Masters Running

Redemption Saturday (Read 39 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Not meaning to be a commercial, but I just got a Nutri-Bullet (a small blender like a Magic Bullet but more powerful) and I love it!  I have been trying in vain to get my DH and kids to eat more vegetables, and DH especially is completely stubborn about it.  But I just made a smoothie with a handful of spinach, a handful of carrots, and half a frozen banana, a little water and then blended it into liquid and he actually drank it!  I told him, "don't look at the color, just shut your eyes and drink it," because I knew the green would scare him, but he said it was actually pretty good. This is the first time in our entire marraige that I have witnessed him eating spinach and carrots.   Shocked

I was so excited that I ran to the store and bought some frozen berries of several types to try different flavor combinations.  This is going to be my new post-run recovery drink.  And every night I will make my kids drink their vegetables....Smile

Erika - if I could run directly from my office, that would work for me, and I agree about the time working things through your mind.  Unfortunately, but the time I complete my 35-40 minute drive, I have slipped into malaise....

Off to start picking up teenage boys for the movie.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, happy birthday to your son.  I saw Django and will be interested as to your opinion.  maine, my condolences to your family on the death of your wife's aunt.  roch, sorry to hear of your friend's Yak induced injuries.  mari, sorry to hear you've got some new "crud".  tomw, I hope your back recovers quickly.  Dave, a race where you "felt good and had fun" is what it's about.  ribs, it's neat you were in Frankenmuth.  Did we miss a chance for a meet up?  Also, nice 5 mile race.  enke, I liked your running gods.

Nice long runs for maine, OM, pfriese, and maine (another).  Good job on the speedwork for Tall.

This morning, I did a 5K race.  It was in the mid teens and there was a little wind.  This was the 3rd of 4 in a series.  So far, I've been the only one in my AG so have a lock on the overall award for my AG.  I had a 9:22 pace and was 38/54 OA.  The turnout was smaller than usual as there was a big race in Frankenmuth today and a lot of the regulars went there.  I did a mile warmup and 1.9 mile cooldown to get 6 miles for the day.

We just heard from our daughter.  She had taken some Aleve and left the bottle out.  Her boyfriends dog got ahold of it and finished the bottle.  The dog is at the vet for observation after having it's stomach pumped.  My daughter is feeling real bad for the dog and about the $750 bill.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

Erika, just do it! Who cares if you are marathon ready or not. You can always cover 26.2 miles anytime, at a slower pace Joking.

Holly, great news about your new blender and the miracle it's producing around your house. We eat so much veggies around the house that I take it for granted how hard other cooks have to work to make sure that their loved ones get theirs veggies in their diets.

Spareribs, that sounds like a very fun race. Does it bring a large crowd?

Mainrunner, you are putting in great miles these days!

Tselbs, congrats on your AG. An AG win is an AG win, it does not matter how you get it!

{{{{doggie}}}}}. $750 vet's bill would hurt!

Tall, pizza sounds good! Actually anything sounds good right now since I have yet to have lunch and it is 3pm here already. I waited and waited for the weather to warm up, but when it was still only 21F (feels like 17) at noon I decided to just run on the TM. 13 miles while catching up with old episodes of Hawaii 5-0 and Downton Abbey.

Now it is time to eat, maybe I will make myself some smoothie too.

Go racers gooooooo!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

C-R

Late to the table today. Lots of stuff. Got a nice 14 miler today albeit a bit slower paced.

Bought new shoes for DS1 so he can have a proper pair for running. The smile on his face was worth every red cent.

Some nice racing today and good luck to those racing tomorrow.

Movie night with kids tonight features Hotel Transylvania and a big bucket of popcorn.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Congratulations to everybody who did so well on their races, runs, and smoothie making.  And good luck to everybody racing, tomorrow...

02/03 Ileneforward - Surf City Marathon, HB CA

02/03 SLOjim - Surf City Half Marathon, Huntington Beach CA

02/03 OrangeMat - Super Sunday 4-Miler, Morristown, NJ

02/03 Mainerunnah - Mid Winter 10 Miler - Cape Elizabeth, ME

02/03 tetsujin - West Seattle 50K Fat Ass - barefoot/thongs

After hanging out with some guys from work, last night...a little too long...I didn't feel a whole lot like running, this morning but, when Ryan asked if I wanted to go out with him, I went and got my stuff.  I love running with that kid...have I ever told you guys that?  And you know what's really cool?  I think he likes running with me, too.  I am so dang lucky!  Anyway, we took it kind of easy on slippery roads and did 5 miles in 37:37.  I had wanted to do some speed work so, when we got home, I went downstairs and jumped on the treadmill for another 5.  I had planned to do 3 miles in 5:52, but after doing 1/2 mile at that pace, I knew it was going to happen.  I threw in a couple of 1/4 miles at that pace, but last night's fun was catching up to me.  So--I ended that 5 miler in 35:52.

Okay--I guess that's all I've got for now.  See ya!

TammyinGP

We have a trail race like there here, Ribs. it is a lot of fun. But I've never witnessed, nor have I participated in any ass-grabbing. I think maybe I'll start a new tradition next year. Would you like to come out and race it with us? Wink

went out for a 12 mile run today with a group training for The Avenue. And some others that just train for whatever they are planning. About 18 showed up i think? but all different paces and distances. a few were doing 20+, others were only doing around 6.  I was pleased with my 12 with some of it being in rather hilly neighborhoods. Last mile I wanted to see what I left. and 8.46 was what I had left. My legs were pretty tired. Other paces were in 9:40ish area, with a few low 10's on the hills.

MIL taking us out for dinner tonight. chinese food.  some of Tall's pizza sure would hit the spot too though. and a beer.

Tammy

From Mike:

"I love running with that kid...have I ever told you guys that?

I had planned to do 3 miles in 5:52, but after doing 1/2 mile at that pace, I knew it was going to happen. "

Yes, you have, and please keep saying it!  Smile

Ok, I never know it is going to happen.  Need an editior?

I am adding a recipe to the recipe thread.  I have made this the past 3 weekends in a row, and I love it - spicy eggplant.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Quick post as I am still not 100% and should head off to sleep.  Maybe more tomorrow.  The big news is a fast review of Sliver Linings Playbook that my DW and I went off to see tonight.  Gals, you will love it!  Guys, your best bet is three or four stiff drinks prior to arriving in the hope you can sleep through most of it.  A chick flick through and through.

Oh yea I ran today.  A total of 8 in 21° weather.  I was freezing.  Add in the cold and it was pretty much a slow slog.  In other whining today . . .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Hey Maine, when I got back from my run the thermometer said 24F so yes, we do get really nice winter days here!

I ran 8.3 hilly miles around my neighborhood roads and it was great, even with a couple of stops to rest and catch my breath. A couple of those hills are real bears! Managed an 8:20 average pace throughout but yeah I did take a couple breaks. One was when I was coming back at almost 3 miles and I'd seen someone up ahead. I figured it was someone walking their dog so didn't think anything of it, but as I got closer I saw it was a moose. They like the cleared roads and don't like giving up there space for anyone, so I figured I'd add another mile by turning around and doing another lap. By the time I got back the moose was gone, whew!

The conditions were IWRC and as I did my cool down walk the sun even felt warm! Love it. Before I left I'd started a batch of chicken stock and got a pork shoulder roast in the crockpot for pulled pork sandwiches for dinner. Three loads of laundry and a bunch of dishes, now to vacuum a bit. I haven't had such a productive Saturday in ages! we are going to a comedy show tonight too, so a full day.

Holly, good for you on finding a way to get the veggies in. You'll have fun with that thing.

Nice job on the AG win Tselbs! I agree, a win is a win.

Mike E

MM #5615

"I knew it was going to happen. "

Oops...yes...an editor, please.  I do that stuff all the time.

Marathon Maniac #957

This morning, I did a 5K race.  This was the 3rd of 4 in a series.  So far, I've been the only one in my AG so have a lock on the overall award for my AG. 

Sweet!  Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Enke, Enke, Enke. <<shaking head>>

Evil

Be safe. Be kind.