Masters Running

Saturdaily, 4.20.19 (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday:

Tet (call me a runner) - 2 neighborhood miles in 57° temps, then back to sleep.

Joe - Walked 6+ Boston miles, enjoying the city before a Boston meet-up with Marj & Henrun.

Dave - 3.05 morning miles, failing to break Rule #1, with right foot acting up - it was the shoe's fault.

Tramps - 4 humid morning miles in temps in the 70s.

RunnerKSA - 3.5 tired, slow TM miles watching news hysteria.

Bioguy - grocery shopping & siding washing cross-training.

Fatozzig - sleeping in after a rambunctious night (at Bonkos).

Tomwhite - 40 min x-bike in rainy & cold, + choir practice.

Twocat - 1st post-surgery 7-miler with decent splits.

anneb - 6 mid-morning, office closed miles in wind & temps in the low 40s.

dnaff - yard work cross-training in a winter coat.

Milktruck - EZ 4.2 nighttime miles (checking off streets), prior to a maybe 10-mi. race today.

Mike - 8 miles with a cold.

Deeze - 1.1 walking miles after a too-hard day.

Falconfixer - Taught the 5:15am spin class, then drove home to run 4.5 miles in the chilly rain & wind, then the "voice" at Good Friday services.

Mariposai - completing another week of no running because of too much work.

Have a safe flight home, Joe.

Sorry about the foot, Dave, but I'm glad you got it under control.

Yes, Tammy, we all have to be careful about what we take away from reading these posts!

Milktruck - It's warm, and muggy this morning, but with little rain so far, so enjoy the race!

Tet - my resting heart rate is usually 46-49 these days.

I fared OK at my physical yesterday - my BP is slightly higher than it should be, but not enough to raise any flags, and I have an excess of ear wax in my ears. That was the best he could do, so I guess I'm OK. We agreed to visit again in a year,

I headed out at J o'clock for 78.5 very EZ miles, touring 8 local cul-de-sacs, in 68°, muggy weather with about 18 drops of rain at one point. I think it's harder (certainly takes a heck of a lot longer) to go EZ than hard.

Have a greta Satruday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

''78.5 very EZ miles''

.....didn't know ''78 and EZ'' went together...........Amazing

=========

...50-min PoolRun/shoes no belt...

not impressive,

just lost count on my laps

..........Good Running to Ya........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I was thinking the same thing Tom. Quite impressive Jay!

Really behind here. I worked the last 2 days. Yesterday when the candy store opened at 9 we had a line of people and it was like that all day long. Holy cow what a crazy day!

3 miles this morning. One of those runs where I felt uncoordinated and old. Oh wait - I am!  Finished with 25 minutes of weights and core stuff.

I’ve got 27 people coming for a party tonight. Got stuff to do! 😱

Falconfixer

I think y'all overlooked that those are either 8 EXTREMELY long cul-de-sacs.....or Jay toured the heck out of them!  

mrrun

NH coastline is 18 miles - guess Jay did it 4 times!

1 hour power walking, 45 minutes in dry and the last 15 minutes fast as the rains came in!

Happy Saturday!

marj

Doug, yay!   Yes, I was there.   Was shortly after NoLongerBabyinAA was born, wasn't it?   and you were in the relay?  
              Have you been thinking about doing that half again?   I don't think I'd be ready, but we do have to pick something!  

Deb, you're right. We did the relay with MarkGuy and Tim Looney. As far as a HM, I'm afraid that distance is fading in my rearview mirror. These days, a 10K would qualify as a "distance run", although I keep thinking of one last time at the Crim (except for the crowds).

Tramps, I was hoping to get my road bike out this weekend to try out my new Garmin radar unit (RTL510), but neither the weather nor my leg are cooperating. I'm anxious to see how it works.

For an injury that sure felt very serious, my calf is feeling better all the time. At least I can walk normally now and go down stairs almost normally. Running is still out since it's that push-off with the forefoot that still hurts too much. All I've done is a couple days of naproxen (Alave) and today switched to meloxicam.

Went to the gym this morning for a round of weights and also to keep the leg stretched out as much as possible.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

dnaff

2 miles with the dog.  Now it's time for 5 miles with just me.  Happy Saturday everyone!

Henrun

I used to live in Jay’s town .John Irving (author of Garp)often used the same setting as he described his runs to the ocean. Or maybe I’m thinking of Forrest Gump and his endless runs. A round about way of saying 78.5 is an accurate length😎

Did an hour of RW and run, half with Marj before she took off to stay dryer than me.

A round about way of saying 78.5 is an accurate length😎

Jay's an ultra runner!  Welcome to the club! 

And I hear 2Kitty ran 7 miles yesterday.  Woot woot!!  It's been so much fun to "watch" your progress.

Hang in there, Posie.  This, too, shall pass . . .

PT yesterday, which included 10 min on the elliptical.  I'm so out of shape, my legs felt like rubber when I got off the machine.  Which means I need to start going to the gym again to use their elliptical.    I hate going to the gym.  Just hate it.  If I could afford to buy my own elliptical, I would, but having just purchased The Hub a new work truck, it ain't in the cards.

Anyway, my PT and I had a good talk about what's been going on with me and my absolute frustration.  Long story short, he provided me insight on the healing process and what went on the with "cleaning out of scar tissue, etc.", I've been given a different stretch to put my right hip flexor in passive extensive mode as opposed to doing bridge work, and I'll be doing ice massage after every workout, PT session, etc., to try and get a deep icing into the problem areas.  I got back in 2 weeks and if I'm still having the same issues, he will probably recommend a follow up visit with my surgeon.  And during that time, I'm not allowed to compare my recovery to anyone else's. 

He did the deep ice massage on the areas of issue yesterday and it felt really good. I also didn't have as much flare up as I anticipated from going up and down the stairs at work a gazillion times, which, unfortunately, couldn't be avoided.  Although my right butt cheek is telling me, in general, that I went up and down the stairs a gazillion times, then used an elliptical.  Cripes, I'm so outta shape . . .

Anyway, I'm at work again on a Saturday, but I get the blare my music since no one else is here.  Update on the "we need a secretary" issue at work, one of the other partners, who will eventually be taking over the EP dept, talked me yesterday about the new floater secretary - the one I'd like to pilfer and see if she'll work out as our dept secretary.  Hopefully, a decision will be made to move her to us.  I also told the partner that if the secretary is going to have any chance at succeeding, she needs to be moved from her current workstation, which is right by the postage machine, copier, etc.  It's too busy there, and it's too easy to get sucked in to talking to everyone.  We'll see what happens . . .

Have a great Easter, folks ~~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet (call me a runner)

Jay - you got that right.
                      With all the running around I’ve been doing at the nearby Hillside Park trails and stairs I’ve come to like doing so much just for the sake of doing, this will be the first year that non-race/training miles will exceed race miles in 43 years of running just to see if skiing, etc. had me in good enough shape to do at least annual marathons and more without much more than 13 miles of training, if that, .  I think I’m finally becoming a real runner, . . . unfortunately, now that Father Time’s reduced me to mostly walking.

Tet - my resting heart rate is usually 46-49 these days..

ps jay - nice RHR.
                      Do they comment on it?
                      Anyone lower?
                      I’m 54-56, . . . depending on who does it.

Tom, et al - great gotcha.

Maybe he's training for the 100m/100k ultra

i'm doing the latter in out here next month

For an injury that sure felt very serious, my calf is feeling better all the time. At least I can walk normally now and go down stairs almost normally. Running is still out since it's that push-off with the forefoot that still hurts too much. All I've done is a couple days of naproxen (Alave) and today switched to meloxicam.ble.

Doug - Father Time’ll do that to us.

Two lakeside miles.
                      After a couple of weeks of rain, including 12-hours of it last Saturday, with no elevation runs in the mix until the end of May, gave up the Hillside trails and stairs that’ve been my friends as I embarked on a new running career with my MapMyRun in January to enjoy the setting moon and rising sun along the shores of the Lakeside Park on the other side of the island about a mile and a half away on the other side of the Hillside Park.  

ps waving - when it’s early morning or something such as daunting hikes, etc. that most people don’t do, I like to wave and greet but so many people are in their earphones, with someone else, looking away, etc.  that there’s not too much chance nowadays so I usually wear sunglasses or a cap with the bill down so there’s no eye contact until I decide to at the last minute for a greet if they’re lookin’ at me or not if they’re not.  If I can’t figure out what to do, the Tramps’ slight nodding acknowledgement is usually good enough.

pps posie - aren't you retiring yet?

Bet you'll be glad when you do.

Have fun

I got to find a new schedule during the week where I can fit in even a half hour run in between my 10, 12 to at times 14 hour  work days. Se la vi. This also shall pass and then I can run to my heart content again.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Joe618

Morning all!!   First things first...here's a photo from the meet up my DW and I had with Henrun and mrrun yesterday:

A wonderful conversation in a beautiful coffee place right on Boston Common.  Between the exceptional company and the fine architecture, I think I added 20 points to my IQ by sheer osmosis.   I really enjoyed the time, as did my wife who termed H & M "delightful"...true that.

TwoCat, so happy you got in 7!!  That is just terrific!!!

Mariposi, hope you get the work stress worked out.   Ugh.   Leslie, you as well...though you are literally "rocking it" today, from the music you'll have blaring :-). 

Jay, a nice wrap up and I caught your typo, which I thought cleverly coyly nicely cleverly done.

Dawn, hope your 5 sans doggie was fun.

More in a bit. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Yes, they are, Joe.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Joe618

We're wrapping up a most wonderful week in Boston, flying home mid afternoon today.   It's really gone wonderfully.   Obviously, there was this little Fun Run from Hopkinton to the Boston Public Library with a few pals on Monday which was enjoyable.

My DW and I had a terrific time as well and it went well beyond running.   Truly enjoyed exploring Boston.   We only used public transport and walking and what a magnificent way that is to see a city from a slower pace  and up close and personal.   At rush hour on the subway, Very Personal!!!  Got a great grasp of the history of the city and, thus, of our country.   And the two of us just plain enjoyed being together.   Some wonderful food too...way too many places to eat and way too little time. 

My legs feel remarkably good after the marathon.   I do think the 5+ miles of walking every day was key in working out the residual lactic acid.  No soreness or pain at all, for which I'm thankful.   I wanted to get out for one more run since we had time this morning, so I went down to Kendall Square in Cambridge and got over the the Charles River and ran a big 10K loop, using the paths on both sides of the river.

It was cloudy and breezy but comfortable.   Many, many runners out.   I enjoyed watching the rowers and scullers on the River and even happened upon the epic finish in the Men's Eights between Boston University and Dartmouth, with the locals winning by 3/4 boat length in a sprint to the finish.   Man, did that feel very "Bostonian".   I almost shouted "Row haaaahdah, row haaaahdah"  but I didn't.   

On the Boston side of the river, I paused before crossing the bridge back to Cambridge, looking over towards Comm Ave where I ran on Monday.  Not sure when or if I'll run in Boston again, but it was a good memory with which to leave.

Thanks a ton to all of you here for your interest in and encouragement of my training and running Boston.   I truly appreciate it.

Now, back to the real world of home and work and on to the next running efforts. 

Happy Passover and Happy Easter to all.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Marathon Maniac #957

Joe - I have really enjoyed hearing about your Boston adventures - thank you for sharing, and those are great pictures!  I have been blessed to have met Henry and Marj on several occasions, and really enjoyed all of them - those two are some seriously great people.

Yesterday I puttered around with a light weights and core workout.  Today it was raining, and I didn't feel like breaking any rules, so I rode the bike to nowhere for 30 minutes.  My brother and his son are in town, visiting from Virginia, so we had dinner with tem yesterday, and will head over to my other nephew's house to visit some more this afternoon

Happy Easter Eve!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Got up later than planned but I snuck in a quick little 2.03 miles to start the day.

After meeting a couple friends for breakfast, I am now working. The 4 project managers on my project got together Friday and decided to do a different kind of test on the software next week so here I am changing the programs so that will work.

There is acute and chronic types compartment syndrome. A description from the Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery:

Compartment syndrome of the foot is a surgical emergency in which raised pressure within a closed myofascial space reduces circulation below a level necessary for muscle viability. Left untreated, the ischemia associated with compartment syndrome can lead to muscle necrosis, amputation, disability in the form of contracted forefoot and fixed claw toes, and even death.

(I looked up the worst description I could find.)