Masters Running

OK, if you insist, I'll start the daily............7-28-16 (Read 27 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Since it's now well after noon on the east coast, and the left coasters should be up, too, I guess I'll start up.  It's probably not a good thing that I've started two this week, particularly if you're looking for a decent recap.  Jay--hurry back.

5 miles this morning, again sans shirt in 70+°.  Soggy shorts led me to realize that I really, REALLY need to wear dark ones when running without ancillary sweat absorption. 

Have fun with the GKs, Jeanne.  Excellent 21.5 hours, Leslie.  And nice trekking, TW.  Everyone else, you're fabulous, too, but I really need to pull myself away and actually do some work.

Hope to see a few more later today.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Leslie, that is truly impressive!

4 miles at my Bridle Trails.  Seemed too warm to do another loop.  Tomorrow I will try 6 on the big mountain, earlier while it's cooler out.  I have a trail race next week I do not feel very prepared for, and I might be going on a big hike two days before it.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

5 miles this morning, again sans shirt in 70+°.  Soggy shorts led me to realize that I really, REALLY need to wear dark ones when running without ancillary sweat absorption. 

This is what we get when Stumpy starts the daily...please hurry back, Jay!  I'm feeling ill.

evanflein

Well I sure as heck wasn't going to start it!

Find the right shorts, Stumpy. We can't have that...

Enke, running races unprepared is getting to be a normal state of affairs for me.  And yeah, always good to do something strenuous the day or so before. Like going on a big hike. Or weeding the garden for 3 hours....

5.3 miles today, tried to get out before the rain and instead seemed to run right into it. Very glad I have a hair dryer in my bag... After taking yesterday off and actually getting to bed at a decent time (for me), I felt much better today. Legs still sore but at least they don't hurt so much.

My DS2 turns 22 today. Well, actually I guess it hit yesterday since he's in Thailand. In a couple months, he'll be back here, looking to get on with the next phase of his life (post-Marines). I hope we all survive it...

wildchild

Carolyn

Slow day here!

Erika, happy bday to your DS.  Hope he's enjoying Thailand - we liked it a lot!

I went for a short trail run today, only 3.9 miles, because I'm planning a long run tomorrow up to the divide somewhere.

My daughter and her fiancee are coming Saturday for a 10 day visit, and I can do short runs while they're here, but not sure about long runs.  I haven't seen her since Christmas, so I'm really looking forward to her visit!  Running can take a backseat for a while.

It's kind of nice to not have any races coming up soon, so training is just whatever I feel like day to day.  I would like to stay in good enough shape to be able to join a 20-25 mile trail run at a moments notice, though.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Erika, happy bday to your DS.  Hope he's enjoying Thailand - we liked it a lot!

Well, I don't think he's enjoying it much. He's there on duty and working long hours, in full uniform. He can't wait to get back to Alaska and cool off (his words).

Hey Carolyn, we aren't coming to CO after all next month. Disappointing, but DH isn't ready to take the exam he wanted to take, and that was the main reason for attending the conference. I was looking forward to tagging along on one of your trail runs! (I'd be dragging along though cuz I'm used to running with O2!)

I managed to run 8 miles today. Not too bad out this morning. Good thing I got my tail out when I did. The humidity has been rolling in all day. Tonight we have flood warnings in town. I live on the side of a hill so it will not do much to my house. (If it does the whole town is gone!) I was happy to find out that the entire Rosie Ruiz Relay team has checked in with Ragnar. One less thing to remind people to do.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!  Another day in Mexico for us.  Yesterday was a boating excursion to an island (Isla Contoy) that is a nature preserve and part of the barrier reef, where we snorkeled for about 40 minutes along the reef, then ate a wonderful lunch of fresh grilled fish and chicken, salad, fresh guacamole and pico de gallo with chips - awesome meal! About 90 minutes of relaxing in the pristine waters, where schools of tiny fish darted around us in the thigh-deep water, then boated to Isla Mujeres again for an hour of shopping before heading back to the condo.

Today we took the bus, which runs about every 5 minutes and costs about 70 cents/person, down to the El Rey ruins, a hidden treasure, then walked along a lovely public beach (Playa Delphines) to a Mayan Museum (by then the air conditioning was a welcome treat).  Then lunch at restaurant, nap, then some time in the surf, then the pool.  I could really get used to this....

DD, being her teenaged belligerent, sassy, eye-rolling, back-talking, ungrateful brat self, has been a bit of a trial at times.  However, during yesterday's 40 minute snorkeling adventure, DD gently took my hand under water and held it the whole time.  Gives me hope that my girl is still there somewhere under all that teenaged angst...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Extending running streak to twice as many days in a row as my former PR of seven in 1985, I hadn’t run in the old Russian capital since the Julie Hughes Memorial Triathlon in 1988 so took advantage of a four hour layover to run the mile from the airport downtown to the National Historical Park and salmon swarming into Indian River just the same as 200 years ago when it was New Arkhangelsk.

Got to GS-land just in time for fresh salmon they caught after work yesterday and then got to go watch some beaver at a local pond but no versions without the "ve" part at the end so will go down to the observation deck and look for some of them tomorrow morning. . 
                    You are fantastic leslie: still okay for more after 72 miles but having enough self-discipline to save it for another day to look forward to.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Stumpy, since when is running a fashion show?? Go with what works for you. I suggest a Batman shirt.

Enke, running races unprepared is getting to be a normal state of affairs for me. 

I ask myself, "What's the smart thing to do?"...Then I do something different.

Last Friday, a salesperson my age went home "sick". At one point he was married to a cherished cousin of mine and I was concerned. We had worked together nearly two months and I was beginning to wonder what was wrong with my cousin for leaving the fella.

It turns out he had actually quit and forgot to tell the rest of us. Apparently, he's not much on stress and thought being a commissioned salesperson was the best job to avoid that. He moved into his MIL's basement and it taking up taxidermy. WTF? MIL's  basement....taxidermy.....MIL's  basement....taxidermy? Now I'm starting to wonder if we'll see his story on an episode of "Criminal Minds".

Next week, the two people who out rank me and I are supposed to sit down with the guy who was hired to assist me. His first or second week, he was working in the warehouse and saw a spider. Now he doesn't want to go back in there. The only thing I'm going to promise the man is that he will see a lot more spiders. I'm certainly not going into work early to squish bugs for a 38 year old.

I put a sign outside my office, "No lunatics beyond this point".

Blood drive after work.

SteveP

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I put a sign outside my office, "No lunatics beyond this point".

Blood drive after work.

How do you get in then?  Or is there an important distinction between plain crazy and lunatic?  I will say that your company seems to attract some interesting folks.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.