Masters Running

Good Friday Dailies March 30, 2018 (Read 36 times)

Starting us off but need to rush so I'll leave the recap to someone better at it.

DAY 1000 of my streak accomplished outside here in my neighborhood.  Never thought this would be possible.  I seem to be in one piece!     3.5 miles done-  very gloomy but I did it.   Working half day today.

Have a greta Friday Masters.

SurlyBill-   I think Topo does what Altra is trying to do better than Altra does.  Seems like better quality.  The shoelaces and the tongue on the Duo felt like something KMart would have in a shoe.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Econo!  Hi.

1000 days is a lot of running, KSA. Congrats.

A little under 17 miles on the bike yesterday that I forgot to post.

My usual 5-mile run today.

Have a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

coastwalker

Mornin' KSA, Tramps, and everyone else.

Thursday’s workouts:
        RunnerKSA (2.8 TM miles)
        Fatozzig (5 semi-torturous morning miles)
        Holly (4.6 TM miles)
        Deeze (1.1 EZ miles with the granddog + 2.2 miles with Lexi + 1.2 quicker miles solo)
        Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles)
        Tet (I dunno..)
        Wildchild (10 afternoon miles in sun & snow)
        Falconfixer (5+ EZ post-work miles with some knee-babying walking)

RCG (3 miles at 57° with a crew & Ralph + 2 walking miles with Leon in 86° temps)

Tammy (3 post-work trail miles in temps in the upper 60's)

Evanflein (4.5 sloppy trail miles, with a sidewalk finish)

Congrats on the 1000 days, KSA!

Really sad news about your friend’s husband, Deeze. Must be very hard for the rest of the family.

Shoes: I only know what I've heard/read about Altra's and Hoka's, but I sure do like my Topo ST-2s. Lightweight, lightly-cushioned, very flexible, neutral, very comfortable. But I racewalk, and so have a lot less impact, which may make a difference to some.

I just don’t understand anyone who would throw rocks or anything else at another person just “for the fun of it.” There are only downsides - no upside, no matter how you look at it.

Very productive 3+ hr. meeting yesterday morning, with a lot of good information, and some great connections. It sure is nice when the time investment pays off.

DW and I made spaghetti cooked in red wine (with toasted walnuts, parsley, garlic, etc.) for dinner last night. Interesting. Different. Not necessarily a keeper. I’d rather drink wine than use that much of it for cooking. But you never know till you try…

6.15 RW miles this morning in dense fog and 43° temps + 2 mile walk to meet DW at our favorite dive for breakfast.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Wow!! 1000 days?  I have a really hard time putting together a 2 day streak

But, I do have the starting point for one this morning.  3.1 lake loop miles in 48°F and a light fog.  Slow, but really enjoyed shorts and a light long sleeve for a change.  Plenty of visibility with the vivid winter white legs.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

RunnerKSA - Congratulations on the 1000 days.

I am tired beyond words. The trip to the NY office drained me. 20 hours of meetings and then the full lunches & dinners. I was so sick to my stomach 2 nights ago that I didn't get much sleep. I normally eat an early and light dinner because of that very thing but we were eating late and going somewhere new each night. On future trips I am going to have to explain how much it hurts to eat late and excuse myself from the group.

Anyway, I got out for 3 miles in the rain this morning hoping it'll help me shake off yesterday's 11.5 hours of traveling. I feel mildly better after the run.

I will do a little work today, but not much more than answer emails and administrative functions.

Henrun

4 mile jaunt over the Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan in the low 50’s and light fog. Wore shorts and long T (Boston Marathon shirt in honor of the upcoming event). Stumpy, unlike you my legs are still dark from Florida trip.

Congrats KSA on your streak.

Happy Passover and Easter to all.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Wow, congratulations too to KSA.
                Where/what was the first one?
                Do you have any kind of breakdown, e.g.
                longest, worst weather, injury-hindered, etc.
                Seven days for me - back in the eighties in Japan, rather than sitting around wondering what I thought the early riser I used to think I was until jay came along might do until it was time to go to work, I would sometimes run around the fascinating city neighborhoods before traffic got conjested and once purposely ran all seven days of a week just so I could say I once ran seven days in a row.  No way can my feeble brain wrap around doing the same for nearly 150 consecutive weeks.
                Me too dave but, after a two hour afternoon nap and eight hours of uninterrupted sleep last night + an extra hour for good measure after a glass of water, I think I’m ready for today’s all day CLE without any zzzzzzzz’ing.  I hope.

Jay - ? me too but sleeping doesn't count on this board.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SurlyBill-   I think Topo does what Altra is trying to do better than Altra does.  Seems like better quality.  The shoelaces and the tongue on the Duo felt like something KMart would have in a shoe.

I heard Altra recently sold to a conglomerate, maybe the shoe quality and design took a fall after that, like it did when Hoka sold to Decker a while back. Topo definitely have better quality, but they don't make anything with enough cushion for me.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Happy Good Friday and Easter Weekend to those who celebrate.

Congrats on the streak, KSA!

I'm with Stumpy - I can barely string two days together.  AND I'm with him on the white legs.  *shudder* I just can't do that anyone at the moment.

Dave - Bleck!  We don't eat late, either, and when I'm with people who want a late dinner, it sucks because I can't eat and then go to bed.  Stand up for your right for early and light dinners!! 

I took today as a rest day.  Last night I thought about getting up and doing at least some core work, but I was so tired from not sleeping, I recited my mantra of "Don't Be Stupid" to myself and set my alarm for 6:30 instead of 5:00.  I slept a little bit better, but boy do I miss the days of sleeping 7-8 hrs straight without waking up.  Ah, the simple pleasures of the younger me . . .

It's Friday, folks ~ Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Well- my previous longest was 960 days and ended with a stress fracture (likely not related to the streak at all).  I like to think I know when to stop, and I won't run with a bad injury.   I'm had some colds, bronchitis, stomach stuff, etc, but nothing has made it impossible to do at least 1 straight mile.   Travel days are tough- have to get up really early to get at least the 1 mile done in case the rest of the day gets messed up.  I actually don't find it very hard to keep a streak-  it's just something you do every day.  It takes any decision about whether to run off the table.  I just do it.    I'm not sure I could do it without my treadmill, although I have in the past.  It's just safer and more comfortable for me on many days.   I don't have many days at all with just 1 mile-  maybe the day after a marathon or something, or if I have a really bad virus.    My next milestone will be the 3 year mark on July 5.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Congrats KSA!!

I went to take Lexi my granddog for a run this morning, but when I put on her gentle lead harness she yelped in pain. She was trying to get it off and looked very uncomfortable, so I tried to take it off and she nipped at my wrist. I think it must have chafed her yesterday on our 2nd run or I pinched her skin putting it on. Either way, she clearly was too uncomfortable in it so I took her for an easy walk with her regular collar then went out for my run solo.

5.1 miles - should have done 5.8 for my new age but I didn't think of that. Instead celebrating my new age at church for Good Friday and added some pain by going for a mammo in the middle of the day!!

Sneakers - I love my Hoka Arahi - on my 2nd pair!! I always loved the Saucony Guide, but when they came out with the Guide 10 it was awful for my feet!! I went to an outlet and bought the last 2 pairs of the Guide 9 in my size - I alternate one pair of those with the Hokas and actually have a brand new pair of Guide 9 in my closet waiting to be unboxed!! I'm due for a new pair of Hokas as well.

Have a blessed Good Friday to those who observe.

denise

evanflein

Deeze, is it your birthday?? I suppose Facebook would tell me if I were out there much, but I'm not, so if it is your day, Happy Birthday!

Jay, sounds like a waste of good wine if you ask me. I did get a recipe a couple years ago from WillRunForBeer that cooks ground lamb in milk. I thought that was odd till I tried it, and apparently it's a common method in Mediterranean cooking. Who knew?

I can't imagine running a streak like that. Congrats, KSA and I hope you make it to your three year mark (I'm sure you will).

Dave, I wonder if part of your fatigue is the issue of introvert being over-stimulated with company and conversation. It can happen. Eating big meals late isn't good for anybody.

I guess I need to look into a pair of Hokas at some point. Shopping options here are limited though.

I hear ya on the white legs. We refer to that as a "moon tan" by the way. That's one thing about May in Alaska... lots of scary white legs around.

After yesterday's run, the leg feels ok so that's a positive. But today is a gym day, and I will make it to the gym today! Run planned for tomorrow but that'll be only three days this week so a won't even break 15 miles this week. Oh well.

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 at lunch, then a long work day finishing off some stuff to close out the fiscal year,  so nothing later.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Anzlo

DAY 1000 of my streak accomplished outside here in my neighborhood.  Never thought this would be possible.  I seem to be in one piece!     3.5 miles done-  very gloomy but I did it.   Working half day today.

Fantastic accomplishment !   ... congratulations RunnerKSA

Nice weather for my 14 EZ miles this AM.  The sorting of collected items continues between charity and dump.  I made one drop at the local Goodwill store but my garage is now cluttered with furniture we have decided not to use anymore and bags of junk for the dump.  At least I am getting some regular light upper body work from this.

Have a great Friday and upcoming Easter weekend folks !

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave - Bleck!  We don't eat late, either, and when I'm with people who want a late dinner, it sucks because I can't eat and then go to bed. 

I agree.  Of course, it doesn't help that we tend to go to bed by 9:30pm...

15 miles for me today, half of them outside in a light rain, and then home to change into dry shoes and finish on the TM.  After the terrible blister I got last year running in the rain, I am more careful.

Need to be up by 3am to head out with friends to the airport, then off to Punta Cana until Thursday.  I can hardly wait!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."