Masters Running

Tuesday, May 20th Daily (Read 548 times)

Good morning everyone! A showery day in Virginia. This has significance to me because I was supposed to go to cover a college baseball conference tournament this afternoon. Oh well, we will see how the day turns out as I am sure they want to get the games in. Carrying over the question from last night after Jon Lester from the Red Sox had a no hitter.......This was their 18th no hitter but there are franchises who have never had a "No Hitter" in their history. Which ones are they? Fun question. My index finger is actually not too bad this morning. I have it bandaged pretty securely and hopefully it will not get infected. Dumb boy here with the pruning shears. How many of you have parents who were runners?......What about grandparents? This would be interesting to hear about. I know my father would have LIKED to have done more recreation, but my mother was convinced this was not what an adult man did and managed to control his "fun" activities. Actually it was sad as I think back on it. But that was a different generation and day. I trust you have a nice day.....and are able to get in a nice run. Joey
    Vista
      Take care of that finger Joey. At any sign of it not healing or continuing to hurt, go have it looked at. No runners in my family. I'm the only "crazy one" - quoting one of them. 7.0 crazy miles in 1:04 this morning. Our summer has arrived. 75 and 85 at 5:15 AM. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good Morning, Three sort of quick miles in Atlanta at 5:45 AM/68F and partly cloudy. Ran it in 23:20. Face still showing visible pillow creases. bleh. My father was a sprinter and hurdler in high school and college. I don't know that I inherited any running jets from him, but learned to love track and field and sports in general by watching Wide World of Sports with him every weekend as a kid. I am the only marathoner. Off to iron my face CNYrunner
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Rest day for me, before I try for 11 miles tomorrow (gulp). CNY, how did the face ironing go?? You made me laugh! I vaguely recall my dad going out for a "jog" a lot as a kid. I think he ran with another professor frequently. It was so totally off my radar screen that I didn't pay attention much! When I was visiting home last month and told him about how cool it was running in downtown San Antonio, he told me that was one of the things he always tried to do when he travelled (which he did a LOT), because running is the best way to see a city. I never knew that! Other than that, no runners I can think of. My family is changing that, though! All 5 of us run. Smile

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Joey - please go have your finger looked at! Where I work, fingers are cut every now and then - nothing to mess with especially if an infection sets in. Please!!?? Tim- that was a wonderful photo of you yard yesterday. Your grass looks fantastic! Out this morning with Brinkley. Had planned on 5, then started thinking 4 because I just wasn't that into it this morning. Decided to stick with the planned 5. Ran down a culdesac that is on my normal route and when I got back out to the path there was a guy running with his chocolate lab and his wife a little ways back. I stopped and said you guys go ahead as I'm sure you are faster than me. No comment - not good morning - thank you - screw you - nothing. I've seen these people many times before, and I don't understand why you just can't be friendly out there! So, we lagged behind and had to follow them the next mile +. Once we got back to our road, we saw 3 deer scattered into the woods. It startled both Brinkley and I and we both stopped just to watch them. Luckily Brinkley did not see the need to chase after them. 5 miles - 9:46 pace - 164 AHR Well, I've been chatty enough. Gotta go check on my babies now . . . Cheers! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning Smile Sorry to hear about your accident Joey...take care of your finger!!! No running background in my family what so ever. My brothers think I am crazy for how much I run now, and think I make some of this stuff up because they have no comprehension that someone can run almost everyday....plus I hear about how I am destroying my knees and hips from them all the time Angry Hope you get your "creases" ironed out Karin Smile though I bet most women would like to look as good as you with the creases Wink Nice run Bill....geez, that's hot this early in the am Shocked Great run to you too Mary...way to stick to your plan, even though you didn't feel like it. Sorry about your unfriendly runners you encountered...I don't understand why people have to be that way. Glad the pups are doing well...they are adorable Smile Sorry about your feet problem Erika....hope you get well soon so you don't lose too much training....and I know you WILL go nuts till you can run more again....hang in there!!! 10 mile tempo run for me late last night in 1:17:00 - 7:40 pace. My legs are telling me I need a break so I will probably cycle 40 miles or so tonight with some triathlete buds of mine. Have a great day all....I have tons of paper work to do at work this morning, so I better get after it. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Me

Good morning, 4 miles for me this morning. My parents did not run or exercise. My Dad was accually pretty sedentary. He was a truck driver and sat most of the day. My Mom was on her feet all day, she was a surgical nurse, but she didn't really get any exercise either. They both battled hypertension, cholesterol and heart disease among other things. They've both passed away. I'm trying to break that cycle by getting off of my a$$ and getting it out the door. Cheers, Mike
                  Just over 6 miles this morning. I plan another 4 later on. Then off to NYC for a meeting and business dinner. Well, at least it means a free meal! My dad ran a bit in his 50's. Never very far. My mom? lol If you only knew her! She was an extremely accomplished woman. But, sports? Never. Heck, I doubt she ever walked a whole mile let alone ran one!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Good morning, all! Another fine kickoff by Vista - {{{{{{{{{Vista's finger}}}}}}}} Someone take the garden shears away before he does it again! Bill - I just read somewhere that it takes 7 to 10 years for a runner to peak regardless of starting age. Hang in there! Teresa - good luck with your 11 miler tomorrow! Mary - give the puppies tummy tickles for me. I like to do puppy belly farts as well - they have the softest little bellies ;-). Neither of my parents were runners. My Dad was an avid golfer and did start walking for exercise in his later years when his back couldn't tolerate the golf swing anymore. Mom never liked to walk but she used the treadmill I gave her until she moved to be closer to me. At least she said she used it - I was never really sure. 5 miles on the TM this morning followed by 20 minutes of weighted stability ball crunches. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Vista- interesting start to this morning's thread. I am pretty sure neither the Mets nor the Rays have had a no hitter. I cannot think of a runner anywhere in my family. My parents did lots of hiking before they had kids. My Mom has remained fairly active, even now recovering from a broken hip. My Dad has been sedentary for as long as I can remember. He has a whole host of medical problems, part of the stress in my life lately. DW and I are both runners. She is the only one in her family as well. No run for me yet but a beautiful (and chilly) bike commute of 15 miles this morning. Nice to be back.

Marathon Maniac #3309

I like to do puppy belly farts as well
                        Ummmmm.....never mind Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Vista: Both my parents were quite athletic in their younger days, which makes it really strange that they had three very non-athletic sons. I always felt that I let my dad down by being such a flop on the baseball team, etc. Too bad he didn't live long enough to see what I can do now! Mary: I've learned to accept that some (lots?) of people are just very weird and there's no explanation. That said, I still get a bit offended when I get blown off like that. Erika: I've also got some foot problems due to my 2nd toe being the longest, and of course it's a bit bent over from being shoved into standard-shaped shoes over the years. Twelve miles is about the distance I can go before it starts to bother me, and of course I've lost that nail on every marathon. Ribs: Where's that sawbuck you owe me on our Wings-Stars bet? Oh, maybe that was someone else... A strength workout day for me today at the rec center, and I'm already anticipating an extra-long weekend ahead with the mercury getting above the 70-degree mark at last.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Mary - give the puppies tummy tickles for me. I like to do puppy belly farts as well - they have the softest little bellies ;-).
                            Here's a little belly for ya Sue! Smile Neither of my parents were athletic - not that I know of anyway. My mom was 43 when she had me, and my dad was already retired when I graduated from High School. Dad was an avid golfer, but that was about it. I'm kind of the oddball in the family with my running - but they are proud of me nonetheless. ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

I like to do puppy belly farts as well
                              Big grin Big grin That struck me as hilarious..... Vista – I am also of the opinion that you should get your finger looked at. Mary – maybe they were just too out of breath to talk. ETA - ohh, the puppies are so cute! They're already starting to lose their cow markings... CNY – yesterday I got the running magazine you sent – 18 days after you sent it, lol – you are too good to me, my friend. Thank you. {{{Erika's feet}}} I didn’t feel like running in the rain this morning, so I did this on the treadmill: 2 mile WU (5 minute slow-to-fast segments – 10:00-7:30 pace) x 4 1 minute walk (1 min. 9:40/1 min 7:30) x 5 Plus CD made 6.5 miles total. Last summer I was doing this workout once or twice a week, and at faster paces, but today it really kicked my butt. I feel so out of shape, speedwise. I am able to create and save 2 interval programs on my treadmill, and this is one I created some years ago. Although I change the other one around a lot, this program I keep pretty much the same, just adjusting the paces, depending on how I feel. Today I had to adjust the paces slower, because I couldn’t keep up to my previous level. Sad That's okay, I'll keep at it, and in a few weeks I'l be dialing it up again Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Morning Boomers. Lots of interesting subjects this morning - bellies, face creases, unfriendly neighbors... Vista - I grew up in the 50's. My mother worked full time to raise six kids because my dad was an alcoholic and never held a steady job. No exercise from my parents, or really any of my other older brothers and sisters. A different generation then, I guess. I was pretty much an overweight couch potato until I hit 30. But I've changed my ways! 6 miles this morning in 55:30. IRC here but still feeling the aches and pains from Sunday's race. Felt good to get out and shake things up a bit, though. Teresa - good luck with your 11 miler. At the rate you're going, you'll be ready for an entire marathon, not just a half. Mary - the puppies change every day. Do you keep them all, or are there adoptive parents waiting in the wings? Sorry about your unfriendly encounter this morning. Some people just don't get it. Vista - I agree with everyone else and will also prod you to get that finger checked. It's better to do it now than after it gets infected. Take it easy on the gardening tools for a while! Nice runs Mike, Twocat, Sue and Breger. Breger - 85F at 8:15? We're still covering plants at night to keep the frost off. Come to Wisconsin - we'll cool you off! Last week of school - woo hoo! Good Tuesday runs, everyone. Jeanne