Masters Running

Things you wish you knew before you ran your first marathon (Read 17 times)

Mariposai

As many of you know, I am running the Victoria Marathons this coming Sunday with a dear friend who has challenged herself to go beyond her comfort zone to run her first marathon.

All this week I am going to be sending to her tips and encouraging words to prepare for her victory lap. I am looking for tips or advice on how to conquer 26.2 miles from a newbie perspective.

Your input is much appreciate!

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Quickadder

I ran my first marathon last year and I recommend forgetting about the time and the distance and just enjoy the experience. Having a friend to run with would be an added bonus.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

evanflein

I ran the Victoria Marathon back in 2009 and it was close to a PR race for me. This was after DNF'ing in Boston and Mustang Sally told me I should come redeem myself at Victoria. Dang if it didn't work! Course is great, all urban paved roads, good support (oh wait, that might've been my DH...) and relatively flat. As always, the biggest risk is going out too fast because you're feeling good after taper and full of oats to go out like a shot. Don't do it. Cut the race into fourths, and do the first fourth at easy pace, then pick it up a bit as you go. My biggest issue with this race (and we're talking 11 years ago now...) was I had to really go pee in the last half, and didn't want to use the bushes. So I dove into a porta pottie after a turnarund and found it covered with pee. Really? So yes, I took some time to wipe off the seat. Really.

Have fun, and your friend is lucky to have you. The biggest issue on fast courses is going out too fast, so if you can conquer that, you'll have a good run. Hope the weather is good!