Masters Running

Boston in SloMo (Read 547 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I was worried about this one, not knowing if the piriformis/sciatic would start stabbing during the run. There was some soreness each time weight shifted to the left leg while walking to the start line! At 1 mile I was passed by Mickey and Minnie Mouse and (I was wearing my Maniac singlet) they pointed at me and said "look, another Limping Maniac". That was really motivating. The soreness started easing and by mile 6 it was not an issue. I just kept a 9:30 pace because that didn't hurt. By mile 10 I was really optimistic about finishing. The muscles became fatigued after mile 16 and the pace slowed even more but I kept on trucking never stopping or walking even through water stops. I kept my head high and saw much more of the crowd and runners than last time. Amazing! In slo motion, I passed walking runners up the hills. I think the last mile was 11:00 pace but, down Boylston, who cares! Finished my 3rd slowest in 4:19:54 (9:55 pace) But...... Zero knee soreness after January's knee surgery! It was wonderful meeting so many running friends! I finally got to meet Breeger!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Gin79

I saw a pic on FB this morning of 2 people in my running club wearing Mickey and Minnie stuff. Being Maniacs themselves, they have to be the ones who spoke to you.

I mostly post on KR but lurk over here and was most curious to see how you'd do. I had knee surgery in March and am just getting back to running now, ( somewhat ). To run the Boston marathon so soon and do it in the time you did, is awesome. Glad you suffered no pain. It gives me hope! Congratulations!

Slo

Perch

Your recovery was remarkable in my book.

Nice race, glad you got to enjoy it. You definetly earned your spot.

wildchild

Carolyn

Perch, slo mo is all relative!  I think that was a great time, given your recent surgery and other issues.  I was following your progress yesterday, along with about 20 of our other masters, so I felt almost like I was there in Boston too.  I'm so glad the initial soreness went away and you finished the race slow and steady, and more importantly, feeling OK.   Congrats!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

nice job Steve!!  Zero knee soreness the day after Boston is a prize all in itself!!  congratulations!!

denise

After knee surgery being able to run let alone run a marathon is a great victory!  Congratulations on your Boston run.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

coastwalker

Hi Perch,

Mickey and Minnie Maniac - who knew?? It's great that you ran the entire race and finished tired, but pain-free. It was a fantastic job so soon after your surgery. Congratulations!!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

What do a bunch of Walt Disney characters know??  You did great, not a PW, and no soreness.  Sounds like you knew exactly how fast or slow to run it.  And getting to meet tall Byll is kind of a prize too.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I finally got to meet Breeger!

I finally got to meet PerchCreek!

It was great to finally meet you Steve.  The smile in your Avatar is really indicative of your personality - always smiling and happy.  You ran another smart race and we are not surprised one bit.  You are a talented and smart runner who knows when to go for it and when to just enjoy the day.

Heal up and you will nail your next Boston!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

SteveP

What a sweet RR Perch. It sounds like a wonderful experience, we've all been pulling for you.

SteveP

Way to tough it out Steve. Your determination and student of the sport approach is amazing. It was great to see you in real time-----my grin twin.

Maybe you didn't achieve your best time in the race, but I hope it was a best time experience in Boston!

Karin

Great run Perch! Glad you're feeling good and that you had a great time.

dg.

Steve. way to go!   I was worried about this one too!    And you were sore walking to the start.  Yikes.     You have had more than your share of issues, & you just keep going.    I'd say this was an all around success.   Wonderful.   Congratulations!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Steve. you are one smart runner whom many admire and look up to. I am happy you finished the Boston Marathon, and lived to run another day. Your comeback has been amazing with all the ups and downs, but when it was all said and done.............you ran about the only race you could given your injury......WTG Steve. Better and faster times will be here before you know it, because of how smart and determined you are.

Thanks for all you do for us here at RA....you for sure have impacted my life with and the way I train and race, more than Ya know

Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Steve, you really rebounded from that knee surgery amazingly well!   Congratulations on completeing the journey.  I for one, don't think you were slo at all and I'm happy for you!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com