Masters Running

Sunday 21 Feb - Master's thread (Read 443 times)

What's going on?  I haven't started a thread since the CR days.

fatozzig, nice ultra and great job pacing and helping your friend.

Nice long runs for mariposai (fast 20), Tammy, Aamos, and evan (slip slidin')

This morning, I got in 6 miles in about 57:30 for a 9:35 pace.  I had negative splits by over a minute and almost a progression run.  The second mile was slower than the first but after that they got progressively faster.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Nice run Tom!

Only 5.3 for me, but after yesterday's 9.5 it was a slow go.  A beautiful day ahead in 

Tennessee!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Welcome back Tom and nice 6 miler today!!

I also was out for 6 miles, but mine kind of sucked ... as in winded.   My HR is high and I can't seem to run very far, not even going slow.   So when it'd get up to 175 I'd walk unti it was at least 160 and then over, and over and over again.   Ah well, I got it done.

I have to say I'm starting to worry about JLynne......

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good Afternoon Everyone,

6 easy miles for DW & I also this morning (59:50) like Tom also a progression type run

Beautiful sunny morning with blue skies & clear roads but wintery mix forecast tonight & tomorrow

35 days to high school baseball season

Miles & Smiles

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Tramps

Perch—shuffleboard on ice, NOT a sport. Check.

Stumpy—yeah, I’m having a tough time keeping sailing out.  Maybe gravity is okay, but not wind?  We don’t want to open the door to Olympic hang-gliding. 

Holly—you’re not complaining about being too small for the clothes they sell are you?  I hear an angry mob heading your way.

Enke—granted, not all gymnastics are the same and I’m open to calling those that are based on set points for certain moves a sport.  That dancing stuff with long ribbons, though, definitely not a sport. 

fussy—I’m glad somebody finally recognizes that I’m right.  Would you mind have a chat about this with my DW?

Mari—Great run yesterday!  And you stumped me.  What’s a “Pte.” ?

Sue—2 hrs elliptical, 1.5 hrs on TM?  Wow!  That’s some persistence.  Nice job.

Tammy—okay, we’re friends again…cuz you had long pants and I ran in shorts today!

Aamos—yes, definitely snow running takes its toll.  I’m in awe of all of you who do it often.

Leslie—Awesome running again.  Karen’s meltdown is one of the many reasons I never see myself doing ultras, especially in those conditions.  Good of you to stick with her.  You need to make a little sign to hold up: “I’m okay…really.”  BTW, I immediately thought of your mud on today’s run (see below).

Erika—those slippy runs are tough; great job!

Tom—it’s about time you pull your weight around here by starting a daily.    Nice race yesterday!

IRC today--nearly 30F at the start--so I went with shorts and no hat.  Sweet!  I did an easy but hilly 10 miles @ 8:20 plus a flat but MP-ish 10 miles @ 7:39.  I knew I was good and tired because when I tried for a fast finish last mile (with a sub-7 in mind) I could only manage a 7:23; the legs were not going any faster.  A good run where I got into a Podrunner groove during the MP miles, went to that quiet place mentally, and just cruised on auto-pilot hitting every mile within about a 10-second window.

Funny (in retrospect) moment: At one point, I did a short cut-through on a dirt road where they’re building a new house.  Unfortunately, the heavy construction equipment had completely torn up the road, so it was covered in huge foot-deep ruts which—by the time I got there—had thawed and were just soft mud.  Plus, inexplicably, they had laid out some roofing trusses right on the road; the only way to get past was to high-step through them—sort of like those drills football players do.  So all of a sudden, in the middle of my run, I’m high-stepping through roof trusses, listening to the sucking mud sounds and hoping my damn shoes stay on!  When I was done, I had a nice coat of shiny brown mud up to my socks.

Be safe. Be kind.

Hi all.  Tramps does such a good job of recapping for those of us who just don't get here regularly enough anymore.

As I mentioned last Sunday, our running club helped out the Frederick Marathon organizers this morning by volunteering at a supported training run.  I did 10 miles with a few of the trainees running about my pace (actually I slowed it down some for them), then I kept going and ran another 9 for a total of 19.   WRFB, nursing an injury, manned the water stop.  The course had about 20 turns, so I was pretty focused on not getting my little group lost as I clutched my turn-by-turn directions and map.  So much pressure!

The roads are finally clearing out around here, though we're still deaiing with the melting-refreezing puddles.   Please - no more snow!  We're more than ready for spring.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Good Sunday afternoon to all of you!!

TomS - excellent kickoff for the Sunday thread - good job on the negative splits!!

Leslie - glad you and Karin survived the shoe-sucking mud!

Thanks, Tramps!  BTW - below 30 degrees just isn't shorts weather - makes me cold just thinking about it. 

PDR - nice mentoring run and great long run!  Love the avatar - what a gorgeous baby!!

DH and I slept in this morning - didn't realize until after 8:00 that it was getting colder and colder in the house in spite of the furnace running.  The furnace guy talked DH through some diagnostics until decided he would have to come out to the house this aftenoon.  Thank goodness the sun is out today and we have a gas fireplace, so we aren't cold.  

A doe is in process of fawning right under my kitchen window.  Ahh, the wonders of Mother Nature!

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Sunday all--must still be a lot of folks out on the road.

Tried about a 1/2 mile on the TM this morning and quickly decided that my foot was still not comfortable enough, so onto the elliptical for 45 minutes. got the HR up to high 140's.   I can work up a good sweat but still not sure how much work I'm really getting in.  the legs sure felt rubbery afterwards 

A question for the ellipti-fiends (Sue?)--I have been setting the ramp on 15 and the resistance on 10 and try to keep the strides/minute about 110.  i also do reverse for a couple of minutes every 10.  Is this a decent setting?  Or is there a better way to get a work out resembling running?

Only one probelm with you starting , Tom--no recap   But a nice progression today.

Nice long runs, Tramps and PDR. 

Tramps--gravity is good, but would it lead to Olympic bungee jumping?

mary--hope the HR comes down.  Are you coming down with something?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I Can Go The Distance

Good Afternoon (Morning to those here on the West Coast) Everyone,

Great runs by everyone today. Some really nice long runs today and yesterday, Mari, Holly, Tramps and PDR.

Leslie: When I woke up yesterday morning, and it was raining here in SOCAL, I thought about you and knew that you would be running in the mud. You did great just to finish. Sorry to hear that Karen had such a bad experience. You are a really good friend to stay with her, knowing you could have gone faster.

IRC for me this morning; 54F, sunny and just a gentle breeze to keep me cool. I did 17 miles in 2:50:52 a 10:04/mi pace. No MP miles for this run, I am doing them every other week. 17 is as long a run as I have done since I started back running in 2002. The only other time I can remember running that far was when I was training for my last marathon 26 yrs. ago.

I set up a 5 mile loop beginning and ending at my house, using it for an aide station. The last time around, I went over to the local HS and did the last two miles there. I felt really strong through the whole workout. I am finally starting to believe that I can in fact do this marathon! I know that I can finish anyway.

Have a great day everyone,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Marathon Maniac #957

TomS – thanks for starting us out so nicely…

Tramps – being too short for everything is not the same as being too thin…..and I have definitely noticed a trend in women't clothing called Vanity Sizing, wherein they are making the clothes bigger.  A size 4 today is not the same as it was 10 years ago.

Aamos – re tensing your muscles – yes, totally, I agree.

Leslie – 50K – heck of a training run for you!  Sticking it out with your friend leaves a more lasting impression on the world than a better race time – kudos to you for helping her through it!

Erika – that’s a superb pace for a 10-miler, even on dry ground!  How you manage it with the slippery stuff, I have no idea.  I can never seem to manage anything faster than 10Tight lippedx if the surface is even slightly snow or ice-covered.  And as for MP, I do the same thing.  Since my two best marathons were of a MP around 8:4X, I aim for that, too.  Since I generally don’t race in the winter (and don’t run for $hit in the cold anyway), I really have no idea what my MP should be for spring marathons.

PDR – supported training runs – how cool!  And I bet watching the map helped the time fly by.

Sue – a doe fawning?  Already?  Isn’t it too early for that?

BCMorant – very nice 17-miler!  Even though I’m hating you slightly for keeping all that lovely weather over on your side of the country and not sharing it.

34° this morning felt pretty nice, actually.  Today should have been a short recovery run, but I pushed my tired legs farther just because I was so happy to be outside in the relatively warm temps.

9.25 slowish miles (ave pace 10:31), followed by weighted squats, dead lifts, weighted duck squats, and 52 push-ups (15+15+22).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I Can Go The Distance

Holly,

Not that I am a math wiz by any means (I became a writer because they said there would be no math) but doesn't 15+15+21 equal 51? BTW you will be glad to hear there is more rain coming to SOCAL tomorrow.

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Bruce, congrats on the first 17miler in 26  years!!!  Some other nice long runs.  I really am in awe.  It is hard for me to imagine running more than 10 miles right now.

Leslie, way to go helping Karen out and sounds like your back behaved itself.

I was supposed to do 8 miles, but I pooped out after 5.  I had gone back to the car at 5 and I was just plain tired.  Additionally, and don't t throw eggs at me, but I was tired of running in the direct sun for that whole time and couldn't figure out a way to do 3 more miles without a lot more sun.  I I forgot my sunglasses and hat too.  And it was high noon and temps into the 50s.  Perversely, there was frost in the shade.  Perfect running weather if you like the sun, which I guess I just don't.

Maybe I should go out at 4pm when it is supposed to be 57! to finish up those 3 miles.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Bruce - too funny!  I had gone upstairs to do something and the same thought hit me.  I came back to the computer to correct that, hoping no one saw it yet.  Oops...

Enke - a hat helps, but I, too, don't really like running in direct sunlight because I am so accustomed to the early morning darkness.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Thanks for starting us off TomS!!!

Mary, you've got a good heart, regardless of the rate in which it's beating.

Your run sounds like fun Tramps...As long as DW never found out about the mud..

PDR has my vote for kewl avatar.

Bruce...I think you can...I think you can....

Tag and I put in 6.2 miles. We pretend we were in a 10K. He set a PB in rolling in Heaven knows what. I took 2nd O/A..There were some tracks out there that I could not identify. What ever made them was larger than 70lbs and the nails have never been trimmed.  Not at all shaped like a domestic dog's.

SteveP

Hi friends - sorry i havent been posting much!!   A lot going on here with trying to squeeze in Bikram yoga a few times a week too -- once i get thru this month of unlimited visits i might cut back to 1x/week - right now trying to do 2-3 x/week but it's a huge commitment with a 20-25 minute drive to get there, 90 minute class, shower and drive home.  I do love the feeling tho - hope it eventually helps my back but today was not proof yet..........time grasshopper!!

Tramps and Holly - thanks for the summaries -- i love reading back on what ive missed but then cant remember what i want to reply on but i must say Bill you are getting to be one speedy dude!!

So, today the highlight of my day was meeting Jay/Coastwalker at the Half at Hampton!!  Such a nice guy and it was a pleasure meeting him!!

The race - not so great for me.  The course is absolutely beautiful, well marked and very well run aid stations right where  they said the would be.  Only problem with the day was my body -- just didn't have it and i knew by mile 4 it wasnt going to be my day.  I will try to post a RR later but the short of it is official time 2:14:20 - almost a PW but i have one half marathon slower than that which i ran after having a stomach bug that week.  Then to top it off I messed up twice driving home and took me waaaaaaaaaay longer than it should have - lol!!

I do have a pic of Jay and I that I posted on Facebook but as usual my computer illiterate self forgets how to do it here --- i have it saved in an e-mail and on my computer but do i need to have it on a picture website to get it to post here?

As always, even tho it wasnt my day I remain grateful for the gift of being able to run and the so many wonderful people it has brought into my life!!

denise