Masters Running

Wednesday 6/29/16 Midweek Runs and Workouts (Read 34 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Last week of the month is always crazy for me, so I am reading but not much time to post.

I went to my first PT session yesterday.  Matt, my buff young triathlete physical therapist, manhandled me a bit, put me through some paces, and declared that he thinks the deep calf strain is the essential problem, and the hamstring only minor.  He says that there is already a visible difference in the size of my calves, due to favoring the non-painful one for several weeks.  Just a lesson in how quickly we lose muscle.  Anyway, he says the basic problem is that I have weak hips, and this affects my gait, and puts more pressure on my calves.  I always wondered what "weak hips" meant, and now I know. He used The Stick to work out a knot in the back of my knee and in my calf, and it was about 10 minutes of excruciating pain, but it actually felt much better the rest of the day. The good news is that he may let me start running after I see him next week, as long as I keep up with the daily exercises and stretches.

40 minutes of core and PT stuff for me today.

Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Mornin' Holly, and everyone else.

Holly, I'm glad that the YBTPT is explaining what is going on while he is 'manhandling' you during your therapy sessions. Many people wonder why racewalkers don't have sore hips, but A) the motion is fluid, not jarring and, B) the hips are about the strongest joint in the body and can withstand a lot, as long as they are healthy and balanced. I have a love/hate relationship with my stick (Dicky The Stick), as well as with my foam roller. But they can be great for stretching out sore and/or tight muscles. Someone in your condition and with your dedication, even with temporarily uneven calves, will get back to running quickly.

We got a delivery of 55 'master' cartons of toothbrushes delivered yesterday. Those are the only one of our products that are from China and not manufactured domestically, and that is because we could not find a domestic manufacturer for them. We don't have a loading dock, so first we had to get the cartons down off the truck (which had no lift gate - grrr), then into our building, and this morning we will finish carrying them upstairs where we can unpack them for inventory storage. So, boy oh boy, I'm getting an extra workout, including stair climbing.

Our conservation commission meeting last night was 'only' 3 hours, which (believe it or don't) was quick, considering all we had on the agenda. But the net is that I got to bed an hour and a half past my reg. bed time. so there was no getting up at 4 for a workout this morning. Thank goodness for toothbrush cartons...

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Hi Holly, Jay, and all to follow,

Good news for both of you - early return to running and effective mtg.

Been lurking as we've been in Toronto for a few days visiting family.  Minimal time for running, being tourists etc.  Went out this morning in the pea soup and kept hoping to break THE RULE NRINR, but it wasn't to happen.  After I got home, a little rain fell, but not enough.  Think we have to wait a few days for the break in humidity to occur.

Enjoy the day - with smiles for Aamos & Stumpy!

marj

...erika//.....good story on BadBob

it's a lot harder to just Train rather than Race,,,,,,,,,,,hopefully he has the discipline

58 is too young to stop Running

Good Luck to him

===========

,,,,well,

off to the PSA to clean today,

hopefully I'll have some Back left to PoolRun afterwards

.............good running guys.........

,,,,,,,,,,,we may have to Stop,

but

we don't have to Quit

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

I ran 3.6 this morning to see if everything still worked after a light week followed by 3 days off.  Could be in the 50's tomorrow morning so I will get up and hit it early.  Run a couple extra.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Why would I go for a run this morning at 55o that feels chilly in the summer when I can do it this afternoon in the warm sun at 75o,  especially since I wanted to finish erecting a bird feeder this morning and my running is too pathe. . . . , slow to have anything to do with temperature differentials.  We’ll see.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

.....ok,

back from cleaning Student Center for the last 3 HOURS

,,,,,,was Promoted from ''Kitchen''

to

''Kitchen and Toilets''

>>>>>>>I may have Risen to My Highest Level of Incompetence

and

we're going Back Next Week

===========

......after Escaping,

did 40-min PoolRun, with belt, closed fists, run in shallows

and

might have left a Ring Around the Pool..........

................good running guys...........and Mandatory Hygiene Classes for College Students///////

enkephalin relays take a few days to recover from. Mostly to just recover sleep.

evanflein good luck with your FR 25. I hope the problems get cleared up when the new one arrives.

wildchild I am impressed that you meet people on a Facebook group. So far I have found them to be a bust for hooking up with local (or any) runners.

Holly S. I am impressed! You managed to get a thread going before coastwalker. Not an easy feat to pull off. This being a running forum maybe that should be feet? 

coastwalker sounds like a really good cross training session! I have some boxes that need moving, just in case you are looking for more of the same. You know, more cross training = better . . .  just an idea.

mrrun never hope to break rule #1! 

Dave59 good luck with the weather tomorrow.

tetsujin209 I would probably also delay running a bit if I knew the temperature was going to hit 60 later in the day. I am not sure I would wait for 70.

tomwhite that is one unfortunate promotion!

I ran 6 miles with my old training partner. She keeps insisting she is really slow these days. Of course, the last race (on almost no training) madame slow ran she won her age group.  How is it I never get that slow? As to weather reports, another fine morning to be a frog. Dew point was around 66. I am trying to decide how many miles to run tomorrow. I have a 2.3 mile race on Saturday so I do not want to run on Friday. Yes, that race is the kick off for the local crazy distance race series!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sayhey! MM#130

........hullo.....7 miles.......tomorrow is another day.

I got nuthin" else.

Glad to be alive and all the important stuff, not to worry.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

RCG, congrats to you, the RS, your daughter, and son in law on the upcoming birth.  Being a grandparent is great.  Holly, it sounds like the PT session was productive.  I know you are disciplined enough to to do the recommended exercises at home.  My daughter in law, who's a PT, says that an amazing percentage of the people she works with don't follow through at home.

This mornig, it was about 50° and there was a light wind.  I did 5 miles at an 11:42 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

but

we don't have to Quit

Love it!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Good job on the PT, Holly! I can't imagine paying for PT and then not doing the assigned exercises. When I was in PT for my back, I did everything I was told (well, except the no running part, I snuck that in early) and I still do them every now and then.

Jay, if that box hauling was anything like the garden work, it might make you sore and tired but it sounds like good cross training. I'm just now able to say my glutes aren't sore from Saturday's weeding session. (time to get back out there....)

We're all hoping Bad Bob recovers well and completely. I have a feeling his DW will be keeping close tabs on him. Gonna be hard to miss the rest of the summer's racing though.

I took today to work from home. Not sure I got anywhere near as much done as I'd wanted to, but it's still early (here). I did venture out for an 11 mile run, longer than I'd normally do mid-day on a work day, but I wanted to get out before the forecast thunderstorms move through later this afternoon/evening (although it's still nice and sunny out there now). Really ran out of gas on the way back and needed hydration. Lots of stops on the last two miles. And to top it all off, my Garmin won't upload the run. It's like it eats them or something. I'm working with Garmin now to return or exchange it. I had such big hopes for this thing, but it just doesn't seem to come through. Anyhow, it was a good run until the last couple of miles, with lots of 8:10 miles in there without too much effort. Nice when that happens.

Mike E

MM #5615

but

we don't have to Quit

Yep--that is perfect.

I sure felt like quitting tonight.  I was supposed to run 2 easy--6 tempo--and 2 easy.  I got the first 2 easy ones okay...worked like crazy to get 3 or the 6 miles at tempo pace...then felt sorry for myself as I struggled to get home without dying.  I am not enjoying my running right now...but it will get better.  Right?  It will get better?

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

I am not enjoying my running right now...but it will get better.  Right?  It will get better?

...mikeE//..........you may be OverTraining,

and

remember,

Rest is also part of Training

may be time for a break

or

some CrossTraining