Masters Running

40/40 Thread for Week Ending 12/13/09 (Read 511 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

For those of you who are new, this is the 40/40 thread, for people who are over 40 years old who run 40 miles/week or more. We give Free Passes to those who come really close or try really hard...

Here’s what I have for last week’s tally.  Let me know if I missed you.

Who

Miles

Commentary

Rasmussenmp

Nice 30-mile weekend

Tetsujin

Always glad when you can stop by, Tet 

Holly

Easing into cold weather running

Pfriese

One black toenail is getting off light – very nice! 

MrPHinNJ

Plain tired, I understand that one

Slimbo

Close enough 

Buckeye

A 2nd marathon in 11 days?

Runhikebird

Free Pass

Recovery week and sick, too

Here’s my tentative plan for the week.  

Day

Plan

Actual

Commentary

Monday

1-3

0 miles

Just didn’t get to it...

Tuesday

6-8

8 miles

3 tempo miles @ 8:20, 8:17, 8:11

Wednesday

5-6

6 miles

Easy pace on TM

Thursday

6-8

5.5 miles

Intervals on the TM

Friday

1-3

2 miles

Plus light weights and abs

Saturday

5-7

8 miles

Easy pace

Sunday

13-16

17.1 miles

Easy paced LR

Total

?

46.6 miles

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hi Holly, I'm back for a try at running again after a couple of weeks off...although I did put in a few miles on the stationary bike along with stretching and core work.  Hopefully I'm back for awhile...a long while...we'll see how the week progresses.

Day

Plan

Actual

Commentary

Monday

3 Miles

3 miles    

Legs felt pretty heavy, but no pain!

Tuesday

6 Miles

46:56 - (7:50) .5 mile w/u fartleks for 4.5 miles w/1 mile c/d. 

Wednesday

4 Miles    

X

The storm screwed me big time!  Got out of work went home

and plowed then to the gym to find it closed...crap! I'll make it up somehow.

Thursday

7 Miles

8:34 - 8:23 - 8:16 - 8:09 - 8:02 - 7:56 - 7:21 - then some stretching and:

Week 3 Day 2 of my Push up / Sit up / Squat Challenge

Push ups - 20-25-15-15-25

Sit ups - 30-38-23-23-38

Squats - 27-34-21-21-350 The last 350 took me 7:03..I was really feeling it in the quads this time!

Friday

4 Miles

49:12 (8:12) - 9:00 - 8:34 - 8:20 - 7:58 - 7:11 - 8:08

Saturday

5 Miles

42:07 (8:26) -  9:11 - 8:48 - 8:32 - 8:06 - 7:28

Sunday

12 Miles

8.05 miles - 1:18:27 - 9:45 - Very slow and easy, my legs were very tight.

Total

41 +/-

Having missed Wednesday's run and cutting Sunday's a little short, I din't make 40...maybe next week.

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Thanks Holly,

This week brings another training marathon on Saturday and then a trip to Norfolk on Sunday. 

Mon: 4 miles - 4 miles easy, no heartrate monitor or watch

Tues: 9 miles including 3 miles @ MP - 10.0 miles plus cooldown including 3 x 1.5 miles @ mp with 3 x 0.5 miles @ 7.5 mph

Wed: 8 miles - 9.0 miles at an aerobic pace

Thurs: 7 miles - 8.0 miles recovery

Fri: 6 miles - 5.0 miles slow and easy

Sat: 28 miles including Birch Bay Ghost Marathon - 28.2 miles including 26.2 miles Birch Bay Ghost Marathon (3:34:4 on a frosty morning, light snow flurries and little to no wind. good training run, one minute negative split, no soreness at all.

Sun: 3000 miles Fly to Norfolk - complete

total: 64.2

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Thank you Holly -

M - 6

T - 6.16

W - wicked rain ... sleepy head

Th - 6.1

Fri - 5.2 [14 degrees with 20+mph winds -- at Penn State -- underdressed -- ouch]

Sat - 6.2

Sun - 8.0 miles [felt really good today.]

Total -- 37.5 [I am changing my name from "Slimbo" to "Close Enough"]

2012= under-goaled

Its Marathon Week this Week.  Wish me luck and a semi healthy return ... can't magically expect to be healtheir than when I start

Have been taking extra easy during the last few weeks trying to get back to maybe 85 -90%.  Main thing is muscle strain or something in lower back just won't clear up.  Started after Columbus as think extra strain for 16 miles due to hamstring.  Got better than the two 12 - 14 hr car trips to Outer banks seemed to reaggravate.  Starting to get a little better but tightens up after every run.  Had massage last week that helped so scheduling massage Thursday after last pre race run and then maybe even friday in Huntsville after flight.

PF in right foot keeps teatering on getting better than worse, but not as concerned about this in regards to race, as after .5 - 1 mi the discomfort goes away and on race day sure will not even notice.

Cold weather and Hamgstring has me little concerned and may go with running pants, legs were pretty cold first half of Columbus and not sure if anything to do with issues??  Either that or half compression shorts under running shorts.  Weather seems to be anywhere from 29 - 49 so may bring my whole running wardrope and decide raceday what to wear.

M - 5

T - Rest

W - 5

Th - 3

F - Rest (maybe 1 -2 if treadmill in hotel)

S - Rocket City - 27 (Probably do a little 3/4 wamup then stretch pre race)  

After that may need at least a month of Free passes as think 25 - 30 mpw is in order to get things back in order before spring push.

MTA --

Finished race in a dissapointing 4:25.  Healthwise should not have run, but its over and did Finish even if was the hard way!

Weekly Mile total: 36.2

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Florida

Better now after some serious Nyquil and Sudafed moments.  Probably looking at 25 +/- as I'll be in St Mary's GA this weekend helping Peggy celebrate her 50th. 

Day

Plan

Actual

Commentary

Monday

?

Rest Day

Tuesday

?

7:39 per mile 

Wednesday

?

8:00 per mile 

Thursday

?

Work is slamming me 

Friday

?

Travel to St Mary's 

Saturday

?

St Mary's

Sunday

?

Okefenokee Nat'l Wildlife Refuge

Total

?

Back at it next week! 

Prince of Fatness

Thanks Holly. Nothing structured for me through the end of the year.  I'll just be logging miles and getting workouts in when I can.

Day Miles Comment
                Mon 6.26
                Easy
                Tue 2.10 Yoga
                Wed 7.29
                Easy
                Thu 6.60
                Easy
                Fri 4.05
                Easy
                Sat 9.22
                Easy
                Sun 10.31
                Easy
                Total 45.8

Not at it at all. 

pfriese

Thanks Holly.

Day Plan Actual Comment
                  Monday rest day rest day cold and windy, glad I didn't have a run planned
                  Tuesday 8 miles 7.8 miles 9:01/mile pace
                  Wednesday 7 miles 7.5 miles 9:04/mile pace
                  Thursday 5 miles 7.4 miles 9:22/mile pace
                  Friday 5 miles rest day     
                  Saturday rest day rest day     
                  Sunday 26.2 miles 26.2 miles White Rock Marathon 4:04:19
                  Total ~50 miles 48.9 miles     

Its Marathon Week this Week.  Wish me luck and a semi healthy return ... can't magically expect to be healtheir than when I start

Good Luck Buckeye! I ran the Thunder Road marathon in 2006 (when it was 16º at the race start) and loved the whole experience. Run steady and save some energy for the rolling hills in the last miles. I think you have more than earned some free passes!

Good Luck Buckeye! I ran the Thunder Road marathon in 2006 (when it was 16º at the race start) and loved the whole experience. Run steady and save some energy for the rolling hills in the last miles. I think you have more than earned some free passes!

Thanks .... Running Rocket City so I think pretty flat ... Still will need to take it easy in the beginning.  Probably backing down planned 8:35 pace to 8:40-:45 and maybe a 1:53 - 55 split ... I can't (well don't really want to) do another Death March.

Realistically anything around 3:55 -3:59 will be a win.  anything below will be gravy.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Whoops! My bad. Where ARE those bi-focals?!

Good Luck all the same and yes, my advice is still go steady and pour it on in the end.

Rest, recovery and victory is just around the corner.

Cheers!

I look my best blurry!

I want so badly to be in this group.  But only when I legitimately can do it.  I keep trying but my body is fighting me all the way.  Anyway, I hope to be here soon.  Hip is stopping me right now.  Phooey.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks holly.

here`s my plan for my Sunday - Saturday running week but since it already happened,

let erika know I celebrated international running day with an international 42.195km. 

erika not to read: it was sunny, no wind and 40 degrees so I was in MM yellow singlet and bare feet while everyone had long tights, long-sleeve shirts, gloves and even some earmuffs.  I couldn`t believe it.

tetsujin - 52.4 miles

Sunday, December 6 - 42.195km (26.2 miles) - Akaho Gishi International Marathon (Japan)

Saturday, December 12 - 42.195km (26.2 miles) - Imperial Palace Marathon#120.(Japan)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

MTA --

Finished race in a dissapointing 4:25.  Healthwise should not have run, but its over and did Finish even if was the hard way!

Weekly Mile total: 36.2

Buckeye - I was a little worried about you with the issues you had mentioned earlier in the week.  With all that you were dealing with, consider it a victory that you finished.  Some races are going to be like that, especially when you're running marathons.  And btw, I consider 4:25 pretty respectable, given the givens.  Did you say you were signed up for another marathon in 11 days?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Buckeye - I was a little worried about you with the issues you had mentioned earlier in the week.  With all that you were dealing with, consider it a victory that you finished.  Some races are going to be like that, especially when you're running marathons.  And btw, I consider 4:25 pretty respectable, given the givens.  Did you say you were signed up for another marathon in 11 days?

Holly .. thanks.  No this was the only one signed up for, saw that 11 day thing and not sure were that came from.  I will be taking a marathon siesta for a while.