Masters Running

Monday morning wake-up runs (Read 338 times)

Lou? Bill? Hello? Where is everyone this morning? It was mighty chilly for August 31 here. 39° at 4:45 when I left the house, and I wasn't properly dressed for those temps. 5.5 miles at a brisk 9:01 pace, knowing that once I got back to the house there was hot coffee and a warm shower waiting. It's too early for it to be this cold!

Off for week 2 of school. Have a great Monday everyone.

Tramps

39F--I'm so envious!  That's perfect shorts and short-sleeve shirt weather.

Alas, nothing quite so pleasant here.  A drizzly 65F with 85% humidity; an improvement.

Nice runs this weekend.  Holly had an especially great one and poor Erika got through a tough one.  Thank goodness for pig-headedness otherwise we'd never finish some of those long runs. 

Easy 5 @ 9:15 for me.

Have a good week.

Be safe. Be kind.

Man, what I wouldn't give right about now for a 39° run.

I've been running in a new pair of running shoes off and on the last few weeks - the New Balance 1063.  I really, really like these shoes.  I think I'm going to get another pair shortly as I'm just about ready to retire another pair.

3.5 slow recovery-paced miles.  I sure hope I don't get too used to all these slow miles I've been logging the past two months.  I prefer to believe all these slow miles will leave me feeling like a thoroughbred race horse come race day - i.e. chomping at the bit and wanting to run.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Goodmorning !

Planned sleep in day. Perfect recovery following the weeks long run.

Not quite as cool as Jylnne but we did get down to 45 deg last night. It's Bon Fire weather but's it's too early yet.

Morning, gang!

Woohoo - 39 and 45 degrees sounds lovely to me.   I agree with Jlynne and SLO - it's way too early for this kind of cool weather.  We're supposed to dip down into the 40's tonight. 

dg - way to go with your 16+ miler - yippeee!! 

It was 61 degrees with a bit of humidity this morning, but pretty comfortable for the most part.  9.3 hilly miles @ 10:05 and 153 AHR.  My plan calls for 8 to 11 mile daily runs for the next few weeks.  I'm not sure how I'm going to fit those into the schedule and still make it to work on time.  I guess work will have to wait ;-).

I watched a gull smashing shellfish in the parking lot of a local beach this morning.  It flew 100 feet or so into the air and dropped the shellfish on the pavement - then flew down in a hurry in order to beat it's buddy to the broken pieces.  Pretty clever bird. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Teresadfp

One day at a time

It was a nice, breezy 59 degrees here this morning.  My RP and I did 4.3 miles together through city neighborhoods.  Felt OK, but I need to get back to running more.  We're done with the out-of-state guests, so that should help!  School starts Wednesday, which has its pluses and minuses.

Sue, those gulls are amazing!  The last time we were at the beach, one got INTO my bag.  There was no food in it.  He managed to take my camera and some papers out of it!  A nice woman noticed, put the stuff back in the bag, and told me about it when I returned.

Here I am!

Yes 39° sounds nice!

Little 3 miler this morning -- didn't get a chance to post:

3.1 miles, 29:31, 9:23/mi, AHR 129 (66% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

Yeah, 39 is chilly! We've got 50 right now, but it won't get much warmer than that today. It's raining, still, and expected to rain all day and tomorrow. The rest of the week is all "cloudy with chance of rain" so we're in for a soggy week. Not sure what I'll do today. I'd love to go pool running after work, but may not have time. I'll take my gym bag with me for maybe a lunchtime workout, but a rest day would be ok, too. Like SLO, I'm ready for some rest after some heavy running weeks.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Our high today is 67!  So no problem running at 10 am.

For some reason I had a very sproinky 5 mile run today after my 23 miler yesterday

5 miles in 44:25 (8:33 pace with last 2 miles at 7:43).

I have a theory.  I ate nothing before or during the 23 miler (just water and 32 oz poweraid) and the effort was hard for the pace  after about mile 18, so I think I was running carb depleted like I planned..  After the run I carboloaded during breakfast, lunch and dinner. Today, no soreness, fresh legs, best feeling run in months!...hmmmm

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Perch - you're onto something.  Nice .

No run for me today - just the usual gym stuff.

20 miles yesterday, following Erika's advice (if it starts to feel bad, turn around).  It never did, so I never did.

Three 20+ runs in 8 days - 81 miles in 4 actual days of running.  Think I'll make this a cutback week.

Marathon Maniac #957

Definitely some rockin' runs going on this weekend.  Can you tell it's almost marathon season?

Erika – heck-of-a run yesterday!  “The only thing that got me thru this run is my considerable stubborn pig-headedness.” – I know exactly the feeling!

3.25 mile recovery run for me today, followed by light x-training: lateral raises, hammer curls, incline dumbbell press, push-ups, glute raises, leg lifts w/ankle weights, face-up and face-down, stability ball crunches, and 5 chin ups, one at a time.

Dental cleanings at 2pm for me and both kids, so I’m rushing at work so I can get each of them from their respective schools and to the dentist on time. 

Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hello Everyone. Boy, you can tell it's getting closer to Fall Marathons with some of the great long runs latley. ---- Nice 20 plus milers for Slo - wowza, that is a smokin pace dude ---- Holly, with her fastest ever 20 mile training run - WTG BQ Girl! ---- Awesome 23 miles of hills Steve, glad you are running well again and your knee is holding up! -----Boy Tramps, you sure seemed to have come back quickly, very nice run ---- Erike, way to gut out 22.5 miles in very tough conditions and course...you are a tough cookie Ya know! -----I liked your quote yesterday Carolyn, and guess that is about how I approach life....why hold anything back, huh? ----- GL Dave ramping up again on Marathon training....can't wait to follow your progress Buddie.----- Man oh man oh man am I sore, very sore today....I think soreness is worse two days after a accident or hard training runs or workouts. I did indeed ride 75 miles yesterday and I was sore, but was ok once I got warmed up. We stopped once to get some water, and it was very hard taking off till I got my very sore areas loose again. -----Some said I should have been in the hospital, but with all that is hurt on me there is nothing that can be done but just wait and heal up. ----After yesterdays ride and put my running shoes on and wanted to see if I could run a couple of miles, and see if my calf would hurt. I ran a very easy 2 miles and my right calf behaved and didn't hurt....the rest of me sure did though (ouch) ---- My swim race in done because of my ribs and shoulder injuries, so I really REALLY hope I can get back to Marathon training. Problem is, my Fall Marathon is only a short 9 weeks away and with a 2 week taper I would really only have 7 weeks to ramp up my miles. I actually am in super shape because of how many miles Cycling I have now, with many of the miles being very hard. But I don't know how that translates into running, and especially Marathon training. I guess I will just take it easy and see how I feel.-----Hope everyone has a great day, and I have very much enjoyed reading about EVERYONE'S running - workouts - and life ----- Sore TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Teresa - you're lucky your little gull friend didn't take your camera for a spin and drop it from aloft.  They are smart little guys. 

I got to slip away for an hour of core and upper body weights late this morning.  The current yoga session ended last week, so I'll get to ride the bike for a couple of workouts this week.  I kind of let the biking go by the wayside after the biathlon, but I signed DH and I up for another biking weekend in Vermont later in September, so I've got to get the bike legs back again.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #3309

I can't go back and modify my post, so I wanted to tell Erika sorry for miss-spelling her name....sure she has been called worse (grins) ----Also sorry about how my posts look, and I know they are hard to read the way they look. I want to post more often than I have been, and really hope everyone understands my formatting problem I have at home with Web TV -----Twocat, you asked me to use HTML, but when I click on that nothing happens. -----Thanks everyone! -----TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

TammyinGP

Good morning everyone! Sure are some great runs out there this past weekend and nice recovery runs today as well.

today is my son's first day of school (4th grade), and as I always do, I take the first day off, bring him to school, hang around a bit, get the lunch account paid and then I make him a special treat/snack for when he gets home on the bus and we talk about his first day of school. Today I'm making him lime sherbet. He loves sherbet - more than even ice cream - but I've never tried making it before with my ice cream maker.

After I was done at his school this a.m, I headed out for a run. Ended up with 9 miles and could have kept going today. What a difference from Saturday's run, where I absolutely fizzled at 9 miles. My last mile was even an 8:43 pace. But I have lots to get done today, so headed home and will start my day of 'chores' . . .

have a good day everyone!

Tammy