Masters Running

Friday Leap Day Runs and Workouts (Read 611 times)

Some good runs already today, celebrating the last day of the year by the old Roman calendar Smile. I think everyone is feeling the effects of this worst-winter-in-many-years weather that we're experiencing. JJJ - I didn't know that they even had those state hospitals any more. Most that I ever knew of closed a long time ago. Good luck to your DW in any case. Did 40 minutes on the elliptical this morning. I thought about running, but wanted to keep my record (low) mark of one single mile for the month of February intact Roll eyes. But maybe March will be a fresh beginning.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

Hey, I don't mind leap day, but I have 3 digital watches and they all read 3/1 this morning! Tomorrow I will have to figure which button to hold down to get into set-up mode and fix all of them. Confused I haven't been around because I haven't been doing much running. I wasn't feeling very good, no appetite and getting light headed whenever I do very much. So I went to the doctor, he put me in the hospital for a couple days for tests, one stress test showed a possible issue, but a follow-up test on Monday showed it was nothing. I was at the doctor yesterday to wrap up all this nonsense and I got the "all clear" to do whatever I wanted when it comes to exercising. I think I just let the stress get to me and then I was having some anxiety over the light headedness which made it all worse. So I put a few races on my calendar to get me motivated starting with a 5k in about 7 weeks and I hope I am back in the game. The Crim 10-mile race is only 175 days away Roll eyes and I would like to lose some weight, get in shape, and run a PR this year. Snow is coming down pretty heavy right now although 4 inches in the most we're expecting. I hope to go for a run around lunch time if not sooner.

Marathon Maniac #957

Hi Dave (waving madly)! Nice to see you (in a virtual way) again... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

And then there's Holly's amazing X training routine....I don't think I would have the patience to do all that as consistently as you do...good job Smile
          Thanks, Tim, but there are others here who do as much or more than I do, and just don't post the details. I know CNYrunner is one - she does 3 strength-training workouts/week, on top of some serious mileage.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Ok I was getting ready to complain about running in 14 degree temps but then I saw all the other numbers up there (-1! Shocked) and figured I should just be quiet. So it was 5.21 miles under clear skies and summer like temperatures for me here in CT. Wink My plan is to celebrate leap year day by well driving to work now . . . Good runs all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hey, I don't mind leap day, but I have 3 digital watches and they all read 3/1 this morning!
              So do you wear them all on one wrist? Or maybe one on each wrist and an ankle? How does this work out? Wink We may be the last generation that wears watches at all. My DS could never see the sense in owning a watch since he always has a cell phone with him that always shows the correct time. Roll eyes

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

5 easy peasy miles this morning...8:02 pace...runnin' with Coach tomorrow TGIF
                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                Dave59

So do you wear them all on one wrist? Or maybe one on each wrist and an ankle? How does this work out? Wink We may be the last generation that wears watches at all. My DS could never see the sense in owning a watch since he always has a cell phone with him that always shows the correct time. Roll eyes
                  One is old and scratched up but I keep it around in a drawer and you never know when it may be needed so I have to keep it on the right date. Smile One is my favorite for everyday and for running. It has a 30 lap feature but isn't loaded with so many features that it is too confusing. That one has a bad band but a new one should be arriving from Campmor today! And I bought a new one last summer that has multiple countdown timers so I could do the run/walk stuff. But I hate the beeper going off every 5/1 minutes so I don't use it much. My daughters are both the same with the cell phone and watches. The only time I take my cell phone is if I am going on an extended trip, otherwise I like to just stay unreachable.

11.5 miles this morning-running for the first time to my satellite office...crossed three towns. Left at 10 degrees. Paged once so I had to stop and answer else uneventful run dodging ice and cars. Running home tonight will be more exciting... Have a good day all.

Marathon Maniac #3309

11.5 miles this morning-running for the first time to my satellite office...crossed three towns. Left at 10 degrees. Paged once so I had to stop and answer else uneventful run dodging ice and cars. Running home tonight will be more exciting... Have a good day all.
                      WOW, 23 mile day Shocked Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

SteveP

Good to see you Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was wondering about you on today's run. How's the family???? 5.28 miles today. Started out for 8. The snow fall wasn't bad. The snow accumulating was. Even with the spikes, it was hard to get a solid footing. A delivery vehicle went by and I could run in the tracks for about 1/2 a mile before the tracks were covered again. The best results was a heel strike. I don't want to make a habit of that, nor do I care to wear a habit. Hopefully I can get three miles in Sunday....In Florida....1/2 an hour from Chuck E Cheese.

SteveP

In my world you can never have too many watches, bicycles, or pairs of sneakers/running shoes. How else can you color coordinate with everything you are wear? I am always shocked when I see people who don't wear a watch. I cannot stand to not know what time it is, but enough about my OCD...
                          Mariposai

When I grow up I want to be a runner like dtoce (the female version, I guess Embarrassed) I also miss Dark Horse badly. Specially in days like today when I was thinking of Rainer M. Rilke and his marvelous poetry work. I know that Choovie was thinking aobut Rilke also. I thought of the following poem as I was gathering ingredients to bake a wedding cake for tomorrow. For the human being to love another: That is the most difficult of all our tasks The ultimate, the last test of proof The work for which all other work Is but preparation - Rainer M> Rilke No running yet, but I am planning to go out in the afternoon. Happy Friday, Happy Leap Day and most importantly Happy Runs to all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

I just looked at my digital watch and see that it also says 3/1 on it. Guess it's time to figure out how to reset this. I'm glad to hear DH is well and safe. Hopefully he'll return but if not, then I guess we just need to respect this decisions. btb: your post yesterday afternoon about your run and subsequent meeting was a hoot! I'm feeling better today and will get in a 4 mile run during the lunch hour. I have a visit with my chiro first to get me back into alignment. I have noticed the last 2 wks that my stride when running feels "clunky" - which is usually indicative that my pelvis is out of alignment causing one leg to be a bit longer than the other. So, I'll get adjusted, then go for my run. That should feel much better. I need to do a 15 mile run this weekend, so am trying to figure out if I join my running club tomorrow at 8 a.m. when there is a 70% chance of light rain, or do I wait til Sunday afternoon when it's going to be partly cloudy and low 50's, but then have to run solo? hmmmm, decisions, decisions. . ..

Tammy

Dave59

Good to see you Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was wondering about you on today's run. How's the family????
                                Thanks to all for the nice welcome backs. Family is doing good. My wife's job was terminated but she got a new position in the company right away. My daughter's baby is due on Easter morning and her doctor keeps thinking she sees something, but then the "high-risk" doctor checks and everything is ok. So other than having ultra sounds all over the tri-cities there is so far nothing to worry about. The key is not to get stressed at bad news because there is a good chance it will turn out to be nothing in the long run. And I did get in 4 miles in some heavy snow. Lot's of car tracks to run in and I had a good run.