Masters Running

Thursday, Nov. 5 Daily Runs and Stories (Read 449 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning Gang!!!!

Up and out for 5 miles this morning.   Partly cloudy skies shadowing the moon was quite pretty.   In the woods I saw two pair of glowing eyes watching us run by.   I'm not sure if it was a deer - it didn't seem big enough - or a fox, or whatever .... but it kind of creeped me out.  

9:48 pace - 10:17 / 9:48 / 9:42 / 9:33 / 9:37 - 167 AHR

I'm feeling the effects of Tone Zone in my legs and I'm likin' it!  Big grin

SteveP - I think it is at the high school, but I will dig out the paper work and send you a note.

How did your doctor appointment go Dg?

I'm amazed at Erika running with stress fractures.   Not "just" running, but when she listed all the races to her doctor I was giggling at my desk.  

Have a great Thursday everyone!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Yes - Erika is a bit of a nut.  But as we like to say around here, she's our nut.  And a tough one at that.

6 miles at MP pace (9:16).   Knee was a little stiff at the end, but not too painful.  Doing the elliptical on alternate days seems to be working.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

I shook my head in amazement when I read that, Erika. 

I ran MP this morning, too!

8.2 miles, 1:05:25, 8:00/mi, AHR 162 (83% MHR)

I think my internal thermostat is shifting -- I don't need to wear as much as I used to for 35°.  I was too warm with two shirts, gloves and hat.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Tramps

Good morning, Mary.  Maybe the eyes belonged to some creature leftover from Halloween.  Boo!

Nice MP running from PDR and Lou.

Nice and chilly and calm here. 35F when I returned; perfect shorts and T-shirt weather (Hear that Lou! )  Easy 5.4 turned a little sproinky @ 8:12.

Be safe. Be kind.

4 easy, crisp fall miles this morning. Thanks to all for the kind words and support these last couple of days. It helps more than you know.
            Slo

Hey All !

Nice sunny frosty day here.

I did 30 mins on the stationary bike trainer....and.....I bike commuted to work today!  The 1st time since 10/7. Almost a month. I felt it.....the decrease in conditioning that is.....but it sure felt good to be able to do that at least.

I'm a little out of practice (habit) too.......upon arriving at work I realized my keys were at home. I had to find someone to open my office for me.

Now get out there and RUN !!!!!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice crispy 38° perfect for long sleeve tee and shorts.

4 miles at 10:06 pace ( 2 at 11, 2 at 9) then 30 min elliptical. Only one little sore spot left at base of quad.

(same spot that was sore for 20 miles on Sunday) then leg strenthening and 2 min plank.

The guy I passed at mile 19 on Sunday runs alot of marathons in socks (no padding, just socks). Here's his bolg site:

http://runninginsocks.blogspot.com/2009/11/city-of-oaks-marathon.html

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Morning, gang!

Eliz - sorry about the Phillies

CNY and Amy - you really do need a dog ;-).

dg - are you cleared for running???

{{{{{Craneium}}}}}

Mary - nice run in spite of the spooky eyes

Good frosty runs for the Beers, Tramps and Craneium this morning!

SLO - wish I was close enough to work to run or bike

Treadmill run for me this morning - less than sproinky, I'm afraid.  I did an "easy" 6.5 miles @ 10:10 - supposed to be easy, but the 160 AHR says otherwise. 

DH and I are off to Baton Rouge tomorrow for our weekend reunion.  I can hardly wait to hit some of our favorite seafood/cajun restaurants.  I had hoped to drop a few pounds as a cushion for all of the eating I'm planning to do - oh well, too late now ;-). 

Good runs all, and thanks again for your kindness - you folks are wonderful.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Thanks, Sue.  Only 4 months 'til spring training.  And "House" is on again next week, so I'll survive.    Besides, less baseball-watching = more time to RUN!!!!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Eliz - I think we have a House episode DVRed to watch tonight.  Thanks for reminding me.  

Yesterday’s fatigue turned into just feeling downright carpy, draggy and tired as the day wore on.  No specific symptoms I can put my finger on, though.  Maybe my body’s trying to fight something off.  I went out for a run this morning to see if it would shake off, but could barely muster up a slow jog.  If at all possible, I’d like to go home from work early and just crawl into bed – not like me at all.  I’ve been spoiled by good health for so long, I’m all out of sorts when I feel carpy.

3.4 very sluggish miles, some of it walking.

bleh

When I was driving home from my night class last night I was surprised to see Christmas lights already strung around some of the mall-district shops.  Seems so early for that.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

good morning!

Mary... funny.   5 miles for me this morning too.  :-).  and a 9:48 pace.  I am not kidding.  well, it was 5.02.

thanks (& thanks Carolyn )(& Sue!)  for asking about my doc appt.   I think it went pretty well..  S/I joint was out again which was good, because it explained some things.  As far as the knee.. yep, I'm cleared for running Smile.  he says my meniscus is fine.  Big Phew!.   He still says it's the bursa, & the popliteal tendon..    I got some advice but forgot to ask about running frequency & how much pain matters.  You know how it is when there are lots of topics to cover, but still, what a thing to forget.   I might call.

Harriet, are you having knee problems too?  Nice run this morning.(Lou too!)  I'm glad alternating is helping.

Yes, Erika is our nut.   Which reminds me of  "best in show".  ;-)

Erika, I was thinking last night, you should write a book.   Stress Fracture Healing for Maniacs.

Slo, so happy you can cycle!   Funny (sorry) about the keys.

Sue & Craneium... ((( ))).  

Perch,  nice run but be careful with that spot.   if you please.

I'd better get to work.    you guys are nuts... shorts & a t-shirt?   well, I wore shorts when it was 34 earlier this week, but tights today at 40.   It was windy, that is my excuse.

I tried a fartlek run (7 or 8) this morning, ike I said, 5.02 miles.  It was another beautiful day by the river.   My knee bothered me a little when I was done but it wasn't too bad.   I forgot my Polar at home (just now, not for the run) so don't know the maximum pace but don't think it was very fast.  the miles were similar to Tuesday, 10:30 or so, 9:30 ish, then 9:40s. 

Holly, I hope you aren't getting sick.   You do so much all the time, I wish you could get a break somehow.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Holly - you workout so hard and are always on the go - especially with your night classes too.   Maybe your body is just asking for a little rest time.  

CNY - Do I need to talk to your husband for you?  Wink

Enjoy your weekend getaway Sue!   Sounds like a lot of fun and good food!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

If at all possible, I’d like to go home from work early and just crawl into bed – not like me at all.   

Holly, that's for sure. There's a lot of crap going around - take care of yourself before it turns into something major. I think you need a nap and some TLC.

Lou - welcome to my world! Out this morning in 30° temps with a stiff wind in just running capris, long sleeved shirt and vest, 7.5 miles at a 9:27 pace. I love running in this kind of weather, though menopause may have had something to do with not feeling the cold.  Nice runs by the Beers this morning. By the way, I really like PDR's new avatar (yours too, Hallar!)

Deb - glad your doctor's appointment went well. Runners are a peculiar breed, as Erika has shown by continuing to run will all of her injuries. Seems like as long as we can put one foot in front of the other, we're out there.

Eliz - sorry about your team. I'm with you, though. Bring back "House." Can't wait to see the next episode. That show fills in the gap until "24" starts in January. Wow - think I need to get a life...

Sue - have a great weekend in Baton Rouge. Are you bringing running shoes?

Slo - glad you're back on your bike. Only a matter of time before you slip those running shoes back on. Hang in there.

Will is still on antibiotics for the blood infection, but has been moved off the cardiac floor to make room for some "really sick babies." I guess that's a good sign. He is still on oxygen, and the doctors are concerned about his little bouts of apnea. He won't be able to go home until they figure out what's causing them. But he's eating well (and pooping, according to his mother) and has gained 4 ounces this week. All good.

Have a great day everyone.

What to do????  It's a gym day for me BUT it is supposed to come veddy veddy close to 70 degrees here today!

[I may just try and eke out a little 2 or 3 miler after the gym........the schedule just may allow for it ]

Sue, have a great time.  I ran the marathon in Baton Rouge a few years ago, in December and loved it.  The city was feeling the crowding effects of folks moving there after Katrina, but it was still a charming place.  "Geaux Tigers!"

Eliz--wait 'til next year!  I'm going to get me down to see a spring training game I think--helps to have something to look forward to, and for now, there's all the trading and signing to follow.

Deb, good news--say, if you read this and have a moment, would you be able to direct to a site where I could info on the popliteal tendon?  My PT thought mine was perhaps involved in some allignment issues I had earlier this year.  Now the only time it bothers me is at the very start of runs, just slightly.  It's a hard area to isolate in terms of stretching.

Slo, I feel guilty.  I am close enough to bike to work and I used to do it, just didn't get back at it after a hard winter a few whiles ago.

Mary, I've been running a bit after work, in our well-lit city and I get creeped out by the slighest shawdow.  Be careful!

Get extra sleep, Holly, if you can.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

craneium and sue, I've had your posts on my mind and wanted to say something earlier but didn't know what to say.  It's terrible what you, and many others have gone through.  I hope that sharing with us, hard as it was to do, helps you.  tramps, congrats on your yearly mileage PR with almost two months to go.  hallar, I like the new avatar, grandpa.  It's neat the Twocat's and mariposai's got to have dinner together.  holly, I'm sorry to hear you're feeling carpy.  I could believe you've overdone as half of what you normally do would kill me.  Take care of yourself.  dg, I'm glad you are cleared to run, however, it doesn't seem like you ever stopped.  evan, with your running through stress fractures I don't know whether to commend you on your toughness or chastise you on your foolishness. 

Nice long runs for fatozzig and bike (super fast and then two kinds of super fast speedwork, wow).  Good job on the speedwork for deez on the TM.

This morning, it was in the high 40s with some wind.  I joined my fellow Michiganders, hopeful and dg, by doing 5 miles.  It took me a little under 47:30 for a 9:27 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS