Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 11.16.17 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wednesday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (2.5 morning Monkey-taper miles)
    Dave59 (3.67 pretty good miles with quick turnover)
    Tramps (exercises + 3.6 chilly, sunny miles)
    Jlynne (4+ miles with the ladies, including 45 min on the elliptical & weights, and two partly rainy miles)
    Fatozzig (3 morning miles with deliciously-pooped legs)
    Catwhoorg (12 lunchtime bike miles with hillage)
    Marj (tri with 3 miles each of running & walking + fridge cleaning)
    Tet (5 walking miles to fitness ctr showers, and to acupuncture)
    Holly (7.5 morning TM miles watching “Endeaver&rdquoWink
    Wildchild (10 low, flat trail miles)

Surly Bill (10 miles @ 8:10)

Evanflein (8.2 evening TM intervals with splits declining through the 8s to 2X.1@7:30 in last mile)

Very sad situation, indeed, in Zimbabwe. Hopefully, the new leaders will do a much better job than Mugabe - they couldn't do much worse. I just don't understand politicians/leaders who look out for themselves first, and just don't care about the suffering of the people they are supposed to look out for and lead. Maybe I'm too naive...

Good job of increasing your turnover rate, Dave. Good thing to work on.

Sounds like Fatozzig's DH got in the spirit of National Bundt Day, knowing about it or not. Fatozzig, it sounds like you are working on getting a good little toe push-off at the end of your stride, which is a great way to help bring that leg forward more quickly.

Acupuncture helped me get rid of my sciatica issue many years ago. Every time I went in for a treatment, I'd get needled up and then fall asleep for the rest of the session. Nice.

Mystery of the 98 year-old racer at the Seacoast Half Marathon partially-solved: I got a photo of the person with that bib # from the race photographers, and he looks more like 38 than 98. Now the question is whether he made a mistake with his age, or wore someone else's bib?

5.6 EZ miles this AM in 36° temps, with lots of wind from the SE, and lots of clouds as rain is going to move in for today.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Mike--good luck on the job lead.

Brrrr--the snow reports from Colorado and Alaska seem early, though I know they're not.

Balmy 42F this morning so I had to get out on the bike.  Just under 21 miles; chilly but manageable with beautiful golden autumnal sunlight making everything glow.

Heading to low 60s today so after work I'll try to get a final mow done to mulch leaves so I can winterize the lawn tractor this weekend. I may be mowing in the dark, though; it's dark so early now.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

Mystery of the 98 year-old racer at the Seacoast Half Marathon partially-solved: I got a photo of the person with that bib # from the race photographers, and he looks more like 38 than 98. Now the question is whether he made a mistake with his age, or wore someone else's bib?

Or maybe 98 is the new 38. 
        Hoping this was an honest mistake (maybe accidentally inputting birthdate year wrong on registration ?).

4 days of no running now. ughhhh. yesterday was just absolutely pouring when I left work. and I just couldn't not muster up the motivation to run in the dark and the pouring rain. And I only brought outdoor running clothes with me which would have been entirely too hot in the gym. Today I have shorts just incase it's like that again and I go to run on the TM. But hoping for no rain, or at least light rain so I can run the track.

Tammy

Big difference between 98 and 38.  Transcription error?

2.7 miles this morning.  Did it.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Boy, everyone must be busy today.  Of course, i have no run to report, but thought i could at least fill up some space.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

spacityrunner

No run for me either but I can be a space filler too...just like Stumpy 

Trails Rock!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Just another space filler, here.  No run for me, again.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

Space-filler, as well.  Got up at 5:00, fed the cats, got out my workout clothes, and thought, "Hm.  What exactly am I suppose to do today?"  Pulled out my schedule - Rest Day!!  Went back to bed for another 2 hours.  Perfect.

I could go on more about Zimbabwe, but I'm not sure how much you all want to hear?  A major issue is Mugabe passed a law that any business in the country MUST be majority owned by a black Zim.  Under those circumstances, what business in their right mind would go into the country? EXCEPT for China.  China's influence over the country is very apparent - and not good.

Also, when Mugabe and gang decided the UN wasn't going to do what it was supposed to as far as transferring power back to native black Zims, they decided to take things into their owns hand and sent the military into business, onto farms, etc., who subsequently raped, pillaged, murdered, etc..  An example: You're a white Zim family who owns a dairy farm that's been in the family for over 100 years (or more).  You're sitting eating breakfast one morning and suddenly your farm is swarmed by 1200 soldiers, your door is busted down, a gun is stuck in your face, and you're told you have 10 minutes to get out or you'll be killed.  The soldiers overran all the farms, ranches, etc., killed off all the cattle to feed themselves, cut down all the fruit trees for firewood, and on and on.  They don't know how to run the factories, raise cattle, grow produce, therefore, in one big swoop they pretty much eliminated their entire economy and ability to feed the people.  Then we get back to the corruption, etc.

It's fascinating and so incredibly sad all at the same time.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Howdy all -- no run here either, but I did make it to 5:00am spin followed by Body Pump, then came home and put my tri bike on the trainer and rode for another 5 miles just to say I finally got back on my bike!! Sunday I signed up for an hour of computraining then yoga for athletes and I have a feeling I am going to feel the lack of riding!!

We prayed for the people of Zimbabwe at mass today - so tragic.

Delivered a baby on my own last night -- well it pretty much delivered itself, but there was no time to wait for the OB provider. Fortunately it was a midwife who I have a very good relationship with so she was teasing me more than being upset that she missed the delivery!! Pretty cool tho!!

The beauty of my work schedule is today was the 1st of 5 days off in a row without using any vacation days!! Love it!!

Happy almost weekend!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

I ran!  But not much.  I had an early morning meeting so I only had time for 3 miles on the TM watching Poldark on Masterpiece.

Super-busy at work but I feel as if I accomplished a lot this week.  Already worked 38 hours, so I think I will cut tomorrow short.  As DH likes to remind me, I don't get paid any more for working extra hours.

My boss is thinking of hiring a new elder law attorney.  The woman he interviewed has no elder law experience, but is willing to learn (read, useless for helping to lighten the load for at least two months).  I emailed him that my fear is that she will come on board thinking that I am "her paralegal" and will start delegating her paperwork to me.  Since I am already overwhelmed by the cases I have for my boss, I simply have no time to add another attorney's cases.  The thing about elder law cases is that the boss meets with them for an hour or two, and then I work with them for the next 6 months to two years, putting in at least 40 hours for most cases.  What we really need is another paralegal, not another attorney.

Here's another thing - her second interview today was with the 1) boss's son, 2) one of our two associate attorneys, and 3) the paralegal who drafts our trusts (the only male paralegal).  I have no idea why a paralegal who does not work the elder law cases would be part of the hiring decision-making team, but it is somewhat of a "good ol' boys club" kind of atmosphere where for whatever reason, this sole male paralegal is regularly included in things that the bevy of female paralegals are not invited to take part in.  Mostly I don't pay attention because I am too busy to worry about office politics, but to have him chosen to interview the attorney that I will be expected to train and work with is frankly annoying.

{{vent off}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Work in the office today. Stopped at the gym on the way home for a workout.

98/38. With the quality of some people's writing skills, the 3 could have very well looked like a 9 in a hand-written registration form. When my life accomplice writes me a check, the ATM machine ALWAYS says it cannot read the amount and I have to manually enter it.

Big ZERO for me today. Rain, wind, misery, lack of dedication all add up to rest day using numerology. I have no training schedule to adhere to, no races to prepare for, so I can pretty much wing it guilt-free. My only "goal" is a minimum of 30 miles a week and at least one 10 miler.

Holly; paralegals do ALL the work, just like nurses. But you already knew that 

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mariposai

No run for me either but I can be a space filler too...just like Stumpy 

MikeE, good luck with the job lead. You deserve soooooooo much better. Any company who hires you will be so lucky.

Holly, ohhh Holly, you too deserve soooo much better.

Tetsujin, sorry I was in Seattle and had no time to see you. Next time. We miss you.

Today was a long, but very fruitful day. Mid afternoon I was able to take time off to go running around and around the track at a speed that seemed soo fast to me, but in reality is not. Three miles easy, 5x800ms, then a mile as a cool off miles plus a few minutes of walking back to the office. With the track only two blocks from my office I really should be doing speed work on a regular basis.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tetsujin, sorry I was in Seattle and had no time to see you. Next time. We miss you.h

Huh, Mariposai busy?

Next thing you know, Holly'll be claiming it too.

However, hope posie didn't miss erika.

See you next time.

thanks

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)