Masters Running

Tuesday Is It Really Back to School Time Runs (Read 399 times)

Wakey wakey everyone. A glorious morning here in Wisconsin. The front with all of the storms and humid weather passed through last night and it's perfect for running right now. Up at 4:30 in the dark (back to headlamps and reflective clothes) for 4 quick miles before I head off to school this morning. The kids pick up their schedules and books today with the freshmen starting next Monday and the upper classmen on Wednesday. Where did summer go?

Have a great Tuesday, good people.

MTA Happy belated anniversary, Mariposai!

Tramps

Isn't it early for school already?  Whatever happened to the week after Labor Day?

Some tempo miles today, with lots of accomodations for the H&H and my lack of conditioning:

1.1 mile warm-up

2 @ 7:28

0.6 mile jog/walk up hill

2 @ 7:32

1.6 mile jog/cool-down

Heat's supposed to ease up tomorrow, which will be nice.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I awoke the the clock flashing again, so I had no idea what time it was .... needless to say it was to late for a run this morning.   Rumor has it, we will be without power for 6-7 days and the generator can only handle so much.   Looks like a trip to the laundromat will be on the agenda soon.    Hand washing all the dishes this morning was kind of a drag too. 

Had my biopsy yesterday and she has requested the results back by tomorrow as Thursday I have to go in for a little unexpected out-patient surgery.    If the biopsy shows anything, then maybe it'll all get taken care of at once.   Hopefully I will get out for a run tomorrow and/or tonight because I will then be sidelined until next week again.   Good thing I decided not to train for anything major this year - sheesh!

Happy 24th Anniversary Mariposai!!   That was a very sweet card your sons gave you.

Nice 4 miler JLynne!   It was a beautiful morning for a run.

Good job on the tempo miles Tramps. 

Happy 2's-Day!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Morning, gang!

Jlynne - I'm so glad someone has perfect running weather this morning!  DH and I both noted the leaves already falling on the trail - summer can't really be over, can it??

Mariposai - another belated happy anniversary!

We had thunderstorms go through last night as well, but they didn't do diddly squat to the heat and humidity.  73 degrees at the track this morning with an intermittent breeze off the Thames River.  3 x 1 mile repeats @ 8:41 pace with .5 mile jogs in between were on the schedule.  I ended up with 2 mile warmup, 2 X 1 mile repeats (8:43 and 8:40) and 2.5 miles at a comfortably hard pace;  overall 9:39 pace with 159 AHR.  I have a race Thursday night, so I didn't feel compelled to beat myself up to do the last mile repeat. 

Looking forward to my lunchtime yoga class.

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Good Morning all,

Track Tuesday for me as well (Hi Sue!)  Ran 3 miles to the track at an easy and relaxed pace at 6:00 am (trying to beat the sun before it got too high over the tree line at the track) then 4 x 1 mile repeats---6:55, 6:50, 6:53, 6:53 and 1:30 shuffle jogs for the rest intervals. Ran back home (uphill...bleh) 3 miles---11 miles total and drenched in sweat. T-storms last night didn't knock out the humidity here either, but I am pumped about the workout and happy it's over!

Good Luck to you Mary----fibroids and misbehaving endometrial cancer cells led to surgery and such years ago for me. I am not sure what you are dealing with, but I hope the results and outcome will be good and give you relief. I'll be thinking of you.

Happy belated anniversary Maraposai. What a great family you have. It's 18 years for me and Mr. CNYrunner today.

JLynne----too early for school, but alas, even here in Massachusetts, the kiddos will be back in school before Labor Day.

I am going to volunteer to pick up the kiddo from hockey camp today so I can sit at the rink with mittens on!  

Renee the dog

I awoke the the clock flashing again, so I had no idea what time it was ....

Yeah me too this morning.  First time ever in this house, and with all the strong storms we've had, that's sort of amazing.

dg -- no rest yesterday because I was planning ahead and ran my upcoming Saturday run yesterday...so that today can be a rest day!  (Just working around Bayside's travel schedule. Tuesday's run goes to tomorrow, Wed's to Thurs, slideboarding to Sat., and Friday's and Sunday's stay where they are.)  Got that??!!!  No?  That's OK.  Net result: I can avoid the TM the entire week!!

Happy Anniversary CNY & Mariposai!

Also, belated congrats to Craneium on his Masters! (Meant to type that several times and kept forgetting.  Luckily, this being the Masters' section, I should have folks who understand this swiss cheese memory of mine).

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Slo

CNY.....One word.....Awesome.....Oh what the hell.......Make that  Friggin Awesome ! Great workout !

This morning I did a 2.5 mile wu followed by 2.37 mi (17 mins @ 7:17).......  1/2 mi recovery.....another 2.39 mi (17 mins @ 7:21).....and brought another 2.38 miles @ 8:06 pace.....not quite a cool down but I have a hard time with easier paces after tempo runs.

Mary......Hoping your not with out power for too long. And a speedy recovery !

Happy Aniversary Mariposai and CNY.....A big congrats in todays society.

Our school year is starting a week earlier too. We had to reschedule our vacation because of it. I haven't looked to see if we wrap up any earlier.....I suspect though that they lengthend the Christmas and spring break vacations.

Happy running to everyone !

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

DW mentioned yesterday that this is the first time nobody in the family is going back to school since like forever.

Tramps... how did you do those tempo miles in this humidity?  Nice job!

8 smothering, not fun lead legged miles in 1:15:38 (9:27) Finished drenched, drained and knee acting up.  Bad start to the day.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

originally posted by mariposai: 8/10/2009 at 7:54 PM

I had a very interesting weekend and survived to tell the story some day.
                    2 very slow miles to test the heart plus 1 hour yoga.  

kekkon kinnen omedetou gozaimasu chocho-sans and cynie's too.

hope you didn't end up all day interpreting in the hospital

sounds like your heart's fine though.

praying my new Alaska buddy'll  be fine too hopeful.

ps - did nono say where/why/when you-know-what went back on?

Where's Mr. Pink, otherwise, I'm taking mine off too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Happy 24 Mariposai!

dg.  I have heard of cooking nearly everything but tofu in a smoker!  Not sure how it would turn out.  Not sure I want to find out either!

fatozzig happy to help you and your DH eat some of the meats he smokes if you happen to need any help!    I thought the ribs at 4 hours took a long time, but brisket is 15 hours!  Wow!

Tramps school is not on everywhere.  Here in my town the kids are off until after Labor Day.

hopeful4ever good luck with getting an all clear on the biopsy.  I will keep my fingers crossed.

SueT48 I am not sure what it was like where you are, but here it was a pretty spectacular light show out last night!  Never thought I would say that about lightening but it was pretty impressive to watch.

CNYrunner as always another amazing workout!

SLO_HAND nice workout for you too.

I got a nice surprise yesterday.  I did somebody a favor and he asked if he could do something for me I suggested he just pay it forward.  He decided to get me a bottle of one of my favorite scotchs!  (Auchentoshan Three Wood for the curious.)  Rather than have him ship it I will collect it when I go down to Houston for the marathon this January. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Wow, pretty busy in here so early in the morning.

Nice speedwork Tramps, Sue, CNYrunner (extra WOW), and SLO!!  Very impressive considering the H&H going on all around.

Happy anniversary to Mari & CNY!!

{{{T&Ps Mary}}}

Did a couple of 1/2 mi repeats @ tempo pace (7:28 & 7:25) just to get in some faster than easy/general pace.  I'm still going to try to keep it in check for one more week before adding back more true speedwork.  So overall 3.2 mi (8:26).

Niece and her 1 yr old son are coming tomorrow to stay with us for a week.  Should be fun/busy with an 8 mo old, a 1 3/4 and 2 1/2 y.o. in the house.

dg, thanks for asking, I'm fine, it's still a little sore and bruised but it looks like it's going to heal nicely.

Happy Twosdays runs all

Amie

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne – my kids start next Wednesday as well.

{{{quick-healing vibes for Mary}}}

Mariposai and CNYrunner – Happy Anniversary to both!

Tramps - speedy in spite of the H&H!

Nono - nice schedule juggling there....

I got up my nerve and hopped on the scale this morning to see what the vacation damage was – 4.5 lbs!  In one week!    And I was trying to be careful.  On someone my size, that’s a LOT....no wonder my running is so sluggish.  That kind of sudden weight gain is like carrying a sack of sugar while I run.....

Interval day today.  It was 74° and 97% when I headed out, and by the second interval I was dying – my tech shirt felt like a blanket and you could fry an egg on my face.  This isn’t the first day running in H&H, don’t know why it felt worse today, but I finally gave up and, in spite of the constant traffic on the road next to my path, I did something I don’t normally do.  I took my shirt off.   

Several cars honked, but I didn’t care – I was more HOT than timid...and I did have a sports bra on, after all.....

Workout: 9.35 miles, including 6 x 800 with 90-second recoveries:

2.88 mile WU @ 10:09

3:43    (7:29)

3:40    (7:24) 

3:45    (7:33)

3:40    (7:24) 

3:44    (7:31)

3:44    (7:31)

3.01 mile CD @ 10:14

Another crazy day at work here, so back to the grind...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

in spite of the constant traffic on the road next to my path, I did something I don’t normally do.  I took my shirt off.   

Another thread that's useless without pictures.  Maybe we could get you and Nono to run together  And that's still a VERY impressive workout for being fried after the 2nd.

Wow--I can't belive how early schools are starting.  For the first time in about 18 years, we have no one to wake up and get to school.  Today DD is now off to UCLA for 3 days of orientation, she heads back (with DW and I) mid SEpt to actually start school.    We'll be partial empty nesters--DS is home, but we don't have to do much for him.  Ought to be interesting.

Happy anniversaries to CNY (pronounced Karin  ) and Mari. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

School is starting a bit earlier for us too. Normally, it is the Tuesday after Labor Day, but this year we are starting on 8/31. For some reason, having school start in August, even if it is the last day of August, just makes summer seem so much shorter.  My son though is SOOOO ready for school to start. He loves school. To make up for starting early, they are getting the whole week off at Thanksgiving time and then one Friday a month, they have a two hour late start, which really is dumb in my opinion. They are at school for about 4 hrs then and it just messes up our normal morning routine of me dropping him off at school on my way into work.

Happy Belated Anniversary to Nancy and Paul!  Those were lovely sentiments your son wrote in your card.

Happy Anniversary to Karin also!

I'll get in a run tonight after it cools down - so probably around 8 p.m. or so.

Tammy

Mariposai

Thanks for the anniversary wishes my dear friends. 24 years is a long time, but yet is such a short time considering how young we both are. I also liked the words written by our boys. Who knew that they were so romantic..humm I wonder where they learn that from?

It is so much fun to see the miles we had covered in RAland  just today. It would be fun to add them up tonight to see how far we went. We are one awesome bunch of old folks.

8 miles for me today with 3 at tempo. It was cooler, around 68F, almost IRC, except the smoke in the air is still bad.

Erika how are the forest fires in your neck of the woods? Hey, congrats again for your first place win. you rockkkkk sistahhhhhhh

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard