Masters Running

Soggy Tuesday, 1.24.17 (Read 43 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good pool work and weighted squats, Holly. Nice 4 mill miles, Dave - I'm glad the resolution crowds are thinning for you. Nice work on the greenway, TW, and good learning from the other senior walker. Nice 10K in the field house, Spinach, with some barefoot work too. Good easy 6 to and back from the park, Paul. Nice recovery 4 on the TM, BerthaSlayer. What's tabata? Good chainsawing cross-training, with a fire reward, Enke. Good 6.6 on the TM, Catwhoorg. That's a wake up call I wouldn't want to get daily. Nice 8.2 snowy miles, Deeze. Good luck with the ACLS certification. Good 8 miles on the track with a shoveling warm-up Mike. Nice 5.2 on the TM with a TM maintenance warm-up, Evanflein. Maybe you can get a real service person (instead of the kid) on the phone today. Good post-work 2, Steve.

I took Dave's reluctance to provide specific numbers as a reaction to the absurd discussions about which inauguration had more attendees.

Sounds like it'll be a great meet-up in Phoenix on 2/25 with Holly, Evanflein, La Tortuga, Willrunforbeer and PDR!

I hope you are feeling better, and aren't dead today, Leslie.

Roch, are the tax-prep classes cross-training?

"I've heard people say once it's below -10 it's just all cold, but that's not true." Evanflien, whether or not that is true is a matter of perspective.

Mike, are you excited about the cold wave coming your way?

5.6 miles this morning in 20+mph wind-driven sleet and rain, with sleet and slush-covered roads. Even with my Yaks, it was tough to get slip-free footing, so my damnstring was complaining a bit by the time I got back. The only saving grace this morning was that the temps were relatively mild at 30F. Yeah, I was a little wet by the time I got back - my shoes should dry by March...

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Just dropping in before I'm off to class again.

Hey, Erika -- I was just wondering what people do about their cars when it hits -40F. I thought that even anti-freeze doesn't work below about -30 or so. Does everyone have block heaters and keep their cars plugged in all the time? I know that in some particularly cold spots like International Falls, MN that the parking meters all have electrical outlets for people to plug in to.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mike, are you excited about the cold wave coming your way?

Just speaking for someone one state away from Mike and umm, no.  Even though we haven't seen the sun in like two weeks, the mild temps these last few days have been amazing. There's not a lot of snow left on the ground here, which is very unusual for the end of January. I ran 5.5 miles in 36° at 5:00 AM.  The streets are clear of ice which won't be the case later on today. There's 3-4 inches of snow predicted, then "seasonal" temps for the rest of the week. So enjoy it Erika, and thanks a lot!

Way to get out there in rotten weather today Jay, and take care of that damnstring! Thanks for your recap (I like to call these the Cliffnotes of the RA forum )

Off to feed the beasts. Have a great Tuesday everyone.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Fly-by post on a busy workday, hope you all are well and staying warm.

5 miles on the TM for me this morning watching Poldark.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

..... our 5 year old wanders into our room, says she feels bad, and throws up on the carpet!

Not the best alarm, but certainly effective.

I have a vague memory as a little kid of doing this exact same thing to my parents. Don't remember if I hit the floor or the bed. 

I'm slowly coming back to life.  Getting a good core workout with all the coughing, so there's that . . . . 

We're supposed to have a week of no rain. Yay!

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

There's 3-4 inches of snow predicted, then "seasonal" temps for the rest of the week. So enjoy it Erika, and thanks a lot!

You are so welcome! Seriously, we've been in the deep freeze for what feels like weeks, so I'm ready for some warmer temps! Today won't be "real" warm with a high of 5° but I brought my stuff and will go for a run at the end of the day... outside!

I like the term "damnstring" for what's ailing you, Jay. Seems very appropriate.

Leslie, seems like just the other day you were saying how much you needed the rain. Enough already, right? Sorry it's hitting CA so hard which really doesn't help and causes so much damage.

Doug, block heaters are a requirement here. Any car you want to drive past October has to be "winterized" and the coolant is mixed to a -40 rating. I don't know what that involves, but it works. Most people have an oil pan heater and battery blanket or heater, too. Most parking lots at work sites have plug-ins and you're supposed to plug in at anything colder than +20 to help with the air quality issues we have in the winter. Most people don't until zero or so, but still. We pay $285 a year for parking here and that's to cover the electric and plowing costs. In the summer, it's fun to see tourists in the parking lot looking at the plug ins. I can only imagine what they're thinking!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Doug, block heaters are a requirement here. Any car you want to drive past October has to be "winterized" and the coolant is mixed to a -40 rating. I don't know what that involves, but it works. Most people have an oil pan heater and battery blanket or heater, too. Most parking lots at work sites have plug-ins and you're supposed to plug in at anything colder than +20 to help with the air quality issues we have in the winter. Most people don't until zero or so, but still. We pay $285 a year for parking here and that's to cover the electric and plowing costs. In the summer, it's fun to see tourists in the parking lot looking at the plug ins. I can only imagine what they're thinking!

Back in the olden days when I was a fledgling fisheries biologist, my supervisor, who lived in very upstate NY, told me that on a -20°+ morning, his block heater and the battery that he stored indoors for the night worked very nicely.  the car started properly, but the vinyl front seat shattered when he sat on it.

On a running note, all I will say is that Jay is a much more dedicated runner than I am.  I did make it out for 4 on Sunday.  Shorts in January is always a special treat.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

''..... our 5 year old wanders into our room, says she feels bad, and throws up on the carpet!''

...........Great Line, I've been laughing ever since yesterday...............

=============

50s here.........but it could Snow Thurs ( A Salve to our Northern Runners)

20-min HH on Greenway

and

40-min PoolRun, no belt, closed fists, run in shallows, push against water

.........good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

pfriese

Warm & windy on this singlet-wearing interval-training January day. Total of 7.3 miles (5x1000m, 400m recovery; + wu & cd) on a warm & windy day.

Paul

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

First walk-a-mute for two months.
                      4.5 miles / 44o / cloudy.
                      Enke- keep that chainsaw handy
                      next time you’re in the hot tub. Smile
                      Erika - what’s the coldest, if ever,
                      you have ever been running and
                      seen someone else running too?
                      Incidentally, down here, monthly parking
                      sine plugs is $140-$150/month!
                      ps jay - I’m thinking maybe the salt store
                      could provide flavorings for all the different
                      kinds of potato chips found in Japan.
                      pps stumps - me too.
                      As a FS, are you in AFS too?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks for the lesson, Erika.  I always wonder how life continues to function in such incredibly frigging cold conditions.  Amazes me.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

pps stumps - me too.
                          As a FS, are you in AFS too?

Alas, I never made it past fledgling FS.  I regressed to an electrical engineer when the FS jobs were few and far between.  As much as I've enjoyed the EE gig, I always wonder what I missed out on.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Alas, I never made it past fledgling FS.  I regressed to an electrical engineer when the FS jobs were few and far between.  As much as I've enjoyed the EE gig, I always wonder what I missed out on.

nice.

kind of me too but, fortunately,

my FS only got supplemented,

not pre-empted, along the way.

However, why stumps?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Just speaking for someone one state away from Mike and umm, no.  Even though we haven't seen the sun in like two weeks, the mild temps these last few days have been amazing. There's not a lot of snow left on the ground here, which is very unusual for the end of January. There's 3-4 inches of snow predicted, then "seasonal" temps for the rest of the week. So enjoy it Erika, and thanks a lot!

Everything Jlynne said--especially the "thanks a lot!" part.

No running today but I registered for the Shiprock Marathon.  I love being registered for a marathon.  And, now, I have to eat real quick and get to a church meeting.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - no calls about the Oreo issue, but I got a call from the school principal about a new one.  (Given the fact that I am under huge stress at work, as is usual at the end of the month, I nearly burst into tears at the call.)  Apparently, DD and a friend were jokingly staging an argument on SnapChat, that was supposed to culminate into a fight.  Supposedly more than 100 kids showed up in the HS commons expecting a "girl-fight" that was in actuality just a joke.  Not funny.  DD may get suspended for causing an uproar, or some such.  DD says she actually posted nothing on her phone, that everything came from her friend's phone.  I will be meeting with the principal in the morning to discuss.  (sigh)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."