Masters Running

The Saturday Daily, 2.23.13 (Read 44 times)

Hey friends!!

Happy Birthday C-R and leslie!!

Happy racing to all -- especially Ribs on his ultra without his contacts!!  Lots of races cancelled or delayed here because of the impending "storm" which of course has reduced numbers suddenly - hard to believe they even had the blizzard forecast right 2 weeks ago!!  Oh well - better running and planning ahead!!

I ran 12.4 today with friends in my running group -- started the first 4 off with a couple friends to get an early start - then looped around to join others at a quicker pace .... love running negative splits with my last mile my fastest!!

Soooooooooo - I AM RUNNING BOSTON!!!     Just found out I can get a number thru the Matty Eappen Foundation!!  I know I am behind on training and fundraising but I will increase my miles safely and fundraise strongly!! (grammar?)    I am very excited - have been saying for months I wish I applied for an invitational number thru my running group this year but didnt and then this opportunity presented itself.   I worked with Sunny Eappen (Matty's father) for years -  he is a well respected anesthesiologist...... more details to follow!!

Happy Saturday night!!

denise

Congratulations deez///////

HAPPY B'DAY CR AND fatozzig///////.........Good Running to Ya.....

photo

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Great running, wild!  When I trained for my 100k a few years ago, rather than running a bunch of miles in one day, I ran back to back 20 milers on Saturday and Sunday.  Just a thought as you continue your training.

Tom, I wish I lived in a town like that.  Great story.

Dave, your story reminds me of when I was in the Air Force--a guy in our group bought a new Ford Mustang II--the Cobra.  He was so proud of that car.  Anyway, I had a key from my old Ford Pinto that just happened to fit his car.  So a group of us would figure out who was getting back to the shop 1st and, before he got back, we would move his car.  At first, we just moved it a couple spots from where he had parked it--we all watched and laughed as he would stand there and think about it, but he must have kept figuring he was mistaken.  But when somebody moved it to the other side of the parking lot, one night, he realized we were messing with his car and flipped out.  We messed with that poor guy all the time...I kind of feel bad, now...but it sure was funny at the time.

So I did 10.2 miles, today, in 1:19:00.  The first--and the best--6 miles were with Ryan.  Have I ever told you guys how much I love running with Ryan?  Well, I do.  Anyway, he's still not back to running regularly so he just wanted to do 6 and I took what I could get.  We just talked the whole  way and had a great time.  Have I ever told you guys how much I love talking to Ryan?  Well, I do.

Okay--I guess that's all I had.  I have a 24 miler scheduled for tomorrow...not really sure how much I'm looking forward to that, to be perfectly honest with you.  We'll see how it goes.  I want to run for 3 hours...we'll see where I'm at then.

arf

MM #405

Lots going on here!

OM - im in exactly the same boat as you....though my boat is much slower, 16 miles of trudging with major loss of mojo over the final 2 miles.

C -R and Leslie - Happy Birthday and best wishes!   Good luck racing tomorrow C-R and also  Ultra RIBS!

Twocat - nice job on the LR,

Wild - most excellent 25 miler!  wowza, you Rock!

Denise - Boston!  Wooooooooot!!  That's so exciting, congrats!

Mike - Hilarious moving that poor guys car!   You are such a brat!   Good luck on the 24 tomorrow.

Tom S - Excellent story!  The old farmers don't get rattled over anything!  Our town is not that small but i never lock our cars or the house.

good night all

arf

Great car stories.

Happy Birthday, C-R.

Good luck tomorrow, Ribs!

I had a great birthday today.  24 mile run out in Trinidad, followed by a great dinner of smoked tri-tip courtesy of The Hub at our friends, Scott and Rene.  Shorty did a bunch of yard work for them while I was running, Rene's mom and Scott's grandma and sister came over, then we all sat around, ate, and chatted, and it was really, REALLY nice.  Couldn't have asked for a better way to spend a birthday.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

That's a great story tselbs!

Happy Birthday CR and Fattozig!

25 miles Wild!?!! Great job!

My long run today was supposed to be 14-15. Around mile 10 or so I could feel a blister starting, tried wiggling my toes a bit to move them to a different spot, but it wasn't helping. had to walk a few times to alleviate some of the pain. finally, I couldn't take it anymore and took a shorter route back to my car and ended at 12.3 miles in 1:56:57. Not a very great long run, so I'll have to look at the upcoming long runs and see about switching things a bit. When I write up my training plans, I usually allow for some cushion room in case I'm not well on a particular wknd, or life happens and disrupts the plan.

tomorrow is a short, hilly trail run with a local group in the morning. Bailey gets to come with me tomorrow also. She'll be so excited. Bella will not be very happy with me.

Tammy

Bushrat Runner

Made it out for my weekly run, or perhaps I weakly made it out for my run. When I got up it was blowing 30 and snowing, my mouth felt like somebody had swabbed it out in the middle of the night with antiseptic, and I clearly was going to wuss out. But after a cup of coffee, I was only feeling mostly wussy, so I called Mo to let her know that with the horrible weather I was sure she wasn't going to want to fit a run in before she left town this evening for a couple weeks.

She started by telling me how stressed she was about packing and how hard it was blowing and snowing at her house, so all was going according to plan. But then she decided she might want a mid-day break and a run would be perfect. I could hardly say no, so all of a sudden my no-run day was turning into a run day.

On the way down to her house, the snow and the sky were the same color, absolutely flat lighting. It was fairly difficult to see, but at least it had stopped snowing. It remained pretty grey, but started to improve remarkably as we ran back after turning around. Despite the unwilling start, I felt great during the run. Next weekend I have to be self-motivated. We'll see if that works.

Snapped this photo as the sun was trying to put in an appearance. Choco couldn't figure out why I was stopping.

SteveP

DW and I got the dogs out for a couple of snow covered miles.

Later in the day we stopped for lunch and the hostess said, "Myioshi will be right with you". DW said that when DD#3 was born, shared a room in maternity with a woman who named her daughter Myioshi. When our server came to the table, she looked to be about 24. DW said, "Your birthday is November 7th 1988." The young woman was very surprised. Then DW said, "Your mother's name is 'Rose'.". Poor Myioshi asked DW if she was a psychic. Needless to say, she was relieved to find out the story. I did apologise for DW. She before spilling the beans and while the lady was still freaked out, DW should have said, "Don't ask any questions, but you're in terrible danger".

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

TomS, Dave and Mike – I love your car stories.

TomWhite -Big grin

Deez – congratulations on getting to Boston!

Carolyn and Leslie – awesome runs!

Tammy – once a blister sets in, the run is pretty much doomed.

Rhoon – Brrrr!

Steve -Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

troy - used to love that leaden glare up there

but never imagined running in it.

Don't fall off the edge.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)