Masters Running

Saturday Runs, Christmas Tree Falls and Such (Read 342 times)

Ho Ho Ho everyone. 10 painful miles on the treadmill at the Y this morning, 10:01 pace. Then 5 minutes of Mary's inclined lunges and some other assorted leg work. Almost had to ask someone to carry me to my car when I was done.

We had a little excitement at our house yesterday. I was sitting at our kitchen counter painting wine glasses when all of a sudden I heard this huge swushing sound, then a thud. Turned around to find our 9 foot decorated Christmas tree lying on the living room floor. Broken ornaments and lights, garland all over the place, what a mess. And I had just put water in the stand so the carpet was soaked as well. My DH earned major spousal approval units helping me clean and get the tree back up in the stand. We took a rope and tied the top of the tree to a nail we pounded in the wall. Hope it holds for another week!

PDR - great picture of Nate! Why do little ones look so much cuter in Santa hats?  Glad you got your run in with no pain. Good luck on your long attempt this weekend.

Leslie - why didn't you just take your jammies, pillow and blanket and sleep at the mattress store?  Isn't there a motto "it's not yours until you like it?" Hope you find the right one.

Carolyn - good luck with that sore shin. I know what you mean about not running at all, especially with all of the guilt about eating too much during the holidays. I hope it resolves itself soon.

Good luck to all of the RA people on the East coast. I hear you are in for a major snowstorm this weekend. Maybe that's why New York came in first as the state with the most unhappy residents. That was actually kind of a shock to me. Bill - that's a lot of rain! How are you feeling these last few days?

Nice pictures, Twocat! The hut reminded me of the Swiss Family Robinson or Gilligan's Island! Keep 'em coming.

Off to help DS#1 and his wife paint their new house (and hang out with Will  Have a good one good people

Good morning,

Jeanne sorry about your tree accident, glad you could save it. 

10 on the TM, wow !  I see your DS & my DS1 have both got new houses

My DS, 26 BD yesterday, house is real fixer upper it will be a couple months before we can think about paint   

only 3 inch snow here,  so 5 snow covered miles aound the neighborhood w/DW, it was FUN 

Nice photos of our little Santas

Twocat thanks for sharing

Keep your shovel handy

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Jeane - my jaw dropped at your Christmas tree story and took a long time to return to place.  Hope you didn't lose any ornaments with special memories attached to them.  Awesome avatar pic, BTW.

Today was supposed to be my first day to post a run in 2 weeks.  I even stopped and picked up my first pair of Yaktraks on the way home from school yesterday.  Probably the first person in history to forego the milk, eggs, and bread run at the grocery to make a pre-snow emergency stop at the running store, huh?  

All of the concert mania has left me totally wiped out, though, so I'm taking the day of the worst December snow since 2000 to regroup and figure out how I'm going to get to center city tonight for the gig with the Philly Orchestra.  We were told that they'll only cancel if the governor declares a snow emergency for the state (not likely, since the snow is really only an issue for the 95-corridor on the eastern end of PA) and we're expected to be there - the show must go on and all that.  I'm not going to do anything stupid, but I'm kind of looking at getting there as a challenge and an adventure.  Kind of like "Survivor" for choral music geeks!  Current plan is to drive 2 miles to the train station and take regional rail into the city.  Worst case scenario - we get stuck in town and splurge on a hotel for the night.  Yet another Christmas gift to myself.  Smile

Once tonight's plans are settled, I'm going to take advantage of the time to catch up on two weeks' worth of dailies!  

Nono - I'm jealous that you're getting to see such a rare thing - so much snow at the BEACH!!!!  Enjoy!!

Good runs, rests, recoveries, and holiday festivities all!

MTA - Just heard on the news that this is the most snow in December here since 1909!  Yikes!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

SteveP

Off to help DS#1 and his wife paint their new house (and hang out with Will  Have a good one good people

Baby will is too kewl.

45 min out and back with the dog.

SteveP

Slo

Wow, 10 miles on a treadmill.......That takes some toughness !  Nice run Jylnne......And a nice save of the Christmas tree !

I managed 45 mins on the evil-liptcle this morning.  Hopefully I can find some time today to get to the video store and rent something captivating enough to get me thru a nice long spin in the stationary trainer.

Recovery is coming along nicely.......I think of Two Cat on everyrun. I don't know how you've managed for so long.

Keep on a runnin !

Eliz

Break a leg ! Tis the season.......My oldest DD is in the community Chior. They joined up with the symphony and did the Messiah last week. She thought they were only doing excerpts........They did the whole thing!  I shouldn't admit this but I snuck out after Part 2.

dg.

hi!       omg, thinking about all of you that are going to get hit with this!!   I went out & shoveled our little baby 2 inches this morning, it was mild & not too windy even,  I felt a little guilty.   not too much though, we've had our years.  

Eliz, have fun & be careful!

Slo_hand singing the Messiah is so much fun!!  Don't think I'd want to do the whole thing either..    But we performed the excerpts a few times in high school, once teamed up with a bigger older choir, I don't remember now who they were. 

Sarge I'm really glad to hear your DW is  running & it sounds like she's ok!

Yikes Jlynne.   What a pain that must have been to clean up.   I'm glad no one was hurt.  & that DH helped clean up!

PDR now you really have to post more often so we can see that picture. He is precious.   Good luck tomorrow.  hey, I found what looks like a really good knee link earlier, I haven't read through the whole thing but will post it here.  I'll go find it.  be right back.   Ok, I'm back.   ;-).   It's the whole chapter from a book, pretty cool that they were willing to do that.  http://www.clinicalsportsmedicine.com/chapters/24e.htm

Twocat I love the pictures!    more more. 

Is today Byll's 5K?   good luck!!

Today is more or less a rest day, I did assorted core work earlier, probably will need to do more wimpy shoveling a time or 2, & am () cleaning & organizing.  

be careful out there. 

Eliz

Break a leg ! Tis the season.......My oldest DD is in the community Chior. They joined up with the symphony and did the Messiah last week. She thought they were only doing excerpts........They did the whole thing!  I shouldn't admit this but I snuck out after Part 2.

Bwaaah!  I don't blame you.  When we did Judas Maccabaeus last month, we made A LOT of cuts and it still seemed long.  We figured folks had a lot more time on their hands - and no cable TV - during the Baroque period!

flomotioncoaching.com

eliz.    Hang in there.  Yep,  the show must go on.   Try to make an adventure of it, and you will remember this concert to tell to your grandchildren.  Be glad you are not having to carry a viola when you out in the stuff.  You are going to have a great Christmas when it finally gets here.  Been there, done that!

Be safe in the big snow storms, all you East coasters.

Just got back from a road run of about 3.2 miles.  Getting ready for the New Year Days run here in town.

HI dg and all!   Tramps, that is a neat photo with the dogs.  

Tramps

Hang in there, Eliz. 

Quite a storm for us.  14 inches and still coming down steadily.  At least the dogs are having fun!

Be safe. Be kind.

dg.

hi Woods Lady!

Tramps, thanks.  great picture.   I love it when they smile like that.  Smile

hope you have enough  provisions.  stay warm.

wildchild

Carolyn

Jlynne, that must have been quite a sight to see your tree lying on the floor.   We always tie ours to the wall or ceiling.

Tramps, thanks for the picture!  Do your dogs run with you? You've never mentioned it, so I guess they don't?  They do look happy. Enjoy the snow!  That much snow is even kind of an issue for us, so it must have things at a total standstill there.  Good thing it's a weekend and everyone already has their Christmas shopping finished.

It's sunny and mid 30's here today, and even warmer down in town.  We got 2" of snow yesterday which helped freshen up the old snow in the yard. We'll have a white Christmas, of course - we always do here.  It's unheard of to not have snow this time of year at 9,300 ft. in the Rockies. Denver might not have much snow on the ground, though.

I'll take the dogs for a walk this afternoon, since today is a rest day.  Happy running and shoveling, everyone!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Hello, hello!

Divechief – nice to see you popping by…

Jlynne – bummer about the tree.

Sarge – very neat that your DS has you to help him with that.

Eliz – good luck!

Tramps – great fun!

4 miles outside (ave 10:46) in a slushy light layer of snow and 33°, followed by 4.6 miles on the TM at 10:00 (I had to get home to be with DD when DH and DS left for early haircuts).  8.6 miles total.

More tax training today, but only until 2pm.  Church tonight which means I can go long and slow tomorrow morning and still sleep in!

Mariposai makes a great point about running in snow/ice/slick conditions – this is when you need to not worry about pace and just go for time.  Even in the light layer we had here, I noticed how much I tensed and slowed as I ran, trying not to slip.  Be careful out there, folks.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks for the link, dg.  It has been suitably bookmarked.

This snow is amazing.  Even with the snow-blower, we're having trouble keeping up with it.  Lou is manning the blower, and I'm cleaning up with the shovel.  We've had over a foot and it's still coming down fast.  The wind is supposed to pick up tonight, and then it could get really exciting.

In between ventures outdoors, we're finishing up holiday chores.  The nursery is finally all ready for baby Nate.  I've had so much fun with that!  Now - onto wrapping and cookie-making...

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Maniac 505

6 ez miles before work.  45º and a little misty,  all the east coasters,  hang in there and be careful.

I will probably register for the,  Bataan Memorial Death March Marathon Today,  not a goal race as far as time goes but one of the marathons I am looking most forward to next year.

Twocat,   tap tap tap....,  what do we have to do to get more pictures?

Eliz:  good luck with the concert,  I bet it will be fine. 

yikes Jlynne - sorry about the tree - glad your dh was there to help you clean up!  that baby Wil is a cutie!!

pdr - so excited for you to have baby Nate in your home!!  enjoy every moment!!  he is so adorable!!

eliz - hope the concert and traveling go well

tramps - cant believe how much snow you're getting, esp since you're area is not so equipped for it - love the pic of your dogs - they definitely look like they are having fun!! 

dh has his plow ready to go altho it doesn't look like we're going to get as much as the cape cod area  - just glad i dont have to go into work tonight or tom. night

pbj - very cool about your dd!!

i'm feeling better altho working last night and not going to bed until after noon today has me feeling drained right now but planning on a cozy night - made sauce/gravy, boiling spaghetti and then sitting down to my write out my Christmas cards........hope to get in an easy run tomorrow with my yak trax!!

safe travels to all tonight and tomorrow!!

denise