Masters Running

Tuesday, August 4 Master Runs and Workouts (Read 416 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Holy Humidity Batman!

Last night I rode my bike 4 miles to my mom's to deliver a pork chop fresh off the grill, had a nice visit and then 4 miles home.   The first 4 miles were directly into 30mph winds, which turned into quite the little workout.

Brinkley and I were out for 4 miles this morning, but I could tell right off the bat that that was not going to happen.  We got in 3 miles with several walk breaks.   My legs were just dead tired, not to mention the headache I had.  

Then down on the floor for 300 various crunches.  

Happy 2s'day!

P.S.   JLynne - we are near Grand Haven along the Lake Michigan Shoreline.   About 30 miles west of Grand Rapids.   Great place to live year 'round.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mary, I'll be in the Petoskey area this weekend.  I can't believe the weather up there.  I may be in heaven at least for a few days.  Can't wait to run long up there!

Ran short today.  3.5 easy recovery paced miles.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Renee the dog

6 miles this morning with a friend from high school who I haven't seen in 25+ years.  Facebook brought us together.  She is the one who qualified for Boston with a few seconds to spare on her 13th try.  Wonderful woman!

It was 70ºF and 100% humidity, which feels best when I'm running.  It's 79ºF in the house, and I'm toying with turning on the A.C. as there's not any air moving on the island. 

Have fun everyone!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tramps

What a woman that Mary is!  She not only grills, she delivers!

I've been very busy with work so I'm afraid I've neglected you all recently--and will have to continue to do so for awhile.

A bit of a mini-milestone today, so I thought I'd post.  It was the first time I've tried any "speed" at all.  The spirit moved me and I just decided to pick up the pace and see how I fared.  I did 7 miles @ 8:35 but there were 3 sub-8:00 miles in there, which felt like an accomplishment.  You take what you can get.

Hope everyone's doing well.

Be safe. Be kind.

Morning, gang!

Mary - that humidity really puts a damper on running - good to listen to your body and not push it.  Hope the headache subsides.

Teresa - you nailed that time goal, didn't you??  Wow - B2B fills quickly - I'll have to be on my toes for registration next year.  If they improve the process, it may take even less time to fill - yikes! 

nono - very kewl run with your long lost friend.  I'm amazed at the number of people I've reconnected with through Facebook. 

Hi Tramps! - nice speed work - come back and visit!

DH and I went to the track this morning - 96% humidity - 70 degrees when we started the run, and 79 when we finished.  I did a 1 mile warmup and then a 6 mile tempo run (9:28, 9:21, 9:13, 9:17, 9:15, 9:20) and a 1 mile cooldown.  Overall pace was 9:30 and 163 AHR.  I was shooting for a 9:28 pace for the tempo run, but I had trouble slowing it down.  The weatherman is promising  lower temps and humidity by Thursday, and I'm holding him to it ;-). 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

How nice to see Mary starting the daily thread again. I'm sure your mother appreciated all of the effort that went into her dinner last night.

Bill - Petoskey is absolutely beautiful. We were there last week and it was actually chilly. You might have to bring warm running clothes! The people are very friendly and I'd go back there any time.

A great run for Tramps this morning - looks like your speed is coming back.

Nono and Sue - I suppose you get used to running in high humidity, but how can that be fun? It was 68° and 80% humid this morning and I was soaking wet after the first mile. 7.5 total, 9:51 pace.

I'm having a baby shower for DS and DIL this Friday night. My job today is to clean the house so that it passes the "white glove test." Any helpers out there?

Enjoy your Tuesday everyone.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Byll.. you are going to FLY in those cooler temps. Enjoy!

Yea Tramps. progress!

I'll pass Jlynne!

67F with "only" 65F dewpoint felt so much better today!

10 miles progression style: 10:18, 10:10, 9:20, 9:03 (2mi), 8:54, 8:28, 8:18 (2mi), 7:55 there was actually some sproink in the legs during the last 2 miles.  First 2 miles with Tory and Sadie.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Nice start to the daily thread and the day Mary---even if humid---you got some miles in and that's cool. Bill, I can't wait to hear about your runs this week----as others here said---you will be loving the temp. and humidity difference.

I can attest to lots of fabulous friend reunions thanks to facebook---my high school teammates, prom dates, colleagues, lots of college friends and the technology has prompted us to see one another in person far more than I imagined. It's been terrific. My super granny is in Brooklyn with one of my aunts for the summer and she is posting on my aunt's facebook page----all the grandkids and great-grandkids are loving that!

Tuesday track day for me----3 miles to the Smith track, 10x 800 @3:20-3:30 (2 min. rest) for the first 7 and (1:30 rest) for the last 3--barefoot strides and high knee skipping drills and 3 miles home---about 13.5 miles total. (3:26, 3:21, 3:23, 3:23, 3:22, 3:24, 3:22, 3:27, 3:24, 3:24). I wish I could bottle this day and save it for the -20º icy road runs----the heat is rising now, but it was 59º with a deep blue sky and bright sun when I left the house for this track torture workout at 6:45 am. It's 68º now and will go into the 90s---all good.

Yesterday was an on the road day and thank goodness it's a conference call day today ----I can drink chocolate milk and remain horizontal.

Hi Tramps!

Sue---that Ocean Beach Park race was awesome. I placed second in my age group to the Assoc. VP at Connecticut College---Claire Gadrow (client). She just turned 40, so I am toast now ----she ran @6:50 pace for 11.6 miles as her workout. It was great to see her there. If you get the chance to run the race, go for it---great course, price is right, good food and music, and then some super paddling in the ocean.

Sounds like most of us -- Mary, Perch, et al -- are enjoying enduring real summer weather at last. It felt like that for me, too, as I ran a semi-LR this morning at 7:30. I ran the rail-trail, but then took the side path through a park along the river for benefit of the shady trail. I got the benefit of the shade, but there was a big drawback: mosquitoes, deer flies, and swarms of other unidentified flying insects.

Finished dripping wet with 8.1 miles at a 9:45 pace -- a bit quicker than I expected in the H&H, but I did pick up my pace to escape the bugs.

Speaking of UFIs, my wife's flower garden attracts hummingbirds, butterflies and bees. The other afternoon, I saw what I thought was a bumblebee feeding on a flower. Nothing unusual about that, but then I could see that it was larger and the wrong shape. Going closer for a look I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. “What IS this thing??” I said as I called my DW over. It looked like a mutated cross between a hummingbird and a bee, as it hovered with wings going like a hummingbird and a long beak/proboscis dipping into the flowers, and it had coloration (greenish yellow, white on the bottom) like some hummingbirds.

Just as I was convinced that it was a small or baby hummingbird, I caught sight of two definite antennae on its head. Again, “What IS this??” It was also not skittish like a bird would be, but eventually it flew away out of sight. Well, a lookup on Google gave me the answer, and this creature even has its own website: hummingbirdmoth.com. It is indeed a species of moth that resembles a hummingbird, and I am far from being the first person with the exact reaction that I had. Interesting that in all my life, I’ve never seen or heard of such a thing, but I’ll surely be keeping an eye out for it in the future. Weird creature!

Anyone else ever seen one of these? A good example of "convergent evolution".

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My run conditions were exactly the same as CNY's.  59 degrees at the start.  The lower humidity was a relief!  I ran a total of 9.1 miles, the first 7.0 non-stop.  Felt good!  My HM is two months from today, so I need to keep making my runs longer.  Today was encouraging.

Renee the dog

Nono and Sue - I suppose you get used to running in high humidity, but how can that be fun?

I don't know exactly.  I think for me, the comfort factor of being warm enough from the start is well, comfortable.  I know I moan way to much on this thread all winter long about being mis-dressed, and that always makes me annoyed.  But our weather in the winter makes it tricky to dress right: strong sun and calm, to be done in partway through a run by a big cloud and the wet wind kicking up to a dull howl off the ocean or bay can mean a 30ºF temp swing.  Summer and its humidity: ahhhhh, a known quantity!  I simply LOVE it! 

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Hey I also had 59F this morning!  85% humidity.  I promised myself to run only every other day but the cool air coming into the bedroom window beckoned to me.  On top of that, the sun was hidden behind a great wall of marine clouds, making it all the more tempting.

3 easy miles, and I was sweating a lot finally (before I'd just get hot and overheated).

Pace to slow to post.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning from the Left Coast!

Roch - I don't know what it is, but awesome photo!

Interval day for me today.

2.7 mile WU, including 4 x 60-second striders, then

2 x 1200 @ 

5.43(7:41)

5:51(7:51)

4 x 400 @

1:49(7:22)

1:51(7:26)

1:53(7:36)

1:45(7:06)

4.46 mile CD, including 4 x 60-second striders

10.35 miles total

Not nearly as fast as the plan called for, but way more fun...

Unfortunately, my running is not keeping pace with my vacation eating....dinner theatre tonight won't help there....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

roch - what is that? a hummingbird butterfly?

isn't convergent evolution like mariposai and me?

mary - I can't figure out sending e-mail on FB so sorry for public thanks for the link to all the Alaska photos.  Did you ever see a cloud at all?  I never heard of a trip that includes Mendenhall glacier, 15 humpback whales (in Lynn Canal I'd guess), Misty Fjords, Skagway's Red Onion Red Light District, Hoonah, Nugget Falls, halibut on deck, cruise boat swimming pool, and sunshine, sunshine, sunshine.  Are you a secret travel agent?  Could you book me next time?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

dg.

Mary started the daily.  Big grin     Dinner delivery,  that was sweet of you.   You know, a ride to Ann Arbor would really be good exercise!

Hi Tramps.   Nice & speedy!  How's your toe?

Nono that was really neat...  

Bill, I'll wave as you fly overhead.  :-).   Have a great time.

Sue, you couldn't slow down in that H & H?   wow.     I'm sorry about  your garden.  too bad.  I"m having mixed feelings about the joys of nature.  I'm not allowed to harvest any of my oregano or sage, or even weed in that bed .. according to the bees in residence.

Jlynne,  I'll send moral support. 

Perch, very  nice!  your knee's ok?

Karin, phew!  

Doug, cool!  No I haven't.  Nice drippy 8! 

I'm saying nice too much, sorry .  oh well.  hurrying because I need to get back to work.

my 7.25 miles this morning were harder than my 12.6 Sunday.   Does that ever happen to anybody else?  I wonder if it has something to do with expectation... 'I'll just zip off 7 this morning...'.   It was warmer than usual too, but not all that bad.  I think my S/I's out, so my stride was a little weird but as far as all the usual owies... they're so much better!  overall pace was 10:13, max 8:51, ahr 160, max 175. miles were 10:50, 10:07, 10:11, 10:05, 10:20, 10:12, & 9:54.  The last .25 was at 9:21.  I think I wanted to be done... though I'm trying to get into the mindset that I'm just going to run all day, that's the plan.  Smile