Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 6.8.17 (Read 28 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wednesday’s workouts:

RunnerKSA (2.1 Global Running morning taper [freak-out-before-a race] miles)

Holly (20 min, weights & core)

Jlynne (5.5 miles with the Y girls, then 3 miles with the walking Y girls, then 20 min of weights & core)

Pfriese (9.9 less wheezy running miles)

Marj (5 sunny miles along the Charles)

BerthaSlayer (4.4 sluggish, beautiful morning miles)

Spacityrunner (4.3 afternoon glorious trail miles)

Henrun (3 fast sunny walking miles)

Mike (4 post-work miles)

Fatozzig (4 drizzly post-work miles)

StarrRuns (bike path walk, avoiding geese, capturing gorgeous sunrise)

Evanflein (10.3 running-home-from-work miles with serious windage)

Tramps, Jack Handy sure is a weird guy!

I’m glad you took advantage of the op to sleep later, Holly.

Good job of getting into the retirement thingy, Jlynne! Good grab on the books too.

Tet, it would be interesting to discover how many international marathons (and other races?) this crew has done. Let us know, folks.

Good 3 words, Tomwhite.

Gotta love those pre-race nerves, RunnerKSA. Keeps things lively, doesn’t it?

Good news on the potential partner cooperation, Fatozzig, and on the news about coffee too!

Terrific photo post during your running hiatus, Twocat.

Marj, we have our fair share of Wonder Women here, including you. Was the one on the screen any different?

Henrun, don’t copy my poor nights’ sleep!

Holly, great job of marketing your own achievements at the firm - keep pushing for what’s fair. But also listen to Tet, Twocat, Fatozzig & Evanflein - you are not getting what you deserve, and it's not right.

I was out at the usual time this morning, and got off to a good start, but just didn't have any sproink today. 4.5 RW paper bag miles in 48° temps, which was at least 1.4 miles shorter than I planned, but that is the way it goes some days, and this was one of those.

Since you asked, I tried to post my race poster, but Photobucket wasn't cooperating this morning, so I'll try again later.

have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

2.3 taper miles.  Leaving mid-day with the travel trailer for our first night's stop (near Kingsport, TN) on the way to the race in W VA.  First time out with the trailer in about 5 years.  I'm nervous about THAT, too!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good morning Jay, RunnerKSA and all to follow. Great recap again. Thank you!

Good luck this weekend RunnerKSA and safe travels!

Holly - what everyone else said. You deserve to be compensated for all of your hard work. If your boss found out you were exploring the possibilities of different job opportunities, would that be a bad thing?

Nice picture Twocat!

Hi Erika!

Starr - that warm weather is going to be here this weekend too. And, like you, I'll have 3 grandsons to entertain

Another beautiful day here but I was tired from running/walking and digging up perennials in my garden for 2 hours yesterday so I hopped on my bike and biked a half marathon, then did 20 minutes of weights and core. Now I'm off to finish my landscaping project.

Have a great Thursday everyone

...hey, ''Pool''  ''Run''  ''Ing''......

===========

...ah,

A Typical Family Vacation for us,

I already tore up my back

Pickles broke out in Shingles

and

Claire had Lice

to date-

we hit the beach the same time as Hurricane Rita

we checked into a hotel WHILE it was on Fire

we got a key to a high-rise floor that DIDN'T  exist and the rental guys had gone home

and

I almost got arrested banging on a LockBox at Lake Lanier at 2-AM because they gave us the WRONG combination to open it

......you can't Buy memories like this.......

we head to Sedona tomorrow...........Draw you own Conclusions......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Ew, TW. Hope it gets better.

Did my exercises with various rubber bands, etc., while listening to the congressional hearing. Ugh.  Not sure which was more painful.

I"m on a deadline before we leave for vacation this weekend.  (Forecast is for hot and humid weather next week; perfect timing!) Then I'll probably be mostly unplugged/offline so behave while I'm away.

Jay's in charge... as usual.

Be safe. Be kind.

Sorry, TomW, but you gave me a good laugh this a.m.  Hope things improve!!

I gave a cursory look at the CA labor laws re exempt/non-exempt.  We also have an attorney here who does labor law.  I'm guessing my employer could say all salaried employees are exempt from any kind of overtime compensation . . . but then they wouldn't have any of the quality employees they have and/or nothing would get done.  I am very lucky here.  We have full benefits, our employer contributes the max to our 401ks, and hard work is recognized and rewarded.  Very lucky, indeed.

I got in about an hour of core/ST training this a.m.  I think I've overdone it with the upper body since I've been waking up in the mornings with very stiff, sore muscles - to the point it's uncomfortable to lay down and hurts to move (age - cripes) until I've loosened up.  So this morning was more focused on lower body and core.  I managed to gain 5 lbs. over the past few weeks, so I'm feeling like a fat blob and seriously have to change my ways.  Being able to move more now will help.

I'm about halfway through a book by Philip Gourevitch entitled "We Wish to Inform You that Tomorrow We Will be Killed with Our Families."  I picked it up in a Goodwill for The Hub to read.

It's about the 1994 Rwandan Genocide wherein over 800,000 Tutsis were slaughtered by the Hutus beginning April 7 to about mid-July.  A movie called "Hotel Rwanda" is based on the true story of Paul Rusesabagina who housed over 1000 Tutsi refugees.  I've always know about the genocide, but this is the first time I'm learning the cold hard facts.  It's one of those books that with almost every page I am disgusted and angered by the world's decision to turn a blind eye to what happened, and especially with the U.S.'s complacency, mostly because Rwanda is a country that wasn't of any real financial benefit to the rest of the world.  Regardless of how it makes me feel, it's an excellent read and I highly recommend it.  . . . . if ever you feel like complaining about how difficult things are in the U.S. . . . .

Okay - That's it.  I gotta bust a move here, work-wise, since I'll be out tomorrow for my butt shot.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

RunnerKSA - just curious - are paralegals salary or hourly at your firm?  And good luck at your race!

TomWhite - cringing but also laughing out loud........good luck with the rest of your vacation..

This morning I was the speaker for a group of about 35 people at a "Brunch and More" event, talking about VA benefits.  I was a little nervous, but it went well and I got some very nice feedback at the end.  Plus, I got to wear the cute summer dress I got in Jamaica for $20.   

DD's first of 6 summer lacrosse games is tonight.  The teams are made up of girls from several schools, and while our regular coaches will be there watching, they will not be coaching.  (They are allowed 10 coaching sessions outside of the season and they don't want to use the summer league games for this.)  I guess this means the girls will decide among themselves what positions they want to play.  Should be interesting.

7.1 miles for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...thanks guys//........we always keep our insurance up to date.....

==========

but I digress........

40-min PoolRun with belt

back and hip feel considerably better

Pickles got sick from shingles med, sent her back to get an Older Med she can take

Claire announced she is ''bug free''...........told her I hoped they weren't Boy-Cooties.........she assured me they weren't

..........heading out Saturday

.................Good Running to Ya.................Avoid Boy-Cooties whenever possible

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I must have some reason to check in here? Nope, none that I can think of. I did a few weights in the gym today does that count? Weather is back to cool and cloudy, I could complain about that. Or I could mention I took the covers off of our deck furniture. That was on the to-do list. Plus the plumber came over to fix various leaks. That is something. Not much, but something. Okay, carry on with your running.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Leslie – I really, really hope that the shot in the butt tomorrow makes all the difference in the world. Take it easy for a while afterwards. I had two shots, one in each hip but was laid up with foot surgery at the time.

RunnerKSA – good luck on the camping trip along with the marathon.  That is a hilly one, right? I’d be afraid to check the weather down south though, it is getting hotter than blazes here in MN.  I may enter the lottery for the 10 mile at the Twin Cities Marathon in October, I think you are signed up for that one.

Erika – ugh, I hate the wind too.  At least you have a good trail and beautiful scenery.  We could use some rain here too but am glad we can use the lake water for the flower garden.  Some years MrStarr waters the yard like crazy but hasn’t yet this year.

Holly – you have lots of great advice and information on exempt/non-exempt.  Maybe you should take that awesome spreadsheet and look around a bit.

Geez, tomwhite, that’s an awful string of events you’ve had there. Did Pickles have the shingles vaccine? I just googled it and found out it is only good for five years! I’ll ask my doctor if that is true.  Enjoy Sedona, beautiful place.

Tramps – I dislike doing exercises like that.  I quit doing mine when it didn’t seem to make a difference. Have a great time on vacation.

I am looking forward to seeing your poster, Jay. Hope you get photobucket to work.

Jlynne – your GK’s are a bit older than mine, I think (18M, 3 & 5). The middle one is a girl so she’s pretty easy to have around, just talks non-stop.

Add me to restless and sleepless club. The munchkins arrive tonight sometime after 8:30 so I’ll have to stay up until then. I did get out for a slow walk this morning. My former co-worker was wheeling her garbage to the curb so I invited her to join me. We had a good walk/visit as far as the “geese bridge”. I was really going to go past those buggers today but Elaine didn’t want to. There were 2 flocks of them all crossing over the road from the bay to the lake

Leslie, I did try to take some photos but it’s hard to show how swollen it is. The wound wasn’t really bad at all. Took these on day five. The bruise just keeps spreading down my leg. Today my toes are purple too and my shin and the top of my foot are sore.

keep in mind that my legs are not skinny to start with...

Seriously, I did not hurt my foot, it was my SHIN.

Bye now, gotta go check out Sailboard Beach getting ready for the Regatta.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

RunnerKSA – good luck on the camping trip along with the marathon.  That is a hilly one, right? I’d be afraid to check the weather down south though, it is getting hotter than blazes here in MN.  I may enter the lottery for the 10 mile at the Twin Cities Marathon in October, I think you are signed up for that one.

Starr - is the lottery for the Twin Cities 10 miler for Minnesota residents only? My DS#1 and DIL are running the marathon. It would be fun to go with them and run the 10 mile. I'm pretty sure the marathon is full anyway, right?

And your leg looks so sore! Are you sure you shouldn't see a doctor? Especially if the swelling is going down your leg?

Jlynne, I have a doctor appointment on Tuesday.

It looks like the marathon is taking registrations.  If you don't get in the ten mile after two years, I think, then they make sure you get in the next time. You get most of your money back if you aren't lucky enough to get drawn.

Registration for the Medtronic TC 10 Mile drawing starts Friday, July 7 at 10:00 a.m. and ends Monday, July 17 at 11:59 p.m.

<h6>Registration</h6>

Link will be available on Friday, July 7 at 10:00 a.m. CT.

Registration for the 2017 Medtronic TC 10 Mile is by online drawing only. Participants will be notified of their status in the Medtronic TC 10 Mile by the end of the following Tuesday.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Starr -  YIkes!  That looks painful!  Thanks for sharing great pics.    Years ago I missed the last step into our garage and ended up with a Grade III sprain.  The bruising from my toes up to about mid-calf over the next week or so was absolutely astonishing.  We'd go somewhere and The Hub would want to show everyone. 

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 at lunchtime, then doubled up with 8 hilly miles after work.

STILL behind my plan for the week, but at least not by much now

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Seriously, I did not hurt my foot, it was my SHIN.

Bye now, gotta go check out Sailboard Beach getting ready for the Regatta.

fantastic!

I can't find hers now but that's gotta gunna make enki jealous.  Me too.

However, I know you're a slalom water skier too but, . . . sailboarding????

Back down to the sixties and more rain today.

where'd the eighties and summer go?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)