Masters Running

Sunday August 16 Master Runs and Workouts ... (Read 423 times)

Today's schedule had me running a double in place of a single LR.  Coach's reasoning is to make the 20 milers a little easier on my given my summertime H&H.  So he prescibed 2/3 in the morning followed by 1/3 in the evening.  He claims you get the total mileage on the legs but only about 3/4 of the fatigue to the body in general.  He asked for 2 hours in the AM and 1 hour in the PM today.

So I started out this morning and felt like carp - much like the rest of this week.  But after about 4 miles or so I got into a cruise control groove and felt good after that.  I ran what turned out to be 14 miles in 2 hours 7 minutes for a 9:05 min/mile pace.  Coach keeps stressing to me to run these "easy".  So I kept trying to keep the effort easy (but not recovery) and to keep the HR controlled and steady.  It is encouraging that "easy" is 9:05 right now.  Especially after this carpy week.

We'll see how "easy" feels this evening when I go for another 7 miles or so. 

An experiment of one ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Renee the dog

Hey breger1! (Sound to me like I'm on a CB radio as I write that!)

12 miles this morning. First 3 with Renee.  And with dead lead legs!  Got rid of the the dog and the shirt after mile 3 and eventually the lead left my legs.   Finished up my 12 miles in 2:00:50.  Also tried to keep the feel easy -- which I judge these days by my breathing.  Heart rate after uploading my data confirms I was indeed running easy.  Nice to see that by the later miles I was in the groove without any spike in heart rate. 

It was wicked hot out there this morning. Never saw so many shirtless people -- so I was less stressed about being so myself.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

We'll see how "easy" feels this evening when I go for another 7 miles or so. 

So when you run tonight, how "warm" will it be, Bill? I see there's tropical storm warnings for the Florida panhandle and was just wondering how bad the h&h were near you.

Nice "shirtless" run for Nono this morning. How does Renee handle the heat?

It was hot and sticky at 6:00 AM this morning - already 71° which has been unusual for this part of the country this summer. I ran 8 miles at a 9:51 pace. As I run on these mornings without a dry spot on my body, I try to remember how much better this is than having to strap on the YaxTrax and put on layers of clothes.

Now off to church to pray for my sorry soul. Have a good day, good people.

tet, nice job on your tri.  Tammyy, congrats on your course PR.  Woods Lady, it's neat that you got in a good race with your daughters.  I'm anxious to read the report.

Nice long runs for breger and nono.

This morning it was in the mid to high 60s, calm, and humid.  I got in 5 miles in about 48:30 for a 9:42 pace.  After church we're off to celebrate our son's birthday with his wife and in laws.  It should be a good day.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Long run turned short this morning.  It was an unpleasant, very slow, 8 miles.  No energy at all.  During the run, I was thinking about what is different these days (other than the heat, which I've put up with before), and remembered this week I changed the dosage on my blood pressure medicine.  

I'm going to go back to the previous dosage (this is a new medicine I've been on for only two weeks), and call the cardiologist tomorrow.  I'd planned 17 but didn't want to push it especially if I was running with extra high BP (the higher dosage didn't help, actually hurt, my resting BP, so I was planning to call the doctor tomorrow anyway).

68-77°F, 91% humidity

8.2 miles, 1:17:59, 9:29/mi, AHR 147 (75% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Warm.

10 miles, sloooow pace.  I'm a little tired and sore from yesterday's Women's Distance Festival 5k, at which my finish time was disappointing, but I managed a 2nd place AG medal.  There are two more I'd like to try next month, and maybe I can get better control over my pacing.

No beer-baby yet...

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

come ONNN baby beer!

For me, there is NOTHING better than a big, cold glass of chocolate milk immediatley after a hot long run!
                There is nothing more motivating to run with good form than seeing a herd of deer at full stride cossing 50 yards ahead into a field.  How graceful and masters of running!
                Warm it was today 71-78 with dewpoint 70°.

17 miles of hills in 2:38:06 (9:18 pace, AHR 150).

Weight loss... what's the big deal? I lost 6 lbs between 6 am and 9 am today Big grin

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Renee the dog

How does Renee handle the heat?

Well I hose her down before we leave and we make sure we run at optimal sprinkler time , so she does well.  But, she's also a teenager who probably doesn't know when to quit, so I do the thinking for her.  Our vet says that she's good for 4 miles at a shot up to 70ºF and 95 -100% H (which we usually have in the morning).  Since we've been trending a bit over 70 ºF lately, she's been limited to 3 mi at one time.  Sometimes she'll get to double with Bayside going out after I come back.  While I love summer running for the ease of dressing and overall feel, I do miss having her on my long runs.  Always tradeoffs, you know?

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tramps

What a treat to have a leisurely read through yesterday’s thread! 

Holly—“recovery pace.”  Heh, heh; I like that.

Mary—great to see you back out so soon.

SLO—great race!

Carolyn—I’m envious of all your backpacking!  Sounds wonderful.

Kevin—nice race; the consolation sounds best. 

PBJ—new parks are cool.  Re: that “hill” thing.  Every one of the subdivisions I run through has some ominous name that ends with “hill,” “crest,” or “ridge”.  Geez!

Tammy—nice job on a hilly course.

Tet—impressive!  Congrats.

dive—funny hemp run.  Reminds me…I encountered a pick-up truck at about 5:30 a.m. this week, slowly coming down our dirt road, and it smelled like a Grateful Dead concert on wheels—from the outside!  Geez, 5:30?

Woods Lady—great to see the Econos running together!

Tim—nice biking there.

Bill—Interesting theory about the double; nice run and good luck tonight.  Also, add me to the dumpy crowd.  We don’t have trash pick-up here so I visit the dump once a week or so.

Nono—it’s great that you can judge so well using your breathing; nice job.

Jlynne—we just got through lecturing you about “pathetic pace.”  Are we gonna have to start with your “sorry soul” too?

Tom—nice job, as usual.  I always read your posts very closely to both see your run but also (I confess) to be alerted to other runners doing things I might have missed.  Thanks.

WRFB—BP meds can wreak havoc; my DW takes some and has had similar issues with changes in dosage.  Good you recognized this and adjusted.  BTW, you took 150 pictures at an all-women’s race?  Why am I not surprised?

PDR—nice AG medal, whatever the circumstances!  Not bad for an (almost) grandma.

Perch—I never understood the chocolate milk thing.  Why chocolate?  Is it just a taste issue?  Watch that hydration; 6 pounds is a lot.  Nice run; I agree about deer.

20-miles @ 8:35 (not counting two breaks to refill my water bottles) + 1-mile cool-down jog/walk.  My first 20-miler since this Spring and it went remarkably well.  It was so humid that I made sure to hydrate more than usual (and was still down 3 pounds after the run!).  I also took two gels and some electrolytes, anticipating the worst today.  But—maybe in part because of my precautions—I felt surprisingly strong throughout.  I tried walking maybe 20 steps or so every two miles as I drank my water and that made for nice psychological breaks.  I also steered clear of wide open sunny roads, even though it meant some extra hills.  I’m very happy with this one.  It more than makes up for a couple of duds this past week.

Highlight of the run was watching the sun come up over the Potomac.  There’s a spot on my run where I’m looking across fields about 200 yards long between me and the river.  There was a fog/mist rising from the fields that were being lit up by a bright orange/pink rising sun that looked huge on the horizon.  Everything was just glowing with color.  Beautiful. 

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

Tramps......Great run ! I wish what I'm about to write sounded like yours.

20.6 miles average pace 8:44 not including walk breaks and water stops. Probably covered a little over 21 miles total.

Miles 1 thru 15 came super easy.......Mile 17 on......Simply Ugly. Orginally I was going to do a Duathlon this morning 2 mi run/17 bike/2 mi run and still go out and do my long run....Not bright as it would have certainly jeopardized my long run. I blew the race off becuase of the rain I woke up to.

Somewhere between mile 18 and 19 I was beginning to bonk.......I literally stood at an intersection 1/2 mile from home and didn't know where I was. It's humid, I did a 5k in 86 deg temps Friday...Canoed for 4 hrs yesterday which included a very hilly 6.2 mile bike ride back to where we put the canoe in and I left the pick up.....I suppose I may have been asking a little to much of myself.....maybe....or I'm just an undertrained wimp.... And to think I was going to do the Duathlon this morning and still do my long run.....// Shaking head //

Did I mention I friggen sore too........I can't remember the last time I was sore.

Whine over

Hey......Everyone enjoy a beer today !

I'm hanging at the library, enjoying their a/c, while I catch up on some online stuff and digest lunch before heading over to the bay to paddle.  I'm going to paddle far, far away from fishermen today, especially the kind who can't keep their catches on their lines and expect me to retrieve their almost-catches for them. 

charleygross - I read a novel last summer that was set on the Vineyard and remember it including references to the dumptique!  Didn't mention doggers, though.

SLO - awesome new avatar and greta race, too!

Tramps - nice long run today

Regarding posting my pace, I subscribe to the Wildchild school of thought, not posting my pace when I'm disappointed with it.  (So, have you EVER noticed me posting my pace?)  I'm slow, no really slow, but I'm still out there and I still love it.  Lots of things that I do in my professional life come to me fairly easily - music, writing, even teaching middle schoolers, most days.  Somehow, the fact that running's still hard and that I still love it even though I pretty well suck at it makes it even more rewarding.  Does that mean I have a lot of grit or that I'm just a masochist?

Ran 4.5 early this morning.  Temps in the low 70s, humidity was nuts, but then again, it is the Jersey shore in August.  Longest run since the biking accident just over a month ago.  I was stressing about the fact that I'll surely walk most of the HM in September and that I'll be lucky to finish in anything even close to 3 hours when I read Munchkin's update and was reminded just how lucky I am.  She's not whining about walking a half marathon, so neither am I.

I volunteered at a race for the first time yesterday and it was an all-around super experience.  It was a 5K on the beach and the organizers, a bunch of 20-somethings who grew up together here on the island, started it two years ago to "give something back to the community."  Needless to say, they are a fantastic group of young people and I was honored to share their positive energy. 

Hey Nono - I thought of you while I whipped off my tech shirt to switch into my race t-shirt on the beach yesterday!  Might even try the shirtless running thing before the summer's over.  Several women my size and larger were rockin' the sports bras on the beach yesterday!

Off to the bay, hoping that the Sunday sailors (powerboaters and jet skiiers, mostly) are heading back home soon.

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Long slow run with the emphasis on slow, 12.8 hilly miles at 10:30 pace which includes water / walk breaks.

Trying to fight off what I believe is knee bursitis  

Slo you are not 29 years old anymore, so be wiser

Eliz thanks for volunteering glad you enjoyed it!

Bill good luck with your double experiment

Buckeye nice race & report  

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice racing yesterday, including Slo_Hand with 2nd AG, Tammy with a course-PR, and Stumpy with a corporate team race (Thursday, but reported yesterday), PDR, with 2nd AG, and Woods Lady with the Econo clan, and today for Buckey Champ – in a fast field.

Heck of a brick workout for Timbo, who’s “resting” his torn calf….

WRFB – wise choice, given the givens…

Tramps – excellent 20-miler, especially since it’s the first one you’ve had in a while.

Slo_Hand – excellent 20-miler for you as well, including the bonk.  That’s all part of the fun, and the heat and x-training all add to it.  I crashed and burned pretty hard at the end of mine today, too. 

I've been feeling sluggish all week, due to my gluttony-induced weight gain from vacation the previous week, but managed better today than I expected.  I got up at 4:30 a.m. to try to beat the H&H, and even so it was 73° and sticky when I set out.  I did last weekend’s LR today, and the plan called for 20 @ 9:20.  Here’s what I did:

10 easy-briskish miles (ave 9:47)

7 miles at goal MP (8:45)  - 8:49, 8:35, 8:43, 8:38, 8:41, 8:35, 8:38

3 easy-briskish (9:34, 9:43, 9:58)

Result: 20 @ 9:24

Plus an additional 1.1 miles of part run/part walk to get home due to poor math on my feet (I was done in by then, all energy gone)

This is just the running time, not counting the unfortunate number of stops I had to make due to digestive difficulties and water fountain stops (thank goodness for the portopotties on the river trail).  I thought I was drinking enough water, but that last mile home I was PARCHED, having visions of the blue Gatorade I had in the fridge being poured over ice cubes…

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sweet Holly.  Sweet!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong