Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 1.8.14 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Nope, not frozen - just a little beat up. After I got home (at 9:45 last night) from our Conservation Commish. meeting, I got a call from the Town attorney, telling me that our budget was coming up shortly for discussion/resolution at the Budget Com. meeting, and that the Chair had told him she thought I had just decided not to participate. In truth, I have been trying to find out for the last month + when they were going to put us on the agenda, getting almost no response to all my inquiries. So last night, I put my coat back on and headed back to Town Hall. I, as I expected, got beat up by the Chair because she didn't like the way we gave our one employee a $1.57/hr raise last year. Another member started on a fishing expedition (I still don't know what he was trying to get at), and I politely refused to play. After about half an hour of this, the Chair made a motion to reduce our '14 $33,000 budget by $2,000. However, she got very little support, and the motion failed, meaning that our budget will remain as proposed. Afterward, the Board of Selectmen representative at the meeting came up to me and apologized for all the "BS" I had had to deal with. I was still wired when I got home, and so didn't get to sleep right away. So there was no getting up at 4 o'dark to go for a workout, even though it would have done me a world of good. Here's hoping for a much more calm night tonight.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

For some reason, I don't think I would want to mess with you in a meeting...glad you're not frozen...
      Henrun

Jay- déjà vu. I had battles with the same town council 50 years ago ( I doubt if any of them are still there- probably just their children).  Good luck.

No running today-resting my knee once again and warming upo

mrrun

Ran just under 4, so missed the more miles than degrees.  it was alot easier than the dreadmill - just joined the Y and am awe of you doing 1 hour+ runs on it.  i'm gritting my teeth after 15 minutes!

book recommendation: just finishd reading bill rodgers marathon man. it's a fun, easy read, not that well written, but worth getting from the library

may the polar vertex go out to sea and make us landlubbers happy!

happy belated bday, ilene!

marj

Mariposai

For some reason, I don't think I would want to mess with you in a meeting...glad you're not frozen...

6 recovery miles this morning. The legs were a bit tired  after  the 7 miles speed work out I did last night.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

janie b good

the winter storm took out my cable/internet for the past 3 days.  I'm finally back on line.  glad to read everyone made it thru the winter storms!

3.26 t'mill miles Monday

3.52 t'mill miles today

nice crowd gathering for the avenue of giants ... I'm jealous!  would love to join but already have plans to vacation in AZ the following week, and I can't swing two trips back 2 back.  perhaps next year...  I love me some CA.

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Out the door early in the dark with a headlamp, about 8C (47F) and drizzly and a little wind.  Awesome temperatures and conditions actually.  My Dad in Toronto said with the wind chill it was -40C (-40F), and the airport shut down all morning.  Not sure he is ever going to convince me to move back home.

Anyway, I did 5.1 miles at roughly 10:20 pace to start, 9:00 pace near the end, for 10:00 pace overall.  I need to slow it down though, if I want to start increasing miles and stay uninjured.  But faster is always funner.

Jay, sorry for the frustrations.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

Jay, that sounds stressful and frustrating. Hoping you have a more peaceful, zen-like evening tonight.

Marj, I can't believe I once ran 17 miles on a TM because now even a half hour drags on forever. maybe some new music in my mp3 will reinvigorate me.  well, actually just being able to even run right now would be good!

mild and drizzly this morning. It's my turn to take David to basketball tonight after work though so I'm going to try and get over to the gym on my lunchhour and do 10-15 min on the elliptical and some weights. I'm getting back into my evening routine of pushups, crunches and planks, so trying to make the best of being sidelined and depressed.

Tammy

Tramps

Jay--that sounds like very familiar dynamics.  Frustrating but I'm sure you're used to it by now.  Hang in there.

Glad the vortex didn't gobble up anyone.  Single digit temps again this morning but nothing like some folks have seen.  I couldn't run until mid-day when it was a balmy 28F.  7 EZ but sproinky miles.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - whew!  Sounds very frustrating.

Mariposai - nice recovery this morning after speedwork last night.

Enke - you can still do some speedwork while building, but it is safer to stay with tempo-paced speedy parts.  Still get some fun....

It has been so long since I did speedwork, I am starting with the same idea - tempo-paced intervals.  Today after a 1-mile WU I did 4 miles of (2 min. @ 8:34/1 min. @ 10:00/1 min. @ 8:34/1 min. @ 10:00).  Not super speedy but still a good workout and it made the TM time go by fast.

5 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...mornin' guys//..........accidently went for a PoolRun this morning........

was driving

to the grocery,

noticed

about 10-cars at the YMCA and actually could see 50% road amidst the Ice

Looked up

to the heavens,

and

said ''Scroot''>>>>>>>SLID down the hill and into the parking lot

==============

...38 min PoolRun No Belt,

with steps

................IT FELT WONDERFUL.......

............good running to ya..............Glad jay and mikeE are currently Thawed.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

10 miles with a few of my teammates at 8:03 pace (last two miles were faster--on purpose) Bright sun and just barely more miles than degrees and no neck gaiter today. Heck, shorts by Sunday!

Go TW Go! Love it when you can use the word wonderful to describe your workout.

...thanks CNY//

..........I hope

I am as supportive of the rest of you as all of you have been for me...........

ps

was gonna say '' y'all ''

pps

but didn't

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

C-R

Hey all. Three extra days with the kids due to school cancellations has worn us out. But in a good way.

Some nice running in these conditions. Masters are tough. Except me. I did a hill workout on the TM today. Felt good.

Way to stick in the Jay. I was once told that polictics comes from the Latin roots of poli meaning "many" and tics meaning "blood sucking parasites". Hang in there against those "many".

Roads are still interesting around here which should make the grocery trip this evening fun.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

coastwalker you sure have a lot more patience for politics than I do!

CNYrunner I did 10 miles but after your post no way I am letting anybody know the pace!

Got up.  Looked at the temperature.  Same routine as yesterday.  Went to the gym and did 10 miles on the TM.  Miserable, but it was miserable cold outside so I got to pick my poison.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/