Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 10.17.13 (Read 43 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

There is so much good stuff in yesterday's daily that I'd like to comment on, but I don't have the time this morning 'cause I have to get to an 8am seminar.

Had a good presentation (on behalf of our Conservation Commission) at the town Planning Board meeting last night. We're proposing a zoning change to reduced the allowable percentage of impermeable (sealed) surface per lot in town - we've got serious flooding issues, and too much impermeable surface is part of the cause. I know - you're thinking "What the heck is he talking about?" Sorry.

5.5 racewalking miles at 4 o'dark this morning. It was 52F with a breeze from the SE, and lots 'o fog. My legs felt fatigued, but I pushed through and had a decent workout. I guess it's time to start thinking about my half on Sunday.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

Jay,

Lots of cities are dealing with the same problem here. One thing was limiting the permeable surface, which includes the roof of the building and not just the paved lot, but new buisness need to dig a storm water holding area to allow the run off to gradually seep into the ground. Another city is requiring all new housing developements to have permeable driveways.

Ran shy of 5 miles today...just didn't have the gumption to run my planned 10 miles.

dg is committed

Hope you stay awake at that seminar this morning, Jay. Drink lots of coffee!

Hi Slo! Coming to Green Bay next year???

I think Mo boy is going to fit in quite nicely here Smile

That clown picture gives me the willies every time I see it.

7.75 miles this morning, 43° and no wind. I was overdressed and stopped at the Y to shed some clothing. One of the fitness instructors asked me how far I was going and wanted to run with me, so we did 3 miles and I ran her back to the Y, then ran home. It was nice to have some company as my 12 year old MP3 player conked out and I had no tunes.

Off to cut the grass which will require MAJOR leaf raking first. Have a great Thursday everyone!

Slo

Hi Slo! Coming to Green Bay next year???

There is a very high probability of that.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

There is so much good stuff in yesterday's daily

Jay - me too warping my brain with marathons getting planned out like NASA going to the moon, the new naked and runners boycotting a race because not enough age groups I never could have imagined on my own.  Whew.  Gotta go check out the permeability one now.

No moon set runners yet? Tomorrow’s the full.
            Seattle’s got swallowed up in morning fog.
            so I boycotted a planned moonset run too. oh well.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Didn't get a chance to check back in on yesterday's posts. SLO, what's this about finally getting dg committed? Hope she gets the help she needs.

(Ha ha! I crack myself up!)

Little domestic dispute on the airplane the other day.  This woman shouted at her husband, "You're always pushing me around and talking behind my back."  He said, "Honey, you're in a wheelchair."

4.9 easy miles at the park today. I was so happy. I could have run forever. Finally my legs seem to be back for the first time since that horrible trail race.  We have clear skies and temps in the 50's today so it's beautiful outside.

On Sunday I leave for Seattle for a few days.  My client is in the healthcare industry, which is a fairly new market for me, all my previous work having been for financial institutions. I'm really looking forward to it.  Spareribs

henrun I am pretty sympathetic to the complaint about the upper AG being 10 year blocks.  A 30 versus a 39 year old seems doable.  A 60 versus a 69 is not reasonable.  I have tried to think up solutions (not that anybody would listen to me but given my job I am used to that) but have yet to come up with something that might work.  The best I can think of is to have the age brackets narrow in the upper years.  But that creates it own problems, like how do you figure out the "right" set of ranges.

No run for me today.  But I did get my elliptical fixed!  It turned out it needed a new battery.  The batter lets you pause your movement on the machine without having it reset.

About those slow roasted tomatoes I made yesterday:  Spectacular!!  I will put the "recipe" up on my Allrecipes page.  But it basically comes down to cutting the tomatoes up. removing the seeds, coating in a very little bit of olive oil (I used one tablespoon for 6 tomatoes) and some salt and pepper.  Then you pop them in the oven at 250° for 6 hours.  At the end of that out come some of the best tomatoes you will every eat!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

dg.

ha ha. ; )

I almost added 'which was long overdue' to my post....

it's morning, & I'm posting.

made it.

home free now.

I need to go back & find LaT..... I was wondering how Tuft's went.

thanks thanks thanks for all the hugs and good wishes.    as Denise said the other day, I love you all even if you are an ufuwnb......

King of PhotoShop

Twocat,  I used lower heat, like just 200, and added a bit of basil and fresh garlic to each tomato piece.   I use Romas for this dish.  When they are done, I put them in a gallon Ziploc and freeze.  You can pull out as many as you like and just throw them into any pasta dish. It's a great thing to make and during the cool weather gives the entire house a lovely aroma.

Spareribs

Dave59

Funny stuff from Ribs this morning.  Big grin

I was fighting a headache this morning but I did some planks and then a nice 3-mile run and I am feeling better.  I took an Advil Sinus pill too so that may have helped as well.

I'm thinking of going back to Green Bay too.  #1 - I love an excuse to take the Badger across Lake Michigan.  4 hours of peaceful, relaxing reading out on the water (each way).  #2 - I have a DNF and a PW there and I would like to make amends.  It can't be unseasonable hot 3 years in a row, can it?   Next year it will probably by 35° and sleet. Black eye

But there are other places I'd like to go to so no decision yet.

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat,  I used lower heat, like just 200, and added a bit of basil and fresh garlic to each tomato piece.   I use Romas for this dish.  When they are done, I put them in a gallon Ziploc and freeze.  You can pull out as many as you like and just throw them into any pasta dish. It's a great thing to make and during the cool weather gives the entire house a lovely aroma.

Spareribs

I have to try this - it sounds delicious!

6 easy-paced miles for me this morning in 42 degrees.  That still feels cold to me, although I know by spring it will seem warm.

I'm debating on a 17K trail race on Saturday, at the same Germantown park that I ran the 50K three weeks ago.  That's only a bit over 10 miles, but it will still be a challenging, somewhat technical and hilly run, and with Moab coming up, I am a little leery about running another trail race.  I really don't want to trip on a root and twist something.  Roll eyes  Plus, I was hoping for 16-18 miles for my LR this weekend, so the question is how to work that in.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Spareribs I think the extra 50° worked here because the regular tomatoes have a lot more water than the Romas.

For those that want the recipe for what I did it is now on my Allrecipes page.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

speaking of tomatos, what should I do with all my green tomatos that will not ripen now that our nights are hovering around freezing? Still have several on the plants in the garden. Our days have been sunny and low 70's so I've been leaving them on in hopes that they'll start to ripen just a bit, but don't think it's going to happen.  My kale and broccoli are loving these cooler temps though!

XC meet day for David. He has a good shot at winning this one today. The 2-3 kids that always beat him are from a school that won't be at this meet today, so he's happy about that. Next week is Districts and then XC is over already! boo!

Tammy

will run for popsicles

hey, kids. how DO you function before noon?

I haven't run yet (today is the debut of the shoes that are guaranteed to turn my feet bright green. I feel like a kid dying Easter eggs.) But I realize you're waiting breathlessly for what I think about AG awards, which is this:

Beats me. I run a series of ma-and-pa trail races in which they give only top three for 50 and under, and top three for 50 and over. There are 300-400 runners, so not a gimme at all. And I've run races where they had a 55-59 category in a small town, which meant that as one of three runners in the category, I was almost assured of hardware unless someone was handing out beer along the course. I've never thought it was so much about winning awards as it is conquering the demons along the course. But I guess I understand 10 years is a long time. I can't even remember 10 years ago.

Do it, Holly!!!!!!!!! Never turn down a single-track. Just make a mental note not to fall down (this from the guy who dnf'd rocky raccoon last year after three crashes in 19 miles. damn roots.)

oh, well. off to the Easter egg hunt.

p.s. odd being new guy. still trying to learn who's who. but i learned today not to read spareribs' posts when I'm hungry. dang.

Singer who runs a smidge

speaking of tomatos, what should I do with all my green tomatos that will not ripen now that our nights are hovering around freezing? Still have several on the plants in the garden.

Slice 'em, bread 'em, and fry 'em!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.