Masters Running

Hooray - it's May! 5.1.22 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

I'm going to have to go back to yesterday's post at some point to find out what I did to get named in the header. But I don't have time now. We've had a whirlwind time of it so far with our weekend company, and now I've got to get breakfast started before the rest of the crew wakes up.

I got in a little over 4 miles yesterday morning, and later on we all went for a walk with a neighbor for another 3 miles. And this morning I got out for 4.3 more and got to see a bit o' sunrise.

Have a greta Mayday Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Good morning folks. 3 miles for me this morning. Someone at Parkrun yesterday told me about a nearby neighborhood that was nice to run in so I gave it a try today. It was a nice change of pace rather than doing circles in my development. I just had to drive a mile or so down the road to get there. (A road that is too narrow to safely run on or I could have run there.)

Holly - That was nice of your daughter and her boyfriend to take over the yard work.

I still don't know when or if Tet went for a run/walk the last couple mornings. 

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve - I like your definition of races. Mine's the same, except since I'm the only one back at my pace, no socializing part.

Jay - hope you get everything done so you can have the rest of the day off.

I still don't know when or if Tet went for a run/walk the last couple mornings. 

Dave - come on out sometime and find out, . . . but don't tell anyone.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks, Jay.  I just have to trust that tet is doing what he needs to do!  Who knows?

5.3 miles starting from the clubhouse.  Got it done.  Gotta get going.  Have a greta Sunday.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good morning folks.  Thanks for the start Jay, and I hope the breakfast you prepared for your guests was a big hit. When is your sugery scheduled again? I'm sorry I forgot.

Yeah, it usually takes me a couple of times to read through Tet's posts to get the "gist" of what he's saying! Gotta love him though 

We've been stuck in this god-awful weather cycle the last week or so. Rain or rain showers every day, lots of wind and below normal temps for this time of the year. I volunteered at a golf outing yesterday, where all of the greens and cart fees and proceeds from a huge silent auction went to benefit an organization that sends supplies and funding to Ukraine. I was on a par 3 hole for 2 1/2 hours, trying to talk the golfers into playing a bean bag (or corn hole) toss game to win tickets to a Brewers game. The sustained winds were 25 mph and we had some gusts over 40-45. And it was raining. Lovely. Needless to say, it took a lot of convincing to get the players to stop long enough to play the game. I think people felt sorry for me though, and I took in over $300 in the time I was out there. I came home, took a long, hot shower and had 3 cups of tea before I finally started to warm up. I heard on the news this morning that the event took in over $30,000 for Ukraine, which is fantastic. Two of the players I met yesterday were sisters from Ukraine. They still have family there and were telling me about how brutal the living conditions are right now and how afraid everyone is to stay. Or leave. I felt guilty whining about being cold and uncomfortable standing out in bad weather for a couple of hours after hearing what her family is going through. I put a wine basket together for their silent auction, and the final bid was $110!

I got out for 4 miles this morning before the next batch of rain starts. And the winds have died down. Only 15 mph now. I hope it's better where you are today. Enjoy your Sunday!

dnaff

We are having great weather if it were February.  I finished a 2.5 mile walk/run in fleece lined tights.  Granted, if I were running more of it I only would've needed my regular ones.

My husband has his old car at the Main Street Car show today.  He took an umbrella, some sunblock, and wore a winter coat.  He's prepared!  Usually the local watering holes do a bang up business during the show.  This year I believe it will be standing room only at the coffee shops!

I was going to walk the dog down and see how he's holding up but I think we'll drive.  Maybe take him a blanket or 2.

MurrayM

Our weather is cool & rainy, but it's been a dry spring so far and the rain forest is happy to sponge it up.

28K today...long/easy Galloway run (1 minute walk/drink/snack every 3K) meandering around on the valley floor, but still managed to get 1,000' of elevation gain.

The last 3K weren't pretty 

Visiting family gone now, so blissful normalcy has returned. Great visit, but I really appreciate normalcy!

MurrayM

Anybody else busting out socially these days?

Our community is over 90% vaccinated, so things have opened up quite a bit. In the last month we've gone to a stand up comedy show, to a neighbourhood  pub for open mike night, and to several dinners with groups of friends up to about 16 people.

It's like being able to hit the RESET button on Life.

I busted out a long time ago and, in fact, traveled throughout the pandemic except for those first scary 9 months or so.  We had a full church this morning and no masks except a few in the choir.  Our infection rate is low but rising a little, and the cases are, for the most part, not as serious as they were in the beginning.   That said, I did get my 4th shot today with some reluctance, and only because I will be doing a lot of travel and one of the places- St. John USVI- has very limited medical care.  I hope I'm not too under the weather tomorrow from the shot.  I hate injections, too, but the pharmacist was very patient with me.

More later, but just wanted to add that from Omaha to Iowa and now staying here near Joliet on our last night it's been nothing but 50s, gray clouds, occasional rain, and WIND for about 4 days now. So Jlynne, dnaff, and others are by no means alone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

We are having great weather if it were February. 

He took an umbrella, some sunblock, and wore a winter coat. 

Great to be prepared!  I always tell my kids, when you leave the house, be prepared as if you might have to stand outside your car for a couple of hours if it breaks down.  So, even if you don't want to WEAR a coat, throw one in the backseat.

Jeanne - good for you for volunteering, and especially in those conditions!

KSA - hope the shot doesn't give you any annoying symptoms.

What I want to know is, how do we get the money from these and many other fundraising efforts to the people of the Ukraine?  How can we ensure that it gets used wisely, for the people, and not squandered or skimmed by unscrupulous people?  I remember when the hurricane did so much damage in Haiti, and so much money funneled in from the entire world, but 95% of the "relief" went into the pockets of the corrupt politicians instead of helping the people.  Anyone have some thoughts on how to be smart about donating to organizations?

Since the kids did the lawn yesterday, DH and I spent the morning pulling weeds and trimming shrubs.  Shower, then a lovely ride in the countryside on the Harley to enjoy the sunshine and warm temps (70-ish).  No  workout, though.  Back at it tomorrow.

I am getting $484/week from Unemployment - actually $436 net, since I am having some taxes taken out. Does the amount you get differ from state to state?  I apparently have about 20 weeks, which really alleviates some stress as far as money goes.  Of course, when I was working my take home was substantially more, but still, we won't lose the house or miss our payments on bills, so that is a big relief.

I did that speed test and I got 29 mbps download and 6.2 mpbs upload.  I have no idea what this really means. My DS says it is really slow, but I have not noticed any problems with performance.  Thoughts?

Dave - I am still thinking about that map you posted.  Why is it that the coldest states get the highest ratings?  I don't know anyone who would move north on purpose.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly- the amount does differ from state to state.  If I ever get my arrears unemployment, I will only get $275 a week, which is our max.

MA must be considerably higher for unemployment pay - dh is collecting about $700/week as of last week. His lay off comes at a good time for us since he is able to do some remodeling in our kitchen at home before we move out of our apartment 5/25

I am trying to break out of a slump and had a good start today - did a morning Peleton ride followed by a 5 min cool-down ride and a 5 min post-ride stretch, went to church for an uplifting service, then a 3.6 run walk followed by 5 min post-run stretch and a 10 min focus flow yoga concentrating on hamstrings. My left hamstring is still crazy tight!!

We opened up the camper yesterday and caught up with a few friends, but didn't spend the night. I have been really wiped out since my Nashville trip and going right back to 12 hour shifts so I just wanted to sleep in my own bed and not have to worry about keeping the camper warm enough. Think we made a wise decision!

Happy Sunday evening friends!!

denise

Dave59

I did that speed test and I got 29 mbps download and 6.2 mpbs upload.  I have no idea what this really means. My DS says it is really slow, but I have not noticed any problems with performance.  Thoughts?

Dave - I am still thinking about that map you posted.  Why is it that the coldest states get the highest ratings?  I don't know anyone who would move north on purpose.

Your internet speed is barely above DSL levels. If you were streaming movies/shows from multiple devices at one time or heavy duty gaming, you would see some lag or buffering. I am not an expert by any means but even the most basic service from a cable company should be 50-100 mbs down. We only had DSL up in Michigan before we got the Starlink dish and we streamed shows, and I had no trouble working from up there. I was blurry on video conferences because of slow upload speeds but that is a good thing.  6.2 is probably enough to not be blurry.

As long as you don't try to do too much at once, you are fine with what you have.

Sitting in my Lazboy at home just using my phone as a Verizon hot spot I get 35 mps down and 44 up, (I turned off the wifi to test it.)

That map was a joke. You should know by now that I don't post anything of serious or worthwhile value.  Those are the "top" states, as in at the top of the map.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I figured I'd stop in just to let you know I'm still keeping track of you all.

It has been windy and cold and windy and rainy and windy, here, for days.... which is why I did my 10 mile run, yesterday, and my 8 mile run, today, on the treadmill... where I had no wind.

I had to go to a choir concert, yesterday, so I wasn't able to lift with Zac but, today, we did an upper body workout.  He is up to 155 pounds on the bench, now... but was bummed out that he couldn't get up 160.  It won't be long before he blows right by me.

Okay--that's about all I got.  See ya!