Masters Running

Wednesday Daily 3.19.14 (Read 39 times)

MM #7877

Morning Everyone!

Havent gotten the official word yet, but I have a charge on my credit card - So it looks like my entry was selected for the Marine Corps Marathon.

Philippians 4:13.

Mike E

MM #5615

Oh, good....your list was getting short.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Congrats on getting into MCM, IBUB, or at least for paying for an entry...

Have a blast in Ohio, Henrun & Marj. I saw the photo (on FB) of you two with Holly, and you all look great.

Thanks, TomW - I'll try to keep my spelling within the normal rules from now on, sometimes.

Nice recovery 9er, Aamos. I'm glad you were able to wait out the rain. Did you find the running club after work? BTW, this might be an interesting video for DH to take a look at to help with his speed/racewalking.

I'm glad you got in 8 sproinky, pain-free miles, Holly.

I was waiting to see if anyone would comment on the hundredth of a mile that I listed. Figures it'd be you, Ribs! I'm glad you are getting in some "feeling OK" runs again.

I can't help much with your injury question, dg. However, if you've already got a leg-strength imbalance, it seems to me that you wouldn't want to make it any more out of balance if you can avoid it. If the doc still wants you to stay away from pool running, find out why. It'd be good to know his reasoning.

You find the most interesting races, Tet. I never heard of one giving away a robe! Training run again???

I'm sorry to say that Seattle 'copter crash made the local news here too. Very scary, and a real tragedy.

Robin, I never would have guessed that ballroom dancing and running don't mix - I would have thought that one would be good cross-training for the other.

I agree Mike. Whenever there is an issue (accident, weather, etc.) I always wonder who on this forum might be at risk. So I'm glad when everyone checks in.

Nice 8er in the yuck, NHLA.

Enke, I have a feeling that a lot of us are dealing with snow freezing/melting issues. And let's not forget the frost heaves to make the roads so much more interesting!

7.2 RW miles at 4 o'moonlight this morning. 19F with just a hint of a breeze. Good tempo workout with lots of up and down hills. I started at a 12:50 pace (including my warm-up), and kept bringing the numbers down and finished at 11:01. With the strong moonlight, there were times that I couldn't tell if I was seeing snow, sand, or moonlight on the road ahead of me. So a few times I did a little dance around a spot of moonlight, doing a little Van Morrison.

Have a greta Wednesday! (What day is it??)

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...NOTE FOR DG//........maybe your doc doesn't understand

that

you Never have to touch bottom

if

you PoolRun only in the Deep End...

...unless

it's the actual movement itself,

but that's  similair to the x-bike idea movement, so I'm confused by his no-no-no

picking up the MRI

results today...........as I feared, I moved into the ''Severe'' OA in the hip category.......see the Ortho March 28th

==========

poolrunning later

.........................nice job on the spelling jay.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

LOL--reminds me of introducing DaveinAA (physics, fast guy Dave) at Boston one year to some Maniacs.  The conversation turned to how many marathons one had completed and Dave said something like 6 or 7 and the Maniacs nodded, saying that was cool.  I had to interpret that the Maniacs had taken that as 6 or 7 so far this year, whereas Dave meant in his lifetime.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

NHLA

Good news union blue.

dg  with some injuries swimming can hurt you. Even though there is no impact you have resistance from both directions.

Tai Chi is great for imbalance. You learn to separate your weight. You either have 100%wt on one leg or 75% one leg 25% the other thru the whole form.

I am waiting for the rain to stop.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

DH and I were very fortunate to meet up with Henry and Marj last night.  They are just wonderful people, and we had a great time!  Hoping to see them again when they come back in a few months.

Tom - Bummer about your hip.  I'll be interested in hearing what the Ortho guy says.

Aamos - 

5.5 miles for me this morning in a very windy mid-40's.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM #7877

Taking advantage of my new found fitness level  All these races mean plenty of training miles, and hopefully sustain the weight loss.

But yeah - I have 5 marathons scheduled for the Spring, and this makes 4 marathons scheduled for the Fall.

Philippians 4:13.

Sayhey! MM#130

HIya again,

As far as decimal points and precision, on my non-running watch, I have a blank face with just a little gold ball where the 12 should be.  I love thinking of time in the rest of my (i.e., non-running)  life as "almost quarter past" or "around ten to."

Saw Holly with Henry and Marj in a FB photo; they all are looking super sharp!  And having a blast, wish we could all be there.

Jay, thanks thanks thanks so much.  I'm on break at work but I will for sure watch the video with DH tonight.  You are the BEST for giving him a helping hand.  It isn't easy to get started as there aren't too many people around doing race/speedwalking, so he's lucky to have even a little group.  He did 6 yesterday at an even 13:00 pace, and 12.5 on Saturday at I forget the pace.

Debbie, speaking of DH, when his ankle was broken, we propped that foot up and he used an exercise bike BUT it was the kind that has movable handlebars.  He did have his other leg on the pedal, but as he didn't want to get too unbalanced, used that more as just a guide and mostly worked his arms in order to try and get some aerobic action going on.  Thinking of you; never like anyone to be out with an injury.

tet, what Tammy said about the full moon and your training!  And I am cold more often than you think; I've turned into "FLorida girl" already!

NHLA, agreed.  I was with a tiny army of folks; 5 of us ran the marathon and there were two husbands, a friend and a sister in the group, so my time wasn't really my own.  I just showed up/showered/ran/ate, etc.  according to schedule!

Robin, take care, maybe back off the dancing juice a little (isn't that in a Bruno Mars song -- the juice??)  Have you started the weather watch yet?  the high earlier this week in Hopkinton was 25.  that's the HIGH! 

I did find the running group last night and had some speedy for me miles with them (sub-8s), then ran 8 this am, 6 with one of the guys from the group.  For me, it was zippy, an 8:11 pace and the first 2 were 9+ each; for him, it was a recovery run.  And he is 65.

I think I am going to sign up for an ultra.     May 4, Palm Bluff.  And I think the nearest town is the infamous Sanford.   It is advertised as a good one for first time ultra runners (it is loops in a conservation area, so nothing too challenging)  and it has a CInco de Mayo theme, not that I drink Margueritas or anything like that...the overall party atmosphere will I hope motivate me, and DH will do the noncompetitive 12K.  The entire event is pretty easy going, not time-oriented, just let's go have fun on the trails.

So, ultra and trail runners (yes, please, Carolyn), any and all advice and tips most appreciated.

First query:

Do you recommend a running vest, a fuel belt or both?  If the latter, I need help.  I have used fuel belts on land runs in the past and I usually end up with hip chafe-ing.  (I'm an apple shape, not a pear, so my fat is around my middle and in front and not on my hips.)

Oh, and how big/small do you recommend the bottles, along with how many?  I've seen some that look like you could don a kangaroo suit and succor a brood of babies!

Thanks in advance, and have a happy Camel Day!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mariposai

Ibleedunionblue, you have a very nice list of marathons there. Marine Corps is on my list too, but not this year.

Looking at Holly, Marj and Henry's picture makes me to get excited about the Ave of Giants meet up!

2 miles this early morning just to be out there. I am happy with my 14 miler last night. Off for a full day and night of work.

Cheers,

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

Good idea, to find out why the no no. (tw, he hasn't oked the x-bike, I haven't asked about using just one leg.. he said 7 no's to x-biking ; )) will be sure he knows no touch down.

NHLA what you said might be the issue.. similar to why he doesn't want me doing any leg abductions (I caught myself doing them while brushing teeth & standing on my left leg). The ITB attaches to the head of the tibia & would pull on it. It might be fun to try Tai Chi when I am 'full weight bearing.' Happily I do a lot of one legged standing, (anybody remember the proprioceptive thread we had for a while?) and it has served me well lately. But too much of it irritates my left foot, which was still rehabbing.

I'm trying hard to avoid surgery. And I think I maybe perhaps I should go back in for another xray. The day after he said I could be 25% weight bearing, I may have done something stupid.. reached for something from the shower & I was being so careful not to fall, I think I may have put too much weight on my leg.   I need one of those moveable skelatons... it's the femur that broke this in the first place. I wonder what positions smash them together?

Just thought of this.. the cartilege is involved in the fracture, I am not sure how that works, but it's one of the things they're being careful about. Maybe that's a reason he's limiting motion.

I sat in a chair the other day & swung my arms & did whatever leg motions I thought were safe. I was very glad no one was watching!

I'm glad the rain isn't the s word!

Jay you make me smile.

SteveP, thanks. me too Smile. How's your back?

ErikaEnke, is this a worse thaw'/freeze cycle than you usually have?   Ours is less than usual, & someone said it's because we've so much snow that the ground didn't really freeze.

tw...  so sorry about Severe.   

Mike & Aaaamos,  :-).   

more posts.   will read after I work a little

King of PhotoShop

Great you two couples got together Holly. Thanks for the pic.

After the Boston Marathon each year they have a dance party, and friends of mine who have gone to it swear it's the best post-run exercise you can do. But the opposite is not true. A night of dancing will mess up your run the next day.  Lots of stress on the legs.

For TW and DG, hope things get better for you both.

Jay, today I ran 5.06 miles!  My RP and I do our "Work Hard Wednesday" each week and today the plan was a 2 mile warm up, then jog over to the school track and do 4 x 800.  I like to do these at around 8 minute pace.  So after our warm up, we're running over to the track about 3/4 of a mile away and she says she just wants to do 3 x 800 because the refrigerator repair man is coming and she has to get back.  Okay.  So we do 2 x 800 and we agreed that was enough.

Here's my take on it.  My first was 3:56, and my experience has been that the next 800s will be faster, but in my second one I worked so hard and that one came in at 4:00. I knew I was done.  But it was good to do a little something anyway, although not quite Work Hard. Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I think I am going to sign up for an ultra.     May 4, Palm Bluff.  . . . 

First query:

Do you recommend a running vest, a fuel belt or both?  If the latter, I need help.  I have used fuel belts on land runs in the past and I usually end up with hip chafe-ing.  (I'm an apple shape, not a pear, so my fat is around my middle and in front and not on my hips.)

Oh, and how big/small do you recommend the bottles, along with how many?  I've seen some that look like you could don a kangaroo suit and succor a brood of babies!

Amy’s gunna run an ultra!!!!!!

I think the full moon got to you too.
                            After 130 marathons, it’s about time.
                            You’re gunna love the new challenge so much.
                            I'm so glad for you.

However, the event web page indicates such frequent aid stations an unbelievable every 2-4 miles I’ve never heard of before in an ultra (except around tracks) .  Therefore, if you’re compatible with the offerings, you won’t need to carry anything.  You couldn’t have picked a better first ultra, . . . except it will spoil you for most all of the other ones.  Have fun, fun, fun.  Lucky. 
                            http://www.finalmileracemanagement.com/PalmBluff.html

ps - with such frequent aid stations, even though it is a BYOB event, you won't need the regular-size water bottles but even just a dixie cup stuck in your waistband should be sufficient to fill and squeeze to drink on the run like you do anyway in marathons.  Finishers get margarita glasses?  It definitely sounds like too much fun.  Maybe movin' to Florida wasn't such a bad idea after all.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

dg.

Great picture!   I'm glad you all were able to get together!

Amy's running an ultra!  : D.    And planning to don a kangaroo suit and succor a brood of babies!   snork.

Amy thanks, & thanks for the suggestions.   Speaking of your DH, how is he?   Is his heart happy & healthy?

Ribs.  thanks to you too.

Regarding your workout, In some circles, Working till you"re Done is considered Working Hard.    I'm going to have to toughen up!

I called the surgical nurse help line, & was called back pretty quickly.   I was hoping for leg adduction, if not abduction, but she says not to add anything right now.   But the main thing is that she doesn't think I messed anything up last week, I've been sekritly pretty concerned about that, and was sticking my head in the sand.    (tricky when you can't get on the ground).     Was nudged this morning to find out, & I'm glad I did.   Phew!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy - I agree with Tet that a small hand-held would probably be sufficient with so many aid stations.   That is what I would bring.

Dg - I may have to come up there with some duct tape....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."