Masters Running

The Loons Are calling (Read 36 times)

...and it's not the grandkids! I look forward to hearing their different cries and calls every year we come up north. By the time I got dressed they had stopped, of course but I will get them recorded another day.

We got an early start out of town on Saturday and were the first ones up to the resort. There are 28 of us here from the two families, MrStarr and his brother's. The resort Is called Royal Starr Resort and my niece thinks I am the queen! We like it here but a little more sun and a little less wind would be appreciated. The kids still swim but I much prefer the beach chair as life guard and referee!

When everyone headed in for lunch I ran a five mile out and back since my plan said a 5 mile long run.  No time for a recap and breakfast is ready now. See ya later peeps. Oh, we saw a turtle laying eggs right in the sand by the playground last night. Biology lesson for the munchkins and so cool to watch but poor turtle!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

coastwalker

Mornin' Starr & everyone else.

Sounds like a great get-away, Starr, loons and turtles and all. I'm glad you stuck to your plan and got your run done.

Nice running in the heat for Aamos, and good bike riding for her DH. I hope you had fun at the cat lady's soiree, and also that you fed Simon and the cats in time. Apparently a lot of the Brits didn't take the 'Brexit' vote all that seriously, and they are only now realizing that there is no do-over. It's a cautionary tale we should take seriously with our upcoming November elections.

WC, being out on the trails for 8.5 hours has to be daunting. Good think you had friends with you and that you all were prepared.

Sounds like dock-sitting on Saturday wore you out, Stumpy. But you still got in a nice Maine run.

Jlynne, what with company, dinner parties, vacation, etc. our next totally free (so far) weekend is sometime in early August. When do your stitches come out? I'm glad the tornado missed you at 3am - too bad it didn't cool things down when it passed by.

Sounds like you and Debbie (especially Debbie) had a great time away, Mike. I'm glad you got your weekly mileage done.

Yeah, TW - I'll never complain about the weather again either - till the next time...

Holly, I have a black thumb when it comes to growing veggies, and/or our local critters will eat whatever manages to grow. So we go to the local farmer's markets for our fresh, chem-free veggies. Sounds like you and DH had good eats with help from your veggie garden.

Evanflein, why is it that weeding is so hard on our bodies? Maybe I need to go into weeding training. I'm glad you got your 14er in, and am very impressed with your 54+ mi. week.

"Posting from my cell so this will be short." Is Twocat in jail?   Congrats on finishing the hot Fairfield Half. Don't worry about the time - your speed will return.

Nice 12 on the trails, Mariposai. I'm glad you and your sons were out together separately.

Yesterday, we picked up a new car for DW. Well - new to her; it's a '13 Subaru Outback with about 36K miles that is in great shape. She's a low-mileage driver, so getting a car with some miles on it is no biggie, and saves us some bucks. Our niece and her girlfriend arrived at about 7:45 last night for their 7th annual visit. The niece just left her boyfriend, and is losing her job due to the school system where she works going in a different direction for PT services for special needs students. So we gave her a glass of wine and let her whine for a while. Today, they're going out for breakfast, taking surfing lessons at the beach, and are going to cook dinner for DW and I (after I get home from what I hope will be a quick meeting tonight). Her girlfriend is getting married in November, but said that won't get in the way of the two women coming back again next year - they have a rule that boyfriends/husbands are not allowed on this trip.

SRD for me this morning, which was good because those two women kept us up well past my bedtime last night. My butt is still sore from Saturday morning's bike ride, so I'm going to have to find some seriously-padded shorts before we head out again.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai

Good morning Jay and Starr and all those who follow.

Starr, you are the Royal Queen. I bet you hearing the loons call is a cool experience. I enjoy the sandhill cranes when they come thru our area.

It will be a very hot day around here, close to 100F, so the Easy Pacer and I decided to get up a bit earlier than normal to go for a run. 5 miles today.

Here is to a great week to everyone. As for me, we have the state auditors for the next three weeks at the office...it will be a long three week.

Cheers,

Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

...has anybody heard from dave59 ??

........hope he got thru the flooding ok.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

We have a nice population of loons on our lake, too.  Fun to listen.  We even have three chicks so far.  And our (huge) island camp is also named Loon.  This is after putting in the docks and rasing shutters over the weekend.

Sort of forgot that Dave is in WV.  Sure do hope that everything is fine in his neck of the woods.

Turn about rumor, Jay--I like your touch.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Kevin - that island camp is so cool!

Start - enjoy the loons and the resort.

{{{Nancy}}} - hang in there...

Jay - you sound like you have visitors every week - does it get tiring?

No run for me today, just about 20 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

whew, I thought it was dave's house

how far a swim is it?

as for me, five not-even-kind-of running morning miles on still-sore quads.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

O, I thought Starr was talking about us!

You always make me laugh, stumpy.  Which is a good thing long about now.  <Rays all beat up, gonna be comin' at us with a vengeance...>

Just an 3 and a third mile sashay for me this am.  It was pleasant, just being prudent.

I feel your pain, Mari, truly I do.

sayhey, Monday morning is over, at least here on the east coast.  Monday afternoon is coming your way soon, west coasters!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77 hysterical picture!

coastwalker they gave me a life sentence! 

<Brexit pundit claim rant on>

About Brexit, It am going to start strangling pundits. The typical analysis goes something like this, "Now that England has voted to leave the EU, the two sides can now <insert economically stupid policy here>. This is why Brexit is going to be a huge problem." Well, yes, with Brexit the two sides can now implement <economically stupid policy>. But they could have prior to Brexit as well. Plus, they are not required to implement <economically stupid policy> post breakup. Unless you think the two sides are suicidal, these forecasts are unlikely to ever materialize. Switzerland and Norway have never been in the EU. Have they and the EU implemented <economically stupid policy>? No? Then why does <insert overpaid but IQ deprived pundit> think the EU and England will? 

<Rant off>

Okay, got that off my chest. Back to reporting that I gave my legs the day off after yesterday's race.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

whew, I thought it was dave's house

how far a swim is it?

only about a 1/2 mile around another island to the shore camp.  DW and BILs used to swim it in their younger days.  I never have.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

...has anybody heard from dave59 ??

........hope he got thru the flooding ok.......

I'm around. I had a 4-day weekend. Went to see my daughter in Cortland, IL. On the way up we stopped at the Kurt Vonnegut Memorial Library in Indianapolis and we stayed in Indy with some friends for the night. Got back last night and have been utterly buried at work under mountains of chaos.

Flooding was west of where I live (Huntington) but a number of people in my office in Charleston lost everything in the flood. Relief efforts are in full swing at the office, local businesses, and churches around the state.

I worked from home today, but I'll be going to the office tomorrow where I'll probably get more info.

As for running, I ran a couple miles in Indy on Friday morning, and a couple more in Cortland on Saturday morning. I skipped Sunday so we could get on the road to come home, and I skipped this morning because I woke up feeling like I'd been run over by a truck. Too much eating, too little sleep, and too much sitting in the car is my guess.

tet, congrats on another marathon. Twocat, nice half. Holly, your garden is ahead of my wife's. She's gotten some leaf lettuce and snap peas. The rest seems to be coming along. I assume you being a bit south of us is the reason you're ahead. stumpy, I like the looks of your island camp.

I was talking to a friend yesterday and he relayed a different race story. As he was running through a wooded area, a deer crossed the trail and hit a woman a little ahead of him. By the time he got to her, there were several people checking on her. She was ok, got up, finished the race, and won her AG.

Nice long runs and walks for Aamos, jay, wild, evan, and mari.

tet's description of his 5 miles today fits mine. It was in the low to mid 70s and there was just a light breeze. I did my 5 miles at an 11:58 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.
                          TomS

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Since the Loons are calling... I thought I should be one of the Loons on the DL to respond!  (Actually, I have been corresponding with Liz and she told me to get over here and read about the Oregon relay and see the pretty photos).  Glad I did!  Great story and photos over there.

1. Good news:  Dr. Hollywood told me I have the spine of a twenty year old. He said that seeing the MRI of my spine gave him hope. I looked skeptical. He said, "Seriously. Because you are a distance runner and have been for a while and your spine looks great. It gives me hope as a distance runner. So many people say running is bad for the spine."

2. Not so good news: Dr. 10th Grader took an x-ray of my right hip and did NOT like what HE saw. He said something about femoroacetabular impingement (FAI). He mentioned other issues that could not be seen on the x-ray and so he ordered an MRA. That is an MR arthrogram. So on Thursday, 30 June, I have to go to the hospital and get some dye shot into my hip and then I spend another 20 minutes or so in the MRI tube. I am getting way too much radiation these days!  Dr. 10th Grader told me he is almost certain he will see a labral tear somewhere and would not be surprised by arthiritis or even a stress fracture. Oh. Gee. Lucky me.

3. I am not going to worry about this until I have to. I have an appointment to see Dr. 10th Grader on Tuesday, 05 July, for the results.

4. My fascist foot. I told both Dr. Hollywood and Dr. 10th Grader that my biggest complaint and what has been bugging me the longest is my right fascist foot. Dr. Hollywood just said, "Could be two separate issues."  Dr. 10th Grader said, "They're definitely related."

5. Nobody has examined my foot.

BUTT FORGET ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Ralph and I get new names in January!  I shall be known as "Baba"  and Ralph shall be known as "Pops".  Our DD and her DH are expecting a baby in January.  She is just a few days over 12 weeks right now..  Yippee!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

Ralph and I get new names in January!  I shall be known as "Baba"  and Ralph shall be known as "Pops".  Our DD and her DH are expecting a baby in January.  She is just a few days over 12 weeks right now..  Yippee!

Yay!  Very exciting!  Sorry about the other issues, but at least you are actively working at finding results.  I hope it all turns out to be quick-healing stuff.  Reminds me that, when I saw the sports med doc about my hamstring and calf strains, she commented that the knee itself was in wonderful shape.  And all those people told me running would ruin my knees.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Snork on Dr. Hollywood and Dr. 10th Grader.... I don't think anyone has to guess what Rosie thinks of the docs!  And hugh congratulations on the promotions!

Holly, that always drives me nuts. I like being able to tell people that my knees are fine, thankuverymuch. If anything, my ankles wish I'd take a new hobby. But then, I have similar ankle and foot issues as my dad, and he was never a runner. So there! 

Seriously, I came in here looking for a cheer up (thanks for the baby news, Barb!) because our summer has left the building! We had an incredible thunder storm yesterday with over 18,000 lightning strikes over the whole weekend, most of those yesterday. And of course, new fires! Yay (not). Today is windy, chilly and rainy! But... it looks a little better out there now than it has all day, so maybe I can squeeze in a run soon without violating Twocat's rule. <ducks and dodges>