Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 6.24.17 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Friday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (2.8 mies, just shy of the planned 3)
    Tramps (7 miles, still stuck on 7:42)
    PBJ (fizzle lifting and spinnerooni at lunch)
    Tet (gut workout at the Herring-Fest smorgasbord)
    Catwhoorg (7+ post-work, pre-Cindy miles)
    Holly (9 back-and-forth miles with rule #1 violation and blister)
    Mike (6 evening miles)
    Spacityrunner (3.1 post-storm, pre-sunset miles)
    Mariposai & Twocat (?) (7.3  9 mile route)

I'm glad we are getting some good input on the nuances of the all-important Rule #1.

Well done on the consistency, Tramps.

V55 seems to suit you, PBJ.

How’d you do at the smorg, Tet?

I’ll be glad to be there at your next, dinner, Cat. Good luck on the weight loss competition!

Trust your instincts, Holly. And sorry about the blister/bunion.

Sounds like a beautiful finish to your run, Spacityrunner.

Seems like Mariposai and Twocat and spouses are having a great, gardening-free visit.

I had a very good meeting early yesterday with another member of our 5K race committee, and we talked about making some major changes to our race for a number of good reasons. It’ll take a lot of work and some heavy lifting, but if we can pull it off, it could be amazing. Marj & Henry will be glad to know that she agreed to let me add an 80+ AG to our race this year.

7.8 E-Z RW miles in muggy 75° weather this morning, except that, once again, it was appreciably (and I appreciated it!) cooler by the ocean. On the way back, I picked up a fly that kept buzzing my sweaty neck and head, looking for a good place to bite. I hate those little devils. Next DW and I are heading to our fave dive for breakfast, and then I have a racewalking training session, if the expected rain doesn’t get in the way. On the way back, I’ll stop at the farmer’s market to see what goodies they have this week.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning, Jay!  Enjoy your busy Saturday.

4.1 miles.  I am not bouncing back from the races the last 2 weekends.  I thought the weather was a little better this morning, although still humid, but I felt horrible out there.  Some days are like that.  Tomorrow is supposed to be 61 and low humidity in the morning, so we'll see how that goes.  I think I'll drink some iced tea and see if I have enough in me to walk the old doggies around the block before it gets hotter.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...holly//.......as I found out

the bunions will result in HAMMER TOE on the next toe.........CVS and Walgreen have a Soft Gel Toe Separator

which is comfortable to wear,

and

I have been using a Night-Time Bunion Correcter which seems to be working well

https://www.amazon.com/HappyStep-Bunion-Corrector-Straightener-Alignment/dp/B00MF8ZFM8/ref=sr_1_34_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1498310807&sr=8-34&keywords=bunion

...this is easier to fix early.............

===========

.......storms have stopped,

40-min PoolRun with letters...

.........had to wait with SpeedoBoy since the Lifeguard overslept,

but

at least he's not doing that Creepy Trolling Crappe anymore

...........good running to ya.............and Happy Smorg-Fest to tet

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Ewww. A toe straightener sounds a bit medieval.

Knee/hip exercises + core work + 20 minutes at a 2:2 walk run ratio.  They say patience is a virtue.

TriBee's dragging me to a bike shop today and is threatening to buy me something (used) later. I have mixed feelings about it at best. Running is so simple.

Be safe. Be kind.

coastwalker

There was just a little, infrequent drizzle at racewalking training this morning - not enough to get in the way of anything and, as before, I would have enjoyed a little more of that sky water. It was still pretty muggy out, and up to 79°, so we all took frequent water breaks during our laps around the HS track. I did some coaching and some walking and did another 2.75 RW miles for a total of 10.55 for the day. And I got some fresh sugar snaps, Tokyo turnips, and nice cukes at the farmer's market.

Is it nap time?

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Is it nap time?

The answer to that question is always the same: yes.

Be safe. Be kind.

''TriBee's dragging me to a bike shop today and is threatening to buy me something (used) later. I have mixed feelings about it at best. Running is so simple.''

.........True Dat...........I just dropped my bike off to have it RE-ALIGNED (who knew)

........apparently

Pickles knocked it over one time too many

but

I'm gonna have to give this Hip an Alternate Work-Out

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

coastwalker just one spouse. My DW is back east. Also, "sky water" falls under the same rule as "rain."

Ran 6.2 with mariposai and her DH this morning. Soon we are going off on a hike.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Running is so simple.

and cheap . Enjoy your new sport Smile.

Day three of having fun running, touring, hiking, cooking and eating at the Mariposai hut. The Easy Pacer and I are delighted to have twocat visit us on his way to his conference. I tell ya, we are starting to really like the Western Finance Association Conferences .

Yesterday I took him to a tour of the largest family own farm in the region. We started at their cherry and apple processing plan, visited the homestead via their tree nursery, went by their cattle ranch and ended at their golf course, we toured for 4 hours and never left the Gebbers family farm property. Very impressive.

Here is collage of our tour. The first picture is a picture of twocat holding the lid of the Gebbers Gold Prize cherry. These cherries is NEVER sold in the USA. It is all exported to Japan.

Today the EP and I took twocat to runt he Orchards in Bloom 10k route. Now off to do some hiking.

Ohh, after the run I did some gardening, poor twocat, he wanted to help, but I told him no because of his deadly allergic to gardening, I hear.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Have fun, Twocat! I'd love to visit Mariposai's area and those orchards.

Hammer toe... ugh, all too familiar. It's not caused by the bunion, though. It's caused by the tendons in the toe tightening and pulling the joint up, and usually driving the joint where the toe joins the long metatarsal down. End result for a runner: metatarsalgia, the bane of my right foot for years. It's usually a genetic condition (thanks, Dad), but can be caused by ill-fitting shoes. Most people with hammer toe also have a bunion, and I have a small one, caused by the general mis-alignment of the foot/toe bones. I asked my podiatrist about surgery to fix mine, and he said he wouldn't recommend it because all the scar tissue in my toe has actually stabilized it, and it doesn't cause too much trouble anymore. Just looks awful.

Catwhoorg is doing what a lot of people said they'd do when we were talking about our wellness program and giving "points" for good blood test results. I said whatever floats your boat, basically. Wasn't going to get all concerned about what an individual might do when the majority would not do that. Good luck on your goal.

Jay, what are Tokyo Turnips? Never heard of 'em. I guess I could Google that...

Took yesterday off work and it's just amazing how fast the day flies by. Got out for a hilly 9.1 miles in the afternoon on tired legs. Our official times haven't been posted yet, but they were in the paper, which I don't get. So when I was at the store earlier, I peeked in the sports section and found my placing. I was 10th overall with final time of 7:03. Interesting, we do have some speedy younger runners this year. I'm running faster times than last year, but placing lower. Last year my 7:09 got me 8th place. Oh well.

Today is our 28th anniversary! We're going to a Rioja and Barbecue event tonight. The person doing the barbecue part is a friend of ours who is an excellent cook, wins barbecue competitions and knows Guy Fieri (sp?). Should be fun! I'll run later, but just short and easy since I did 9 miles of hills yesterday.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I'm just stopping in, real quick, to post my run of 10 miles.

I mowed the lawn and, now, we're heading to a wedding.  Another couple who'll get to enjoy a June anniversary.  Debbie's and mine is tomorrow.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

spacityrunner

Planned on getting out this morning for a quick run, but sleep got in the way.  So...instead of 10a.m. and 70f I waited till 1 p.m. and 80f  3.25 around the neighborhood.  A bit speedier than last nights run, but not by much.

Trails Rock!

catwhoorg

Labrat

8,5 easy on the TM as DW didn't want me going out with the storms around.

Supposed to be a better day tomorrow. This morning was pretty foul, but its already getting better.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

TammyinGP

8 miles this morning at about 5:30 a.m.  

had to bring David to the school and drop him off for his 10 day trip to Anaheim with a school group for FBLA National competition. As long as I was up so early and knew that would be the coolest part of this 107 degree day, I got in my run too. 

and as it turns out, it's been quite the morning for this traveling group. The charter bus they rented wasn't there at 5 a.m. Still not there when I finished my run at 6:45 ish.  Still not there at 8:30 but the update by that point was that the bus driver apparently had some sort of medical emergency and was in the hospital and the charter bus was having mechanical issues, so it couldn't be used. I'm glad these things happened before they left and not while they were half way between here and San Fran!  I mean, I never want to hear of someone having a medical issue and going to hospital but it could be REALLY bad if something happened in the middle of nowhere. 

Couldn't get another charter bus, nor bus driver. So, about 2:00 this afternoon (when they should have been arriving in San Fran), they departed on a SCHOOL BUS! Oh, those poor kids. They will miss out on their Alcatraz tour they had scheduled for tonight, but will hit Santa Cruz tomorrow and then Monday continue their journey to Anaheim.  With our temps in the 100's and No Cal supposed to be 111-115, I'm so hoping nothing happens to that bus. I told David he better be texting me every few hrs to let me know where they are at, because I will not rest until I know they are in San Fran.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

The answer to that question is always the same: yes.

+1

I am envious of Twocat's visit to Mariposai and family!

Erika - Happy Anniversary!

I don't really (yet) have hammer toe, or a toe that bends to the right, but just my big toe knuckle is bigger and causes chafing issues now.  This morning I put a bandaid on the popped blister, then covered that with KT tape, but it still bled through those and my sock on my shortish run.  Does not bode well for tomorrow's planned LR.

5.6 miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."