Masters Running

Monday 11/8 (Read 36 times)

bioguy

No time for a recap, plus I have spotty internet here in the hallway where I am doing my hall monitoring for 30 minutes

I ran 13 at Chincoteague yesterday; likely heading to the weight room after work.

Have a greta Monday.

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters,

Thanks for the start, Bioguy. Nice run yesterday, and have fun in the weight room today.

Some very nice runs, walks, rides, crown molding, and other adventures yesterday. Congrats on the half, Steve, on the long week, Evanflein, and on the PT, Falcon. Welcome back, Jlynne.

Yesterday, I had to drop DW's car off so it could have some work done today (she's still not driving), and I walked back for 3 more miles. After lunch, we went to Portsmouth and took a walking tour while we did some early, local gift shopping, so that added another mile. It was good to finally get to the evening when we could put our feet up.

Speaking of DW, she is continuing to make good progress, and is doing her exercises at least twice daily. However, we won't know till we know if all her mobility and sensation will come back.

Our driveway has been in desperate need of repaving, and the work is starting today. The crew is digging out all the old pavement today, and will lay down the new asphalt tomorrow. An area in front of the guest house (behind our house) will get porous pavement because it is very close to, if not partially in the wetlands buffer and good infiltration vs. runoff is important there. As a member of the conservation commission, I have to set a good example.

6.24 RW miles in 32° temps this morning. Despite the stupid clock change, it was still dark till after I finished my stretching and shower this morning. So it goes.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, bioguy and good morning Jay and those to come.  I'm glad your wife is making progress, Jay.  I know she must be tired of the limited mobility and ability to do "normal" things.

Yes, Erika does some nice mileage with or without a long run.

Beautiful fall day and I got out before 8!  Such is retirement life.  5.1 miles done.  Ken is leaving in the morning to drive the electric car to Florida (or south Georgia) and will pick me up in Jacksonville from the airport on Wednesday.  I won't drive both ways in that thing, but will dive back with him on Saturday.  Not looking forward to that. Having to stop and charge the car adds a few hours to a long drive....

My unemployment comp still hasn't been approved.  No reason to think it won't be, but it sure is a slow process.  I feel for people who have no other resources.  In the meantime, I'm doing my "job search" and submitting my certification every Sunday listing the jobs for which I have applied.  I guess it's worth it.

Off to make some hot tea and do a few things.  Have a greta Monday.

May be an image of road, tree and nature

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Henrun

I’m not wild about he time change but I do like the earlier light since I prefer running and walking when the sun is out. 2 mile walk this morning as my tired legs have recovered from the 5K. BTW I had mixed feelings about the race. I continue to be unhappy about my last place finish but I was 2 minutes per mile faster than my other 5K this year. Since I race so infrequently now I can’t really expect any after times. I’m just happy to be mobile at my age.

We’re shortly leaving for our annual club luncheon to cap off our multi activities the last few days.

I forgot to mention that we saw the Broadway in Boston musical “Hadestown” yesterday and loved it.

Nuthin' for me today.

And that's about all I got at the moment . . .

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Happy Monday Masters!!

Nice pic KSA - beautiful day here in MA too!! I am on vacation this week since they wouldn't take back my vacation hours despite me being out of work all those weeks on FMLA - so crazy!! I was originally going on a trip through church, but decided I really didn't feel like spending 5 hours on a crowded bus to the Amish country. I do have a 90 minute massage booked for tomorrow with a friend who is also on vacation this week so it will be nice for us to spend some out of work time together.

4.5 mile power walking, 30 minute Peleton ride with a 5 minute cool-down ride, 15 minutes core

Jay - do you still do race walking clinics? I am intrigued with the thought of changing my power walking to race walking.

denise

What the heck? Where is everyone today?

Oh, come on! That's the best reason there is to over do it! I should know, I do it quite often!

That's how I am too and it's exactly why I have to rein it in: overdoing it these days can have long-term if not permanent consequences. What used to make me sore for a day now makes me sore for a week or more!

And speaking of being careful about overdoing things, we had another -- possibly last -- drop-dead gorgeous day here and again I couldn't force myself to stay inside. So, after doing my meal delivery rounds in the morning, I took my e-bike out in the PM for a casual 14.4-mile ride mostly on the Paint Creek Trail where there are still some trees in full colors. It was sunny and about 60F and I was only slightly overdressed by the time I got back home. A beautiful ride!

Tomorrow I'm hoping for one last ride of the year with the old Tuesday group, with whom I have not ridden in 6 weeks or more. Not as nice as today, but not that bad and I should be able to dress for it. Saturday might bring our first snow in the form of the proverbial "wintry mix" as it drops a bit below freezing during the day.

Here's hoping for continued good weather out y'all's way, wherever that is!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nothing good can come from "Wintery mix" with leaves still on the trees. 

Today was my first day of dog wrangling and batching it, while DW is off in Rochester to try and visit her dad.  First day did not go well--her report was that she had a hard time understanding much of what he said and then he was falling asleep while talking, anyway   Very sad to hear, but at least she's able to make the effort, regardless of results.

the dog wrangling part was pretty easy so far.  She slept on DW's side of the bed the whole night.  (DW was NOT amused when I sent her a picture of Maggie sleeping on her pillow)  And she woke up only ten minutes earlier that I had hoped, and she made it to camp and I made it to work on time.  wins all around.  Hoping for a replay this evening.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good day Masters,

Lots of stuff to keep up with. It was great to see photos from the race on Saturday! dnaff, I am doing PT now for my hips too. I've had pain for quite a while, but not when I run. Did I miss the election results, BTY? I have been lurking. Karen, I sure hope your retirement benefits get straightened out soon, enjoy FL.  Erika, it sounds like you are enjoying your freedom from work too. So nice to  a grandbaby close by.  Stumpy, sorry about your FIL, I can imagine how she felt about the pillow!

We had all the grandkids here for 4 nights in October, lots of energy and mostly fun.  Some may have seen photos on FB.  I think that they are all pretty cute!  I didn’t get out to run when they were here but enjoyed many walk/runs since then. Today it is back to windy (NE20 G 28) but mild temp at 56°. I will go out in a bit.  I just got home from a meeting and spent 35 minutes on the phone with Caremark mail-order pharmacy about a prescription.  I did NOT order it, I do NOT take the name brand anymore and I do NOT take this dosage anymore, sheesh. My doctor is tapering me off Synthroid so I was to call her for the .75 instead of .88 but need blood work first. Maybe tomorrow.  I am looking for the survey she said they would send. I love being retired, but man have I been tired lately, will mention that to the doctor too.  I nearly fell asleep during the program today. They wouldn’t let me donate blood since Hb was only 10.5 (needs to be 12.5).

My project for this week is going through all the stuff in my sewing room.  A friend of mine is losing her vision and can’t sew or quilt anymore so donated all of her fabric to me and my quilt club. She said to keep what I want (I want it all 😊) and donate the rest. I may donate my stash and keep her stuff!

tet - the Wild (8-3-0) are first in the Central Division now and play the Kraken on Saturday at 9pm CST (I hope I can stay awake).  They have come from behind in 6 or 7 of their wins. The shootout was fun to watch when they beat the Penguins.

May be an image of child, standing, tree and outdoors

Jackhenry-12, Mackenzie-11 and Rocco-8 (DD2's kids)

May be an image of child, standing and outdoors

Brody-10, Addison-8, Brock-6

May be an image of child, standing and outdoors

Grandma and Grandpa

May be an image of one or more people, people standing and outdoors

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

Starr - you look beautiful!  And the grandkids are very cute!

2.6 miles for me today in 35 degrees.  I actually ran almost the whole thing, which is saying a lot, given the condition of my foot.

BTY - I didn't catch the election results either - have they declared a winner?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Love the pictures!

SteveP

Thank you for the start Bioguy. Sweet 13. 

Coastwalker - The news regarding DW sounds encouraging. 

KSA - Nice leaf peeper picture. That’s interesting about unemployment. Did you mention a watch that will talk to you after a fall? Both Aunts live alone. One of them falls. 

Henrun - I’m glad you had a 5K. It’s been too long since seeing live theater. You may have given me a gift to DW idea.

Hi Leslie!!   

Look at Deeze go!!

Rochrunner - Overdoing it is what we’re all about. Moderation is for monks. 

Good dog Maggie!

Stumpy - What your DW is going through with Dad is unimaginable. 

Looking fabulous Starr!  

Holly with 2.6!

I got 3 miles on my way to a 12 Step Recovery meeting. The topic was about humor during the meetings. I don’t know or care about what lead up to this discussion. 1/2 through, I got up and walked out. People started interrupting each other. Then argued with each other. Then numerous people started shouting. 

Typically I’m a huge fan of absurd.

SteveP

Steve-  Apple watch has emergency notification for falls, but there are also devices that seniors can wear around their necks (most of them don't like them, unfortunately) where you can push a button for a fall alert.

3.5M fartlek before the next atmospheric river hits tonight. Another perfect running day like yesterday, and this makes a 3 day streak!

After the previous month or two of feeling like crap, I'm delighted to feel nothing at all! By that, I mean we really only seem to notice when we feel below average, but I guess sproinky has it's place, too. The kidney stuff hasn't completely resolved and I still have that sideache feeling at least part of every day, but I'm sleeping well and the achilles hasn't made itself be known in over a week.

Talked with my partner today for the first time in weeks, she's done with designing/outfitting the One Golden Thread retail location in LA and is setting up the Miami store remotely (to her delight she doesn't have to go to Florida!). She's hoping she can also set up the other new locations from home and not have to travel (NYC, Chicago, probably London/Paris/Tokyo but she'd WANT to go to those). It's been more work than she was expecting but rewarding. And she can't wait to come home and not leave bed for a week, which will make the cat very happy.

So, if anyone needs a $90 t-shirt or $300 genie pants to complete their urban hippy look, stop by:

https://onegoldenthread.com/pages/atelier

May be an image of 3 people, people standing, sunglasses and text

NOPE, that's not me! Although I did my male model stint in my 20's, I had some integrity 

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

evanflein

Ha, Surly that looks like a Jason Statham wannabe. Glad to hear your parts and pieces are mostly behaving.

Doug, I had another of those "too nice to stay in" days even though Mondays are usually rest days. After shoveling the driveway and blowing snow off the stairs this morning, I went out this afternoon for a hilly 3.3 mile run in 17°. There was enough of a breeze that my chin got cold, but otherwise was ok.

Henry, we have "Hadestown" on our subscription to the Broadway in Portland series. I think it's the last one, so in June? I'd have to look. We leave tomorrow night for the second show, "Mean Girls." Looking forward to it.

Beautiful picture, KSA. All our leaves are long gone other than the stubborn hangers-on that flap around in the breeze.

Stumpy, couldn't see your picture. I'm sure Maggie is enjoying DW being gone. Sorry to hear about her dad, that's tough.

Holly, when is your foot surgery?

I did see those pics on FB, Starr. All of them are so very good. Nice flock of GK's you have!