Masters Running

Whensday? 3.16.16 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I only have a few minutes this morning, so I'll leave the discussion of cross multiplication to the math teachers. Also, we have an appointment in a few weeks to update our wills. We learned when my dad passed away in '02 how important having a will is. There really isn't a good reason for any adult not to have one.

6.3 easy RW miles at J o'clock on this moderately mild, misty morning. I'm still in recovery mode, so I just took it easy (as if I had a choice...). Now I'm on my way out for Breakfast With the Boss® before a 9am meeting.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I was up and out early this morning too -- realized after a sluggish day yesterday where I kept putting off my workout and putting too much in my mouth I do better with my early morning routines!!

5:30 30 minute spin + 15 min ab/core class, 1.2 miles on the treadmill (running outside feels better), 10 min rowing machine then a little more strength and stretching. Trying to get to 9am mass before my in home nursing duties begin as well!!

Have a great Whenesday my friends!!

denise

Well - good thing I run more often than I post. The schedule continues and will hopefully include a run with Marj next week. I have restarted my Wed morning walk/run with my good friend J - we stopped two years ago when John was diagnosed, but ... this morning we went and ran into F- who we see every Wed morning walk. He joked that he had put out a Missing Persons Report on us - so happy to just be back at it.

Nice way to start the day Jay and Denise!

Happy Trails to all who follow

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

TammyinGP

I saw the word cross-multiplication and my eyes immediately crossed and my head tilted in confusion. . . .yep, math was not my thing. I'm so glad my son (16) gets math and it comes easier to him than most students.

tonight is his first tennis match. this outta be interesting. . .

and last night was the parent meeting about the upcoming State and National trip (if your child advances to Nationals) in Atlanta this summer. good thing he's the school store manager, because that paid for his $450 state trip. Now to come up with 2K for the National trip in June. 

I might get in a run after work today - depends on what time his match his. if we have to wait around an hour or so before he starts playing, then I'll head out for a run.

Have a great day everyone!

Tammy

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I saw the word cross-multiplication and my eyes immediately crossed and my head tilted in confusion. . . .yep, math was not my thing. I'm so glad my son (16) gets math and it comes easier to him than most students.

HOWEVER. One thing I am emphatic about is discouraging these kids from labeling themselves!  One little girl told me, "I am just not good at math."  I told her she was not allowed to say that. She can say, "I need to work more on math."  And you know what?  She smiled at me. She smiled big and said, "Yes. I need to practice." I told her we can practice together. And I told her she is a very bright little girl.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

King of PhotoShop

Good lesson to her Barbara.

Jay, glad to see you're getting your will taken care of.  I'll message you my address and SSN so the lawyer doesn't have to call me.

Deez, I've never taken an albacore class but I make a pretty good tuna noodle casserole, a big hit on Lenten Fridays here.

Glad to see you back at it LaT.

Tonight we are meeting Lou and Harriet for dinner in a nice restaurant.  They are here for the annual RRCA Convention.  Saturday night is the gala dinner to conclude the meeting along with the awards ceremony. I am the master of ceremonies.

Saturday is our "Dash Down Greenvile Ave", the annual St. Patrick's Day race, a 5K. I'm doing it with my son to fulfill my goal of at least one race a month.

Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

HOWEVER. One thing I am emphatic about is discouraging these kids from labeling themselves!  One little girl told me, "I am just not good at math."  I told her she was not allowed to say that. She can say, "I need to work more on math."  And you know what?  She smiled at me. She smiled big and said, "Yes. I need to practice." I told her we can practice together. And I told her she is a very bright little girl.

I love this!

LaT - so good to see you popping in!

I love what an interest my DS is taking in the political race.  We talk about it frequently, and while I don't always agree with him, I love to hear his insights.  Yesterday he voted for the first time.  Have I mentioned how much I love that boy?  

Another early morning take-DD-to-school-for-a-club-meeting cut my run short again.  I really need to get up earlier, but it is so much easier to roll over and laze about until the alarm goes off.....

4.2 miles on the TM for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

LaT, come run the Waterville 5K April 17!

I have to scoot--had my mentoring session today and then leaving a bit early for the mentoring get-together--trying to get DH to sign on.  Fortunately, my student doesn't ask for my help with her high school math.  She runs the 800 and the 4 x 400 and yet thinks only the 200 runners are sprinters.

Ran some last night and so some slow ones this am.  Still could feel some coolness in the air, but it's more due to the lack of daylight, I think.

Numbers are out for Boston.  I'm 16478--wave 3, 1st corral.  That means I don't have to take the early busses and have open road for the start.  All good.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

wildchild

Carolyn

I love math!  It comes easily to me, and I think it's fun.  My DD is also a math genius.  I think some people's brains are wired for it, and some have to work hard to understand it (even if they're really good at other subjects), but I agree 100% with  Barb that kids should be encouraged to try.

Still no running -- stoopid knee!  I can't even walk far without it hurting, and I'm starting to feel like a slug, so yesterday I hopped on my DH's elliptical, which I hate (and didn't want him to buy in the first place) - I managed 30 minutes and worked up a sweat, and it didn't seem to bother my knee, so I guess I'm doing more today - yay...

LaT - how nice that you picked back up with your Wednesday walk/run, and ran into an old friend!

Holly, glad to hear your DS is involved in politics, and that he voted.  It's so important not to take our right to vote for granted!  My DD said that when she was a freshman, they had voter registration booths all over campus, and everyone asked her if she was registered, but she was only 17 and not old enough yet.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

La Tortuga see if you can get a copy of that missing persons report. A former running partner of mine could use to see a copy. She went from running regularly (and winning her AG in many of the races she entered) to doing no more than 3 miles a couple of times a week. I hate losing a good running partner.  

Holly S. I remember being able to vote for the first time. I thought finally! Good to see your son thinking about issues and candidates.

For me it was back on the elliptical today. I am actually pretty happy about that! wildchild who knows maybe you will come to love it. Does it have a climb up a 3000' ski hill setting? 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sayhey! MM#130

You all made me remember my mom giving me a little (2.5 inches) plastic donkey and plastic elephant in 1972, my first voting year.  Hung onto them until the great TFA/Mississippi Purge .

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Howdy Doo. I haven't been around, and I don't know why.  Too much computer time between work and transcription at home, and I just get burned out being on the thing.

Tammy - I have no idea what's going re the subject of math, but I have to agree with your comment.  Math was the hardest subject for me in school.  I would study so, so hard for a test, only to end up with a D or once in awhile an F.  It was a real confidence killer, not to mention a GPA killer.  To this day, I swear my Algebra II teacher passed me my senior year just because she really liked my mom (who worked at my high school), because I honestly don't think I passed my final.  I never asked.

I can't get my 310XT to download and now it's on the fritz.  Yesterday, less than 2 min into my run, it dropped the satellite contact, and when I turned it off and then back on, it wouldn't power past the "Garmin page."  I did a hard reset, losing all my data, reset everything, turned it off then back on, same problem.  It's not even 3 years old and this has happened twice in about a year's time.  It's very frustrating and very maddening because that sucker cost me over $300.  It should live longer than a little over 2 years!  I have a race this weekend and I hope I can get it to at least count down the time and add up the miles. (It works when I reboot it and reset it, just not when I turn it off and try to turn it back on.  I have to go through the process all over again.)  If it's still on the fritz, I'll see about sending it to Garmin to try and find out what the problem is. Searched the issue on the 'net, and this appears to be a consistent problem with the 310xt.

If you know of a better option than Garmin - one that will track a satellite well in the trees, I'm all ears.  My 305 was such a fantastic workhorse.  I was sorely disappointed when it finally kicked the bucket.

Anyhoo - it was EZ 5 miles yesterday and 3 today with about 8 x 20 sec strides thrown in.  Friday, I and my running partner will be driving a couple of hours east to participate in the 4 MPH Challenge on Saturday.  You have 90 min to traverse 6 miles.  If you make it in less than 90 min, you sit and wait for the full 90 min to pass.  Then everyone who finished the 6 miles has 90 min starts together and heads back.  If you get there before the 90 min is up, you wait, rinse, repeat.  So long as you traverse the 6 miles within the 90 min period, you're still in the game.  The first time you miss the 90-min cutoff, you're outta the race.  The race ain't over until the last person either quits or doesn't make the 90 min.  I think last year a guy did 105 miles before finally being eliminated.

There were three distances to sign up for: 12 miles, up to 36 miles, and unlimited.  I signed up for the "Up to 36 miles."  If I make all 36 and want to continue, I can pay extra $$ to keep going as long as I don't get timed out.  We'll see what happens.

It's mostly a self-supported run with the RD providing water and at some point cooking up some soup and quesadillas.  So yesterday I went shopping for food stuffs for the two of us.  Tried to not overdue it while getting enough of a variety that if one of us gets tired of eating something, we have other options.  We'll see how Heidi does.  She's never run an ultra before and signed up for the "Up to 36 miles."  I've told her over and over she has to pay attention to pace and calorie intake.  If nothing else, this will give her a chance to practice all that without having to worry about aid station cutoffs.

OK - I've blabbed enough.  Later!!

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Since I am bored watching my program produce numbers as it crunches through 500 repetitions of the same exercise I figured I would pop back in here with an observation I always find amusing. I just saw an article where someone was mad at being called a jogger. It seems that when people that go out on frequent two legged jaunts at something faster than a normal walk are called "joggers" many are offended. I know several here are! But, I am stumped as to why. No really. I am a jogger. I confess. How do I know? I have seen real runners. The ones that finish a marathon in 2:10. They are runners. In any kind of race they would run right by me too. Such is life. Telling me I am what I am, yawn.

Okay, blast away! This is a bit of a trolling post. But, I am bored and what else is there to do but get everyone's blood pressure up. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Ok, this is what I think a jogger is:

Someone that takes up running for only a few months, quits, then a year or two later starts again.  They never really like it, or like it enough or do it enough to get addicted to it.

My brother is a jogger.  He quits every winter for about 6 months, then starts again in the spring.  He never does more than the loop around his neighbourhood, which is 4K.

I was a jogger in my teens, twenties and thirties.

I was a jogger for the first 3 months I started consistently running at age 42, then one day I became a runner.  It happened overnight, literally!  I went from forcing myself to do it, to craving it.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

JOGGER - Someone who doesn't really care if they move beyond a snail's pace, prefers tracksuits (usually velour), would never consider entering a race of any distance, may venture out once or twice a week, but *yawn* really just couldn't care less about this whole exercise thing but is willing to at least put in what appears to be effort, if for no other reason than to get his/her doctor and/orspouse off his/her back about needing to exercise more before he/she has a heart attack or a stroke.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance