warranted. But, while my knee got a little better during that time, it never got so much better that I thought I could cancel the surgery, especially if I ever wanted to run again! And sometimes it hurt A LOT, especially when I was driving.

Anyway...I had the surgery on a Wednesday and was back at work on Monday. I was able to walk pretty much right away (I even went to see a Jets game at the Meadowlands just 10 days afterwards, and the stairs were no trouble at all.). I don't remember how long I was off running, but it couldn't have been more than a couple of weeks before I started a cautious return-to-running plan.

Today I am still vaguely "aware" of that knee, but it hasn't given me any trouble at all in the past 2 1/2 years. I wish I could say the same for my darn hip! But that's another story...

So, long story short (too late): no regrets!