Masters Running

Monday, January 26, 2009 runs and fun (Read 585 times)

Tramps

I waited as long as I could for someone else to start this. Roll eyes Some core work and 5.2 easy miles @ 8:44. Have a good week.

Be safe. Be kind.

Hill Runner

Morning Tramps, I was waiting for someone else to start also. I almost fell back to sleep this morning. The hardest part of morning running is getting your feet out of the bed AND on the floor 10.20 miles of hills this morning...felt great and didn't want to stop...must have been the great music on my shuffle. Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Slo

Thanks for Opening tramps.....I was about to but decided to hit the refresh button Big grin Got in 12 yesterday to wrap up anotherr 40+ week. Felt really really good which is unusual for me after a complete non-running day. Normally, after a down day I feel sluggish but yesterday I was feeling good.......Probably another indication that a rest day may have been in order. Today started with a swim.......28 laps of drills. Tonight we'll sneak out for an easy 4.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning - thanks for starting us off Tramps!! Rest day for me, but yesterday I was out for 4 miles that I never got around to posting. I wanted to congratulate NoNo for your longest run ever on Saturday!! Big grin Renee hung in there with you too - good dog! DH caught 50 perch Saturday which we will dine on tomorrow evening. Yum-0!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Tramps – glad your shin seems to be okay. Nice 20 yesterday, btw, (another one churning these out at paces I only dream of). Erika – re 30-mile weekends – I agree that it would likely be of more benefit to do the 10-miler on Saturday and then the 20-miler Sunday on semi-tired legs, and really I would prefer to do my LR on Sundays anyway, since we rarely have much planned for Sunday afternoons and if I’m dragged out from my run it’s okay. Unfortunately, our early church service on Sunday precludes any runs that long unless I get up at 3am, which I prefer not to do, especially in the dark and cold of winter. Saturdays we don’t have any obligations until DD’s 12:30 swim lesson, so it’s just much easier to do my really long runs on that day – I can sleep in to 6am (!), and have some daylight for my run. No run for me today – light x-training instead: bench dips, leg lifts w/ankle weights, face-up and face-down, reverse flies, glute raises, front lifts, incline dumbbell presses and stability ball crunches. Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Holly.. how about 10 Fri, 20 Sat and rest/recovery Sun? 4 Magical healing Miles with Tory in 40:47 (10:16 pace, AHR 133) Then 3 x 10 sec all out hill sprints. Those hill sprints felt really good and loosened the legs..need a steeper hill to feel a burn Smile

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Only did a drive-by posting this weekend so I'm making up for lost posting Tongue. Busy busy weekend. Wife worked on Saturday (nurse) so did my long run on Sunday. It was 0° at the start. If anyone knows how to keep ice from building up on your eyelashes, please let me know. That’s the only thing that bugs me. I ran 11.6 miles and had to wipe the ice off at least 6 or 7 times. Easy 5.5 this morning and again the temp was about 0°. But I felt terrific this morning. After yesterday’s long run, my lower right leg was sore. It’s kinda like a posterior shin splint but it’s lower – just above the ankle on the inside of my lower leg. I did lots of stretching in the afternoon. Every time I went downstairs to get laundry, I stopped on the stairs and stretched the calves and Achilles. I never had the chance to ice it but I have Dixie cups in the freezer. I may just be running too much on the left side of the road and the cambered surface is getting to me a little. I ran in my DS trainers this morning and they have a little more medial posting than my Brooks Glycerins which are purely neutral. I also alternated sides of the road but that makes me so nervous about being hit by a car from behind. Yeesh, even with a reflective jacket and a bright orange/yellow construction vest, they still don’t see me sometimes. I’ve had to jump over snow banks on more than one occasion to avoid a car/truck. The sidewalks are just not an option with the ice and frozen snow. Well, tomorrow will be 10 miles since Wednesday looks like a day of rest forced by 6-12” of the white stuff again. My workout will be shoveling. I may go for an easy 5 at lunch today but I forgot my jacket so it’ll just be the PolarTec baselayer for a top which should be OK in the 18° sun. Maybe by the end of the week the temp may get above freezing. Good runs everyone.

Slo

Holly.. how about 10 Fri, 20 Sat and rest/recovery Sun? 4 Magical healing Miles with Tory in 40:47 (10:16 pace, AHR 133) Then 3 x 10 sec all out hill sprints. Those hill sprints felt really good and loosened the legs..need a steeper hill to feel a burn Smile
                  Perch, I started adding in those explosive hill sprints about 12 weeks ago. Try to do a set once a week after an easy run. Tonight I will do a 4 x 8 set. EGH If you get an answer for the eyelids freezing......let me know. I'm getting pretty sick of it. It was funny the first few times......scares the hell out of the dog when I get home but sometimes when I blink to long they freeze shut ! See my profile pic.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning all, Speaking of 30 mile weekends, I always run 20 miles on Saturday - then 10 miles on Sunday...or 22 and 8 to equal the 30 miles. I personally like this better because lets face it, 20 miles is 20 miles and a person is going to be tired regardless. I would rather not run 20 miles after 10 the day before, but rather run 10 miles the day after 20 miles on dead or tied legs, and get the same benefit of how you all do it.....or is there a difference I am not seeing??? Oh well, I guess we all have to do what is best for us, huh? Just like I always run my longs runs on Saturday, when most I know hear at RA run their long runs on Sunday. Just a quick pop in from work...and need to get back at it. I am going to up my runs now to two miles every other day, as my foot is feeling good. Goods runs so far today....Greta Job Smile TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Speaking of 30 mile weekends, I always run 20 miles on Saturday - then 10 miles on Sunday...or 22 and 8 to equal the 30 miles. I personally like this better because lets face it, 20 miles is 20 miles and a person is going to be tired regardless. I would rather not run 20 miles after 10 the day before, but rather run 10 miles the day after 20 miles on dead or tied legs, and get the same benefit of how you all do it.....or is there a difference I am not seeing??? Oh well, I guess we all have to do what is best for us, huh? Just like I always run my longs runs on Saturday, when most I know hear at RA run their long runs on Sunday.
                      I'm nowhere near your miles (yet Wink) but I always run long on Saturday too. That allows me to enjoy Saturday night a little. Watch a move with DW and not worry about getting enough sleep for a long run in the am. Higdon preaches the Sunday long run. He advocates a shorter MP run on Saturday and then a long run on Sunday so you're in a bit of a fatigued state and will be less likely to run too fast on your long run. But whatever, I gotta have a life too and my weekend cannot be consumed with my running. I like beer on Saturday night and I like easy recovery runs on Sunday. Then all is right with the (my) world. SLO-HAND, nice frosting in your pic. That's about what I look like when I get home. Kids think it's hilarious. Wife thinks I'm loony.

Mariposai

While waiting for my flight back home, I decided to call DonnaD for a little chat. It was great talking to this lady on the phone...instead of me blessing her.....she blessed me so much. Glad to see Timbo having a great "back-into-it plan". Good luck friend. Twocat: skiing can make our "siciatica" friend really mad...believe me.....I have been there. Good Luck. Glad to hear you had fun in wyoming. Erika, sorry to hear that you are dealing with so much ice in your running path. Cranium, I loved your "red socks" story with your father. Thanks for sharing with us. He must be a great man. great smoking 20 miler tramps!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I was too frozen to type after my 5 mile walk this morning at 5:45 a.m. and -7º. The IT band pain is all gone and my right hip is almost pain free. Two more weeks on the DL and then I'll start down the road to running. I can beat the Wii Fit Trainer easily in the jack knife and plank challenge, so at least I know the core work and strength training is progressing. I no longer measure my workouts in miles, but in podcasts. 15 podcasts last week (mostly NPR stuff and some George Carlin too). I miss running, but manage to laugh almost daily. Good runs here and over the weekend. Healing vibes to those who need them. Hang in there Craneium and I am so glad your father's sense of humor is intact. My father's dulcet tones and gorgeous bass voice didn't come back for a long while after his stroke. He spoke 8 languages and for whatever reason could sing in fluent German right away after surgery, but didn't know his own name. He also started creating hilarious doodles of the medical personnel with his left hand (he was a right handed architect and artist prior to his illness). He turned our tears into laughter all the time. Keep your friends and family close. CNYrunner
                          umwb

Good Morning Everyone!! No run or work for me today, dont know what I did to my leg yesterday but it sure is messed up, I hobbled into the kitchen made coffee for me and choc. milk for my son. and left a message for the Doc. that will probably be the extent of my activities for the day Have a great day Big grin Big grin
                            When I'm not running I'm on my Triumph Rocket 3 !

Marathon Maniac #3309

I'm nowhere near your miles (yet Wink) but I always run long on Saturday too. That allows me to enjoy Saturday night a little. Watch a move with DW and not worry about getting enough sleep for a long run in the am. Higdon preaches the Sunday long run. He advocates a shorter MP run on Saturday and then a long run on Sunday so you're in a bit of a fatigued state and will be less likely to run too fast on your long run. But whatever, I gotta have a life too and my weekend cannot be consumed with my running. I like beer on Saturday night and I like easy recovery runs on Sunday. Then all is right with the (my) world.
                              Yeah, what EGH3 said. I also like to have my long run done on Sat, so I can do what I want to on Sat night, and not fret and worry about running long on Sunday morning. Keep at it EGH3, you will be up to my miles in no time Wink TBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

dg.

Tramps, thanks for starting. nice pace for easy, I think. Carolyn.. thanks Smile. It sounds like your DD is still enthusiastic about her running. That's great. How's she doing? SLO_HAND, I'm glad you're feeling better. Sounds like swimming has worked out, too. Perch, I was just reading about those 10 sec. hill sprints this morning. (really)(at about 12:30, gave up on sleeping). does that count? George, I'm sorry your shins are bothering you again. Hope it's ok. No idea about the eyelashes. Bet Erika knows. mine were frozen yesterday too.. we were at the same temps but you went longer & faster. It doesn't bother your nose? Before I left I cut a piece of Dr. Scholl's moleskins & stuck on the inside of the nose part of my balaclava. It seemed to help a little. good to hear your foot's doing well Tim. yay, Karin's getting better. Smile poor Oogly. hope you get into your doc soon. a rest day today, other than doing the Injured Runner dvd this morning.