Masters Running

Wed. 9/16 Hump Day Runs and Rests (Read 429 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Morning Gang!

My hat is off to Perchcreek running with two dogs for his warm up in the morning!    I'm not totally sure what possessed me to take two dogs with me this morning, but it sure was an additional upper body workout!    B'Nellie joined the group and her leash is shorter than Brinkley's .... problem number one.   All in all it wasn't too bad once we got into a groove, but I only attempted 2 miles with the gang.   My garmin battery was dead, so I'm estimating the miles at 10:15.

At tone zone last night we had to move all the weights, ball and bands upstairs .... that was our warm up before class even started.   Then lots of upper body.   I was feeling the burn.

Happy Hump Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good morning Mary and all RAer's to follow. Nice run with the "kids" this morning Mary. It sure is dark out now, isn't it? I've been admiring your glass work. Been busy myself - I'm doing  a festival on Saturday the 26th. I paint wine, martini and margarita glasses. My sister and I are sharing a booth. It's my first attempt at this - should be interesting.

I'm slowly getting back to normal after something the docs still are not sure of. Lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks and also a lot of energy. I attempted a 10 miler last Sunday that was brutal at best. Anyhoo, 6 miles this morning at a 9:52 pace. It was real "breezy" and only 52° at 4:30. I went out in shorts and a t-shirt and right away was reminded of what will be coming in a few months.

Eliz - hope your mom is doing okay with her broken ribs. Tell her the Eagles need her!

To all those enjoying taper madness this week, good luck!

Have a great day everyone.

I, too, have been admiring the glass work -- I want a kiln!

8.2 miles, 1:07:50, 8:17/mi, AHR 160 (82% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Renee the dog

Mary -- yeah, two dogs is definitely double the trouble!

4ish miles for me with 3 x 1K intervals at 5K pace...more or less.

Gotta go clean up -- heading up and back to visit my Mom before my late afternoon massage...sometimes I am the worst scheduler!

Have a great one all! 

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

JLynn - please post a picture of your painted glasses!!   Let me know how the art show goes, I am a bit nervous about doing that too.   Like you, my sister-in-law is going to share the booth with me, so at least I'll have company.      Are you feeling better and do you still have some doctor appointments to determine what it was/is??

WRFB - I was thinking of your beer making yesterday.   If you have beer labels or a special bottle or two that you'd like me to do something with, send me a message and lets figure something out.  

Have a safe trip Nono.

~Mary

~unknown

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Mary - was your run a double dog dare?

Just a spin for me this morning - woke up late.  I guess that's what working 17 hours on Tuesday does to you.

No run since Sunday - which was the last 20+ miler before the New Hampshire marathon.

I'm getting excited about it...

Maybe I can squeeze a run in this evening while PBJ Jr. has soccer practice.

I ran a tough 15 miles this morning with 12 x 3.5 minutes at HMP (8:01), 1.5 minutes of jog recovery.

This one was harder than it should have been and I never really got the pace down to HMP until 3 or 4 repeats to go. The last one was at 7:54. The first few were more like MP than HMP.

I'm chalking this one up to the Sedona hills and hikes over the weekend, traveling yesterday, 3 time changes, and not enough sleep last night.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I'm chalking this one up to the Sedona hills and hikes over the weekend, traveling yesterday, 3 time changes, and not enough sleep last night.

Excuses, excuses ........

~Mary

~unknown

WRFB - I was thinking of your beer making yesterday.   If you have beer labels or a special bottle or two that you'd like me to do something with, send me a message and lets figure something out.  

Thanks.  I normally keg my beer, but I don't think your kiln is that big Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Slo

Jylnne, Hope your feeling better and everything is alright.

I hit the pool this morning. It's my intentions to get back to 3 days a week of swimming. I did a 250 yd time trial and was encouraged with my time....given the lack of swimming in the last 40 days. And there may have been a little of that hormonal effect of needing to show off for the ladies in the lane next to me.  

By the way........I went home last night and couldn't find my Louis Prima CD......So I popped Walt Disney's "The Jungle Book" into the VCR for a little King Louie.....

Oh bee doo hoo hoo

I wanna be Like you hoo hoo

I wanna walk like you

Talk like you........

Good Running for all.

wildchild

Carolyn

Mary, running with two dogs isn't bad if they're used to it, but I think it might take a couple of times before they know what to expect.  Try clipping their leashes to a belt and having them run at your sides, which is better than holding leashes in your hands and letting them pull you.  Like so:

One time DH took them for a walk and put them on the wrong sides, and he couldn't figure out why they got all tangled and confused. 

Jeanne, I'd like to see a picture of your glass painting, too!  I' m envious of you guys with artistic talent.

Eliz, hope your mom is doing better today and she'll be back to playing football soon.  Reminds me of the time my grandmother tripped on her front walk and broke her jaw. She told the ER guys she had been skydiving.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Re colonoscopy – my doctor told me that by the time I’m due to have one, I will be able to just swallow a capsule that has a camera that goes through your system taking pictures.  I guess you retrieve it at the end and turn it in.  No fun drugs.  I wonder if you could sit in the dark and see a little flash going off under your skin......

Busy, busy at work today, trying to get enough work done so I can finish my homework for tonight’s class over lunch.  My little soccer team lost again last night, 3-0.  I talked another mom into coaching Saturday’s game, since I’ll be running the AF HM, and gave her a prepared roster, complete with quarter and position assignments, and a little discussion on some of the rules.  I must admit I’m almost relieved to miss that game, since they’re playing the toughest team in the league.  It won’t be pretty. 

Erika - I'm not very good at taper, either.  And don't listen to Tet - you will do great!

6.1 slow and easy miles (ave 10:42) for me today in 63°. 

I trotted over to the middle school track and found the gate open!  Bad news, though.  I was misinformed as to the nature of the construction they were doing.  Instead of building a new track, they have instead made a paved, unmeasured, walking path around the football field.    A workman there told me that “4 times around is about a mile.”  Drat!  If I want that kind of accuracy, I can use my Garmin.  So that track is utterly useless for my purposes.  Double drat!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

.  I wonder if you could sit in the dark and see a little flash going off under your skin......

Big grin     too bad about the track!!

Mary I used to have the same problems when I would walk with mine.  I had a leash that split, it got pretty interesting whenever there was the slightest distraction.

PBJ, 17 hours?  why?

Byll, what Mary said.  ;-]    welcome back.  And,  way to tough it out!

Slo_hand did they swoon?   if you increase your swimming does it still count as taper?      I also haven't heard Louis Prima.  will look for some later to hear. 

Carolyn I think you'll smoke your race.   can't wait to hear how it goes.   Funny about your grandmother!

hugs to your mom Eliz.

Things went pretty well this morning but I was glad it's a cut back week.   Started out & just did not have whatever it is we're supposed to have.  the plan was for a mile w/u, 2K @ 1/2 MP, 1 Mile 10K pace, 1K 5K pace, 800 meters at 3000 meter pace & 1 mile c/d.  2 min. recoveries.   I know I know I'm not supposed to be working on speed AND that it's a relative thing anyway but I have to try at least a little.   I don't have real paces but these were mostly better than I'd expected.  Even with my properly calibrated shoes.  over all 6.19 miles at 9:38 pace, max 7:50. ahr 162, max 178.  w/u was @ 10:38, 1.24 miles @ 9:30, 1.02 @ 9:05, .69 @ 8:50, & .53 @ 8:52 (was all done for that one)(sad but true!)  last mile at 9:42.  Knee is a little iffy, so I'll go ice it again.  Holly, am remembering your words about injuyr free.  I'm honestly doing what the doctor says!    this is still so slow, but it's improvement. 

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Breger.. isn't it wierd how the later repeats hit the pace target vs the earlier ones?  I think it just takes that much time to convince your legs that you really do want to run faster.  Nice workout!

Hopeful.. we could have run 4 dogs today:  2 miles with Tory and Sadie at 10:08 pace.

The tricky part of running 2 dogs is the initial 1/4 mile when they are all excited and lung at everything, like cars going by 2 feet away, so I have to hold them close until they settle and we're in very low traffic areas. Then they have some leash slack.  Sadie the newbie runner, sometimes just puts on full brakes all of a sudden to  pee.  Tory is much more experienced and keeps a steady pace.  Running with the two is about a minute per mile slower than running with just Tory (unless they see deer in a yard, then it's "hang on!"), but it slows me down for the warm-up and they get really calmed down for the day (win-win).  If I tied them to my waist, I'd be on the DL first time they spot deer Smile

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

The tricky part of running 2 dogs is the initial 1/4 mile when they are all excited and lung at everything,

If I tied them to my waist, I'd be on the DL first time they spot deer Smile

Exactly!   I had to take a walk break about 1/4 mile into it just to regroup!!     I also was thinking ..... "if they see something like Mr. Black Cat, I am toast!:

Sorry about the track Holly!   Funny about sitting in the dark with a camera inside of you.    DH just got a one year repreive from having his first colonoscopy too.   What a whimp!

Good job dg.

~Mary

~unknown