Masters Running

Twosday, June 8 GET UP and RUN!!! (Read 696 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wakey, Wakey!!!

Tammy - you look so great in those pictures!    Congratulations on such an awesome PR!

JLynne - how did it go at the doctor yesterday?

True to my word, I got out for some intervals this morning.   It was a very brisk morning - probably 45 degrees with a light wind.   I ran (5) .25 mile intervals with .15 mile breaks.   The first mile warm up was a bit long due to a little white dog running up on us.  Obviously an escapee as his collar was blinking red.  It took a bit to get Brinkley back on track after that and I had my pretty pink pepper spray ready to use if needed. 

2:07 / 2:14 (nature called for Brinkley) / 2:02 / 2:03 / 2:10 (yep I was pooped out)

1 mile cool down at 10:26 - overall 4 miles.

Happy Tuesday!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

I look my best blurry!

Good morning all!  I am headed out as soon as the last kiddo gets on the bus for her last full day of elementary school.  Tears!  Sobs!  All 3 of my kids will be in middle and high school next year.  So anyway, once she's on her way, I am going for my first 2 hour run this am.  I'm making a big loop away from the house with no cell phone.  I hope I make it back in one piece!  Nail biting.  You all are inspiring me.

So Mary wakes up and does intervals (as in, wakes up and does intervals), and wannabe's going out for two hours?

Y'all are a tough act to follow.

5 easy this AM...fantastic, sunny and cool weather this morning.

Walt

Good morning Mary, Wannabe and all to follow. Nice intervals this morning Mary. Aren't you loving this cold snap? It's been great for running these last few mornings. Hey - how goes your job lately?

Good luck on your 2 hour run Wannabe. Do you have a race coming up soon? It's always both sad and exciting to see our kids grow up. 'specially girls - they want to go on dates with boys.

Some great pictures from your race Tammy. You look like you're just out for a run around the block. Anxious to read your RR.

What a difference a year makes, huh Amos? I'm so glad your DH has recovered from his heart surgery and is back running well again. Looking forward to meeting you both in October.

Speaking of October - training will be slightly delayed for me. X-rays were fine, which was good news, but the doc is sure (she's a runner, and has had it too) that it's PF. Got a shot in my heel and a prescription for steroids and strict orders to stay off it for 2 weeks.  I told her I'd be good until Saturday, because I've signed up for one of my favorite 10K's, and I'm not missing it. I should probably start a separate thread for this, but just a few comments on what she told me for anyone else dealing with this crappy plantar's issue. She said it won't make the injury worse to run with it, unless it alters your gait and causes other big-time problems down the road. She suggested orthodics, but after reading about Sue's adventures with her pricey ones, decided to pass on that. It hurts like he#% this morning - worse than before the shot, but I'm hoping that once all the cortisone is absorbed it will be better. I'm disappointed, but I guess it could have been worse, right?

Morning, gang!

Mary - loved your motorcycle mama photo yesterday!  Nice intervals!

Slo - hope the washer is fixable - have fun exploring your new running routes!

jlynne - I know you're not happy, but I'm relieved that it's only PF - I thought we might have to come velcro you too!  I had great success with deep tissue massage of my achilles/lower calf muscle using a hard roller.  It hurts like all get out, but it does seem to do the trick in some cases of PF.

4.5 hilly miles @ 10:30 pace and 153 AHR.  It was in the mid-50's and quite delightful this morning.....until I finished with another 21 minutes on the elliptical.  That's 3 days of running in a row (6 miles yesterday), so tomorrow I cross train. I'm looking at the marathon training program in the latest Runner's World, and I think I can do it.  DH signed us up for Hartford - against my better judgement.  I was going to skip a fall marathon and just do a couple of halves. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Day 2 of Crossfit strength bias workouts. Deadlifts, 190x3, 195x3, 200x3 followed by 10 minute metcon. Chins, push-ups and swiss ball crunches, no rests. 

Tonight, track workout, pyramid 400, 600, 800, 600, 400. I'll follow that up with at least 3 easy miles. Good runs everyone.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Have fun on your 2 hour tour Wannabe!!

This cool air is very refreshing to run in Walt!

{{{JLynne}}} I hope the cortisone starts working quickly.     I feel so bad, here you just sign up for your first marathon and then this has to happen!  Sad

Nice job on the hills Sue!     Wasn't that sweet of your DH!  Wink

Nice workout EgH - enjoy your track workout tonight too!

Well, It is suppose to rain this afternoon, so I decided to drive my truck to to work rather than my scooter.....good thing as I came upon this site just down the road, pretty much where I saw the wild pig a few weeks back:

The babies were pretty cute!   There were 4 adults and 3 babies.   Interesting start to the day - I'm just glad it was a little dog chasing us during our run earlier and not these!!  Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

...Good Running to Ya wannabee//........it'll help.......

========

22min poolrun last night,

......Chaos Reigned

kids swimming lessons, Arthritis WaterAerobic Group, and a few lap swimmers,,,,,,,

got my own lane,

trunks stayed on,

Life is Good.

..............first streetrun tomorrow.......

.......................................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

Good luck on your first two hours run wannaberunner! Just take it easy, relax and stop to smell the roses on the way to smell the roses.

Busy week in Posieland. I stayed up until 1am last night working on a scrapbook project.

Yesterday: no running, but I walked 3 miles. No running for me until tonight either until tonight, I hope. 

I am reserving the right to wait until I have the time to read the amazing race reports.

I am so proud of each one of you.

Good luck to Eliz on her second week of marathon training. Easy does it Eliz.

Aamos, como van las cosas con Cuerpo de Paz?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

So Mary wakes up and does intervals (as in, wakes up and does intervals), and wannabe's going out for two hours?

Y'all are a tough act to follow.

5 easy this AM...fantastic, sunny and cool weather this morning.

Walt

I'm going to quote Walt, 'cause that was my run this morning, too.  i am guessing, however, that our definitions of "Easy" are a LOT further apart than our weather definitions.   48:40 for mine.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I look my best blurry!

Well, I'm back home and showered.  It was gorgeous this morning and the 15+ mi flew by.  I was all worked up about it but I'm happy to report it went very well.  My first marathon is in Sept.  I am hoping to BQ.  

Mary - do you live in farm country?  Wild pigs?  And Wild cows?  I saw tons of geese, ducks, and dogs on leashes, thankfully.

Jlynne - Ugh!  I had a cortisone shot in my hip a few months ago.  It was a day or 2 before I could tell anything.  Of course it turned out it wasn't just the "frayed labrum" that was the issue.  I also was later diagnosed with a stress fx in the neck of my femur.  So, yes your PF could be worse.  Deep tissue massage, stretching and keep running.  That worked out well for my DH.  Are your shoes and issue?  I'm a PT but my background is pediatrics.  I don't claim to be a running expert.  

Sue - I guess your hubby doesn't want to go it alone in Hartford.  Aw, sweet togetherness!

Enjoy the spring weather everyone.  So glad we are having a break from all the rain and storms in Pittsburgh.  Back tomorrow, I guess.

.  Are your shoes and issue?  I'm a PT but my background is pediatrics.  I don't claim to be a running expert.  

It's funny you would ask, Wannabe. My problems started right after I switched running shoes. Always wore more of a stability shoe, but when I went to our local running store to buy new ones, the owner told me that I didn't need stability shoes and would probably be better off in a more neutral, less cushioned shoe. I trained and ran my last half marathon in them but have been having foot issues on/off for the last several months. Maybe I should switch back.... Nice run this morning btw.

Sue - which training plan are you looking at in Runner's World? This is my first attempt at one so I'm thinking the "finish under 5 hours" seems reasonable. Wish I could run like Tammy.

Wow - Mary. Did you have your milking bucket in your car this morning?

Glad your trunks stayed where they were supposed to this morning, Tom. Gotta watch out for those crazy lap swimmers.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tammy – I loved those pics you posted yesterday – GREAT smiles - and look at those muscles in your legs – you look awesome!

Roch – very exciting about your upcoming Tri!

SteveP – sounds like Noah has the church routine down pat....

Mary – nice intervals!  You sure do have some strange wildlife in your forests, though....

Wannaberunner – nicely done!

Jlynne – that PF issue deserves a separate thread, because it’s such a common injury and I would be interested in hearing people’s experiences with it.  I agree about orthotics – you will never convince me that they work better than what God gave us.

8 recovery-paced miles (ave 10:39) for me today in a refreshing 57°.  My legs felt surprisingly (amazingly) good, with almost no soreness at all.  Like I told Timbo, trails can be so much more forgiving on your legs than pavement.  A hard-run marathon on pavement takes a lot more out of me than a trail 50K.  Of course, I ran a LOT more slowly, which surely makes a difference.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tammy and Holly, you look too good for being at the end of your races!  Geez!

Wann--which marathon are you signed up for?

Sue, as you know, lots of RA/KR folks do Hartford.  I'm jealous--you'll have a ton of fun.

Jlynne, D. had a bout of PF, had to wear the dreaded boot--he got a moderately priced orthotic at the runners' shop and that seems to do the trick for him.  Here's to speedy healing for you.

CNY, what's up with those yearbook photos of Stumpy?

Thanks for the good wishes yesterday, everyone.

Probably just a slow recovery run at lunch for me today.

Mari: thanks for asking.  Conoces  alguien que habla zulú? Estamos nominados para el África subsahariana!

grins,

A

p.s.----can't decide to do the marathon here in August or the 50K a few weeks later.  Have never run more than 27.5 (a few marathons where I missed turns).  If I run the marathon slow, is that a training run for the 50K?

Masters 2000 miles
                              wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy everyone!  I've been busy entertaining my visiting parents since Saturday so no time to post, but I've been lurking a bit. Too much to comment on individually but a few things I wanted to mention:

Amy, congrats to Dan for a great HM 2 years after his heart surgery, and congrats to you for 1st in AG at the Deadwood marathon!  (I peeked at your log!)

Tim and Holly, you guys are amazing for running a 50K in that H&H. Glad you both survived!

Jeanne, how cool that baby Will is crawling!  You're so lucky you live close to him and his parents.  Hope you stay sane while your PF heals.

Tammy, congrats on the PR marathon! Great pics.

I only managed to run 4 miles the whole weekend. It was pretty hot, even in the mountains (mid-70's) and my dogs overheated and turned into anchors for about the last mile.   It's cooler today so I'm planning a RAW. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.