Masters Running

Tuesday June 23 daily (Read 436 times)

Renee the dog

Morning everyone!

Out for 2 mi with Renee heading south, then dropped her off and headed up to the boardwalk and back for another 4.5 mi.  Ahhhh, summer on the boards.

The (potential) Marble Champions were practicing quietly on the sand next to the boards.  Lots of folks out running, biking, skating, or being dragged along by excitable children.

And, the occasional disgruntled person.  Today, it was a late teen boy/man, who invited me to “Suck my d***” as I passed.  It was in a really dead zone of the boards, and I’m not sure if he realized there were 3 elderly ladies right behind him.  Their faces showed their horror, and I said to the ladies, “He’s probably not having success with that approach” and kept moving.  Next thing I heard was a commotion behind me.  Those 3 ladies were giving Mr. Disgruntled a piece of their minds.  Now that, imho, is Girl Power.  Not this silly stuff that gets marketed around today as such. 

What a great morning!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Nono way to resist those manly charms. I swear I don't know where women find the willpower to resist such manly men.

For a few months at least, I'm going to be shifting my training to a more traditional (more mileage and slower paces) training regimen.  Spareribs suggested I check out the Tinman training and I've decided to try it out for a month or two.

I got rained out this morning so we'll go out tomorrow morning instead.

The worst part of this may be that I don't think I'll be able to run much with the group I've been running with.  They go too fast for this plan.

Bill

PS:  the high yesterday reached 100° at Ft. Lauderdale airport.  The highest temperature in 60+ years.

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Morning gang!

I had my physical yesterday and found out I am anemic.   No big surprise, but at least I now know why I'm so tired all the time and have no ambition!     This morning I got up and out for 4 warm and humid miles with Brinkley.   Of all things, he grabbed a dead squirrel up from the side of the road!!!      I may have woke up a few people when I yelled at him to drop it.   Gross!!!   9:58 avg. pace - too high of a HR.

We took B'Nellie camping with us last weekend.   She decided she wanted to be a lap dog as we sat around the fire:

Happy 2s-Day!!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nono that's a nono

Mary.. awwww

Byll, maybe run with the group sometimes or use that as a harder workout and others easier? It's hard to figure what plan is best.  Tramps sure used a "run faster and longer" plan and it worked for him...but not in the summer weather.

I had a good workout today. My legs felt SO good! Just wish the cardio was there. 67F, 76%.
            8.0 miles in 1:06:29 (8:18 pace). Including 5 miles at 7:48. Fastest mile was 7:14. Ran last 5 mi shirtless which is the way to go...freedom!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Slo

Great Photo Mary ! So do they put you on Iron supplements for that?

Interesting morning Nono.....The boardwalk sounds like fun though.

Very opressive here. Last night I made it a whole 2.25 miles before stopping for a walk break. This morning I was dumb enough to attempt 800m intervals.....I won't bother posting my interval times.

I'm doing a 5k on Sat morning that I had been targeting to set a PR on.....I am now re-thinking this.

This is my Friday !  I'm taking the rest of the week off to start on my block patio......of all weeks or course. It's gonna be miserably hot. I guess that'll make the Vodka Lemonades taste that much better when it's done !

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Nono -

Mary – great picture!  

Rochrunner – while it’s true that we early morning runners get the coolest part of the summer day, the same is also true of winter days, when we’re out there in the most bitter cold of the day, so I consider summer a payback.

My family and I have always enjoyed the fabulous library system we have in our county, with me and the kids going at least once a week since they were born, but Ohio’s governor is about to sign a law enacting devastating cutbacks.  A shame, and at a time when they are experiencing record-setting use, what with job-hunters and families on a tighter budget using them more than ever. 

5.35 easy-paced miles (ave 9:44) for me today in 64°, including 10 x 100m striders.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nono--you're a lot quicker than i am.  I'm usualy a 1/4 mile down the road before the proper retort pops into mind.    Of course, having a trio of crotchety old ladies as a backup is a good thing. 

Mary--that looks like some real wilderness "camping" 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

. Ran last 5 mi shirtless which is the way to go...freedom!

Pictures of this is needed here.

Holly, devastating cuts are happening everywhere here also. I just got news yesterday that we, in WA State, are sor-of-like facing a ...500 million general fund cash deficit for the 2009-11 biennium.

nono...no no no

SLO, pass the drink, please

Welcome back SRLopez...I hope your trip to Hawaii was great. Did you run and drink to your heart's content?

Up at 5 to run a light track w/o,but the friendly beeper decided to summoned me to the OB room....so...no running until a new person is welcome to the world...or my shift ends.

Hurray to Mrs. twocat for running 8 miles.  Butterfly hugs to Mr. twocat for yet another week of no running.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Great Photo Mary ! So do they put you on Iron supplements for that?

Yes, I am on iron supplements - one per day right now but I have to work myself up to two per day.   Ugh!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

stumpy, good job on your longest run since starting back up.  Franc, congrats on your 100K trail race.  I just can't comprehend that.   fatozzig, way to go on your first 40+ mile week.  evan, nice 10K.  Twocat, you've really had a long ordeal.  I hope it doesn't last much longer.  hopeful, that's a nice picture of you and B'Nellie camping in God's country. 

Nice long runs for CNY, perch, holly, and wildchild.  Good job on the speedwork for craneium and holly.

This morning, it was about 60° when I went out and about 70° when I finished.  It was calm and the humidity was 97% according to my computer.  (I didn't need a jacket or gloves.)   It took me about 1:15:30 for a 9:27 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

TammyinGP

Nice run Tom!

Holly, we certainly have our share of cutbacks here also. We've already experienced a year and a half of NO library services whatsoever. And the only reason they are even open now is because they are privately funded. So, we get about 4 hrs a day, 5 days a week. better than nothing.

I ran 3.4 miles last night with my dogs and I think that will be about the last time I can take them running. A few hrs after the run, they were both so achy they could barely get up from lying on the lawn.  They both take doggy glucosamine and something else, can't remember, and usually that helps them feel pretty good, but I still think they are near the end of their running days. They are only 8 yrs old, but this summer in particular, it seems their age is catching up with them quickly. I think we'll have to stick to 2 mile walks a few times a week now instead.

Starting to think of the things I need to run out and get and things to start packing for Seattle.  Leaving in about 48 hrs! whoohoo!!

Tammy

Nono - I had to read your post twice just because I found it so funny.  Well, not the part about you-know-what, but your retort and description of the elder women.  Girl Power Rocks!  I'm like Stumpy, though. I think of catchy retorts later.  At the time being, my usual thought is "$%*& you."  Probably not the best response.

Mary - Great pic.  Hope the iron supplements work, and hope you able to find some "burpless" ones.

California is in a sad state of financial ruin as well.  One plan that truly is bad is to close about 280 state parks, which would include almost every state park in my neck of the woods.  These parks bring a significant amount of revenue to our area, not to mention when things get tight financially, families are more likely to go visit their state parks.  If they close the parks up here, I'm not sure how Humboldt County is going to survive.

5 miles w/10 steep hill repeats in about 51:??.  I've changed to do going my hill repeats on The Hill by my house, which is sort of in two sections.  My goal is to be able to run up that thing without stopping.  However, that wasn't to be today.  My legs were still a bit tired after this past weekend, but, strangely enough, the last 5 repeats and the last 1.5 miles were easier than the first.  Go figure.

Listenin' to some classic Patsy Cline - very relaxing!

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy, Masters!

Nono, those 3 old ladies do have girl power!   Like Kevin and Leslie, I'm also challenged in the snappy comeback department.  One time a guy sitting on a bench by a woodsy trail asked me, "Out for a jog?" as I ran by.  In hindsight, I should have said, "No, I"m being chased by a bear. Sure glad you're here!"  and sprinted past him.

Breegster, too bad you can't keep running with the fast, hot wimmin this summer!  I would think they'd slow down in the heat, too, though.   100 degrees - yuck!

Cute picture, Mary.  Ladybug thinks she's a lap dog, too.

SloHand, can you do your block patio at night, and sleep during the day? Pretend you're on the same schedule as deez.

Holly, sorry to hear they're cutting back library services there - will they just cut hours, or close entirely?  I'd hate it if our library closed.  Reduced hours would be OK for me as long as they included Saturdays - that's the only day I go.  Our rec center cut hours last year, and they are closed all day Friday. What a stupid day to close!  Why not Monday or Tuesday?  Especially since our local public school is on a 4-day schedule, and all the kids are off from school on Fridays.

Leslie, what would it mean if the state parks closed?  Just the visitor center, or the whole park?  Our local state park has a self-service pay station (if you don't have an annual pass, you need a daily pass) and you just park at the trailhead and go.  I suppose if they didn't have any staff, they couldn't check to see if cars at the trailheads had passes or not.  But they couldn't really keep folks off the trails.

No run for me yesterday, as it's too hot at lunch, and DD and DH are both back home now, and yesterday was the first evening we all had together in 10 days.  Plus, I got a blister on one of my toes after my long trail run Sunday, and I wanted to give it a day to recover before I stuff it back in a shoe. I hope to run after work tonight on the way home.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Slo

SloHand, can you do your block patio at night, and sleep during the day? Pretend you're on the same schedule as deez.

That's a big part of the plan. I'll do much of it later in the evening........Laying the block anyway. I'll need to cut the sod and do the power tamping during the light hours so as not to piss of the neighbors. Ouside of the power equipment it'll just be me swearing.