Masters Running

JUNE CHALLENGE (Read 53 times)

TammyinGP

I will start this a little early since I'll be out of town this weekend and I know a few of you will be very anxious to get started on the June Challenge!

We will do SQUATS, but different than the wall squats we did in May. Although, if you found the wall squats a good challenge and want to do those, please do so, but I encourage you to try some of these other types of squats so that you get more than just a quad work-out and work the full range of muscles that can benefit from a properly done squat.  And if you have equipment, like hand weights, that you would like to use to make it more of a challenge, that's great too.

We'll start these on Saturday and each person should choose the type of squats and the number of reps that will challenge you.  Each week, you should try to increase that challenge by either increasing the reps, the amount of time you hold the squat or trying one of the more advanced squat exercises.

Squats

Squats are the single most effective exercise that you can perform to strengthen the entire lower body. Squats target the quadriceps, hamstrings, hips, hip flexors, and glutes, and even activate your core. When done properly, they can also help strengthen your knees and prevent knee pain and injury. Here are a few ways to do them, based on your fitness level and equipment available:

Beginner Exercises Advanced Exercises

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow, this is great, Tammy, and you have given us a lot of options, so we can mix it up a bit.  (And good grief does my behind need some firming, lol.)

I would love to watch these videos, but they won't click when I try.  Is this from a website?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

glad you like it!

here's the link where I found this:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1570

guess it didn't copy over the hotlink to pull up the video when I copied/pasted.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Okay--I did 3 x 15 dumbbell squats (8 pounders).  I'll start out slow and work my way up.  Although--I think I'll do a hard/easy schedule...or maybe a harder workout on my harder running days...hmmm...I guess I'll just have to figure it out as we go along...this will be a fun challenge...I hope I win something...

Marathon Maniac #957

Given that I ran a trail ultra today, I thought about wimping out, but can't do that on the FIRST day!  60 squats, no weights.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Holly--you are an animal!  Umm...a very nice animal...

Mike E

MM #5615

3 x 15 dumbbell squats (8 pounders)

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - Smile

60 squats today, no weights.

Hoodoo Guru

forgot to check in yesterday to see the challenge for the month, so I'm starting today, as soon as I finish this sentence.

The tangents are moot.

TammyinGP

I almost forgot last night until about 10 p.m., so only did 10 squats - holding each one for a count of 5.

tonight I did 20 squats. 10 of them I held for a count of 5 and then extended a leg out to the side after each one. The last 10 were just 10 regular squats.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

3 x 15 dumbbell squats (8 pounders)

TammyinGP

it was late by the time we got home from the baseball game last night and then I completely forgot to do squats until I crawled in bed at 10:40, so I did 25 squats this morning to make up for last night. Will do another set tonight.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

4 x 15 dumbbell squats (15 pounders)

Marathon Maniac #957

Still no weights as I recover from Saturday.  Took it easy on Monday with DOMS, just 20 squats, then 40 squats last night.

I haven't been posting here, but have been doing different squats every day - yesterday's werre by far my most fun - holding my 10+lb grandbaby!!  Big grin

denise