Masters Running

Super Sunny Sunday (Read 323 times)

Yoowhoo, anyone up yet?

Getting ready for the 5K.  Feeling] better today, so hopefully it will go fine.

Sure is dark at this time of day.

Have good runs everyone.

Enjoy the freedom of running

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Good luck Enke!  Is the fever gone?  No excuses now.

This has been a low mileage week for me but I may go out later today.  I don't usually run two days in a row but I love to run in the fall with the crisp air and cruncy leaves under foot. If it's sunny, like today, that is a plus.

One week ago today at this moment I was starting my first half.  I still can't believe I did it and how much fun it was.  IRC had a lot to do with it.  Thanks for the kudos on my race report, it means a lot to me. 

this week I have been so tired, even falling asleep at 7 pm some nights.  I guess I need a vacation from my vacation.  My plan is to run a 5k

to see if I can get a PR.  It's the same race I ran as my first race 8 years ago, the DeLIGHTful 5K. 

Good running and racing everyone!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

...tried the Infield at the FootBall Stadium............it was more impact than I remembered.

switching back to

Grass and Geese

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I was up earlier than planned due to the internal clock from getting up yesterday at 4:15 to catch the shuttle. Thanks everyone and this was about a 4-minute PR with huge negative splits. I found a pic I like but am having trouble posting it on this Kindle. Hope everyone has a good run today!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

King of PhotoShop

Tammy, I feel bad for you, but you hit the nail on the head.  When you love the pet, it's hard to make the decision, but because you love the pet, you do the right thing for Jade.

Because yesterday's race was pretty much to pace my friend, I didn't have a lot of wear and tear on my old legs, so today I got in 6 at the Lake on the hills, then drove home and did 2.3 hard miles on the dirt track, for 8.3 for the day.

I fly out again tomorrow, this time for Cleveland. I usually run from the Hyatt down to the Lake and back, then up 9th St. and back in the mornings there.  I think I'll bring extra clothes.

Opie, how ya feelin' today?  Spareribs

P.S.  I am so excited that I am going to coin a new word (neologism) or expression, that applies to running.  You know how when you run a marathon or other long race and go out a bit too fast, then have nothing left at the end and you tank?  I'm going to call this by a name, "Rangering."  As in, "I really Rangered that marathon. Had the lead through 24 miles, and just Rangered the last two."  This is going to catch on quickly down here.  I'm going to use it in tomorrow's DMN blog. 

Henrun

P.S.  I am so excited that I am going to coin a new word (neologism) or expression, that applies to running.  You know how when you run a marathon or other long race and go out a bit too fast, then have nothing left at the end and you tank?  I'm going to call this by a name, "Rangering."  As in, "I really Rangered that marathon. Had the lead through 24 miles, and just Rangered the last two."  This is going to catch on quickly down here.  I'm going to use it in tomorrow's DMN blog. 

Ribs, I think you borrowed that word from "Bosoxing 2011"

4 more miles in the sunshine...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Bushrat Runner

Got up at 6:30 (without needing to...what's wrong with me...) to the sound of pouring sideways rain. Wind was gusting over 30. So I couldn't get enthused enough to get out and put in some miles...might get out there later since it looks like at least the rain is letting up. High winds by themselves are less inhibiting than sideways downpour high winds.

Starr, I like having a run in the 8-13 mile range, preferably closer to 13, partly because living where I do it is very expensive to go run marathons. I like being close enough to marathon training that if a trip comes up for work (which hasn't happened in a few years now...but those things do occasionally occur...) I can bust out a couple longer runs and finish a marathon comfortably if I can find one to run. I also happen to love the feeling of runs in the 8-13 mile range, usually those are my favorites. 

Is it particularly necessary? Not at all. I also like having a race on the calendar, it makes me pay more attention to getting the runs in. Especially marathons...ain't no cheating the marathon. It knows whether you've been training...

Back already from my 5K.  I was feeling pretty good.  When I drove out to Magnolia, and saw how hilly it was, I said "they've got to be kidding, right?"  My car had trouble getting up the hill.

Luckily the hills on the course were less brutal.  Pace was slower than I wanted the first two miles (and I admit I was lollygagging a bit), but I made up for it the last mile (it had a big uphill and a too steep downhill that you couldn't actually run very fast).  At my current low running mileage and 16 pounds over my ideal running weight, and big hills on this 5K, I was exactly 1 min/mile slower than my PR.  Got my work cut out for me.

I still think the word "bonk" is perfect.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

Ribs, your dedication to running is always inspiring. Way to go with that race yesterday and that hard 2.3 miles today.

Enkaphlin, save some of your legs for the Autumn Leaf Run Wink. Great racing in tough terrain today!

A 4-minutes PR deserves a  Way to go Opie.

Starrunner, an easy week after a hard race is a good idea!

Troy, I don't mind running in the rain, in fact I rather en joy it, but wind and rain together often makes me bail out of a run.

I miss deezy4boys!

Well, we are enjoying a gorgeous fall weather around here.  Since I got back very late last night, I decided to sleep in and wait for the weather to warm up to go for a run. This was a right decision since my DH just told me that he will need to go to the ski area to do some tree stand examination and invited me to go with him. I will run in the woods while he is doing his volunteer work. 

Fire report: It seems like finally the fire is contained now, which makes us all more relaxed. The air is still a little smokey, but not hazardous anymore.

Over the river and thru the woods I go!!! Yippiieee.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tammy, even though it was a tough decision about Jade, it was the right one.  Thinking of you and your family.  starr, I'll probably run a 5K or two each month for awhile.  It would be nice to run with you if we didn't live so far apart.  enke, way to tough out a 5K on hilly terrain.

This morning, it was in the low 30s and there was just a light breeze.  I got in 3 miles at a 10:30 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

OPIE, I keep forgetting to say WAY TO GO, DUDE!!!

I had so much fun today, I just registered for another race, 4 mile predictor run, no GPS allowed, no mile markers on course.  Winners are the ones that get closest to their predicted time.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Guess I'm not ever going to catch up with the last two weeks and will probably be missing a lot of the the few as i head back to NC for the meat of a long project completion and startup.

I will say how sorry I am to hear about Tammy having to have Jasmine put down.  Always sad, but the best desicion for her.

6.2 miles today and 3.1 yesterday.  The second half of the longer got a little slow, but glad to get a couple in.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Bushrat Runner

Okay...I'm posting pre-run to make myself accountable to somebody...

I'm going 8 (or maybe more) today. 

There, now I have to do it. Wind and all. The rain stopped.

.....My car had trouble getting up the hill.

..Line of The Day.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....