Masters Running

Tuesday, March 30 Runs (Read 539 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Morning gang!

Brinkley and I were out for 3.5 miles under the full bright moon this morning.    Avg. pace was 9:56 with the first mile around 10:15 and the rest at 9:42.   Yea!    My legs still feel sort of dead, but I made them keep moving.

I'll BBL to catch up on all the great running and racing reports.  

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

After that rainy cool front went through yesterday, it's cleared up nicely here, if quite breezy.  The moon was full and clear this morning also Mary.

4 easy miles at 9:56 pace.  Just wanted to loosen the legs up and get in some filler miles.  A nice cool 56° this morning with a good breeze out of the west.  We won't have many more or these from here on out.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning Mary and Byll and all to follow.

2.3 miles on the TM this morning in deference to the rain that has left Byll and is now pounding us for the next day or so.  I'm in the process of getting an ear infection and have an awful feeling that DW's cold may have finally caught up with me on top of it.  Wanted to do at least 3, but just didn't feel good.  Didn't think I ran that hard on Sunday, but yoga also kicked my butt last night, too.  Hope I started the ear drops before it really gets going.

Good runs and days to everyone.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Good morning.

Stumpy--hope you're feeling better soon.

I got my Boston information booklet in the mail.  If I’m not mistaken, the guy featured on the cover photo is wearing the same Richmond Marathon shirt that Perch has on in his avatar.  That’s got to be a good omen, right? 

10.3 mile PBJ (7:17) sandwich.  38F IRC.

ETA: DW has signed up for her next sprint tri.  That didn't take long!  Thanks for the nice comments yesterday, I passed them along.  And Mari, those flowers were great; she got those, too. Here's a pic right after the dismount, walking her bike into the transition.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good morning good people. That full moon was really bright here as well, and it's nice that I'm not running in total blackness at 5:00 AM any more.

Hey Mary - ran by a house this morning with a BIG Michigan Spartan's banner hanging from the front porch and thought of you. I really like Tom Izzo and it's always great to see a Big 10 school in the Final Four. Good luck!  Way to make those legs move this morning. You're probably still exhausted from the puppies' arrival. Your sproink will come back.

Speaking of sproink, don't think Bill ever lost his.  How long before your temps start to heat up for the summer? Do you have your "wardrobe" assembled for Boston yet?

((( Kevin ))) There's nothing more miserable than a bad cold. Well, maybe a bad cold AND an ear infection. Sounds like some R&R is on tap for you today. Take care of yourself.

7.9 miles for me this morning, 9:21 pace, 32° temps. Love running in capris again. I talked to one of the trainers at school. He doesn't think it's PF because it's more in the arch of my foot and it doesn't hurt more when I first get up in the morning. Suggested retiring my shoes (350+ miles) and/or getting fitted for an orthodic. I've been trying hard to stretch and ice my foot after I run but I gotta stay on top of this - half marathon coming up in May.

ETA  Mr. Spareribs - you rock!! Nice AG finish. What a comeback from where you were health-wise a little over a year ago. The running can only get better.

Mrs. Tramps had a stellar performance in her tri. Two athletes in one family - where WILL you put all the medals and ribbons?

Morning, all. Stumpy, I hope the cold symptoms are just a false alarm. Nice show of family athleticism, Tramps and DW! And that was a decent pace there, Mary. Lynne, sometimes I miss those early AM runs, but I'm not sure I could get back into that routine. I'm not sure I know where my headlamp is any more.

Ran a nice 5 this morning under clear, sunny skies with temps in the low 30s, but plenty warm with all that sunshine. I've got a busy few days coming up with things to do and a short vacation next week, so might not get much running in for a while.

Good running, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Speaking of sproink, don't think Bill ever lost his.  How long before your temps start to heat up for the summer? Do you have your "wardrobe" assembled for Boston yet?

Tinman hasn't been giving much mileage per week so I don't normally get tired or worn out.  He stresses two big Quality workouts per week and running every other day really easy.

Our temps get warm in May and stay there through October.  The rainy season usually starts about the 3rd week of May.  That takes the humidity way up and that's what really knocks the minutes off the pace chart.

I usually save all the race preparations for taper time.  And I still have a final LR this weekend.  But No.  I have no clue what I'm wearing, bringing, or what pace to run at.  (Sounds like I'm in Taper Madness already!)

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mariposai

Look at Mrs. Tramps!!!!!! she looks fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the pictures Mr. Tramps. I am glad to hear that she is hooked in to doing tris....watch out...before we know it she is going to be training for a Hal Marathon.

Oh, speaking about Half marathon, did our lovely Mrs. twocat ran her looonggg training run this past weekend? I am sorry, I was so busy this past weekend that I did not keep track of my gals, being their cheerleader is so rewarding!

Resting my wings today. I am tired. I think my body is still reminding me that we just ran 23 miles on Sunday. It is a good thing that it is taper time.

Hi Rochrunner, it is so good to see you around here. Great running lately.

Byll, I like the Tinman approach to training, isn't it funny that he moved away from the general idea that more miles is better for speed, but yet he is making you speedier by the day!

This morning I walked up the hill to visit the lovely apricot orchard, which is in full bloom now. Half way up the hill I met Craig, an older gentleman who was a participant in the winter wellness program I led two winters ago. Anyway, Craig is one of my success story, he took my teaching by heart; he started exercising and he modified his diet. Now he is over 100 pounds lighter. He is planning to run the Bloomsday race in Spokane in May and he is off his blood pressure med and he no longer needs insulin. He has changed so much I almost did not recognized him.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Nice run Mary. My legs are still a little dead today too.

Stumpy, hope you feel better soon. I just got over a cold 10 days ago and now everyone in my office is sick and my kids are getting it. And Boston is 19 days, 23 hours and 34 minutes away (but who's counting?)

3 God-awful, tortuous miles on the dreadmill this morning due to the torrential rain and huge puddles everywhere. Ankle and foot were achy. Will be soaking in a bucket of ice water tonight.

Good runs everyone and may your basement be dry and your roof solid.

Marathon Maniac #957

Mary – very sproinky pace for dead legs!

{{{Kevin’s ear}}}

Jlynne – nice sproinky pace for you today as well!  As for the shoes/orthotics, after listening to Born To Run, I think I’m talked out of ever considering orthotics.  I'm even thinking of running barefoot a little at the golf course when it warms up....

Mrs. Tramps looks great!

Spareribs – 2nd AG – you are rocking even when you take it easy on us!

Mariposai – it doesn’t surprise me at all that you are inspiring!

8.1 miles for me today in 32° under a bright moon, with four miles in the middle at (8:46, 8:51, 8:37, 8:39), followed by lunges, bench step-ups, squats, 50 push-ups, and three 30-second wall-sits.

I got my Boston packet, too.  I really like the participant shirt!

Tomorrow I get to run with Karin!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Morning, gang!

Mary - Hailey looks forlorn in her picture - "don't leave me alone with all these kids!"  Be thankful you have a moon. We're loading the Ark today at noon. 

{{{{{Stumpy}}}}} - feel better, OK?

Jeanne - good to hear it isn't PF - that can be so tough to deal with. Hope new shoes will do the trick for you.

PBJ - the hardware store is about as far east as I usually go on the trail.  I hate that area around mile 5 - would be nice to have a load of gravel put down there.  I'm not looking foward to that area next weekend - given the abundance of rain we've been having around here.

Mariposai - you should be very proud of your success story - that is terrific, and thanks for sharing!

6 miles on the TM this morning @ 11:18 and 136 AHR.   I'm getting ready to break for yoga and looking foward to shivasana. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Byll, I like the Tinman approach to training, isn't it funny that he moved away from the general idea that more miles is better for speed, but yet he is making you speedier by the day!

Oh he believes in mileage alright.  Just not for Old Guys like me I think.

One of the first emails he ever sent me talked about near-elite runners getting really good once they started doing Doubles with mostly easy, slow miles.  I about choked when I read that one thinking he was going to double me up.  But I suspect he's tailored my training to keep me Uninjured and Fresh.

Bill

dg.

Good Morning!

Nice moony Brinkley run Mary!    We should run together.  That's more or less what I was doing pace-wise, long long ago....  ;-).     

Bill were there really ducks swimming in your yard?  

(((Kevin)))... that doesn't sound like any fun at all.   get better!

Nice sammich Tramps.   Congratulations to your DW!   I'm so glad it went well for her!   Vey cool she's signed up again already.   Wow, I am impressed.   I'm not tempted to even try it.   Thanks for the picture! 

Jeanne I hope your foot's ok.   I meant to look in a book that I have but I forgot.   I'll do it later.  

Hey Doug today you get a new bike?     You should post a picture.   btw, in my attempts to get caught up around here I noticed again the 5K you mentioned a few days ago.   It sounded really fast to me, esp. after the week you had!  

Nancy, I'm so sorry about the date change for the graduation!

Ribs, congratulations on your AG placement!!      I'm very happy to read you're ok with your marathon time.... of course you should be, but you can be tough on yourself.    Next time I'll send you the same advice you sent to me.    Start out slow!   ;-).            Nice to have you around a little more.

I forget what else I was going to say.  Oh well.

Holly, how's the tile project?

Sue, how's your foot?

Enke, funny.   Did you get any odd looks?

I've been doing little bits of this & that.... I was sort of bouncing around this morning.   almost a running in place but not quite.   I'm doing whatever exercises I think I can get away with.  It hasn't been much but it's better than nothing!  Later today I see the surgeon for a followup,

mta... (somehow I missed a lot of posts)  Nancy what a story that is about Craig!   I bet that makes your heart sing!

King of PhotoShop

Oh you guys!  For  heaven's sake, I ran 4:33 and there were only 3 people in the AG.  If I had run the race I thought I could run I would have won the AG by a ton.

Yes Bill, that is exactly what Tinman did for you, creating a routine that works.  But I still maintain that for Masters runners, two big workouts a week is just right and all your other days you run easy.

One mile elliptical and one mile walking with Lucy, and  a good stretch. Only part of me that is sore and tired are my quads of course, just like any beginner. Can't wait til they loosen up as I would like to jog a bit this week.  Spareribs

Lots of happy news--way to run, Ribs!   And  for all the Tramps team!

Mari--lovely about Craig; success stories are always appreciated.

Get well (and dry) soon, Kevin.   You and henrun and marg and Karin, et al, -- chase the rain away so we'll be able to enjoy some good weather in a few weeks, please?

grins,

A

ps Sunday's long run for me was a good lesson--I wasn't as careful as I should have been in mixing up the sports drink, and along about mile 10, my stomach, never a rugged competitor, let me know it.  It hurt.   I would have just quit but I wanted (needed) to get in the miles, so headed over to the track when I found some running friends who were (thank God) speed walking, so I joined them for quite a bit, then managed some slow finishing miles.  Better luck this weekend.

And the moral of the story is: think like a scientist, not a chef, when mixing your sports drink.

Masters 2000 miles