Masters Running

Some Day of the Week Daily 11/14 (Read 36 times)

Figured I would get this started as nobody else has. Not that I ran today. It was an hour on the elliptical day. Got to run. Electrician is here.

Back.

SteveP sounds like you have quite a few bad doggie habits to break. Good luck.

Falconfixer do you need to watch for planes when you run? I mean I run on roads and look for cars. If you are running on a er, runway (sounds like it should be for runners not planes now that I think of it) then planes seem like a potential hazard.

wildchild if you get really plastered just remember my name is tetsujin209. Got that. 

Joe618 another vote for longer socks. Actually, I would vote for not cutting across snowy fields.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the start, Twocat. Good luck with the electrician.

I went for a massage yesterday afternoon, and got beat up. She worked out knots and tightness in my neck, shoulders, and calves, and worked on my chronic ankle problem. She knows just the right spots to dig into to hurt a guy, but I did fell a lot better when I left - I wonder if that was from the good work she did, or just because she stopped hurting me??

When I woke at 4 this morning, I decided to sleep in because I wanted to give my body more time to benefit from the massage, and because I wasn't excited about going out again in 16° temps. I surprised myself by getting right back to sleep, and not waking for another hour. I guess it was the right call.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Thanks, Twocat, for getting us started.

Jay - sounds like you made the right call.

Steve - I don't think I could let any of my dogs out off leash. One squirrel sighting and they would be long gone. Fortunately we have a fenced backyard.

My shoulder is much better, but still aches a bit, especially at night, and the lump is still there from the end of my collar bone sticking up.  I have a second opinion scheduled next week with another ortho guy, but I suspect the answer will be the same - unsightly is not enough of a reason for surgery.

I signed up for the local 24/12/8 hour trail race on 4/4/20. Since I have been plagued with injuries the last year or so, I chose the 8-hour option instead of the 12-hour.  No interest in the 24-hour...

4 miles for me on the TM this morning, doing the walk/run thing.  The running parts are getting slightly easier.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

anneb

I ran 3 uninspired miles on the mill- yes another treadmill run. The temps are fine (27) but the streets are icy, and I’m not a fan of falling. So it goes. Hoping for some more melting of stuff today!

Tet- yes that pic you posted is exactly what I’m talking about. Could be even an advertisement for winter running apparel, gore tex shoes, or whatever, but always with the ankle socks! 

Anne

Dave59

3.2 miles this morning for me at the park. I told one of the morning regulars that I was moving next week so don't think I have converted to a couch potato when they stop seeing me.

22° this morning so it was long pants for the first time this season. When it is cold I always wear a pair of my Smartwool socks that cover the ankles. It would never cross my mind to wear short socks in cold weather and I never noticed the advertisements that show that. Now I'll be looking at everyone's ankles when I am out running in the cold to see what the trends are around here.

Good decision staying off the ice anneb. Falling is against the rules after all.

8 hours of fun for Holly

The fitness center where we are moving has a poster up about one free 30-minute massage per month. I will have to try it out and see how that is,

...for me

Winter work-outs are

FleeceLined Squall Jacket,

UnderArmour top and pants,

PolarFleece mittens,

balaclava over the nose and mouth,,,,,AND THORLO'S........I Lurve those socks,,,,,,

==========

but

going shooting today, found my DuckHunting pants

(even tho

I don't duck hunt)

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Joe618

Morning all!   Jay, I am THRILLED to hear you got some extra sleep!!    Good call with the cold temps working out your way.   Enjoy the rest of your day.   Twocat, hope the electrical repairs go well...we are getting new gutters installed today.  Holly, glad you are getting a little more comfortable.   Anne, yes, hoping to get some melt here today as well.   And uninspired runs still count...your streak is going!  Dave, glad all the pieces for your move are coming together.   Don't shoot yourself in the foot, TomWhite..it messes up the running badly. 

I'm laughing and somehow deeply touched that all of you are concerned about my ankles in cold weather...thank you!!  I just threw that line in yesterday about the snow on my bare ankles because it captures "winter is here so run anyway" for me...that's a distinct feel of winter for me every year.  I think it is funny and it happens every winter and this was the first this winter...so I mentioned it.

I've actually never even considered wearing longer socks in winter...seriously...never have.   I have thought about gaitors for dusty/stony trail runs (though I have only thought about it, never bought any).   But for regular runs...just tights then some bare skin and then socks and shoes.   Maybe this reveals some deep psychological issue for me, shaking my angry little fist at winter, saying "I'll leave some bare skin anyway and you can't hurt me!!!" sort of thing.   Or just stupidity. 

Rock your day folks, no matter the length of your socks!!!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Marathon Maniac #957

Or just stupidity. 

Not like runners are EVER thought to be doing anything stupid......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild if you get really plastered just remember my name is tetsujin209. Got that. 

It usually doesn't get cold enough here to worry about ankle exposure or even wear long tights, but when it does, I have crew length socks I'll wear under my tights.

Dunkin!  Quit running away! 

I struggled getting up because I was so dang comfortable in bed, but I got up and went down to the gym for 30 min on the elliptical and 30 min of core/ST.  I'm really liking using the pull-up/dip machine and the core-thing piece of equipment where you hold yourself up on your forearms and then lift your lower body up and down.  So now I need (1) a bigger shed so I can have (2) an elliptical, (3) a pull-up/dip machine, (4) a core thing, and a weight bench.   . . . . yeah, I don't see any of those happening, either.

Have a good one ~~

Image result for happy thursday funny

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

I used to wear smart wool socks when running in the winter, but haven't in a long time. I find my feet just really don't get cold when I'm out running. But then again, I don't run in the real cold I used to run in. But yeah, I've got longer socks and like tomwhite (and Econo!) also love my Thorlos.

Steve, we used to have a husky that would hang out with us outside unless we wanted her to come. Then, tail up and off she went. She was a wonderful dog and we loved her dearly, but that was something we never could break. She loved to ride in the car though, so we'd drive by, open the door and call her name, she'd jump in all smiles and wagging tail, we'd drive for a bit, turn around and go home. Good luck with Duncan.

Holly, hope you continue to heal. Are you doing PT for that shoulder?

No run yesterday but that was pretty much the plan. Today will probably be a treadmill run, tomorrow also, as we deal with another storm rolling through with wind and snow. Lovely.

Thanks, Twocat.     I have warmer socks for the winter and they are crew length.  I also have compression socks, but I never seem to remember them.    3.6 miles OUTSIDE (yay me) this morning.  I just needed to go out.  It was 29 and no ice on the roads (but a LOT by my garage on my driveway so I had to be really careful getting to my truck).  It was hard to get out of bed and outside, but I did it.

We watched the CMA award show last night which was fantastic.  We actually got to go to it for free in 2007 as "seat fillers" and it was one of our best music experiences ever.  I suppose I could try to buy tickets and go again, but the seats would be terrible and there's something to be said for watching it from the comfort of home.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi folks!  I took yesterday off for a sanity day, and it was wonderful!  I ended up baking a chai spice pound cake -- it's a dense little cake that's VERY highly spiced, and I took some to quartet rehearsal, where it was very well received.  Did weights this morning, but no biking because I felt like being a cold weather wuss.  Tomorrow might be a little warmer.

Neither DH nor I slept very well last night.  I couldn't get warm when I went to bed, and DH kept getting up for one reason or another.  The cats somehow suckered him into giving them nibblies twice in the middle of the night.  Then Dusty was up wandering around -- I think he was cold and wanted someone to go downstairs and sit on the couch with him.  The yarn for his "jacket" project is supposed to be delivered today.  Time to find some circular needles and start knitting!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

TammyinGP

good morning!

because the dog issues in our house never cease, today Bailey goes in for a check of a lump I noticed on the side of her rib cage.  I actually felt it about a week ago, but we were in the midst of dealing with Annie stuff, that I didn't mention it to DH because the last thing he needed was another stressor. We both suspect it's a fatty cyst that may or may not require aspiration or removal, or maybe just watch and monitor. But either way, she's having that checked out. oh, poor Bailey. She hates going to the vet. 

I have one more race for the year and that's this Saturday. A 10 mile trail run down in Ashland - which means lots of climbing.  so, since the year is nearing the end, I'm looking ahead to what I might want to do next year.  I'm seriously eyeing Castle Crags in April. They have a 50K/35K/10K option. Leaning towards the 35K.  Have you run in that area before Leslie?  About 6 miles from the race area is a place called Railroad Park Resort, in Dunsmuir.  I'm thinking that looks like a very cool place to stay so maybe DH and I made a long wknd of it and stay there. It's renovated train cars that are made into your own little private lodging.  and a train dining car is the restaurant.   Actually, I think that would be a real cool place for a meet-up run too. 

okay, gotta get some work done  -

Tammy

Tammy - I haven't run over there . . . yet.    They have a few races in that area, so maybe some day.  Ryan Spitz, the owner of Shasta Trail Runs, is the guy who ran/trail blazed 330 miles from Arcata to Shasta in 5 days.  The documentary is here.  Pretty incredible.  He's making it a race for next year.

KSA - I just watched a video of the tribute portion to women of country.  I have no clue who any of the women were who were singing Tammy Wynette's song, and didn't recognize hardly any of the folks they put the cameras on in the seats, except for the ones who've been around for a long time.  It was wonderful, though, to see Loretta Lynn there.  I believe she's 87 yo now.  An amazing life story.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - I woke up at 4am too and went right back to sleep, . . . but until 7:30am. Of course, from 2am-4am on a regular basis, Jay has the earliest wake-up times but I wonder if anyone herein is able to sleep until past 7am on a regular basis?

Joe - wear those ankle socks as long as you can. We used to see how long into the fall as winter approached we could go hatless and coatless, wearing several sweaters and summer jackets on the walk to grade school to pretend it wasn’t happening as long as possible. Smile

After yesterday’s 26-mile longest, almost three hour, ride in 14 years since 2005, resting up today with a couple of meetings and but some partial leafing along the fence line on the neighbor’s side of the house I’ve been missing because nobody can see them, anyway, and, besides, they’re not mine. Shoulders very sore enough that, if there were any winter triathlons down here, I’d probably get another of the anti-arthritis cortisone shots that helped so much for this summer’s tri’s. Got up to 150 miles in this month’s Ride-in-the-Rain Challenge (but only one day with any noticeable rain at all, . . . so far)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)