Masters Running

Tuesday 13 April Runs, etc. (Read 549 times)

I'm going to bump FatoZ's incredible 50 mile accomplishment as a way of starting the daily.

RR, Leslie? huh? huh?

Timbo showed up last night...made the daily a 3-pager.

5 easy for me this morning, about 9 m/m. Walt

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Good morning everyone,

Leslie - 50 miles - wow!  That's awesome.

I was lucky to get in 8 miles this morning.  I just keep thinking - Boston is the reward, not the PR race.  But I'll still go out too fast on Monday.

In the meantime, the auditors are here.  Yikes.

That's my attitude about Boston also PBJ.  I'm going to enjoy this one!

No rain today so I got out for 4 easy, sproinky miles this morning.  One more big workout tomorrow, then I do nothing but filler runs till Boston.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Morning, gang!

Walt - nice bump to start the day!

Leslie - awsome 50 miler, and I love the rubber chicken.  My DH is in awe and insanely jealous - he really wants to do a 50 mile race.

PBJ - good luck with the auditors!

Eliz - congrats on a new PR - keep it up!!

Hey Tag - you are a riot - keep those posts coming my furry friend!

Thanks for the kind words everybody.  Enke - no real secret.  I've been reading a book on weight loss that targets runners.  It's been enlightening and made a lot of sense.  The fastest way to get faster is to lose weight (assuming one can stand to lose a few pounds).  I looked back at some old statistics, and my fastest races were during the times I weighed the least - even though it was also at the time I was at my lowest mileage (hadn't yet built a good aerobic base).   So, I'm trying to get down to the bottom of my BMI to see what happens to my racing times - sort of an experiment of 1.  I've dropped 12 pounds since January and feel awesome energy wise.  I'm aiming for another 5 to 8 pounds by the time my foot finally heals.   I think curbing my weekend and after work eating has been probably the key for me.  That and eating a primarily plant-based diet (with the occasional cheeseburger). 

6.5 easy hilly miles @ 10:14 and 145 AHR this morning - another gorgeous morning along the Sound.  The ospreys are fighting a losing battle without their platform - for every stick they bring to the nest 3 or 4 fall to the ground.  

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tramps

Leslie—50 miles?! Awesome.  Crazy, but awesome. 

Mari—hope the cold clears up ASAP.

Holly—I’m with Erika about the DH.

CNY—Oh, puh-lease!  I was the one gasping for air; my brain was so oxygen-deprived I almost got us lost in the park I used to run daily.   (You will rock Boston.)

Avenger—good dog.

Sue--great job on the weight loss!

7 miles with 5 @ MP.  Sluggish with tight hamstring again for no apparent reason.   This is the last thing approaching a serious run until Boston. All easy miles with striders from now on. I need to heal up and rest up...and not put on weight.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Leslie - what an awesome accompishment!    I can't wait to read all the details - as I know I'll never experience it myself - nope, no way, no how!  Wink

The Boston excitement is building!!

Nice job on the weight loss Sue.   I know that would help me too, but I just can't seem to get with the program.

Out for 3.5 miles this morning.   Kind of a cool morning with strong winds coming out of the East - which is my way home of course.   Walked a couple of times, but managed a 10:20 pace.    Running has quite simply been a struggle lately.    Life has been a bit of a struggle lately too.   I just try to do my best and take each day as it comes.

I've had an itchy rash on my lower legs all winter.  I had blamed it on dry winter air, but that is not the case anymore, so I am going to the doctor later this morning.   I sure can't wear shorts with legs like this!  Wink   I'm going to get my iron checked too, I'm feeling awfully tired lately.    wha, wha wha .....

Tag made me laugh - what a dog!! 

Happy Tuesday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

I wanna be like Leslie when I grow up! When are you going to tell us all about your adventures? Loved the rubber chicken btw.

Yay Eliz - back on your regular running routine. When does your school year end? Any snow days to make up?

Nice easy runs for Walt, PBJ and Bill this morning.

(((Mary)) Sorry to hear about your itchy legs. Best you get it checked today. Do you take vitamins every day? You could be anemic. Is this a full physical for you? Take care of yourself - you've got lots of little ones to take care of, you know.

Hi Sue! Two whole sizes - I usually go UP that instead of down. Great job losing all that weight. Let's celebrate and go to the DQ for a vanilla cone dipped in chocolate.  Just kidding.... I wish I had your willpower. We do seem to have more energy when our weight is down - nice run this morning.

Tramps, I'm so sorry your hamstring is acting up again. You've done all the hard work - I think some rest is in order.

8 miles for me this morning, 9:21 pace. It was one of those good days where everything felt great and I could have kept going. Came home, jumped rope for 5 minutes, did some stability ball stuff and core work, and nothing hurts!  Got the foam roller and ice pack ready just in case.

Hey all you "24" junkies. Chloe is in charge of CTU? Wow! And how about losing Rene? You could tell that was going to happen at some point. Can't have Jack happy, can we? What an episode!

Slo

Hey All

Leslie.....I can't imagine running 50 miles.

I'd did a later than usual 5 miler last night. For what ever reason the legs wanted to turn and burn so I let them....I figured that I would be paying for it today after a 21 miler on Sunday and basically a 5 mile tempo last night but I felt suprisingly strong on my bike commute this morning.

My schedule this week is awful......it'll be interesting to see what I can pull out.

Sue, nice show of will power and congrats on the weight loss !

Lace em up !

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all.  I did my running on a basketball court last night.  First time in over a year and a half.  I had stopped when it seemed I would get an a-fib episode shortly after playing.  The good news is--no a-fib, no bruises (very relevant in the game I play in) and nothing major sore.  Now I have to figure out  how to deal with the fact that both basketball and yoga are on Monday night.  no overlap, but I usually feel like rest after yoga and not a couple hours of BB.

I am a little curious how tag works the mouse without thumbs.  Or did he chew on that to see how it worked?

Sue--I have that same 5-8 that I would like to have gone by the time I do my half.  Hope we won't be battling the conservation of energy.

Enjoy your easy weeks, Boston bounders.  I'm really looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible this coming week.  New and old.  (well, we're all old, but you know what I mean  )

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Leslie... they didn't keep Jack happy for very long at all!  Poor guy

Like Breeger.. Boston weather is: blah, blah, Blah... not listening

Singlet and shorts 45°.  4 miles in 35:34 (8:54 pace)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

stumpy, good job on your longest run since Jan last year.  CNY, congrats on your 8 mi race 1st master woman.  Also, neat you got to run with your son.  mariposai, it's great you got to go to a concert with your son.  It's a bummer that your head cold hasn't given up yet.  fattozig, I am in awe of your 50 miler, rubber chicken and all.

Nice long runs for Walt and bike.

This morning, it was in the low 40s with just a light wind.  I got in 8 miles in a more normal time of just over 1:20 for a 10:01 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

dg.

good morning!

Thanks for starting us Walt.   great way to do it.

Leslie, that is just awesome.   You did it you did it!!!   ;D.   

wow oh wow.   I have Boston date marked on my calendar.   Just looked.   oh my.   We need to stock up on our snackies & things for Monday's  track & post fest!!!

Did I mention last year what my DH said?   I'd mentioned that when we watch this marathon, I can finally understand when people get together to watch, say, a football game & whoop & cheer. (not something I do)  So he said he could just see a bunch of us sitting in a room with our pc's, tracking away.    when we got thirsty we'd go grab a drink of water & then throw the cup. 

Play nice with the auditor PBJ.  

I'm glad to read you guys are going to enjoy this one!

Erika I"m glad you liked the picture.   I loved the expression on the cat's face.

Sue, congrats from me too!   That is not easy to do.   Especially with an injury.  Bottom of you BMI, huh?   I'm trying too (... I know.  do or not do.   so, I"ll do ;-))  

Kevin, that's great!

(((Mary)))

better report yesterday & then stop for now.   I walked a bit, then did this, alternating with 1 lap (200 meters) walking.  2x200, 4x200, 4x200, 4x200, 4x200.    pace ranged from 9:20 to 9:36.   decided after that that I shouldn't do the elliptical or anything, so I did adductors, abductors, & knee extensions on the weight machines, bumping up the weight a bit per an article I read.  may post the link later.  then 1 arm machine.  knew  it was time to stop, almost went back for hammie curls on the stab. ball, but realized I shouldn't.   Well, it was too much even with that last good call.   suspected it before the last 1/2 mile, & then before the last 2 weight machines.  I hurt for the rest of the day, & still this morning some, so I stayed home & made muffins.  (the weird healthy ones)(2 batches.  I use them for Sadie meds too)

kind of bums me out but shouldn't I guess. This is right within the framework the nurse gave me, she said start easy run/walks (1:1) after 3-4 weeks, it was just 3.  so, I shouldn't be discouraged, yes?  (drumming fingers on keyboard).   I really feel like I"m trying to be careful.  after each workout I've thought it was a little too much, but then the next time, well, its' 2 days later!  I should be All Better!      Honestly I just can't get it in my head that there's still a need to be careful, I don't understand it physiologically, but apparently there is.  

Sorry!!  I didn't mean to whine.  Just needed to vent a little.  (is there a diference?  probably not!)

major hugs to all the Boston crew, injury prevention fairy dust all over you.    And you too, Nancy, I hope your cold is gone & your asthma behaves. 

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie – I knew you could do it!  Great job!  And that finishing photo – you look almost coherent!  More than I would be, after a run like that.

Tag – you’re such a cutie.  I need to come up and run with YOU sometime.

CNYrunner – keep her chatting so she’ll go slower?  I know that strategy, too. 

Breger – you have another big workout left?  How big?  Are you sure your hamstring is up to it?  At this point, I don’t think you can do any substantive training for Boston, but would hate to see you aggravate something that should be healing.  Just be careful, ‘kay?  Listen to Tramps.

Sue – what book?

{{{Mary}}}

Stumpy – me, too!

Dg - I think we ALL here know exactly what you are going through.  It is so hard to be patient, but it will come (the healing).

5.4 easy-paced miles (ave 10:07) in 51° including 8 x 100m striders.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

Boston roads update as of 7 am:

Mileage numbers repainted

just over 1 mile out road repaved (I can bike much more easily)

parking banned for several blocks at finish line

jersey barriers moved at finish line to accomodate runners and spectators

and the excitement continues....marj

TammyinGP

congrats Leslie! Does this mean you are now ready for the 100 miler up here in September?

I'm so glad that Avenger Dog finally started posting with us so we can hear the REAL story. That Steve sure twists things around alot doesn't he?

congrats on your long training run this weekend also Tim.

drizzly here today, but will try to get in a run later.

Tammy