Masters Running

Wednesday 10/10 No Sun Again (Read 38 times)

Good morning good people! Rise and shine! Up and at 'em. No Rest for the wicked. People die in bed. I think that's the extent of my morning motivators.

No recaps, just getting us started. 5.5 miles this morning and 30 minutes of weights. We're stuck in a rotten weather pattern here with overcast skies, humidity and lots of rain. And the mosquitoes are back!

Hoping that Hurricane Michael isn't affecting too many of you today.

Carry on...

Tramps

Bioguy--hang in there. It's only October; pace yourself.

RCG--how's the value of Pack up and Go?  Intriguing idea.

Anne--you'll be flying Saturday in that chilly weather!!

Spacity--sorry about the arthritis/knee news. (Sounds like a nasty drive, too.)

Usual 5 in a light drizzle today.  Looking forward to the much cooler temps this weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

No Rest for the wicked. People die in bed.

Not much time this morning, as I had to be at work 45 minutes early to participate in a  Medicaid State Hearing (dealing with an angry and stubborn and pig-headed caseworker from Hamilton County).  The Hearing Officer from the Bureau of State Hearings listens to both sides of the argument, reviews the documents, and then issues a decision in a couple of weeks.  I have never NOT won one of these, but always get a bit nervous about them.  This one is really over a legal question about the countability of our irrevocable trusts just because the bank worded the titling wrong on the statement.

Anyway, last day of lovely weather before the cold comes in, so 3 miles for me this morning in 66 degrees.

Tomorrow I head out at 6am for a 2-day conference in Columbus, so I will not be running.  I need a break, though - the blister I got last week on top of my big toe knuckle has net yet healed (the skin got torn off) and even though I run with a band-aid on it, the shoes rub on it and it needs a break.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

anneb

No Sun today, because when you run before work, you hardly ever get to see it! 5+ miles for me around the dark neighborhood. I do appreciate my quiet neighborhood, no real busy streets and hardly any cars around in the early mornings. When I lived in more happening Chicago neighborhoods, I always ran on the sidewalks, stopped at many lights, etc. But not in Edgebrook... it's pretty much just me (maybe a few other runners), people walking their dogs, and the car that delivers newspapers.

Karen - I am going to Austin for work next Tues - Thurs. I've never been! It seems my hotel is about 0.5 mile from the Ladybird Lake trail and UT is to the north. Hopefully I will not have anything too early so I don't have to run in the dark there! (It looks to have a nice fitness center, but I don't want to have to use it!)

Anne

BTY

Good Morning, Runners,

Combined post for last night's swim and this morning's workout.

I warmed up with a 600 mile drive from Albany to Buffalo (low bridge, everybody down) and back to Albany with a stop along the way for a meeting and lunch - roast beef on a weck and a side of hot wings.  Smile

My first 1-mile swim since my "practical" exam for swimming as a PE Major in college, 29 years ago.  46:00 total time in the water with 100 yards backstroke/100 yards crawl, rest 1 minute, repeat.  Toward the end it went to 2:00 between repeats because I want my HR to get down to 120 or lower each time.  While my daily distance has probably crested for now, or at least plateaued, I hope to start eliminating more rests to get it to something like one rest every 450 yards, in the very near future.  Back in the pool Thursday evening but I probably won't tweak anything just yet.  

I slept really good!

Up this morning and did my stretch routine and then flat bench press with dumbbells, flyes with dumbbells, and a seated overhead press on a plate-loading machine.  That was all I had time for.  1 set of each exercise, with 12 reps on bench presses, 10 reps on flyes, and 8 on the OP.  The reps were higher than usual because I lowered the weight on the 2 bench exercises due to fear that my shoulder girdle would be completely spent from the swimming.  But all went swimmingly.

Hoping to get out for a lunchtime 2 mile walk this afternoon.  Forecast is for 77 and partly cloudy.  Smile Smile

Brian

evanflein

You're taking to that swimming stuff pretty well, Brian! Congrats on the mile.

Well, Holly, apparently I needed a break, too. I took yesterday off intentionally but wanted to run this morning here at the hotel. What a miserable "fitness center" here, just a room with one treadmill, one bike and a few free weights. Not even a full set of weights. Pathetic. But, I determined I'd do at least 30 minutes on the lonely treadmill so set my alarm for it. Ha! Forgot my running bra! You guys are lucky, that's not a necessary piece of equipment for you. I'll make do and improvise with a lot of things, but I won't run without a running bra of some sort! So, set my alarm for another 45 minutes and went back to bed. So it goes. Raining buckets here. Conference starts in 30 minutes so I guess I'd better get going.

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika -   I have done that before as well....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

45 min of core/ST/PT

I ran one time in a regular bra.  Never again!

Liz - If you change to the Hokas, be sure to take your time moving into them if you're not used to such a low heel.  Hope the change helps your knee.

Not much here.  I sort of got into it yesterday with our dept secretary.  She was out Mon (Columbus Day) and most of the yesterday morning, then the first thing she did was come in and tell me how overwhelmed she was feeling.  I couldn't help myself.  I wasn't nasty - and even prefaced with "I'm trying to be rude . . ." - but told her she needed to figure out how to deal with it, that everyone was overwhelmed.  For crying out loud, she's so far behind, our boss is going to divvy up her workload between her, me, and the other PT paralegal to get her caught up.  And I absolutely am not exaggerating when I say she has three stacks of files and paper at least 1 feet tall each on her desk.

Anyway, she immediately went to the other paralegal and our boss and said I had laid into her and was mad that a file has been given to me to complete. *sigh*  I ended up apologizing blah, blah, blah.  Basically, I need to keep my mouth shut and my head down and plug away and let whatever happens happen.

I'm sorry I keep vomiting my work issues here, but I can only do it so much at home before I feel guilty about inundating The Hub and sometimes I just need to get things off my chest.

Thanks for listening ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Leslie, maybe you could paint her a rock as an apology for your uncalled for outburst. I'm thinking something like this:

Tammy

No picture, Tammy. 

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

hmmm, I can see the photo. wonder why you can't?

maybe this way:

Image may contain: food and outdoor

Tammy

coastwalker

No sun here either, but that's to be expected at 4AM, except for maybe a week in June when we at least get a modicum of daylight, if not sunlight.

I hope the hurricaned folks are hanging tough.

I went to a meeting last evening and, for a second, forgot which organization I was there representing. It was, of course, the Seabrook-Hamptons Estuary Alliance, but I was introduced to a city attorney for Portsmouth, and that reminded me that I had a meeting this morning at Portsmouth City Hall will all departments (City Mgr, Police, Fire, Public Works, Recreation) to talk about our upcoming half. So when the attorney asked who I was with, I started to say Seacoast Half Marathon. Too many 'S' words. Duhhhh...

Up early again this morning, so 7.4 pretty sloppy miles in 67°, breezy, muggy weather. But I did see a shooting star, so it must be my lucky day.

The meeting at City Hall went well, except the 2 other guys who were supposed to be there with me were no-shows. Luckily, I knew the drill well enough to answer all their questions, and to get answers to ours.

Have a greta Wednesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I went to a meeting last evening and, for a second, forgot which organization I was there representing.

Tammy - Ha!  Ironically, she paints rocks. . . . and on top of it, she was half an hour late this morning, which is not an uncommon occurrence. *sigh*

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Anne- running at the lake is wonderful! You will love it.  There are bats under one of the bridges.  I probably can’t get to the path this time because of the boot and early meetings.  This huge shooting has a nice gym with tons of equipment. It sells memberships to the public, so it’s more of a spa/health club.  Has some curved “air” treadmills that aren’t Woodway.  I looked in there to check it out.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - vent away, no problem.  I am sorry that you had to apologize, actually, it sounds like you were only speaking the truth.  Too bad (when she told you how overwhelmed she was) you didn't say something like, "Oh, me too, so much so that the boss has decided to have you help take on some of my extra cases.  By the way, thank you so much!"