Sunday's Daily, 6.11.17 (Read 27 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Saturday's workouts & races:

Pfriese (6 EZ, wheezy morning miles)

BerthaSlayer (Horribly hard 8 miles)

Mike (6 miles, without GD)

Holly (14.6 hot miles)

RunnerKSA (Hatfield & McCoy Marathon - 4:53 & 1st in 60-64AG)

Cat (3,000 pool yards - longest continuous swim ever)

Mariposai (4 recover miles, feeling like 10)

Good work with the smoker, Twocat. I don't sense any lemons, unless you put some on the salmon. Thanks for the tip about using Google Photos, but it sounds like a lot to do to post a photo.

I'm glad you found the good in your bad run, BerthaSlayer.

Your GD missed a good op when she passed on the chance to run with you, Mike.

Sorry about the record heat, Evanflein. I hope it is better today, and that you can get your 12er done.

Sounds like a very determined and protective robin, Holly. Best to give it some room for a bit.

Outstanding racing, RunnerKSA - congrats on the 1st place AG hardware!

Comforting to have a good financial advisor, eh, Catwhoorg? Nice job on your longest swim.

I hope you're feeling better today, Fatozzig, and the shot works its magic.

I'm glad you're paying attention to youor body, post-marathon, Mariposai.

I managed to snag 1st place in the RW div of yesterday's Market Square Day 10K, but it wasn't pretty - even though it wasn't a real hot day, we had more heat and strong sun than a lot of us are used to this early in the season, and there was some suffering because of it. I went 3.9 easy miles today to try to work out some of the lingering aches from yesterday. Now I'm going to do some quiet work in the yard (DW and likely the neighbors too are still sleeping). We have a day in the 90s coming, so I want to get some work done before the heat settles in.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all to follow. Congratulations on taking 1st in the RW 10k yesterday! And why can't other people get up as early as we do?

Congratulations also to RunnerKSA! Looking forward to reading your post about the conditions during the race.

Holy moly it's warmer than I like the last couple of days! It was already 75° with windy, humid conditions at 5:30 this morning. I did 4 miles of a run/walk, then hopped on my bike and biked 5 miles. Too bad I don't have a pool in the back yard for a swim to finish!  We had wind gusts of 40 mph yesterday. DH tried to play in a golf tournament. It did not go as well as he would have liked.

I survived my Friday with my 3 grandsons. They were here from 8 AM until 6! We went to see "Captain Underpants" had lunch at Subway and then hit the pool for a few hours. It was a great day but I know why God doesn't let old women have babies. I'm not sure who was more tired

mrrun

jay and ksa - congrats on your awards

5.5 paperbag miles in HHH (and this was at 7 am)

mta: jlynne snuck in while i was typing - about grandkids - i'm always more tired altho mine sleep well when they visit because i physically exhaust them (running/biking/walking, etc.

Thanks, all.  Turns out I won Senior Grand Masters so I get some other award.  Traveling home today.

1.2 sore miles this morning for The Streak at the beautiful Cumberland Gap National Park campground which is all up and down. Now 5 hours in the truck.

i highly recommend the Hoka recovery sandals.  I live in them when I'm not at work.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Henrun

4 miles of walking/running in the early am heat. I was still wiped out from a 9 mile bike ride yesterday.

Congrats to KSA and Jay. Market Sq. Day 10K was one of the first races I ran (over 40 years ago)-it was a 10 miler then. Now I can't even run a 10k-but I have hopes

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Add my congratulations to Jay and KSA. Well done. Smile

Today's 5 miles were reasonably better than yesterday. I am finding it hard to get used to the heat. Slowly but surely.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Congrats to Jay and KSA!

Henry - You'll get there again.

JLynne - You made me .  Suffice to say, I wouldn't know about the kid thing - young or old.

My sympathies to SteveP at the loss of his hero - Batman.

The company that manages our network was upgrading our system Friday evening through Saturday.  I came in today, Sunday, to work since I'll be gone a lot over the next 4 weeks and a bunch of files in the P drive are now missing.  *sigh*  Our computer manager is trying to find out what the problem is, but it took me about half an hour of searching for something not under a specific client folder before I realized folders were actually missing.  It wasn't until I tried to save an email that I was like. "What the what??"   Thankfully, most of what I need to work on is in the F drive.

It's beautiful here today.  Too bad I'll be spending it indoors. 

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

catwhoorg

Labrat

12.5 miles total

7x1200 VO2max intervals

That workout is finally getting to the point where it doesn't totally suck at the end.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - well done!

Leslie - I hope the shot works for you.

DH and I watched Shimmer Lake on Netflix last night, which I thought was pretty good.  If you liked Fargo, you will probably like Shimmer Lake.

8.8 miles for me today in 75-80 degrees and brilliant sun.  My own fault - I should have gotten up earlier.  Then 2 hours weeding the garden and flower beds before I gave up and headed for the shower.  My those weeds grow fast!

Now some home care puttering and working on the computer for a couple of hours on some new cases before I start dinner and pack my lunch for tomorrow.  How quickly the weekend flies by....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I have no running, this morning, but I do have a fairly eventful morning to report.

While driving to church, a sudden thunderstorm flared up with strong winds, heavy rain, and lighting.  We drove by two runners so we pulled over and asked if they wanted a ride...of course they did.  As soon as they got in the car, hail came down...some the size of golf balls...and they just kept coming.  After we dropped them off, I went under a gas station canopy to see what kind of damage there was and found a few dents and a chip in the windshield.

This was Confirmation Sunday and I had prepared a little skit for the confirmands, another adult, and myself.  When it came time to do it, the other adult wasn't in the sanctuary.  I had to get up and go find him.  He was in the kitchen cutting bars for the reception afterward.  Then, one of the microphones one of the girls had was going bonkers, so it was real mess.

Just as I was done eating at the reception, I got a call from Eric.  He needed a ride back to where he left his (my) car.  (That's another long story in itself)  So, I left the church to go get him.  And--like the idiot that I am--I  told him to follow me to a gas station so I could fill up his tank because I didn't want to have to get another call from him telling me he had run out of gas.  When he pulled in the pump, he left about 2 inches between the pump and the car.  I went ahead and dealt with it an filled up his tank.  Before leaving, I pointed out how close he was to the pumps and told him he needed to be really careful when he pulled away.  And, of course, he made his turn too soon, ran over two steel guard posts in the driveway and scraped a large strip of metal right off the bottom of the car.  I just picked it up and threw it in the dumpster and told him to go home.

When I finally got home, I took a quick walk around our house to see if there was any damage from the storm...yep--at least 3 pieces of siding are broken in the back of the house.  I haven't even been on the roof, yet.

And now...I get to drive an hour to sit through another 3 hour dance recital.  Somebody, please, just shoot me.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

{{Mike}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

{{{MikeE!!!}}}  When it rains . . . well, it hails.  Big frigging hail stones.  Be sure to take care of you.

We watched a movie the other day called "Desierto" about immigrants trying to cross into the US through harsh terrain along the US-Mexico border.  Had never heard of it before.  I really like it.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Mike--there was this guy, Job.  Ever heard of him?  He says "Boy I thought I had it bad".  You're a better man than me--fetal position all the way after that day.

3.8 miles this morning, in theory before the real heat.  Still almost 80 by the time I got back.  A prime example of how I have little clue about real pace.  Friday I did 3.1 and thought I was going at a pretty good clip, figured low 9's--9:31 m/m.  Today, I thought I was plodding in the heat, going a little farther, lucky if I made 10m/m-- 9:36 pace.

Nice racing for Jay and KSA.  Does senior grand master mean men and women of a certain age?

Interesting article in the Globe today about someone who has developed a line of Women's running shirts that have "You've been Chicked" on the back.  Apparently some folks (read men) with no sense of humor are taking offense.  Someone else was quoted as saying "You've been Mastered" as he passed people, but that just doesn't roll off the tongue.  I'd do a "You've been passed by a 60 YO, but not too many people would see it.   https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2017/06/09/powerful-message-behind-getting-chicked/M6RnnALDIhMDDMMapAD9HM/story.html

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good race, Jay!    Oh, Mike- what a day!  So sorry about all that.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mike E you poor guy! Just a horrible set of events.

coastwalker congratulations on the RW award!

Jlynne my dad loved golf and did not mind the heat. He would be out in the middle of the Florida summer at high noon playing.

fatozzig gotta love IT issues! 

stumpy77 I think the entire country has lost its sense of humor about everything these days.  Too many people looking to take offense about whatever they can find handy.

RunnerKSA congratulations on the AG and perhaps other awards yesterday.

Holly S. that robin sounds like a problem. I do not suppose you would think of a cat as a possible solution? 

evanflein only on an RA forum like this would the words cut back and 45 miles in a week get used together. How are the flower beds going?

Put in my first run since the marathon today. A 6 miler. Beautiful weather for it! Finally we are in the 70's with sun!!!! I love stepping out of the door and feeling warm. Later on I want to the garden center and picked up a few plants. The trip to Ireland interfered with getting my planters set up for the summer. (Yes, I know I will get just tons of sympathy for having this terrible, terrible problem.) At this point I now have the planters about a third finished. I try to do this slowly over a few weeks. That way I get a pretty good variety of things.when I am done. Yes, "things" is my technical term for plant as I have no idea what I put in. I just buy stuff that looks like it might look good somewhere on the deck.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/