Masters Running

Friday Leap Day Runs and Workouts (Read 611 times)

Does anyone else take daily Vitamin C tabs? If so, you might want to take a look at this abstract and reconsider: http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/87/1/142 My supplement junkie husband started me on 1 grams/day several months ago. I guess maybe I can blame him if my endurance isn't what it should be at this point ;-). Where's btb today?

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Ultrachick

It was -10 this morning on my way to work at 6:30. I'm waiting for it to warm up before I go out. I had heard a high of 20 today but that's not until midnight when the next snow storm comes in. I guess I'll have to suck it up with temps in the teens this afternoon. At least the sun will be out! Kelly
      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
      stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good afternoon/late morning to all. out for a nice, nippy run at 6am this morning. 2.2 miles in 8F. First and probably only single digit run of the winter. only went the short distance just so the shins wouldn't act up (which they didn't) so will try again a bit longer on Sunday. JJJ--your story reminds me of what my wife used to say back in the day. She started out as an engineering student and then switched to child studies. while she was working at the same engineering company that I was, the child studies was more useful than the engineering studies to deal with the engineers. Big grin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

JJJ, congrats to your wife! Maybe she'll be free do some consulting with my wild bunch at work? Tongue Happy leap year day everyone. Smile The other night, I got a message from the universe to taper, dang it. It was at the Honda corporate campus which has a nice dirt track that wraps around the buildings and has trees and bushes for shade. Honda is a sponsor for the L.A. Marathon, so I thought ok, it's a good place to run, good track, vibes, fellow runners, and all that. So I tried running a 4 miler which got cut short to a 3 miler because a SKUNK appeared from the bushes. I coulda stepped on it, it was that close Shocked. But I just turned around and went the other way, and lucky for me the skunk scurried away from me very quickly. Guess I scared it too. I warned some ladies who were apporaching me that there was a skunk out there, and they told me they saw ANOTHER one at the opposite part of the track. I just wrapped it up and went home at that point. This is Los Angeles, goodness sake, not some wilderness park! What the...?
          btb1490

TGIF, TGIAM (Thank Goodness It's Almost March) everyone! Teresa- good to see you post here again! You're being really smart with your running, and it shows. Can't wait to hear about your HM! Tramps- I hated history in school, so I'll pass on that one. If you overslept, it's probably because you needed it. Way to get your run in anyway! wildchild- even if I had mountains to navigate off of like you, I'd probably still get lost. Good thing the Garmin has that breadcrumb feature. Sounds very pretty where you are. enke- you're funny about having to make up the missing two miles! Congrats on the weekly PR! halllar- I agree, the race reports next week should be a lot of fun to read. Regarding a running plan, just getting out the door consistently as you are accounts for a huge part of getting better. The rest is just fine tuning. JJJ- you may have to start shaving your legs if you want truckers to start winking at you. charleygross- good to hear you are back running again! Too bad it had to be a treadmill run. Wink Good luck with your Burlington training. deez4boyz- I'm amazed that you can wake back up again after nodding off after work. Have you ever overslept your naps? Enjoy your long weekend! PJH- I hope your hope of it being the last cold day holds true. Wouldn't that be nice! Mariposai- busy weekend for you coming up. Have a great LR today if you get it in. Thanks for that awesome poem. Smile WRFB- there's a game show on TV called "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" where they get these supposedly smart adults and pit them up against 5th grade kids. One question was "How many days are in a leap year?" and the poly-sci college student didn't know what a leap year was. Those 3 mile runs are probably just as important as any other run, giving your legs some active recovery. Worth dirtying the clothes for. breger- amazing how we've come to rely on our garmins. Today was good practice for "going by feel". Nice run! CNY- no schoolbus embarassments today? Smile I looked at your schedule, does this mean you are going to do your tempo run Saturday followed by your long run on Sunday? Ouch! Safe travels this weekend to you. Holly- thanks very much for the DH update. At least we know he's still out there. How are your legs doing with the weight routine? I know a couple of weeks ago you didn't feel like they were rebounding very well. PeterNC- That's right, I forgot about that leap year marriage proposal thing! Sarge- I saw a car who's license plate was "SARGE" and thought of you. Best of luck with your race this weekend! Your services are very muchly appreciated. I hope you have something fun planned for yourself Sunday evening when it's all over, if you're still awake that is. Tim- how's the shoulder today? You didn't say anything about it. SteveP- what do your spidey senses say about Dark Horses whereabouts? Whooops, wrong superhero. Is that why you're heading to Florida, to look there? JJJ (again)- that is AWESOME about your wife! Congrats to her! What makes you think you need therapy? Wink Craneium- are you a morning run convert now? SueT- Here I am! damn those Yankees! rochrunner- thanks for that bit of history about the Roman calendar. Too funny about wanting to keep your record low mileage for the month intact. I hope March is a good month for you. Spring, a new beginning, right? Dave!- it's been a while! Heck of a February you've had. Sad I'm glad it turned out ok in the end. Having warmer weather and a goal will help a lot. Good luck and good health to you. Twocat-a nice easy run to recharge the battery for your race. What's the weather forecast? dtoce- what Tim said! WOW! Careful going home tonight. Tammy- glad to hear you are feeling better! Yay! I know exactly what you mean by that clunky stride, and deal with mine the same way you deal with yours. Have a good crack! ultrachick- I saw in the 40/40 thread that you are having a rough week, but you didn't detail things. What's going on? stumpy- that's great about having a pain free run! Did you ice you shins anyway? dromedary- I'm glad someone or something out there is keeping tabs on you, making sure you stay in check! Funny story! Dark Horse- sending good vibes your way. It was a run full of contrasts today. If you look at my schedule, it says 10 miles with 6 at marathon pace. Going by the numbers, that's exactly what I did, so I guess it was a success. It was the coldest run yet this year, with windchills dipping below zero. A nice crescent moon shone in the sky. The first mile or so was right into the wind and was painful, as the body went through the warm up process. Once past that, it felt fine, and the miles passed easily. I was treated to a rare and beautiful sight in the form of a sun pillar. I've seen a few before, but this by far was the most spectacular. They occur just before sunrise or after sunset, as the sunlight reflects off of thin ice particles suspended in the atmosphere. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera, so here's a stock photo from the internet. My route today was an out and back and turned around at the beach where I was greeted by the now rising sun over the frozen bay. I couldn't have asked for a better run so far. I was out conquering the elements, running strong, beautiful sights, feeling very pleased with my accomplishment. On the return trip, I glanced into the woods and noticed an encampment set up. I knew exactly what it was. During the summer, a homeless woman calls the beach that I ran to her home. I guess for the winter, she moved to the nearby woods. I've stopped and had some nice conversations with her a few times, and have brought her care packages. She violently refuses to accept them though, threatening to call the police on me (with what phone, I'm not sure!). I've begged her to come to the shelter that I help out at, but she always refuses any kind of help. Here she was in below zero windchills, in a makeshift tent of cloth covered with plastic bags, and everything she owns in a shopping cart next to her, also covered with plastic. Suddenly my feeling of accomplishment vanished and my mood changed. Yeah, I was cold, but I also would be greeted shortly by a warm house and a hot shower. Further along in the run, I passed by the local elementary school. Even though it was way too early for school to be in session, the place was swarming with police, and there was even a helicopter overhead. This is Mayberry RFD here, what the heck is going on? When I got home, I looked over that the now risen sun to see another ice crystal phenomenon called a sun halo, which like a sun pillar is caused by the refraction of the suns rays through the suspended ice crystals. I found little joy in seeing it though. Once inside. I called a schoolteacher friend when I got home and found out that a middle school student yesterday made threats to kill certain teachers and students. The schools were to be locked down except for only one door where people could get in and out of, and all bags were to be searched. The person making the threats whereabouts was unknown. I hope they find him, and more importantly I hope that he and his family get the help they need. Mayberry RFD is gone. Sad I feel so badly for the innocent kids that have to live with this stuff. In the shower, I started to sob. I'm not sure why. Sadness? Frustration? Helplessness? Loss? Probably everything. Why is it so easy to let those emotions take over us, while we have to often force ourselves to experience joy? By the numbers though, it was a great run.

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{{BTB}}}} Conclusion: Vitamin C supplementation decreases training efficiency because it prevents some cellular adaptations to exercise. Sue – wonder if that has anything to do with my winter endurance problem, because that’s when I take extra vitamin C. That IS odd, Dromedary - I always heard the good skunk came from up in the Berkeley area... Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

In the shower, I started to sob. I'm not sure why. Sadness? Frustration? Helplessness? Loss? Probably everything. Why is it so easy to let those emotions take over us, while we have to often force ourselves to experience joy?
                Bob-you have a good heart...hang in there...and continue to look for the good in everyone. When you are empathetic, as you are, you have a greater ability to feel other's pain. Maybe with prolonged sunshine the world will be brighter...come on Springtime, get here... and thanks for the excellent roundup!
                  btb - that was very moving. In a perfect world, would there be as much joy? Joy and sorrow co-exist because of the imperfections of human nature. Ok, I miss Dark Horse. His writing was exemplary. I'm not even sure I used the right word there. His descriptions of "new age guy" at the gym for example, remember that? Top notch stuff. I had a complelely unexpected SPROINKY 8 mile run today. Big grin 48F, sunny. Sometimes the good runs just come out of nowhere... After a 1 mile w/u, I did a bunch of miles at HM pace, or trying to figure out what a sustainable HM pace on hilly terrain would be. It got a little too fast towards the end. 10:24 w/u 10:05 9:57 9:28 9:45 (big hill) 9:25 - ok, this would be hard to maintain for 13 miles! 11:15 c/d 9:39 c/d (downhill with striders) My target HM is next weekend. My best HM pace is 10:00, but I know I have been underachieving in that distance AND I should be in better condition now than ever before. If I don't PR this HM, it means I did something really stupid. If you are still reading, I have a weird observation to make. When running along a trail, if I look about 10 ft ahead of me, I just plod along. If I look further ahead, say 30 to 40 ft, my pace involuntarily picks up, legs start moving faster etc. It seems to be a completely involuntary, automatic reaction. Has anyone else ever noticed this effect?? Kind of like how when driving a car you will veer to wherever your gaze is, so looking further ahead your brain is wired to move the body faster to that target? Am I nuts?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

{{{btb}}} Things sure are different from when we were kids. Makes me sad that things have changed so much. To recap the day: we've had bitter cold, frozen slush, sproinky runs, cute (?) runs, garmin free runs, skunks, and apparently a large enough contingent of you people are being told by your digital devices that it's 3/1 that I'm beginning to wonder if you haven't moved to some weird island currently featured on a TV show. Hmm. Sounds like a pretty typical day here in boomer land. I managed what felt like a slow 3.2 miles of walking and running today and found out it wasn't that slow. My running pace must have picked up a bit because I did a pretty fair amount of walking today. Still recovering from not running last week. I'll run again tomorrow and then go weigh in at weight watchers. With any luck, I'll have gotten rid of that last .2 pounds that's between me and my 20lb mark. After that, it's another 30 lbs and I'll officially be svelte. Right now, I've left zaftig. What comes between?
                    Have you got a flag?
                    Tramps

Good running everyone. JJJ—my best to Bonnie on the new adventure. Bob—hang in there; do what you can. It can seem overwhelming at times but it’s good that you’re engaged. I feel for all of you who have endured long winters. For some reason we’ve had a very mild winter, even by our modest standards. We have not seen an inch of snow all season, only minimal ice, and temps dipped down to single digits only once or twice. Storms just seemed to miss us all season long. That’s fine with me. Finishing the month with 7.2 easy, late afternoon miles @ 8:54.

Be safe. Be kind.

munchkn883

Nothing for me today. We got back about an hour ago from my PET scan. Tomorrow I'll do 8 miles....slowly! Hope the results will be in my oncologist's office for my Tuesday appt. befoe my treatment. Next week my training will be more on schedule.
                          ((Bob)) it is definitely a different world today ........ i have never slept longer than 20-30 minutes in my car after work, but i've heard several stories about night nurses waking up hours later in their car - one nurse i know finally had to get off nights because she would make it about 3/4 of the way home then fall asleep in a McDonald's parking lot and wake up at noon - not good!! other people have told me they've fallen asleep in their own driveway for hours!! tammy - did you get your adjustment - i went to my friend's house today for a long overdue adjustment and felt better immediately!! the dh of one of my best friends from childhood is a chiropractor and i stop by their house on the way home from work instead of having to go into his office, nice cuz my friend and i get to sit and catch up often too!! looks like a lot of nice leap year day runs here - me - i don't know - i felt great after my adjustment this morning, did a few errands, slept about 3.5 hours but still trying to perk up here - feel tired, cranky and not wanting to go back out in the cold - i too feel guilty knowing the subzero temps some of you endure, but i am sick of below 20 temps and the thought of more snow tonight is not helping my mood!!

denise

wildchild

Carolyn

{{{btb}}} Things sure are different from when we were kids. Makes me sad that things have changed so much.
                            I think it was just yesterday Seemomgo was saying she rode her bike to school with her DD because of attempted abductions at school. There was a gun threat last year at my daughter's school. It's a scary world out there. Sad Bob, it would be less scary if more people cared the way you do. I went for a 5 mile run at lunchtime, in shorts and tee shirt yet again. Can't complain about the Colorado weather this week! I ran on a single track dirt trail with beautiful views of the mountains, but because the trail was so rocky I couldn't look up and enjoy the view too much. To use Halllar's term, I ran at a "whatever pace feels good that day" pace, which is how I usually run. Turned out to be about 11-ish pace, which is OK considering the tricky footing and hills.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Manchild

BTB, my friends have a son at Bridgewater State and a person wrote on the walls of a bathroom near one of his classrooms that there would be shootings on the 28th and to watch out. My friends told there son to stay in his dorm and not to attend classes yesterday as a result. I guess there's alot of this going on nationally, too bad, indeed. My son's off to college next year... Anyway, ran this afternoon after work, 4.92 miles in 44:33:39(9:04) in 23 degrees and a steady breeze. Was nice to get outside for a change. Have a great weekend!! Chris

GreenMan

SteveP I am curious to know if there is a running kilt available anywhere? ....
                                Big grin Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing This one is cotton and a little on the heavy side but tons of pockets for whatever, just beware of wet days. It's the Survival model and may be purchased at http://www.utilikilts.com/ tell'em JJJ sent ya. Tuck a tech layer in at the belly line for long runs. Or buy stock in Body Glide. Tech undies shown here, may be unnecessary, the jury's still out on that one, or in, or sequestered, whatever. They make a sporty model of nylon, but I just know if I'm that sporty. About any kilt should run fine, I'd think. {{{btb}}} that's a tough way to start the day, fortunately you were blessed by some beautiful scenes this morning too. Thanks for all the kind and encouraging words for my DW, folks jjj
                                Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.