Masters Running

Monday Morning Wake-up Runs (Read 494 times)

Good morning. This is the front desk with your wake-up call. Time to lace up those running shoes and head out the door. Of course, the wind, rain and nasty weather left just in time to go back to work today. A beautiful morning here. 45° without much wind. 5.75 miles at a 9:21 pace and 5 minutes of jumping rope and then some stabilty ball work.  The birds were chirping and there were lots of other folks out at 4:45 this morning.

Leslie, your DH owes you BIGTIME!

Always like to hear about the adventures of Avenger Dog. Keep 'em coming!

Our high school is hosting the city track meet tonight and I'm working the high jump. It's always exciting to see these great young athletes who have worked so hard all season.

Hope you all have a good start to the week.

Thanks for the wake-up call Jlynne.  I needed one this morning.

We're back at home after our very nice week in Boston and NYC.  We really lucked out and got the good weather when we were there.  It rained on both ends of the trip but not in the middle when it mattered.  Got rained out of yesterday's planned Central Park run and this morning's run at home as well.  I'll get some pictures posted - hopefully tonight.

I ran in Central Park on both Friday and Saturday.  Geez, there were a bunch of people running, biking, walking Avenger Doggies, etc. there; especially on Saturday!  It seemed more like Times Square than Central Park.

I came back with a nasty head code.  (Hi DG!)

Holly, if the rest of us can write a Boston RR, you can too.  Slacker.  Speaking of which - thanks to everyone for the kind comments on my RR.  You guys are Great!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!   Thanks for the kick off Jlynne.   The wind finally died down around here too and the sun is shining ....of course, it is a work day!   Nice run and work out this morning.

I need Avenger Doggie to come over and tell find out which dog took my shoe, and also find out where he/she put it!   It is one of my puppy shoes (crocks).  

How sweet of your son Mariposa!

Yep, Stumpy - my Adrenalins are version 10.   That is good to hear that the last that long!

Erika - we have to keep the cats in a crate for at least a week to teach them that this is home now.  They will have a kitty door leading into my attached garage for shelter, food and water.   One is black and white, the other grey and white.   Although, I really haven't seen them all that good yet as they are still scared of the new surroundings. (there is a small crate for hiding inside the very large dog crate)  We plan to keep them in the crate for a week and then let them have the garage for a few more days before letting them go out on their own.   Hopefully it all works as they say it will.   We got quite the education on cats yesterday from the shelter lady.

Congratulations on first place in your AG Timbo!   How's the groin feeling today?

Speaking of pains, how are you feeling today Deb??

Rest day for me.   Not much to do here at work either.   Gonna be a long one .....

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

Good Morning

Had a very nice weekend !  I had planned to get my long run in Sun morning and finish the last 8 miles with my Sister but it was pouring rain with some lightning. I was back home in time to knock out 21.2 miles in the late ....a nice cap to a great weekend.

I still need to go back and catch up on the last few days.....looks like a few new RR's to read too!

Legs are strong.....mind is clear !

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Sounds like a great schmitty weekend Slo!   Nice job on the 21.2 miler!!

Welcome home  Byll.   It sounds like you had a super week too!

I wonder if Avenger Doggie knows about this dog run yet. 

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Mary – I had wondered about that too (teaching outdoor cats that this is their home).  Keep us posted on their progress. 

Dg - check in with an update, will you?

3 easy-paced miles for me on the TM this morning, followed by push-ups, front raises, reverse flies, superman lifts, bench step-ups, leg lifts w-ankle weights, face-up and face-down, stability ball crunches and 8 chin-ups (2+2+2+2).

Having dinner parties is nice, but jeesh, it takes up the whole weekend, what with cleaning, cooking, and then cleaning up and recovering the next day.  I need a weekend to recover from my weekend......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Welcome back Byll. Hey, if you ran at Central Park yesterday you could have bump into Mrs. Twocat who was running her first half marathon in that nasty rain.

Thanks guys for the sweet comment about my son's first marathon. You know what amazes me most is that he never worried about  finish time, he trained since Dec. with very low miles due to the cold winter months in Poland and being slow did not bother him one bit. I can't wait to run with him here. I am still in awe that he ran a full marathon.

Resting day today. I spent my day working in the garden yesterday and today I am feeling it.

Happy Monday to  you all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

JLynne- I specifically asked to have my wake up call canceled this morning.

No run for me yet, but I did make it to Brockport to coach spring practice at 5:30 this morning. Now it is spending the day watching our students run in an annual race that we do with the other elementary schools in our district. I will run with my 5K group after school. My legs feel surprisingly good after the weekend. Maybe there is something to this consistency thing with running, who knew?

Mariposai-You never fail to touch my heart, thanks for the kind words.

Breger-Welcome back from your trip. I have always wanted to run in Central Park. That is definitely on my to do list.

Slo-Legs strong and mind clear? Someday I hope to know what that's like, but the name of the book is Baby Steps.

Holly-You know you are doing a good job of living when you need weekends to recover from weekends.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Welcome back Bylly

Nice LR Slo.. you training for something?

Mari.. genetics.. of coarse he can run a marathon Smile

2 mile walk with the dogs.... faster and less sore. Then tried a test run and got 100 ft and the piroformis said. not yet. 30 min elliptical instead.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Slo

Nice LR Slo.. you training for something?

Not really but yea......Cellcom Marathon in Green Bay...May 16th. I signed up for the half but I've been running so well that I switched to the Full. 

No goals.....just run....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

please give your son a giant man-handshake, mari.

I hope I can do it for real if the mother/son marathon

is somewhere around here in the PNW when it happens.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks for the start off Jlynne....and nice run. Have fun at the track meet....I still like to watch them myself (and imagine myself out there back in the day )

Welcome back Bill....glad you had a nice time other than the race it's self

Nancy, big Congrats to your DS......You have to be super proud....What a great example and Mom you are.

I like the way that Slo says......"not really but yea".....but then says he's running a Marathon

Mary, isn't about time you announce your plans to run another Marathon

Holly's X Training routine again made me feel like a slacker...I wish I had your discipline for that

Hope you get that "pesky" injury healed up already Steve....but you sure are one patient Guy

Hi Tapering Tet.....did you have a race currently?

Deb, Ya still being a good Girl 

You know what's weird and hard to explain sometimes.......

My groin hurt sooooo bad at the end of my run Sat, that I could hardly stand it and couldn't walk the rest of the day.... and I have a high tolerance for pain, as many know ( not a good thing sometimes I know) But yesterday I woke up and I didn't feel much if any pain in my groin, and decided to test it with a run, and bail if I felt pain. I ran 7 "peppy" miles and my groin did not hurt at all, and my legs felt great with running so many miles the day before with a race too.

How does that work  Oh well.....I am not complaining though!

Also, I am not really fretting about my 50K training anymore. I talked to another Tri friend of mine Sat morning before our 5K race, and he said he only Marathon trains for any 50K he has ran......he said all those extra miles I am running is not really going to help that much, because he said it's more mental than physical after so many miles. But I do think my 30 plus mile weekends are beneficial, and falls in line with what Leslie and others have said about two long runs 2 days in a row, being better than one very long one.

Hope Everyone is Having a Good Monday so far 

Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

dg.

hi all!

another quickie.  

Tim, I'm always good!  Wink     way to go on your 5K.   glad you're ok!    can't imagine you having problems with your 50K.   

thanks for the wakeup & the hi Jeanne!   ... when is your half??  I didn't miss it did I?

Hi Mary!  did you find your shoe?       hope that works out with the kitties.

ok, (thanks Holly)... a brief update.   not doing great but seeing a doc Wed.  how's that?     oh.   I agree with Byll. write away sweetie.  & from what you said yesterday, I think it's something we can all benefit from!     .... I meant to say, I loved your run with DD.  made me smile just to read it.

Hi Byll.   code hugs.

gotta go.  more later!

Yeah SLO, that was a bit understated......

Tim - maybe groins just heal fast....think of all those people stretching by doing the splits then they are fine later.  Perhaps just one of the ligaments that stretches easily.

You know how you get up in the middle of the night to pee, and you are hobbling to the bathroom because your feet are sore and swollen, and you say, no run for me today!  But then 58F comes along and there is no wind and your feet feel a bit better and your legs are less dead....plus that mileage goal for the week is gnawing at your conscious.  I have no choice.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Thanks Holly S., dg., Jlynne, biketm, Mariposai, Aamos, enkephalin, wildchild, and CNYrunner for you well wishes for my DW's first HM.  I am pretty busy here at work today so this is going to be the support crew's rather brief RR.

Desired fashion report:  umbrella, waterproof trench coat, waterproof boots, and miscellaneous layers to stay warm with.

Actual fashion report:  pathetically small umbrella, water absorbing trench coat, not so waterproof boots, and not nearly enough layers (especially when wet) to stay warm with.

Nobody can say we were not warned.  The weather report was for steady rain.  It delivered!  At one point it let up a bit and switched to drizzle for about 10 minutes.  But then it resumed full bore rain.

Due to the rain all of the other members of the support crew bailed out.  A note to all DH's out there.  If your DW is running a race with her friends and it is pouring go be the support crew!  You get a ton of marital points.  It is a good deal.  Really take my word for this.

We arrived to the starting area in Central Park where the luggage check was located.  All the racers in my group came prepared with dry clothing to change into post race.  The really clever people running the race apparently thought that since people would get soaked while running they would prefer changing into similarly soaked clothing.  So, the luggage drop was wide open to the elements and lacked tables to even keep bags off the ground.  We then went to plan B which was for everybody to hand me their bags right at the start and for the support crew to then go back to the car and store them until post race.  I figure that was good for at least a dozen marital points right there!

By the time I returned I missed my DW at mile 1 and so moseyed on over to mile 5.5.  By now I was soaked too.  (See actual fashion report.)  At mile 5.5 I waited, and waited, and waited.  No dice.  They must have blown by me.  Easy to do.  The course was packed with runners and I was fumbling with my umbrella and camera in a pointless attempt to stay dry and warm.  Now I head back across park to the 7 mile mark.  I would have missed them again but this time they saw me and my DW got my attention.  Funny she was running with her friend the whole race and I never did see DW's friend.  No picture, of course.  By the time I managed to get my cold wet fingers to operate and turn on the camera all I could get was her disappearing into the distance. 

Back over to mile 11.  This time I spot her first!  But too late for a picture.  See wife, pull out camera while not dropping the umbrella, fumble to start camera with one free hand . . . Back to mile 12.9 to see her run to the finish.  I again spot her but too late for a picture.  I yell out her name but she is concentrating too much on just finishing to hear me.  So off to the finish to say hi to her and her friends.  They are all there and seem very happy with their performance.  DW of course set a new HM PR with a 10:44 pace!    On the up side her next HM has to be in better conditions!

As for me I am planning to (a) buy a much larger umbrella, (b) Scotch Guard my trench coat, and (c) get a new pair of waterproof boots! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/