Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 11.10.17 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Happy Veteran's Day, and THANK YOU for your service to all past and current members of our various military branches.

I have a very busy day today with last-minute Seacoast Half Marathon details, and weekend house guests arriving this afternoon. So this'll be just a quick walk-by.

We had a great time watching and listening to Dan Brown last evening as he spoke and answered questions about a wide range of topics and issues. We also got a bonus - signed, first-edition copies of his new book, Origin. Looking forward to digging into that whenever I have time (yeah, right...)

6.6 RW miles at 4:15 in 43° temps that were starting to fall, and will continue to do so all day. I also had about 15 minutes worth of drizzle, and lots of swirling winds (that will be getting stronger throughout the day). Still, it was a good workout.

Best of luck to all of this weekend's racers:

11/11 Catwhoorg - Chickamauga Half Marathon (Fall back race in case of any issues)

11/11 Mike E - Richmond Marathon, Richmond, VA

11/11 RunnerKSA -  Hills 'n Hollers Half Marathon, TN

11/11 TammyinGP - Pioneer Run 9 mile, Phoenix, OR

11/11 Falconfixer  - Richmond Marathon  -  Richmond, VA

11/11 Quickadder - Cajun Cup 10K, Lafayette, LA

11/11  RunnerKSA -  Hills n Hollers Half Marathon, Burwood, TN

11/12 Opie - Revel Mt. Lemmon Half Marathon, Tucson, AZ

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Best wishes on a successful race, Jay.  Looks like it may be a bit brisk, but no precipitation at least.

Enjoy Richmond Mike and Falcon.  And good and satisfying racing result wishes to everyone else.

Heading back up to Maine to try to do some clean up and closing up.  For some reason the tree services seem a bit busy.  One that we've used before told me they could do an estimate in Dec., but the work wouldn't likely get done until March.   Telephone and cable lines that cross our property on poles that got snapped are still laying on the ground.  Our phone and cable still work, even though both are hanging off the cabin a bit more than they should.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

Hey Jay, I'm surprised you have time to check in here, but thanks for starting things off and for the recap. Hope your race goes off smoothly.

After 4 days of rest I was back out for a 3 mile run this morning.  It felt good to move the legs again.

Tramps

A brisk 3-miler with a special guest who is now ready for Richmond!

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

A brisk 3-miler with a special guest who is now ready for Richmond!

Has he gotten over his flight?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

He smelled of wine when he got off, so I think some drinking may have been involved.

Be safe. Be kind.

Hope I don’t have to run my race twice since it’s on there twice!  ðŸ˜€

Better run this morning in Boca.did a little on the beach because....the beach, but it was too slanted and I got my shoes wet. 3 miles. Fly home to 40 degrees tonight.  Missing Vandy’s basketball season opener tonight, unfortunately.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Singer who runs a smidge

Happy Veteran's Day, and THANK YOU for your service to all past and current members of our various military branches.

+1 to this!!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - when you post here and it says you posed at 3:11 am, is that MY time, or Yours?

Lots of racing this weekend - GOOD LUCK everyone!

No run for me today, swimming instead - 52 times across the pool (1300 yards).

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

. . .52 times across the pool (1300 yards).

That sounds like a version of water hell.  

Thank you, Veterans!!!

Jay - Thanks for getting us started, and good luck with your race duties tomorrow!

And good luck to all our racers.  Hopefully, the Secret Guest isn't too hung over.

Tammy - I've always wished that when we purchased our fridge almost 20 years ago we had had the money to buy one with the freezer on the -bottom, but then they were around an extra $500 and we couldn't afford it.  I grew up with a freezer-on-the bottom fridge, which I always liked better.

Last week I was called in for jury duty and got dismissed right after the stupid movie.  What?!?  I was highly disappointed and felt the full blow of judicial rejection.  Then this week one of our attorneys is on a jury.  How does she rate?!?    I know - it sounds crazy wanting to be on a jury, but I've done it twice in the past and thoroughly enjoyed participating from that side.  It was very interesting.

I love to fly, too, but boy is it expensive.  To get out of our local airport, we're looking at an extra $400-$500 per ticket.  If you want to save there, then it's a 4-hr drive to Medford or a 6+ hr drive to Sacramento, San Francisco, or Oakland.

Last night after work it was about 2.5 miles in my 30 min., in the rain.  Sorry, 2Kitty - but I thoroughly enjoyed it!!

This morning - about 45 min of core/ST.

Did I tell you I signed up for a 50k?  April 21, Mendocino 50k.  Filled in up in 3 1/2 days!  Anyway, it'll be my first ultra since July of 2016.  Dang . . .

Any great plans for the weekend?  I have a transcription job to complete, then I'm a free bird for awhile . . . although I certainly wouldn't mind getting some more transcription.  The extra dinero always is a big help.

Okay - That's it.  Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thank you, Veterans!!!

Did I tell you I signed up for a 50k?  April 21, Mendocino 50k.  Filled in up in 3 1/2 days!  Anyway, it'll be my first ultra since July of 2016.  Dang . .

Yep, duly noted.

Good luck

Have fun.

First five mile walk in three weeks as high clouds and scattered sun breaks interrupted predicted four days of rain. Hope it doesn't overtrain me for the Seattle Marathon in two weeks.

ps Leslie - are you crazy?!!!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thank you to those that served and are serving now. My DW's niece is married to an air force pilot. Last year he was stationed in Korea. I suspect his family is relieved to have him stationed in Virginia now.

tetsujn209 crazy and a rule breaker fatozzig is. Worse! An unrepentant rule breaker!

coastwalker good luck with the Seacoast HM. I hope it goes off without a hitch.

evanflein snow? You got 4" already. I would be really, really depressed.

TammyinGP appliances last a looong time, you might want to consider ordering and waiting for what you want even if it means food camping for a couple of weeks. Anyway, that is what I would go with.

Falconfixer good luck in the race. Your goals sound like my standard goals. I rarely hit them, but you have to try to have any chance!

Surly Bill jury duty is a real drag. You have to learn how to answer the questions so that you get kicked off! I was asked about jury nullification. I said I favored it. (I do, but the reasons why are too long for an RA post.) A few questions later and I was on my way home!

Ran 7 today. This cold is subsiding, but still not gone. Part of my day included an exciting trip to a speech therapist. The appointment must have lasted a whole 15 minutes, max. Took longer to park and walk to the doctor's office. I ended up with a few tongue exercises. Now I just have to remember to do them during the day.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

metalmancpa

Best of luck to all of this weekend's racers:

11/11 Catwhoorg - Chickamauga Half Marathon (Fall back race in case of any issues)

11/11 Mike E - Richmond Marathon, Richmond, VA

11/11 RunnerKSA -  Hills 'n Hollers Half Marathon, TN

11/11 TammyinGP - Pioneer Run 9 mile, Phoenix, OR

11/11 Falconfixer  - Richmond Marathon  -  Richmond, VA

11/11 Quickadder - Cajun Cup 10K, Lafayette, LA

11/11  RunnerKSA -  Hills n Hollers Half Marathon, Burwood, TN

11/12 Opie - Revel Mt. Lemmon Half Marathon, Tucson, AZ

I hope all of you have FUN!! Smile, enjoy. I had some beautiful views during my marathon walking out of Woods Hole towards Falmouth  in miles 22-24.  It was an awesome experience as most of my races have been, and for me, it's because I try real hard not to tether myself to my time. That's hard for me as I'm competitive by nature, especially against myself. I really want to continue to see improvement and don't believe I've hit my ultimate peak just yet.

Speaking of fun, I was thinking about the Spartan Sprint I did last weekend. When I was getting to the starting line with my son, I looked at him and basically said I had fear in me. Running is the only thing I've done since I ruptured my Achilles Apr 2014. I was thinking about the obstacles, and pressure on the Achilles and fear of reinjury. I opted out of the box jumps as I was just too afraid to launch 20 times (I was jumping rope when it ruptured). I was timid carrying weight up and down stairs. I didn't really conquer my fear, but just stepped into the room. My son wants to compete in it again next year. Ugh, not sure I want to yet because I'll be a year older, and running is what I love and don't want to risk losing it. But it's a special memory with my son. Fear conquering. Ugh.

Head Procrastinator

Wow, haven't peeked in here and all of a sudden a mass influx of new names. Welcome!

Good luck for your raee tomorrow, Jay. I know it will go great though.

OK, bubye for now Smile

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                              spacityrunner

Hiya HallyBarb...peek more often.

Ohhh...Tramps had a special visitor..wonder who that could be 

3.1 mile run in the woods today.  The trail was treacherous with all the hidden stuff under the leaves but I remained upright.  Stunning fall day to be out in the woods.

Trails Rock!